Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,895 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Interesting. I created a thread about this topic a few years ago because, at the film's end, I also felt sorry for Cody (at least, to a degree). A lot of posters disagreed, of course, saying good riddance.

I'll tell you one thing, Edmond O'Brien's annoyed "What's holding him up" comment when he's shooting Cody always irked me as to the fact that this FBI guy. be-friended by the psycho gangster as a Ma substitute, was every bit as cold blooded in that moment as anything done in the film by Jarrett (even if O'Brien is a "good guy").

I felt sorry for Cody throughout the film. He obviously loved his Mom, his wife was a ****, he befriends Fallon who is really out to get him. I wonder if Cody was supposed to have a brain tumor, or something similar, which caused his pain (but not necessarily warped his mind). As for "what's holding him up," you have an interesting take. I never saw it that way. I felt Fallon was just really desperate to waste Cody before any damage was done, and he was astounded that Cody refused to drop. Hey, this is what makes for great movies. We can still debate this stuff 70 years after the fact.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I felt sorry for Cody throughout the film. He obviously loved his Mom, his wife was a ****, he befriends Fallon who is really out to get him. I wonder if Cody was supposed to have a brain tumor, or something similar, which caused his pain (but not necessarily warped his mind). As for "what's holding him up," you have an interesting take. I never saw it that way. I felt Fallon was just really desperate to waste Cody before any damage was done, and he was astounded that Cody refused to drop. Hey, this is what makes for great movies. We can still debate this stuff 70 years after the fact.

Not only that, but people overlook Cody's acts of consideration in the film. Here is a prime example, Jarrett supplying some air holes in a car trunk for a guy stuck inside.

White-Heat-Cody-shooting-trunk.jpg

18775-21189.jpg

"That's my Cody. Always thinking about others."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Not only that, but people overlook Cody's acts of consideration in the film. Here is a prime example, Jarrett supplying some air holes in a car trunk for a guy stuck inside.

White-Heat-Cody-shooting-trunk.jpg

18775-21189.jpg

"That's my Cody. Always thinking about others."

Yeah, so kind. LOL!

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, so kind. LOL!

I'm glad you see Cody's sensitive side, too, Hibi.

• Haha 1

Sunday, May 12

4710084593_47bb232728_b.jpg

8:15 a.m.  Nancy Goes to Rio (1950).  With Ann Sothern.  Sounds a bit silly but has a fun supporting cast in Fortunio Bonanova, Louis Calhern, Hans Conried and Carmen Miranda.

• Like 1

Monday, May 13

shirley-knight-05.jpg

11:15 a.m.  The Couch (1962).  Serial killer film with Shirley Knight.

9a6e4d2b5eb2d00719f654dcdfee9b04.jpg

12:15 a.m.  The Happy Road (1956).  Actor/director, Gene Kelly returns to France.  This film won a few "International Understanding" awards.  Michael Redgrave co-stars. Brigitte Fossey is one of the kids.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, May 13

shirley-knight-05.jpg

9a6e4d2b5eb2d00719f654dcdfee9b04.jpg

12:15 a.m.  The Happy Road (1956).  Actor/director, Gene Kelly returns to France.  This film won a few "International Understanding" awards.  Michael Redgrave co-stars. Brigitte Fossey is one of the kids.

Supposedly this is Shirley Knight's first acting role.  She plays the date.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, May 13

shirley-knight-05.jpg

This one sounds interesting and looks like a premiere. From what I've been able to find so far, apparently Grant Williams' weapon of choice is an icepick. He commits one murder in the LA Coliseum during a Rams football game. He also likes to phone the cops before he offs his victims. Certainly this is an unusual role for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2019 at 11:48 AM, TomJH said:

Interesting. I created a thread about this topic a few years ago because, at the film's end, I also felt sorry for Cody (at least, to a degree). A lot of posters disagreed, of course, saying good riddance.

I'll tell you one thing, Edmond O'Brien's annoyed "What's holding him up" comment when he's shooting Cody always irked me as to the fact that this undercover FBI agent, be-friended by the psycho gangster as a Ma substitute, was every bit as cold blooded in that moment as anything done in the film by Jarrett (even if O'Brien is a "good guy").

I agree Tom, I've always thought O'Brien saying "what's holding him up" was cold blooded.

I agree Rich, I've always felt this was his best role and my favorite. Cagney truly was one of the greatest actors on the screen. I also have to agree that Cody had a brain tumor or something physically similar to a tumor, that's what I've always felt, it wasn't just a way to get Ma's attention when he was a kid, although that's what the FBI agent tells O'Brien. I think the headaches were real caused by something physical.

White Heat, one of the greatest films made that you never get tired of seeing. The Academy really screwed up with this one, it only received one nomination for the original source writing, Cagney wasn't even nominated. imo, Cagney deserved an Oscar for this one.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

White Heat, one of the greatest films made that you never get tired of seeing. The Academy really screwed up with this one, it only received one nomination for the original source writing, Cagney wasn't even nominated. imo, Cagney deserved an Oscar for this one.

In retrospect Cagney didn't have a chance at any Oscar for White Heat because the film was initially greeted with such a hostile reaction from morality groups, bemoaning the film's excessive violence and nastiness. Warners wouldn't have dared campaign for the film with the Motion Picture Academy.

Well the film is violent and nasty but it is celebrated today because of the superb performances of the entire cast (even if Cagney does overshadow it) and the hard story telling style and kinetic energy brought to the film by master action director Raoul Walsh. The film's ending, with its atomic imagery amidst a burning inferno, continues to amaze me and even give me a rush, even after countless viewings.

Cagney had many highlight moments in his storied career but, for my money, none of them top his finale in this film. The image of a defiant Cagney, manically laughing in the face of his enemies swarming below, standing legs apart, turning his gaze skyward as he cries out to the heavens, "Made it Ma. Top of the world!" Cody Jarrett is going out his way, the world watching, spitting in the eye of his enemies, as he tries to take as many with him as possible. He treats his death as though it was a moment of triumph.

source.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Monday, May 13 continued

The-Eyes-of-Orson-Welles_Quad_Web_800x.p

8 p.m.  The Eyes of Orson Welles (2018).  New documentary.

a71d1f777c676d7abf8924bf76c0c916.jpeg

12:15 a.m.  Confidential Report (1955).  This was once listed as Mr. Arkadin (Corinth Version) (1955) so I am not sure which version is being broadcast.  In any event it is only in the U.S.  Gene Kelly’s The Happy Road (1956) is substituted in Canada.

• Thanks 1

Tuesday, May 14

chimes-at-midnight-1200-1200-675-675-cro

6 a.m.  Chimes at Midnight (1965).  One of the best Shakespeare adaptations IMO. Welles depiction of the Battle of Shrewsbury on a tight budget is pure genius.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, May 15

gaslight_3-copy.jpg

1:30  Gaslight (1944).  It’s amazing that the title of this 75 year-old film has become a relevant term in today’s political environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, May 15

1:30  Gaslight (1944).  It’s amazing that the title of this 75 year-old film has become a relevant term in today’s political environment.

Did the term "gaslight" exist prior to the play/film?

18 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Did the term "gaslight" exist prior to the play/film?

No. It comes from the film. Of course the term isn't used in the film, either.

• Like 1

Thursday, May 16

torin-thatcher.jpg?w=683

9 a.m.  The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958).  A Ray Harryhausen tour de force and Torin Thatcher plays the quintessential evil wizard.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, May 15

gaslight_3-copy.jpg

I think you’re just imagining it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was on another forum (not movie related), and when the film Gaslight was mentioned by a poster as being a favorite, a number of other posters insisted that the title of the film must be changed, as seeing the title may cause negative responses in victims of domestic abuse/violence.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

I was on another forum (not movie related), and when the film Gaslight was mentioned by a poster as being a favorite, a number of other posters insisted that the title of the film must be changed, as seeing the title may cause negative responses in victims of domestic abuse/violence.

Too much.  Why would an unstable victim of domestic abuse/violence want to watch Gaslight in the first place?  They like to be reminded of the horror but the film's title is a step too far?

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I thought that the demand was pretty bizarre too and said so.  Change the title but keep the content?

34 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

Yeah, I thought that the demand was pretty bizarre too and said so.  Change the title but keep the content?

from a personal standpoint, I have always preferred the film's British title THE MURDER IN THORNTON SQUARE...But yeah, anyone "triggered" by the title of a movie from 1944 might wanna think about switching out their meds or something.

2 hours ago, RoyCronin said:

Good Grief.  

Friday, May 17

A-Blueprint-for-Murder-1953-Joseph-Cotte

8 p.m.  A Blueprint For Murder (1953).  With Joseph Cotten, Jean Peters and Gary Merrill.

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 17

A-Blueprint-for-Murder-1953-Joseph-Cotte

8 p.m.  A Blueprint For Murder (1953).  With Joseph Cotten, Jean Peters and Gary Merrill.

I have, for the past two weeks, been on a HARDCORE MURDER SHE WROTE BINGE- it is all I have watched.

I have never given a second thought to JEAN PETERS as an actress, until I watched the episode she appeared on where she plays a reclusive Irish Actress (season 5, I think- called THE  WEARING OF THE GREEN)

It is not a good episode, very poorly written and it takes some odd, tacky jabbs at CAGNEY AND LACEY, which seem extremely petty now...Lucy Arnaz plays one of the female detectives and it is (easily) ONE OF THE WORST PERFORMANCES IN THE HISTORY OF THE SHOW.

Interestingly enough though, in her 10 minutes or so worth of scenes, Jean Peters- as a reclusive, agoraphobic stage actress with delusions- gives ONE OF THE BEST PERFORMANCES OF THE WHOLE SERIES, she is 100% coming from a real place and eschews any vanity in the part- and in the process she gives a really effective performance and what is otherwise a pretty subpar episode for the early series.

1988-press-photo-actress-angela-lansbury

I think it was her final appearance, but I will definitely look at her differently as a result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have, for the past two weeks, been on a HARDCORE MURDER SHE WROTE BINGE- it is all I have watched.

I have never given a second thought to JEAN PETERS as an actress, until I watched the episode she appeared on where she plays a reclusive Irish Actress (season 5, I think- called THE  WEARING OF THE GREEN)

It is not a good episode, very poorly written and it takes some odd, tacky jabbs at CAGNEY AND LACEY, which seem extremely petty now...Lucy Arnaz plays one of the female detectives and it is (easily) ONE OF THE WORST PERFORMANCES IN THE HISTORY OF THE SHOW.

Interestingly enough though, in her 10 minutes or so worth of scenes, Jean Peters- as a reclusive, agoraphobic stage actress with delusions- gives ONE OF THE BEST PERFORMANCES OF THE WHOLE SERIES, she is 100% coming from a real place and eschews any vanity in the part- and in the process she gives a really effective performance and what is otherwise a pretty subpar episode for the early series.

1988-press-photo-actress-angela-lansbury

I think it was her final appearance, but I will definitely look at her differently as a result.

Yes, I think it was or her penultimate. I agree, the episode wasnt that great, but she was very good.