Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,549 posts in this topic

Sunday, February 17

MV5BZmIzMzIzMjktZTI5Mi00NmY2LWIwZmMtNDhl

10:45 p.m.  Agnes of God (1985).   Norman Jewison film with Jane Fonda, Anne Bancroft and Meg Tilly.

• Thanks 1

Monday, February 18

high-noon.jpg

8 p.m.  High Noon (1952).  Great real time western by Fred Zinnemann.  It is playing in the big theatre at the BFI in March which I'm going to try to catch.  It should be a different experience altogether.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday, February 19

blowup.jpg

midnight.  Blow-up (1966) Michaelangelo Antonioni in London.  With David Hemmings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, February 19

blowup.jpg

midnight.  Blow-up (1966) Michaelangelo Antonioni in London.  With David Hemmings.

...AND Vanessa Regrave (at her most humorless), Sarah Miles, Jane Birkin's **** hair, mimes playing tennis and very little discernable plot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hemmings had the face of a baby fox back then. 

I love when he visits the antique store though, and also the bit with the Yardbirds and Jeff Beck and Zoso!

Lorna, the expurgation of the word before "hair" and after "Birkin's" in your post made me have some strange visions of rhyming accoutrements.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Hemmings had the face of a baby fox back then. 

I love when he visits the antique store though, and also the bit with the Yardbirds and Jeff Beck and Zoso!

Lorna, the expurgation of the word before "hair" and after "Birkin's" in your post made me have some strange visions of rhyming accoutrements.

People forget that David Hemmings was quite an accomplished child and then teenage actor.  Those films play in Britain but most have probably not made it across the pond to any lasting degree.

oct-07-1954-boy-opera-star-photo-shows-1

3127e5d35f188e352cd0ceb8956367b2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, February 20

4c5be85d8ef59435a21dd4d8818e7082.png

10 p.m.  A Man For All Seasons (1966).   Robert Bolt’s play directed by Fred Zinnemann and starring Paul Scofield, Wendy Hiller, Robert Shaw and John Hurt as Richie Rich!

• Thanks 1

WOW! Something interesting and somewhat rare is showing during Oscar month!

2/20 at 12:15 am (which I would have complained about before I got HULU), 1954'S THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY, which I have heretofore been unable to see (I think for many years it was tied up in rights issues?)

Maltin's review (for the 2 cents it's worth)

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    
(three and a half-stars, [LHF note: aka as good as 1960'S LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS in the eyes of LEONARD MALTIN, at least])

William A. Wellman. John Wayne, Claire Trevor, Laraine Day, Robert Stack, Jan Sterling, Phil Harris, Robert Newton, David Brian, Paul Kelly. Granddaddy of all the airborne disaster films, and more fun than most of them put together: a GRAND HOTEL cast of characters boards a flight from Hawaii to the mainland, little dreaming of the trouble in store. Corny and predictable but great fun, bolstered by Dimitri Tiomkin's Oscar-winning music. Written by Ernest K. Gann. CinemaScope.

ps- have any of you noticed when copying and pasting MALTIN'S reviews from the full schedule, for some reason his starred ratings don't "translate" and instead are a Mr. Yucky Face?

I have to hope that this is a computer issue and not a command of Maltin's that his starred reviews are so sacred that they are not to be copied and pasted.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WOW! Something interesting and somewhat rare is showing during Oscar month!

2/20 at 12:15 am (which I would have complained about before I got HULU), 1954'S THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY, which I have heretofore been unable to see (I think for many years it was tied up in rights issues?)

Maltin's review (for the 2 cents it's worth)

Yes, not long ago a VHS copy of The High and the Mighty would run you several hundred dollars on ebay.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2019 at 1:05 AM, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, February 19

blowup.jpg

Or THROW UP as I call it...........

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Yes, not long ago a VHS copy of The High and the Mighty would run you several hundred dollars on ebay.

I hope I remember to record this! I remember watching it on tv when I was little. I think Wayne owned the rights to it. Why it wasnt shown on tv for ages........

It's been nearly 15 years now since they finally released The High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky on home video. I liked them both, but wouldn't rank either as fantastic. The multiple Oscar nominations that The High and the Mighty earned are a bit baffling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, February 21

8-12-14.jpeg

8 p.m.  8 1/2 (1963).  Very well cut Federico Fellini classic with Marcello Mastroianni.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

. The multiple Oscar nominations that The High and the Mighty earned are a bit baffling.

there are a LOT of baffling nominations throughout the 50's, the whole decade is really singular in how off-the-wall many of the nominees and selections and omissions were, so I am expecting something kinda NUTS.

I respect WILLIAM WELLMAN a lot though, and I know he got nominated for BEST DIRECTOR (for only the secon d time maybe?)  even though the film was not nominated for BEST PICTURE.

I am also glad that  JAN STERLING- who many of you may know from CAGED- got an Oscar nomination at some point in her career, although she really deserved a Best Actress nomination for ACE IN THE HOLE from three years before.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvaUAxu_x1lGBIROYq0uM

The DVD Special Edition of "The High and the Mighty" has some interesting extras, including interviews with Karen Sharpe, who played one of the young newlyweds, and Doe Avedon, who was the stewardess, I mean Flight Attendant.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

there are a LOT of baffling nominations throughout the 50's, the whole decade is really singular in how off-the-wall many of the nominees and selections and omissions were, so I am expecting something kinda NUTS.

I respect WILLIAM WELLMAN a lot though, and I know he got nominated for BEST DIRECTOR (for only the secon d time maybe?)  even though the film was not nominated for BEST PICTURE.

I am also glad that  JAN STERLING- who many of you may know from CAGED- got an Oscar nomination at some point in her career, although she really deserved a Best Actress nomination for ACE IN THE HOLE from three years before.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvaUAxu_x1lGBIROYq0uM

Jan Sterling was nominated for that? I didnt know. It's a 50s version of Airport. I dont remember it that well

16 hours ago, Hibi said:

I hope I remember to record this! I remember watching it on tv when I was little. I think Wayne owned the rights to it. Why it wasnt shown on tv for ages........

I remember when this first came to TCM or AMC and I anticipated enjoying it.  Not so much.

The title song is very good though.

• Thanks 1

Not even a guilty pleasure? I remember one scene vividly, one of the female passengers taking off her make up while giving a soliloquy to the camera. I think it was Jan Sterling.

• Thanks 1

That scene with Jan Sterling removing her make-up stayed with me a long time after watching the movie as a kid. 

She said she hated watching it, because she looked like some kind of space alien.

I also vividly recalled the scene where all the luggage and fixtures are jettisoned as the plane is in air; it's discussed on the DVD commentary that it's the most action filled sequence, and the women all pitch in to help out, while some of the men still cower in their seats.

Stars like Crawford, Barbara Stanwyck and Loretta Young were approached for the Sterling and Claire Trevor roles, but none would take a supporting part.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Jan Sterling was nominated for that? I didnt know. It's a 50s version of Airport. I dont remember it that well

Jan Sterling and Claire Trevor (her third) were both nominated for supporting actress for THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY.

FROM THE IMDB AWARDS PAGE FOR "THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY."

Academy Awards, USA 1955

Winner
Oscar

Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture
Dimitri Tiomkin

Nominee
Oscar
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Jan Sterling
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Claire Trevor
Best Director
William A. Wellman
Best Film Editing
Ralph Dawson
Best Music, Original Song
Dimitri Tiomkin (music)
Ned Washington (lyrics)
For the song "The High and the Mighty"

Golden Globes, USA 1955

Winner
Golden Globe
Best Supporting Actress
Jan Sterling
Most Promising Newcomer - Female
Karen Sharpe

Directors Guild of America, USA 1955

Nominee
DGA Award
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion Pictures
William A. Wellman

A classic case of "canceling each other out" or did Eva Marie really deserve it?  Sterling was fine in my opinion, Trevor wasn't much of a part  Both were true supporting roles, however.