Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,896 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2019 at 7:04 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, May 25

hqdefault.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Football Toucher Downer (1940).

I'm watching it and while I appreciate the ingenious tactics of Bluto and Popeye's ability to carry his useless team, isn't taking the football before the other team can hike, passing it to yourself and scoring a touchdown blatantly cheating?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

I'm watching it and while I appreciate the ingenious tactics of Bluto and Popeye's ability to carry his useless team, isn't taking the football before the other team can hike, passing it to yourself and scoring a touchdown blatantly cheating?

Yeah and making a literal bulldozer out of players is also cheating. You have to have a suspension of disbelief. :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ampersand said:

5-1 ODDS The Patriots will try this in the next 4-5 years AND GET AWAY WITH IT TOO.

I can just hear Bellichek at the press conference now, "I was unfamiliar with the rules in the NFL Handbook that stated that this was not allowed, I am sorry and will try to do better in the future..."

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, May 26

horsesmouth4.jpg

2:15 p.m.  The Horse’s Mouth (1958).  Alec Guinness as my favourite painter, Gulley Jimson.  And quite possibly Michael Gough’s finest screen role as Abel.

Guiness should have won the BEST ACTOR OSCAR IN 1958 for this (he wasn't even nominated and the field that year was very weak), I think if he hadn't "snuck in" with a supporting role and won as lead for RIVER KWAI the year before, he MIGHT VERY WELL have. 

My issue with the UNDERGROUND DOUBLE FEATURE last night wasn't with the film SANTA CLAUS- which is a memorable film no doubt- but with the fact that it was an encore (I KNOW it's played recently) and, once again, they went to the PUBLIC DOMAIN WELL from which to draw this week's sustenance.

seems like they're not putting much thought into the selection process.

A friend who's an ardent fan of noir had this to say about Pale Flower, to be shown Sunday night:

Pale Flower(Masahiro Shinoda 1964) –The greatest Japanese film noir? It is certainly my favorite, and among my five favorites regardless of national origin. Perhaps the rarest of the rare is an art-house film noir. This is that. Everything is in place, from the voice-over narration to open and close the film, compositions that make me want to stop the movie every other frame, the Yakuza hit man fresh from three years in prison, and the mysterious woman-child who seemingly adds a new dimension to the hit man’s existence. Plus a phenomenal score by Toru Takemitsu interspersed with popular songs, one of which, “O Sole Mio,” sums up the film. The hit man’s initial narration informs us that nothing has changed during his three years in prison. The film soon tells us that, although there is a new truce between two of the gangs, he is correct – if anything has changed, it is tangential to his life, a life of alienation and perversity. Even the woman’s entrance into his life makes only a temporary change as she willfully participates in his experiences in an attempt to overcome her boredom.  But none of that matters. Nothing matters. Not even her existence.  Ennui noirhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOOr4nuWFqUWith Ryo Ikebe & Mariko Kaga. A must-see. Oh, boy, is it A must-see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Monday, May 27

young-lions-3-678x381.jpg

11 a.m.  The Young Lions (1958).  With Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift, Dean Martin and Maximilian Schell.  I didn’t really like this much when I saw it as a teen but it is pretty well regarded so I should give it another shot.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, May 27

11 a.m.  The Young Lions (1958).  With Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift, Dean Martin and Maximilian Schell.  I didn’t really like this much when I saw it as a teen but it is pretty well regarded so I should give it another shot.

I'm in same situation.  Since I don't remember, I'll give it another shot.

I won't try to influence your re-viewings either way, but Barbara Rush has one of her meatiest roles and is, I think, quite good in The Young Lions.

• Thanks 1

Tuesday, May 28

image-w1280.jpg?1445877675

6 a.m.  Invitation to the Dance (1956).  The film that inspired me to start the “I’d rather stick needles in my eyes than to watch …” thread a few years back.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

6 a.m.  Invitation to the Dance (1956).  The film that inspired me to start the “I’d rather stick needles in my eyes than to watch …” thread a few years back.

I thumbed back through that thread but couldn't find any of your posts that mentioned this film. Could you elaborate?

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I thumbed back through that thread but couldn't find any of your posts that mentioned this film. Could you elaborate?

Sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase.  Invitation to the Dance was not in that thread after all.  It should have been!  I may have written about it in the I Just Watched  thread but it won't be worth searching for.  The long and short is that I found it astoundingly abysmal in every regard.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Wednesday, May 29

1118full-the-verdict-(1982)-screenshot.j

10:15.  The Verdict (1982).  Newman’s finest screen acting IMO.  The short scene where he has a panic attack in the bathroom takes the cake!  And James Mason and Milo O’Shea are great too.

• Like 4

On 5/26/2019 at 3:54 PM, kingrat said:

I won't try to influence your re-viewings either way, but Barbara Rush has one of her meatiest roles and is, I think, quite good in The Young Lions.

By now, the person has given it another try, so ......  thoughts, please?....

And too, I've always liked both the book and the film,  and after many viewings I STILL get tickled seeing PARLEY BAER  in it.  AND playing a basically NICE guy for a change.  ;) 

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

By now, the person has given it another try, so ......  thoughts, please?....

And too, I've always liked both the book and the film,  and after many viewings I STILL get tickled seeing PARLEY BAER  in it.  AND playing a basically NICE guy for a change.  ;) 

Sepiatone

As fate would have it I missed taping it!!

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, May 29

1118full-the-verdict-(1982)-screenshot.j

10:15.  The Verdict (1982).  Newman’s finest screen acting IMO.  The short scene where he has a panic attack in the bathroom takes the cake!  And James Mason and Milo O’Shea are great too.

I agree re: Newman. It seems as he got older, his voice was reduced to almost a whisper onscreen, but here it really works to his advantage. Also, Jack Warden is hilarious when he refers to Mason as the "prince of f****** darkness."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Slap Shot (Thursday 12:00 a.m.)

Crude, disgusting, offensive, vulgar and completely hilarious hockey film (not for all tastes). Perfect timing for Star of the Month and concurrent Stanley Cup Finals. Besides star Newman, Strother Martin is a riot, and Paul Dooley funny as hell in a bit as a broadcaster. Oh, and the "Hanson Brothers" are pretty cool too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thursday, May 30

hail+the+conquering+hero-+bracken+and+de

11 p.m.  Hail the Conquering Hero (1944).  Preston Sturges at his best.

20 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Crude, disgusting, offensive, vulgar and completely hilarious hockey film (not for all tastes). Perfect timing for Star of the Month and concurrent Stanley Cup Finals. Besides star Newman, Strother Martin is a riot, and Paul Dooley funny as hell in a bit as a broadcaster. Oh, and the "Hanson Brothers" are pretty cool too.

And the Hansons don't want to leave anyone out of the fun either.

2ab1e19ffe9e3a90fd97adb373440f8e.gif

• Haha 2

On 5/28/2019 at 2:31 PM, scsu1975 said:

And written by a woman!

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

And written by a woman!

Is anyone else finding that the sort of crass gross out comedy genre pictures that we have seen in the last 15 years or so are more extreme when they are written by women and usually featuring female leads?

3 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Is anyone else finding that the sort of crass gross out comedy genre pictures that we have seen in the last 15 years or so are more extreme when they are written by women and usually featuring female leads?

Are you thinking of the just released Booksmart? I think there's this desire to show that a female writer/director can be just as filthy as any guy. It rarely works out well, in my opinion. It's not exactly my favorite sub-genre, but to me they work better when they feel genuine, inspired and real, and those that are attempting to prove something rarely feel that way. 

• Like 1

Friday, May 31

Francois Truffaut night.

dayfornight4.jpg

12:15 a.m.  Day For Night (1973).  The camera choreography in this film is exquisite.  And it is before steady-cams and radio mics.

• Thanks 1