Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,897 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, May 17

A-Blueprint-for-Murder-1953-Joseph-Cotte

8 p.m.  A Blueprint For Murder (1953).  With Joseph Cotten, Jean Peters and Gary Merrill.

I saw this film about a year ago, and it was surprisingly good! Hadn't heard about it before, so glad I recorded it. I may watch it again.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I think it was or her penultimate. I agree, the episode wasnt that great, but she was very good.

And again, it really cannot be overstated just how very bad Lucy Arnaz is in it.

In a way, that episode encapsulates everything I love about “murder she wrote”, even for all it’s failings...

They always seemed to make the female detectives on the case very annoying in that show.

Jessica Pickens (JP) @HollywoodComet 4h4 hours ago

THE WAR AGAINST MRS. HADLEY (1942) airs on @tcm at 3:45 a.m. ET as part of the homefront series.

It isn't on DVD and doesn't air often so set your DVRs! #TCMParty #LetsMovie

----------------------------------------------------------------

" Hollywood films during World War II generally featured patriotic characters who took pride in their country. Most characters were either fighting in the war or doing their part back home to help those overseas. But in real life, not everyone wanted the United States to be involved in the war, especially in the early days of World War II. Others felt they were above to having to ration and make daily life sacrifices.

One movie that shows an honest depiction of these feelings is the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film, THE WAR AGAINST MRS. HADLEY (’42), released in September 1942, less than a year after the United States entered World War II. .......

https://tcm.tumblr.com/post/184879100524/the-war-against-mrs-hadley-by-jessica-pickens

• Thanks 1

Tomorrow, May 17, has a hip-hop double feature on TCM Underground.

RAPPIN_ee_3_756_426_81_s.jpg

Rappin' (1985, 2:00AM ET) is actually Breakin' part 3. Mario Van Peebles is the star, and it has an old-fashioned storyline about putting on a show to stop evil land developers. There aren't a lot of notable actual music stars on display, but Kadeem Hardison (later of A Different World fame) and Eriq LaSalle (later of ER fame) show up. A young Ice-T appears briefly, much to his later embarrassment.

hqdefault.jpg

Beat Street (1984, 4:00AM ET) is the better movie, and it's a good time-capsule example of early hip-hop culture, with the attendant music, fashions, dances and club scene. Rae Dawn Chong is the star, while the music notables include Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force, Doug E. Fresh, and Melle Mel & the Furious Five, the last of which were later inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It's also nice to see Duane Jones, star of the original Night of the Living Dead, making an appearance.

It's a shame they couldn't have shown Krush Groove (1985) and made it a 3-film old-school rap marathon that very few TCM viewers would watch, and which would most likely actually tick some off. :) 

DefenselessHoarseGrebe-size_restricted.g

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Saturday, May 18

5.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: I Like Babies and Infinks (1937).

MV5BODI3ZWJkNDQtNmE5NS00YThhLWIxMTctZmRl

11:30.  Beers and Pretzels (1933).  Ted Healy and the Stooges.

Sunday, May 19

MV5BMWFmZDhhYTktNGI4YS00MDVhLTk5NDUtMzU2

12:30 until 2 a.m.  Bobby Bumps films (1916-1921).  Who the heck is Bobby Bumps?

watership-down-1978-005-rabbit-behind-wi

2 a.m.  Watership Down (1978).  The vocal talents of both John Hurt and Richard Briers are on display in this good animated film.

• Thanks 2

Monday, May 20

p12205_i_h12_aa.jpg?d=270x360&q=50

11 p.m.  The Fugitive (1947).  Mexico has been producing great cinematographers for some time.  This one is by Gabriel Figueroa.

• Like 2

It's too bad the plot is nothing to write home about.

Could someone tell me whether Turner Classic Movies had a certain animated movie named "Twice Upon a Time" in their programming this Sunday or not (if so, I would also like to know how it appeared in their programming)?

4 hours ago, Mario500 said:

Could someone tell me whether Turner Classic Movies had a certain animated movie named "Twice Upon a Time" in their programming this Sunday or not (if so, I would also like to know how it appeared in their programming)?

The schedule shows that Twice Upon a Time is set to air at 3:45AM ET tonight/tomorrow morning.

As to "how it appeared in their programming", I'm not sure what you mean or how to answer that.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

The schedule shows that Twice Upon a Time is set to air at 3:45AM ET tonight/tomorrow morning.

As to "how it appeared in their programming", I'm not sure what you mean or how to answer that.

A certain part of this site appeared to have had the movie listed for this Sunday (very misleading).

That could be answered only if it were to be part of their programming by the time you had mentioned.

5 minutes ago, Mario500 said:

A certain part of this site appeared to have had the movie listed for this Sunday (very misleading).

That could be answered only if it were to be part of their programming by the time you had mentioned.

I think I see the issue here. The TCM schedule and other parts of the TCM site do not follow the official calendar day. If you look at their daily schedules:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/?ecid=mainnav2schedule

you'll see that the days begin at 6:00AM ET and end at that time the following day. So anything airing from 6:00AM ET (today is was Roberta) until the last scheduled show (today it is MGM Parade Show #22 at 5:15AM ET) is considered part of the Sunday, May 19th schedule, even if everything showing from Bobby Bumps Caught in the Jamb at 12:15AM ET to the aforementioned MGM short is technically on early morning May 20th. That's the way the scheduling has always worked on this channel, as well as most TV guides for the past 50+ years. It's laid out from roughly one sunrise to the next sunrise. The same reason why shows on TV from 12:00 AM to 4:00 AM are frequently called "Late Night" rather than "Early Morning".

6 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

late Sun., 5-19                         'Bobby Bumps' silent shorts....

12:30 AM (ET)

" Said to be based on the popular early 20th century comic strip (and later shoe company mascot) Buster Brown, Bobby Bumps was the lead character in a series of animated shorts created by Earl Hurd for the Bray Studios, a print comics company that moved into cinema early on with great success.

Bobby Bumps was a little boy who, along with his dog Fido, managed to get himself into mischief over and over....

The most significant fact about the Bobby Bumps series was that these cartoons were the first to be produced using the cel animation process developed by Hurd and patented by him and Bray. ....

The shorts have to be viewed with an understanding of a far different and less enlightened time, considering two rather offensive characters often seen in the films, Bobby's black friend Choc'late and the stereotypical Bumps family maid Goldie."

The shorts in the series to be screened by TCM include:
Bobby Bumps and His Pointer Pup (1916)
Bobby Bumps Helps a Book Agent (1916)
Bobby Bumps' Fly Swatter (1916)
Bobby Bumps Gets a Substitute (1916)
Bobby Bumps Adopts a Turtle (1917)
Bobby Bumps at Fido's Birthday Party (1917)
Bobby Bumps, Chef (1917)
Bobby Bumps, Surf Rider (1917)
Bobby Bumps at the Dentist (1918)
Bobby Bumps Caught in the Jamb (1918)
Bobby Bumps' Last Smoke (1919)
Bobby Bumps in Hunting and Fishing (1921)
Bobby Bumps in Their Master's Voice (1921)

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2165010/Bobby-Bumps-Caught-in-the-Jamb/articles.html

Mr. 6666, or anyone else who might help, do you know how tonight's showings of Watership Down and Twice Upon a Time are being presented? They are on during the traditional TCM Imports timeslots, and while Watership Down is British and could technically be called an Import, Twice Upon a Time is American. Are they foregoing TCM Imports for the night in order to make it all-animation following the Bobby Bumps 'toons, presumably being shown as part of Silent Sundays?

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Mr. 6666, or anyone else who might help, do you know how tonight's showings of Watership Down and Twice Upon a Time are being presented? They are on during the traditional TCM Imports timeslots, and while Watership Down is British and could technically be called an Import, Twice Upon a Time is American. Are they foregoing TCM Imports for the night in order to make it all-animation following the Bobby Bumps 'toons, presumably being shown as part of Silent Sundays?

Watership Down is listed as a TCM Import.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article.html?isPreview=&id=1484401|1484406&name=Watership-Down

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

good question....though they have "Watership.." listed in their 'imports' list....

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1484401|0/TCM-Imports-in-May.html

:unsure:

• Thanks 1

Tuesday, May 21

image-w1280.jpg?1445885924

2:15 p.m.  Le Coup du Berger (1956).  Jacques Rivette short film which may be a premiere?  Its cast includes Claude Chabrol, Jean-Luc Goddard and Francois Truffaut.

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, May 21

image-w1280.jpg?1445885924

2:15 p.m.  Le Coup du Berger (1956).  Jacques Rivette film which may be a premiere?

I'm intrigued by the double bill that occurs around this short- starting around noon thirty with:

12:30 PM
La Chienne (1931)

Synopsis: A streetwalker leads a married man along to make money for her pimp.
DirJean Renoir CastMichel Simon , Janie Mareze , Georges Flamant .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Jean Renoir. Michel Simon, Janie Mareze, Georges Flamant, Madeleine Berubet. Renoir's first sound film, and first sound-film masterpiece: a terse, somber drama of mild- mannered bank cashier Simon, with an overbearing wife, who plays into the hands of prostitute Mareze and her scheming pimp. Renoir coscripted; Mareze died in a car accident a couple of weeks after filming was completed. Fritz Lang redid this as SCARLET STREET; what a video double bill they would make!

...and is bookended with the superb 1945 SCARLET STREET.

(hope TCM shows good prints of both...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

By the way, LA CHIENNE is on the short list of titles for my AUTOBIOGRAPHY should I ever some day come to write it.

• Like 1

Could someone tell me whether Turner Classic Movies had a certain animated movie named "Twice Upon a Time" in their programming this Monday or not (if so, I would also like to know how it appeared in their programming)?

58 minutes ago, Mario500 said:

Could someone tell me whether Turner Classic Movies had a certain animated movie named "Twice Upon a Time" in their programming this Monday or not (if so, I would also like to know how it appeared in their programming)?

I answered you yesterday.

It was on late last night/ very early this morning at 3:45 AM ET, just like the TCM schedule said that it would be.

How it appeared in their programming? I would guess the same way everything else does. They paid a licensing fee.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

By the way, LA CHIENNE is on the short list of titles for my AUTOBIOGRAPHY should I ever some day come to write it.

LOL.  Looking forward to seeing the original Scarlet Street!

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL.  Looking forward to seeing the original Scarlet Street!

seems like this one maybe missing the murder element tho...?

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm intrigued by the double bill that occurs around this short- starting around noon thirty with:

12:30 PM
La Chienne (1931)

Synopsis: A streetwalker leads a married man along to make money for her pimp.
DirJean Renoir CastMichel Simon , Janie Mareze , Georges Flamant .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Jean Renoir. Michel Simon, Janie Mareze, Georges Flamant, Madeleine Berubet. Renoir's first sound film, and first sound-film masterpiece: a terse, somber drama of mild- mannered bank cashier Simon, with an overbearing wife, who plays into the hands of prostitute Mareze and her scheming pimp. Renoir coscripted; Mareze died in a car accident a couple of weeks after filming was completed. Fritz Lang redid this as SCARLET STREET; what a video double bill they would make!

...and is bookended with the superb 1945 SCARLET STREET.

(hope TCM shows good prints of both...)

Lorna,  TCM often uses Criterion as a source for their international films, and Criterion has both La chienne (1931) and Le coup du berger (1956) out on Blu-Ray, so I would expect the quality of the TCM showings should be good.  (The Le coup du berger short is an extra on the Criterion disc for the Jacques Rivette film Paris Belongs to Us (1961).)

• Thanks 1