Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,475 posts in this topic

Friday, April 26

caught+plastered+lobby.jpg

12:45 p.m.  Caught Plastered (1932).  Wheeler and Woolsey.

large.png?1513112513

3:30 p.m.  Peach-O-Reno (1932).  Another Wheeler and Woolsey.

11928353%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

5 p.m.  Cockeyed Cavaliers (1934)  Yet another Wheeler and Woolsey.

mary_janes_not_a_virgin_01_4web__large_1

2 a.m.  Mary Jane’s Not a Virgin Anymore (1996).  You should read the imdb reviews of this one.  They couldn’t be more divided.  1/10 … 10/10.

i_was_a_teenage_serial_killer_02_4web__l

3:45 am.  I Was a Teenage Serial Killer (1993).  “Mary was a good girl until she decides to kill all the sexist pigs.”

• Thanks 1

Oh dear lord... Nine Wheeler & Woolsey movies in a row, and I've only seen three of them? Ooooh! This is the biggest thing to hit TCM since George Formby day!

Well, I wasn't planning to sleep tonight anyway...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Saturday, April 27

9530553981_2d43227344_b.jpg

9:30 a.m. Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe: The Death Mist (1940).

BruisedSmartBluetonguelizard-poster.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Morning, Noon and Night Club (1937).

1*Vjuogco6T8G3oONZ_rTeJA.jpeg

1:45 p.m.  The Stranger (1946).  Good Orson Welles picture and everyone is terrific.  Loretta Young too in what I would think wasn’t a terribly easy part.  This is replaced in Canada with Key to the City (1950).

Wow is Olive Oyl flexible.  :lol:

Sunday, April 28

BabyFaceStill3-1.png

11 p.m.  Baby Face (1933).  With Barbara Stanwyck.

• Like 1

Monday, April 29

23736_001_3812.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

8 p.m.  Best of Private Screenings (2019)

11 p.m.  Robert Osborne’s 20th Anniversary Tribute.

• Thanks 2

Tuesday, April 30

ymzwuix6pneikp0nrcms.jpg

10 p.m.  The Wild North (1952).  Mountie picture with Stewart Granger.  See how it easy it would be to program a TCM Canada Day - July 1st !!!

Wednesday, May 1

MV5BMGZhOWZmNzQtZjhmZC00NzE4LTg2NDYtOWM5

6 a.m.  Alias French Gertie (1930).  With Bebe Daniels.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, May 1

This will be the first time this film has been on TCM since 1998, so it might as well be a premiere!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, May 1

FYI.......

synopsis:  A female thief poses as a maid to bilk her high-society employers.

"Reception

The New York Times critic, Mordaunt Hall, gave the film a lukewarm review, praising the acting of Bebe Daniels, while not being as kind to Ben Lyon. Overall, he said the film, "... has not been handled with the subtlety and smoothness it deserves. Nevertheless, up to a certain point, it is a production that holds the interest, but what should have been the main idea is sacrificed for a more obvious turn of events."[5]

Notes

This is the first film in which Bebe Daniels and Ben Lyon co-starred. They were married a short time afterwards, in June 1930, and the two remained married until her death in 1971.[3][6] The play from which this screenplay was adapted, The Chatterbox, does not appear to have ever been produced.[2]

The film was a remake of the 1925 FBO silent film, Smooth as Satin, starring Evelyn Brent and Bruce Gordon, and directed by Ralph Ince....."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_French_Gertie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thursday, May 2

Mrs.-Miniver-1942-644x356.jpg

11 p.m.  Mrs. Miniver (1942).  Good William Wyler picture with Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon.

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, May 2

Mrs.-Miniver-1942-644x356.jpg

11 p.m.  Mrs. Miniver (1942).  Good William Wyler picture with Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon.

I always recall an interview with Elwy Yost (Ontario movie buffs will recall this name) when he interviewed Ms Garson on her New Mexico ranch in 1985. Garson was a marvel, everything you'd hope she would be, gracious, amusing, down to earth, completely unpretentious, as she and Elwy, I thought, had a very nice chemistry, which helped the interview go so smoothly. And Garson in her '80s looked fantastic! I've never really been a particularly big fan of this actress but my estimation of her as a person zoomed miles high after seeing this charming interview. She was a class act.

Here is a link to part 1 of the interview. Try to resist the lady's charm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AMSf9LTldw

• Thanks 1

Guilty pleasure for tonight: The Silver Chalice. Paul Newman wanted to buy up all the copies of this movie and destroy it because of his performance, which is indeed not very good. Jack Palance as Simon Magus and Virginia Mayo as his sexy assistant are thoroughly entertaining, both better than usual, and the set design and art direction are outstanding. I'd rather watch this than any number of official classics.

• Thanks 1

Or as I used to call it, THE SILVER PHALL-S. At least it's on at 4AM. It's not really as bad as Paul makes it out to be. Just your typical backlot Biblical opus. I remember Paul took an ad out in the LA Times once apologizing for the film being run on a local station, but it backfired because many people tuned in and it was a ratings winner! LOL.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomJH said:

I always recall an interview with Elwy Yost (Ontario movie buffs will recall this name) when he interviewed Ms Garson on her New Mexico ranch in 1985.

Thanks for that Tom.  Boy were we lucky to be brought up on Elwy Yost!  Interviews just like this one and with many many Hollywood greats and screenwriters, cinematographers, you name it - each and every week!

I heard Elwy's archive of interviews was donated to the American Academy.  Lord knows if they will ever do anything with it.  But typical of Canadians to not have the money or desire to archive something as valuable as this and it falls to the Americans to help out.

• Thanks 1

Elwy's interviews were a treasure trove for film buffs. I didn't know they had been donated to the American Academy by TVO. Depressing to think there is a possibility they could vanish there.

Yeh, we were very lucky, indeed, to have Elwy Yost introduce us to so many film classics when we were kids.

Friday, May 3

the-garbage-pail-kids-movie-10.jpg

4 a.m.  The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (1987).  Wow - a 2.7 imdb rating!

• Haha 2

Saturday, May 4

51c08M6Oz8L.jpg

9:30 a.m. Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe: Stark Treachery (1940).

11.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Lost and Foundry (1933).

El-tren-The-train-1964-John-Frankenheime

5:30  p.m.  The Train (1964).  Terrific John Frankenheimer film with Burt Lancaster and Paul Scofield.

• Like 3

On 5/2/2019 at 4:03 AM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 3

I seriously can't believe this is getting an encore.

There are so many better bad movies out there from which to choose.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I seriously can't believe this is getting an encore.

There are so many better bad movies out there from which to choose.

Maybe this is the price TCM had to pay to procure the rights to Star Wars. 

• Haha 4

On 5/2/2019 at 4:03 AM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 3

the-garbage-pail-kids-movie-10.jpg

It's as underground as the movies last week, specifically Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore and I Was a Teenage Serial Killer. Those were so indie that it's amazing TCM would play them and so incredibly unknown. The Garbage Pail Kids Movie needs to buried even deeper underground, so deep that not even archaeologists could find it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

It's as underground as the movies last week, specifically Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore and I Was a Teenage Serial Killer. Those were so indie that it's amazing TCM would play them and so incredibly unknown. The Garbage Pail Kids Movie needs to buried even deeper underground, so deep that not even archaeologists could find it.

But the tagline says "out of the garbage pail and into your heart". Won't you just let them into your heart? 

WavyElegantDartfrog-small.gif

• Haha 2

Sunday, May 5

princess4.jpg

2 a.m.  Princess From the Moon (1987).  Interesting fairy tale from Kon Ichikawa.  Ayako Wakao is quite good.  Toshiro Mifune stars.  This might be a premiere?

tumblr_p8iyqpprKp1s39hlao8_500.png

4:15 a.m.  Her Brother (1960).  Kon Ichikawa family drama.  Its star Keiko Kishi won many acting awards in Japan for this.  Kinuyu Tanaka as the mother is a standout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been wanting to see more Ichikawa films.