Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,634 posts in this topic

Saturday, February 2

51WAWcxzSfL._SY355_.jpg

8:15 a.m.  The Third Man (1949).  Everyone’s favourite zither film.  Now if they could only make a film completely scored by Zamfir.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, February 2

8:15 a.m.  The Third Man (1949).  Everyone’s favourite zither film.  Now if they could only make a film completely scored by Zamfir.

for any fans of THE THIRD MAN, I discovered a couple of years ago that the film was so popular, it spawned a limited-run radio series THE LIVES OF HARRY LIME starring ORSON WELLES as the deceased protagonist narrating his various skullduggerous doings in pre and post-war Europe (presumably from the depths of Hell).

It's excellent- very black comedy and great writing- and, as mentioned in the opening, features zither music by ANTON KARRAS.

The first episode:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, February 3

marty_668_330_80_int_s_c1.jpg

10:30 a.m.  Marty (1955).  I saw this at a screening in London a few years ago and met Ernest Borgnine afterward.  It has a certain magic to it that is undeniable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Monday, February 4

Bicycle-3.jpg

5:30 a.m.  Bicycle Thieves (1948).  This Vittorio De Sica film swept up awards throughout the world.  In a way it put foreign language films on the map.

• Like 3

Tuesday, February 5

3151430074_96b1590b5b.jpg

4:15 pm.  Through a Glass Darkly (1961).   Harriet Andersson is terrific in this Ingmar Bergman film.

God Is a Spider.

• Like 2

Lots of great films on tomorrow. I do hope the print of The Walls of Malapaga is better than the really bad one previously shown on TCM. This seems to be a good film, but it needs a restoration.

I Vitelloni is one of the best early Fellini films, and if, like me, you greatly prefer early Fellini to later Fellini, this is a must-see.

• Like 2

Wednesday, February 6

"Hold until relieved"

the-longest-day-richard-todd-1962-tm-eve

8 p.m.  The Longest Day (1962).  The granddaddy of big budget all-star cast WWII films.  And it works!  Richard Todd plays the commander of the operation that he himself took part in on D-Day.

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, February 6

"Hold until relieved"

My urologist told me that very same thing.

• Haha 3

Thursday, February 7

wearyriver1929.964_011320140134.jpg

6:15 a.m.  Weary River (1929).  This is one that I have yet to see.  Directed by Frank Lloyd and starring Richard Barthelmess and Betty Compson.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Friday, February 8

6adf77879d20db07bf80797d88530eb1-kathari

6 a.m.  Adam’s Rib (1949).  They should remake this with George and Kellyanne Conway.

180330-conways-ap-1160.jpg
Ahh, maybe not ...
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2019 at 12:07 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, February 7

6:15 a.m.  Weary River (1929).  This is one that I have yet to see.  Directed by Frank Lloyd and starring Richard Barthelmess and Betty Compson.

This is one of those part-silent, part-talkie films. Who knew Richard Barthelmess could sing, though? I'm impressed!

On 2/6/2019 at 3:07 AM, Bogie56 said:

Weary River (1929). 

Why couldn't Barthelmess write a second song?

Saturday, February 9

I see that The Madness of King George (1994) originally scheduled for 3:30 pm. has been scrapped.  My pick ..

1967_InTheHeatOfTheNight-750x400.jpg

8 p.m.  In the Heat of the Night (1967).  Norman Jewison’s multi-Oscar winner.

Sunday, February 10

9be78b78e8749a970caac49581afc04a.jpg

10 a.m.  A Little Romance (1979).  A young Diane Lane proves she has a good future in acting.

Monday, February 11

MV5BNTQ3OWVmZTgtNGJjNS00NDI0LWE3ZjgtYmI0

8:15 a.m.  What Price Hollywood?  (1932).  This is right up there with any other version of A Star Is Born.

Tuesday, February 12

Happy to see that TCM is leaving room on the Oscar menu for a bit of cheese.

post-284016-0-84239600-1367908383.jpg

8:15 a.m.  The Desert Song (1944).  Arabs and Nazis!  And probably big tents in sound stages too.  Funny how the tents always look smaller on the outside.

Wednesday, February 13

6104067107_495e055d9c_b.jpg

9:15 a.m.  A Woman of Affairs (1928).  Garbo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, February 13

6104067107_495e055d9c_b.jpg

9:15 a.m.  A Woman of Affairs (1928).  Garbo.

I guess it's not likely that the day will ever come when this film will be simply identified as:

A Woman of Affairs (1928). Brown.

• Like 1

Thursday, February 14

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStnlKZMf-a27IcpEvxJic

10 p.m.  Father of the Bride (1950).  One of Spencer Tracy’s best performances.

• Like 1

Friday, February 15

lifeboat.jpg

10 p.m.  Lifeboat (1944).  It’s been ages since I’ve seen this Hitchcock film.  Tallulah Bankhead is pretty good.

And this is from Fred C. Dobbs' The Worst Possible Cast Selections thread, May 15 2015:

Life Boat starring (a corpulent) Marlon Brando, Orson Welles, Shelley Winters, Sidney Greenstreet, Hattie McDaniel, Raymond Burr, Aylene Gibbons, Cuddles Sakall, Darlene Cates, Oliver Hardy, Melissa McCarthy, Victor Buono, Totie Fields, Jackie Gleason, Divine and Fatty Arbuckle

• Haha 2

Saturday, February 16

maxresdefault.jpg

8 p.m.  It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963).  Jonathan Winters takes on Arnold Stang and Marvin Kaplan.  Ethel Merman is great too.

spoiler ...

EnchantingSnarlingAmericancrocodile-max-

Durante kicks the bucket.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2019 at 2:02 AM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, February 15

this is from Fred C. Dobbs' The Worst Possible Cast Selections thread, May 15 2015:

Life Boat starring (a corpulent) Marlon Brando, Orson Welles, Shelley Winters, Sidney Greenstreet, Hattie McDaniel, Raymond Burr, Aylene Gibbons, Cuddles Sakall, Darlene Cates, Oliver Hardy, Melissa McCarthy, Victor Buono, Totie Fields, Jackie Gleason, Divine and Fatty Arbuckle

That may well be the funniest thing I can recall ever reading on this website and I would give my back molars if somehow this could have come to fruition in real life (against all sorts of odds, of course.)

tomorrow starting at 9:30 is a good Western double feature, starting with THE WESTERNER (1940)- which seems to (justifiably) be on a lot of people's lists of FAVORITE WILLIAM WYLER FILMS, even though I do not think it was nominated for Best Picture...this is followed by THE OX-BOW INCIDENT (1943) which was nominated for Best Picture, and [I may be wrong here?] nothing else.

the latter of the two has been on an awful lot lately, but i'll let it slide since it is a film that I can watch an infinite number of times. (it's really good.)

(although it always bothers me when that door opens for a split second after a character has allegedly just shot and killed himself.)

edit- just looked it up, apparently THE OX-BOW INCIDENT was the last time (to date) that a film received a single nomination for BEST PICTURE and no others.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, February 16

maxresdefault.jpg

8 p.m.  It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963).  Jonathan Winters takes on Arnold Stang and Marvin Kaplan.  Ethel Merman is great too.

spoiler ...

Hide contents

EnchantingSnarlingAmericancrocodile-max-

Durante kicks the bucket.

One share for being a person, one share for being a person in a car, one share for ...

• Haha 1