Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,768 posts in this topic

"Comedy" implies it's actually funny.

3 hours ago, Fedya said:

"Comedy" implies it's actually funny.

You imply it's not.

I'm a fan of The Party myself, politically correct or not.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2019 at 1:08 AM, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, April 10

hqdefault.jpg

11:45 a.m.  The Relaxed Wife (1957).  “A short industrial film that seeks to help working men and their wives deal with life’s little problems.”  Looks terribly up to date.

This short was made by Roehrig pharmaceuticals, apparently before anybody knew that sedatives were very addictive. I don't know what drug Roehrig made in this class, but Hoffman-La Roche released valium in the US in 1963.

Saturday, April 13

Flash_Gordon_Conquers_the_Universe_lobby

9:30 a.m. Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe: The Fiery Abyss (1940).

popeye-the-sailor-episode-47-hospitaliky

10 a.m.  Popeye: Hospitaliky (1990?????).

SoldiersThree1951.1285_050720150524.jpg

2:30 a.m.  Soldiers Three (1951).  Abysmal remake of Gunga Din (1939).  Miss!

tonight's UNDERGROUND features LADY SNOWBLOOD (aka KILL BILL VOL. .5) at 3:30 am...I saw this when it ran on TCM  a year ago and it's really good. I recommend it highly, although I found the sequel (not airing this time) to be a little disappointing.

the actress playing the title character is, as I recall, not only exceptionally beautiful but also a really good actress.

81vapCeOEgL._SL1500_.jpg

LADY STREET FIGHTER comes on before it, I have not seen it, but i seem to maybe recall a review from Lawrence where he claimed it contained some of the worst acting he had ever seen...am i right?

(If I am, I am DEFINITELY down with watching it.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

tonight's UNDERGROUND features LADY SNOWBLOOD (aka KILL BILL VOL. .5) at 3:30 am...I saw this when it ran on TCM  a year ago and it's really good. I recommend it highly, although I found the sequel (not airing this time) to be a little disappointing.

the actress playing the title character is, as I recall, not only exceptionally beautiful but also a really good actress.

81vapCeOEgL._SL1500_.jpg

LADY STREET FIGHTER comes on before it, I have not seen it, but i seem to maybe recall a review from Lawrence where he claimed it contained some of the worst acting he had ever seen...am i right?

(If I am, I am DEFINITELY down with watching it.)

If I remember, it varies between bad acting and people speaking their lines. But if I have to sit through Lady Street Fighter again to get to Lady Snowblood, then I will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, April 14

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM7AoXujRsPs_7y38-tyU

2 a.m.  The Petrified Forest (1936).  Humphrey Bogart makes a splash as Duke Mantee.

A lot of great movies on tomorrow:

Swing Time

Bringing Up Baby

The Man Who Came to Dinner

Sweet Smell of Success

It Happened One Night

The Petrified Forest

Cat People

---

Another movie showing that I especially like is Dance, Girl, Dance starring Lucille Ball and Maureen O'Hara. Lucille Ball plays a burlesque dancer named Bubbles.  Maureen O'Hara plays aspiring ballerina, Judy.  Both Lucy and Maureen are part of the same struggling dance troupe.  Lucy, tired of being part of a dance troupe that is getting nowhere, leaves the company and starts a career in burlesque.  The conflict with Maureen's character is that she wants to be a ballerina and the dance troupe she joins seems to only book cabaret gigs.  Lucy ends up hitting it big as a burlesque dancer.  When the dance troupe disbands, Lucy hires Maureen to be the stooge in her act. Maureen, still wanting to be a ballerina, is tired of being the brunt of Lucy's act.  The main conflict in this film is that Lucy and Maureen have both fallen for the same man.

I enjoy this film because I love Lucy and enjoy Maureen O'Hara's work.  This film is especially interesting because this was the film that Lucy was in the middle of filming when she met Desi Arnaz.  She had just completed filming a catfight and visited the set of her next film, Too Many Girls (featuring Desi Arnaz), in costume.  Decked out in a torn gown and a fake black eye, Desi was not impressed.  It was only after she cleaned up and met him again that he fell for her.  Lucy on the other hand, says she fell for Desi in about 5 minutes. 

• Like 4

Monday, April 15

gif5.gif?w=490

8 p.m.  King Kong (1933).  How did a little girl from Alberta, Canada wind up with such a big ape?  I see that there are still no July 1st Canada Day films on the schedule.

Tuesday, April 16

history-movies-3.jpg

9:45 p.m.  Gettysburg (1993).  According to the original schedule Part Two is followed by Part One!  Replaced in Canada by Doctor Zhivago (1965).

Wednesday, April 17

ti100990.jpg

1:30 p.m.  Egypt by Three (1953).  Trilogy of stories.  I haven’t seen this one and it has Joseph Cotten in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, April 18

MagnificentGloomyCrownofthornsstarfish-s

9:45 p.m.  The Quiet Man (1952).  Probably my favourite John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara performances.

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, April 18

9:45 p.m.  The Quiet Man (1952).  Probably my favourite John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara performances.

I suspect that many non-Wayne fans will like him in this one since his character is long suffering and takes a lot of abuse for the majority of the film before he finally explodes. This has to be O'Hara's finest moment in the movies.

cropped_Maureen-OHara-The-Quiet-Man.jpg?

Friday, April 19/20

EoaSCover.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Eyes of a Stranger (1981).  I wish I could have heard the pitch for this one.  It’s not enough to go up against a serial killer but you have to look after your blind, deaf and mute sister while doing so.  With Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Saturday, April 20

9533337900_dffebfd8d3_b.jpg

9:30 a.m. Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe: The Pool of Peril (1940).

6.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: The Twisker Pitcher (1937)

MV5BNTRiZGI4NjItNWZkYi00MDViLWI5ZDEtODEx

mid.  Woman on the Run (1950).  With Ann Sheridan.

• Thanks 1

Sunday, April 21/22

Day+of+Wrath+9.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Day of Wrath (1943).  Carl Dreyer film

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 5:31 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, April 20

9533337900_dffebfd8d3_b.jpg

9:30 a.m. Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe: The Pool of Peril (1940).

mid.  Woman on the Run (1950).  With Ann Sheridan.

Watched Flash and my wife and I wondered about the costumes (other than the guys with funny head coverings).  Appears someone went to costume dept. and said OK we can use these from Robin Hood for Flash's crew and we can use these military uniforms from a eastern European movie.

Woman on the Run is fairly good.  Have it on a multi-movie DVD and the quality is not so good.  Hopefully TCM has a better version.

Mon/Tuesday, 12:30 AM ET.  Niagara.  This is a very good movie and Marilyn Monroe actually does very well in a serious role.  Lots of Niagara Falls scenery as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Monday, April 22/23

naztynuisance1943_030420131017.jpg

5:15 a.m.  That Nazty Nuisance (1943).  Hitler summons the Axis leaders to a secret meeting caught on film by Hal Roach.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, April 22/23

naztynuisance1943_030420131017.jpg

5:15 a.m.  That Nazty Nuisance (1943).  Hitler summons the Axis leaders to a secret meeting caught on film by Hal Roach.

Yeh, those Axis leaders had to be pretty dumb not to notice the camera rolling on them in that meeting, especially when the cameraman had "Hal Roach Studios" written on his cap.

6 hours ago, TomJH said:

Yeh, those Axis leaders had to be pretty dumb not to notice the camera rolling on them in that meeting, especially when the cameraman had "Hal Roach Studios" written on his cap.

The Germans did like to document everything.  Leni was out of favour at this point.

Tuesday, April 23

fort-apache-john-wayne-1948-everett.jpg

2:15 p.m.  Fort Apache (1948).  John Wayne is purdy darned good in this one.

Wednesday, April 24

“Children’s ice cream Mandrake”

dr._strangelove_-_ripper_and_mandrake.pn

11:45 a.m.  Dr. Strangelove (1964).  Okay, already.  This is the third time this month.  

• Haha 1

Thursday, April 25

finemadness_hanklongfellow_FC_470x264_03

11 a.m.  A Fine Madness (1966).  I saw this ages ago and was expecting more.  It may be worth revisiting.