Jan Sterling
Most Promising Newcomer - Female
Karen Sharpe

Directors Guild of America, USA 1955

Nominee
DGA Award
Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion Pictures
William A. Wellman

OK, I'm confused by this. It looks like there are two best supporting actress Oscar winners from High and the Mighty. There were two nominees from that film for supporting actress. The only winner for that film was Dimitri Tiomkin for music score, as you show. Sometimes this message board reformats cut and pastes in a strange form.

Plus just a pet peeve of mine - I hate hate hate how online resources have the Academy Awards listed by the year of ceremony instead of the time period that it covered. This resource, for example, has the first Academy Award ceremony listed as 1929 - which is correct. But if you didn't look any closer you'd think the Academy was handing out awards in the first full year of talking pictures to a bunch of silent films. Of course everybody on this message board knows better. Here is the link for the awards handed out in 1955 for the calendar year 1954.

https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/1955

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Jan Sterling and Claire Trevor (her third) were both nominated for supporting actress for THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY.

Yes, I checked imdb after I read that. They probably cancelled each other out. Who won that year?

The imdb list IS confusing. It did to me too, at first. The only win was for score. The rest were just nominations. They didnt put enough space between the win and the nominations.

6 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

OK, I'm confused by this. It looks like there are two best supporting actress Oscar winners from High and the Mighty. There were two nominees from that film for supporting actress. The only winner for that film was Dimitri Tiomkin for music score, as you show. Sometimes this message board reformats cut and pastes in a strange form.

Plus just a pet peeve of mine - I hate hate hate how online resources have the Academy Awards listed by the year of ceremony instead of the time period that it covered. This resource, for example, has the first Academy Award ceremony listed as 1929 - which is correct. But if you didn't look any closer you'd think the Academy was handing out awards in the first full year of talking pictures to a bunch of silent films. Of course everybody on this message board knows better. Here is the link for the awards handed out in 1955 for the calendar year 1954.

No, it's imdb's fault. That's how it looked on there. If confused me too at first.

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I checked imdb after I read that. They probably cancelled each other out. Who won that year?

Eva Marie Saint, On the Waterfront

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Eva Marie Saint, On the Waterfront

Yes, I read that farther down, but thanks.

That was the year Edith Head stole the best costume award. And 3 Coins in the Fountain beat The Man That Got Away for Best Song! Odd, I thought Sabrina was nominated for best picture that year, but it wasnt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

there are a LOT of baffling nominations throughout the 50's, the whole decade is really singular in how off-the-wall many of the nominees and selections and omissions were, so I am expecting something kinda NUTS.

I respect WILLIAM WELLMAN a lot though, and I know he got nominated for BEST DIRECTOR (for only the secon d time maybe?)  even though the film was not nominated for BEST PICTURE.

I am also glad that  JAN STERLING- who many of you may know from CAGED- got an Oscar nomination at some point in her career, although she really deserved a Best Actress nomination for ACE IN THE HOLE from three years before.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvaUAxu_x1lGBIROYq0uM

Here is how imdb rates films from the 50s (top 5 for each year) if you use advanced search. This was done in January of this year, so you can see few American films from the 50s seem to hold up today. Best Picture Oscar winners are shown in bold. None are top rated for their year.  Only four Best Picture winners appear in the top five for their year at all. 1955 only has one American film in the top five - Night of the Hunter - and it is rated number 5.

1. North By Northwest              8.3
2. Some Like It Hot                   8.2
3. Ben Hur                               8.1
4. The 400 Blows                      8.1
5. Anatomy of a Murder             8.0

1. Vertigo                                 8.3
2. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof             8.1
3. Hidden Fortress                     8.1
4. Touch of Evil                          8.0
5. Elevator to The Gallows           8.0

1. 12 Angry Men                             8.9
2. Paths of Glory                            8.4
3. Witness For the Prosecution        8.4
4. The Cranes Are Flying                 8.3
5. Bridge over The River Kwai      8.2

1, A Man Escaped                           8.2
2. The Killing                                  8.0
3. The Searchers                            8.0
4. The Ten Commandments             7.9
5. Invasion of the Body Snatchers    7.8        

1. Pather Panchali                            8.5
2. Rififi                                           8.2
3. Ordet                                         8.2
4. Diabolique                                  8.1
5. Night of the Hunter                     8.0

1. Seven Samurai                           8.7
2. Rear Window                             8.5
3. Dial M For Murder                       8.2
4. On The Waterfront                  8.2
5. La Strada                                  8.1

1. Tokyo Story                              8.2
2. Ugetsu                                     8.2
3. Wages of Fear                           8.1
4. Roman Holiday                          8.1
5. Stalag 17                                  8.0

1. Singin In The Rain                      8.3
2. Ikiru                                         8.3
3. Umberto D                                8.2
4. Limelight                                   8.1
5. High Noon                                 8.1

1. Ace In the Hole                          8.2
2. Christmas Carol                         8.1
3. Strangers on A Train                  8.0
4. Streetcar Named Desire              8.0
5. The African Queen                      7.9

1. Sunset Boulevard                      8.4
2. Rashomon                                8.3
3. All About Eve                          8.3
4. Young and the Damned             8.3
5. Harvey                                     8.0

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I know what you mean in re: year of ceremony v. Year of film 

I tried to correct the spacing of what I copied and pasted to make it clear that the film only won one Oscar, for the score

. In my old age I’ve gotten lazy and forgetful, I should’ve just memorized the facts and typed them out here.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 9:20 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

WOW! Something interesting and somewhat rare is showing during Oscar month!

2/20 at 12:15 am (which I would have complained about before I got HULU), 1954'S THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY, which I have heretofore been unable to see (I think for many years it was tied up in rights issues?)

It's an entertaining film, with a memorable theme song. But it's overlong, and much of the flashbacks are uninteresting. I suppose they are intended to make us care about the passengers. 

It's always fun to see Wayne b-slap Robert Stack. But then as the plane is about to land, we have to hear Wayne say "now I lay me down ta sleep." Geez.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

It's an entertaining film, with a memorable theme song. But it's overlong, and much of the flashbacks are uninteresting. I suppose they are intended to make us care about the passengers. 

It's always fun to see Wayne b-slap Robert Stack. But then as the plane is about to land, we have to hear Wayne say "now I lay me down ta sleep." Geez.

I really loved the theme music for this movie. I even had a recording of it.

I thought it was a cinematic compliment when Robert Stack was slapped by Wayne because that means he was really up there with the top notch Stars. Like taking William Holden's place in "The Horse Soldiers" with John Wayne.

I only have seen this movie Once, I believe it was in the 1960s. But what really takes the edge off John Wayne's slap is when they land the plane--

Then Robert Stack explains how his wife is having a baby and he doesn't want to keep her waiting. That might explain some of the anxiety of his character.

But for me it was a great slap that put Bob Stack one on one with the big star.

• Thanks 1

Eva Marie really deserved it.  Watch the scene where Brando tells her what he did to her brother.

• Like 1

They actually had 3 WRITING AWARDS that year???? Weird.

Friday, February 22

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKC2heNpr-a8AvXvrHOTn

9:30 a.m.  Umberto D. (1952).  Another heartbreaker from Vittorio de Sica.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2019 at 6:08 PM, LawrenceA said:

It's been nearly 15 years now since they finally released The High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky on home video. I liked them both, but wouldn't rank either as fantastic. The multiple Oscar nominations that The High and the Mighty earned are a bit baffling.

I agree about both films.

The High and the Mighty is an okay entertainment but nothing special, a sort of Grand Hotel In The Skies soaper with a touch of disaster film mixed in. It may well be best known for the Dimitri Tiomkin title song "whistled" by John Wayne, which helped to make the film a commercial hit.

Even though it's the Duke's answer for everything, it's kinda fun watching him slap pilot Robert Stack across the face when he starts to freak out.

FiveFingersFaceHighandMightyTrailerScree

Take that, ya wimp! And I didn`t like your performance in Bullfighter and the Lady, too!

14 hours ago, Hibi said:

They actually had 3 WRITING AWARDS that year???? Weird.

FOR MANY, many years they had three writing awards- and they changed the names and rules around a lot, in fact (if memory serves me correctly) the three categories were for many years: best original story (yes, just for coming up with the idea), best screenplay (adaptations sometimes allowed and sometimes not) and best story and screenplay.

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW, for example won an Oscar for the original story to PYGMALION in 1938 even though he had (as i recall) next to nothing to do with the making of the film.

it all made very little sense and was rather arbitrary in what was allowed and not, so i'm frankly stunned they changed it to make more sense (just adapted and original screenplay.)

DANG IT.

75% of what airs on TCM shows up on HULU ON DEMAND, so I just sort of assumed that THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY would be in my cue in this morning and thus far it is not.

Should have recorded it I guess!

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

FOR MANY, many years they had three writing awards- and they changed the names and rules around a lot, in fact (if memory serves me correctly) the three categories were for many years: best original story (yes, just for coming up with the idea), best screenplay (adaptations sometimes allowed and sometimes not) and best story and screenplay.

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW, for example won an Oscar for the original story to PYGMALION in 1938 even though he had (as i recall) next to nothing to do with the making of the film.

it all made very little sense and was rather arbitrary in what was allowed and not, so i'm frankly stunned they changed it to make more sense (just adapted and original screenplay.)

Yes, I know it changed over time, but didn't realize there were 3 for awhile. What if you wrote the original story and the screenplay? Would you get 2 awards? LOL.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DANG IT.

75% of what airs on TCM shows up on HULU ON DEMAND, so I just sort of assumed that THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY would be in my cue in this morning and thus far it is not.

Should have recorded it I guess!

Too bad. Was looking forward to your review. Considering the rights issue over this film for years, might have something to do with it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I know it changed over time, but didn't realize there were 3 for awhile. What if you wrote the original story and the screenplay? Would you get 2 awards? LOL.

IN SOME INSTANCES, POSSIBLY.

Even I, with my useless but impresively extensive knowledge of the nominations from the years 1931-1999 don't remember many of the nominees/winners/number of categories WHEN IT COMES TO SCREENPLAY CATEGORIES...

(although, of course, there are exceptions like PIERRE BOULLE "winning" for RIVER KWAI or The Bowery Boys finally earning that richly deserved nomination in 1956 for HIGH SOCIETY)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

IN SOME INSTANCES, POSSIBLY.

Even I, with my useless but impresively extensive knowledge of the nominations from the years 1931-1999 don't remember many of the nominees/winners/number of categories WHEN IT COMES TO SCREENPLAY CATEGORIES...

(although, of course, there are exceptions like PIERRE BOULLE "winning" for RIVER KWAI or The Bowery Boys finally earning that richly deserved nomination in 1956 for HIGH SOCIETY)

Your self effacing spirit is evident, Lorna calling your movie knowledge "useless" but I find that the people with such knowledge in film lore are the most enjoyable ones to discuss things with! Keep up the good work on entertaining and enlightening all here as you are a joy to know.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 11:55 AM, calvinnme said:

Here is how imdb rates films from the 50s (top 5 for each year) if you use advanced search. This was done in January of this year, so you can see few American films from the 50s seem to hold up today. Best Picture Oscar winners are shown in bold. None are top rated for their year.  Only four Best Picture winners appear in the top five for their year at all. 1955 only has one American film in the top five - Night of the Hunter - and it is rated number 5.

1. North By Northwest              8.3
2. Some Like It Hot                   8.2
3. Ben Hur                               8.1
4. The 400 Blows                      8.1
5. Anatomy of a Murder             8.0

1. Vertigo                                 8.3
2. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof             8.1
3. Hidden Fortress                     8.1
4. Touch of Evil                          8.0
5. Elevator to The Gallows           8.0

1. 12 Angry Men                             8.9
2. Paths of Glory                            8.4
3. Witness For the Prosecution        8.4
4. The Cranes Are Flying                 8.3
5. Bridge over The River Kwai      8.2

1, A Man Escaped                           8.2
2. The Killing                                  8.0
3. The Searchers                            8.0
4. The Ten Commandments             7.9
5. Invasion of the Body Snatchers    7.8        

1. Pather Panchali                            8.5
2. Rififi                                           8.2
3. Ordet                                         8.2
4. Diabolique                                  8.1
5. Night of the Hunter                     8.0

1. Seven Samurai                           8.7
2. Rear Window                             8.5
3. Dial M For Murder                       8.2
4. On The Waterfront                  8.2
5. La Strada                                  8.1

1. Tokyo Story                              8.2
2. Ugetsu                                     8.2
3. Wages of Fear                           8.1
4. Roman Holiday                          8.1
5. Stalag 17                                  8.0

1. Singin In The Rain                      8.3
2. Ikiru                                         8.3
3. Umberto D                                8.2
4. Limelight                                   8.1
5. High Noon                                 8.1

1. Ace In the Hole                          8.2
2. Christmas Carol                         8.1
3. Strangers on A Train                  8.0
4. Streetcar Named Desire              8.0
5. The African Queen                      7.9

1. Sunset Boulevard                      8.4
2. Rashomon                                8.3
3. All About Eve                          8.3
4. Young and the Damned             8.3
5. Harvey                                     8.0

As I have said before, they need to determine the awards 3 years after the movie comes out.  Let all the hoopla and buzz die down.  Of course, the studios will still do their politicking, advertising, campaigning and arm twisting. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheCid said:

As I have said before, they need to determine the awards 3 years after the movie comes out.  Let all the hoopla and buzz die down.  Of course, the studios will still do their politicking, advertising, campaigning and arm twisting. 

Since the main purpose of awards is PR,  it makes zero sense to hold them 3 years later.

Feeding off of hoopla and buzz,  and generating more, in a self-fulling cycle, is what awards are all about.

Saturday, February 23/24

treas_sm82.jpg

1:15 a.m.  The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948).  Great John Huston film.

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, February 23/24

treas_sm82.jpg

1:15 a.m.  The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948).  Great John Huston film.

I still say that guy in the middle looks  like Tom.

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

I still say that guy in the middle looks  like Tom.

Well, he certainly dresses like me.