Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,867 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I answered you yesterday.

It was on late last night/ very early this morning at 3:45 AM ET, just like the TCM schedule said that it would be.

The question I had posted differed from the one I had posted yesterday.

How it appeared in their programming? I would guess the same way everything else does. They paid a licensing fee. 

I had believed you had misunderstood that part of the messages (I was wondering how its scenes would be displayed if it were to be part of the programming of Turner Classic Movies this Monday).

3 minutes ago, Mario500 said:

The question I had posted differed from the one I had posted yesterday.

I had believed you had misunderstood that part of the messages (I was wondering how its scenes would be displayed if it were to be part of the programming of Turner Classic Movies this Monday).

Okay then, I'll leave you to your confusion.

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Okay then, I'll leave you to your confusion.

I did not like that response.

4 minutes ago, Mario500 said:

I did not like that response.

Now you know how I feel.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Now you know how I feel.

I don't think his first language is English. His question is about the ratio/ formatting, I think. 

1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

I don't think his first language is English. His question is about the ratio/ formatting, I think. 

Please feel free to answer him, then. 

Every time I say I'm done trying to help people because it never turns out well I end up doing it again you know what they say about trying the same thing over and over again with the same outcome well I guess I never...

tenor.gif

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

His question is about the ratio/ formatting, I think. 

Yes.

I don't think his first language is English.

I had felt insulted upon seeing this sentence.

2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Lorna,  TCM often uses Criterion as a source for their international films, and Criterion has both La chienne (1931) and Le coup du berger (1956) out on Blu-Ray, so I would expect the quality of the TCM showings should be good.  (The Le coup du berger short is an extra on the Criterion disc for the Jacques Rivette film Paris Belongs to Us (1961).)

And yet, SO MANY French films of the thirties and forties are in baaaaaad condition as shown on TCM... (GIGI and THE WALLS OF MALAPAGA come to mind) ALSO Often times black-and-white films of the era have subtitles in white print and it’s a real challenge to read. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

And yet, SO MANY French films of the thirties and forties are in baaaaaad condition as shown on TCM... (GIGI and THE WALLS OF MALAPAGA come to mind) ALSO Often times black-and-white films of the era have subtitles in white print and it’s a real challenge to read. 

Criterion always do their own subtitles. 

I watched the Criterion copy of La Chienne last year, and it was crystal clear. That is most likely what will be shown.

La-Chienne-splash.jpg

10HOBERMAN-1-articleLarge-v2.jpg?quality

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

That's true, Lorna.  There have been some disappointments in the past with plain white subtitles on top of a whited-out background where it can be almost impossible to read the dialogue at times.  Hopefully with these new presentations the appearance will be good.  I guess that's one advantage of streaming / dvds / blu-ray where the subtitles are applied separately and players can give you the ability to change the color / add shading to the subtitles.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, May 22

CardGam.jpg

8 p.m.  Cool Hand Luke (1967).  Newman’s own with a terrific cast of character actors.

18 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

His question is about the ratio/ formatting, I think. 

I would still like to have an answer regarding such formatting if the movie I had mentioned on the previous page was really part of the programming of Turner Classic Movies this past Monday.

1 hour ago, Mario500 said:

I would still like to have an answer regarding such formatting if the movie I had mentioned on the previous page was really part of the programming of Turner Classic Movies this past Monday.

You might have better luck if you started your own thread about just that movie in general discussions and ask your question - it might attract more people who are familiar with the film.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mario500 said:

Mario500,

Sorry I'm not quite sure what you were wondering about the movie Twice Upon A Time (1983) that was shown earlier this week.  I did not watch the film at that time, but TCM has currently made it available on the WatchTCM service.  The quality of the movie there is very good, and appears to be in standard widescreen format for an HDTV (roughly 16x9 aspect ratio).  Here are some samples:

jzaMxqn.jpg

NxfrZWL.jpg

Not sure if this addresses your question but perhaps this will help.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Criterion always do their own subtitles. 

I watched the Criterion copy of La Chienne last year, and it was crystal clear. That is most likely what will be shown.

La-Chienne-splash.jpg

10HOBERMAN-1-articleLarge-v2.jpg?quality

Yeah, they used the 2014 restoration. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Mario500,

Sorry I'm not quite sure what you were wondering about the movie Twice Upon A Time (1983) that was shown earlier this week.  I did not watch the film at that time, but TCM has currently made it available on the WatchTCM service.  The quality of the movie there is very good, and appears to be in standard widescreen format for an HDTV (roughly 16x9 aspect ratio).  Here are some samples:

jzaMxqn.jpg

NxfrZWL.jpg

Not sure if this addresses your question but perhaps this will help.

This is close to what I was wondering about, except it was it was related to programming (if it were really broadcast through Turner Classic Movies this way this past Monday, I would had considered it to had been cropped).

Thursday, May 23

Only in the U.S. ….

7da7674aa3ffa65c246ba45d85e3ac12.jpg

7:15 p.m.  Screen Directors Playhouse: Lincoln’s Doctor’s Dog (1955).  With Robert Ryan as Lincoln.  I guess they won’t be remaking this about Donald Trump.

The above is replaced in Canada with two short films.  The second starting at 7:40 is a good trivia question.  Name the film co-starring Jay Silverheels and Humphrey Bogart …

bogart-classic-i-am-an-american.png

7:40 p.m.  I Am an American (1944).

Rita+Hayworth.jpg

1:45 a.m.  Tonight and Every Night (1945).  With Rita Hayworth.

Friday, May 24

SANTA-CLAUS-MEXICO-FEATURED.jpg

2 a.m.  Santa Claus (1959).  Don't Bogart that joint.  This Mexican film looks insane.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Saturday, May 25

image-w856.jpg?1445912437

6 a.m.  Desperate Journey (1942).  I still haven’t seen this Errol Flynn flick.

hqdefault.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Football Toucher Downer (1940).

aaawatch2.jpg

11:30 a.m.  The Rounder (1930).  Jack Benny short subject.

1adevi.jpg

10:15 p.m.  Devi (1960).  by Satyajit Ray.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 25

image-w856.jpg?1445912437

6 a.m.  Desperate Journey (1942).  I still haven’t seen this Errol Flynn flick.

It's a lot of fun. One of my favorite scenes has Reagan using doubletalk on Nazi Raymond Massey.

• Like 1

VERY DISAPPOINTED in the UNDERGROUND DOUBLE FEATURE TONIGHT, SANTA CLAUS (the Mexican one with the Devil) and SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS- not even a viable "CHRISTMAS IN JULY" sort of reason for it either.

ps- ABSOLUTELY NOTHING against PIA ZADORA, mind you!

• Like 1

Sunday, May 26

horsesmouth4.jpg

2:15 p.m.  The Horse’s Mouth (1958).  Alec Guinness as my favourite painter, Gulley Jimson.  And quite possibly Michael Gough’s finest screen role as Abel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2019 at 9:22 PM, Bogie56 said:

Santa Claus (1959).  Don't Bogart that joint.  This Mexican film looks insane.  

I found it bland.  It's a shame, because I liked the premise of Satan v. Santa (which is apparently based on a Mexican tradition of everyman plays about Satan trying to waylay pilgrimages to see the baby Jesus).

1 minute ago, Fedya said:

I found it bland.  It's a shame, because I liked the premise of Satan v. Santa (which is apparently based on a Mexican tradition of everyman plays about Satan trying to waylay pilgrimages to see the baby Jesus).

I saw the first few minutes a while back with the kids from around the world singing and thought it would be good to see this film high.  But now that pot is finally legal where I am I don't smoke it any longer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

I actually enjoyed it. It wasn't great, but interesting.

• Thanks 1