Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,917 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Are you thinking of the just released Booksmart? I think there's this desire to show that a female writer/director can be just as filthy as any guy. It rarely works out well, in my opinion. It's not exactly my favorite sub-genre, but to me they work better when they feel genuine, inspired and real, and those that are attempting to prove something rarely feel that way. 

I think he may be referring to Melissa McCarthy. That woman has to be the least funny actress around today. Possible Lena Dunham too. She's another one I don't think is very funny.

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

I think he may be referring to Melissa McCarthy. That woman has to be the least funny actress around today. Possible Lena Dunham too. She's another one I don't think is very funny.

I'll have to dig through my diary as the titles were not that memorable.  But it is the material more than the talent. Lawrence hit it on the head when he said that in these films the women seem to be out to out-gross the stupid male films of the same genre.

7 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Add Leslie Jones to that list.

• Like 1

Saturday, June 1

2458fbcb-e1a1-4f30-b20a-f9e6b7dc6015.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Proteck the Weakerist (1937).

MV5BZDFjY2FiMTMtMzBlNC00YzJmLTlhMTYtYzZh

10:45 p.m.  Violent Playground (1958).  Good cast in this Rank film from the UK.  Stanley Baker, Anne Heywood, David McCallum and Peter Cushing.

%C3%82%C2%A9rowland-scherman-1-lg.jpg

4 a.m.  Three (1969).  With Charlotte Rampling!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

part 2 of a Peter Fonda 'Underground' double feature..........

(although handsome, Peter's acting never impressed me, but we get to hear him sing here) :unsure:

==============================

late Fri., 5-31                            Underground........

4:15 AM ( ET)
C - 101 m

drama
Outlaw Blues (1977)

Synopsis: Suspected of murdering the country-western star who stole his song, an ex-convict takes it on the lam.
DirRichard Heffron

CastPeter Fonda, Susan St. James, Jeffrey Friedman , Steve Fromholtz , Michael Lerner .

"....The New York Times called the movie "an amiable, lilting, if lightweight, diversion... Pleasantly palatable if not especially nutritious... To the credit of B. W. L. Norton's script, the film also strongly indicates the vicious competition and sleaziness that could lurk behind the glamorous facades of some of the medium's recording giants."

The cast drew praise, with the Times enjoying Fonda's "gently appealing" performance and "pleasant tenor voice," and Variety applauding Susan Saint James as "a sexy knockout who ought to be on theater screens much more often." .......

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/85996/Outlaw-Blues/articles.html

• Like 3

Sunday, June 2/3

cars-that-ate-paris.jpg?w=616

2 a.m.  The Cars That Ate Paris (1974).  This Peter Weir film from down under sounds pretty funny.

ThePlumber_ProgramKey3.jpg

3:45 a.m.  The Plumber (1979).  Another Peter Weir film.  From the above it looks like he went to the Stooges school of plumbing.

• Like 2

Sunday 10:00am(EDT) - The Asphalt Jungle (1950) 👍👍👍👍

the-asphalt-jungle.jpg

Why does my TV guide give only three stars to this, IMO, the greatest heist film of all time? It certainly deserves a full boat of Four Stars!

Tautly directed by the legendary John Huston; wonderfully filmed in gritty, almost documentary-style realism by Harold Rosson (Oscar-nominated for this, and "The Wizard of Oz" (1939)); a fantastic cast including Sterling Hayden (perfectly cast as a legitimate tough guy), Louis Calhern (IMO, his best performance, but who had been nominated for the Oscar that year for playing Oliver Wendell Holmes in "The Magnificent Yankee"); Sam Jaffe (in his only Oscar nominated performance), and Marilyn Monroe (in the film that got her first notice); and a fitting score by Miklos Rosza.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mr6666 said:

part 2 of a Peter Fonda 'Underground' double feature..........

(although handsome, Peter's acting never impressed me, but we get to hear him sing here) :unsure:

I'll go one step further than you - I can't stand Peter Fonda's acting. 👎

I only tolerate him in "Easy Rider" (1969).

On 5/31/2019 at 5:47 AM, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, June 1

2458fbcb-e1a1-4f30-b20a-f9e6b7dc6015.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Proteck the Weakerist (1937).

MV5BZDFjY2FiMTMtMzBlNC00YzJmLTlhMTYtYzZh

10:45 p.m.  Violent Playground (1958).  Good cast in this Rank film from the UK.  Stanley Baker, Anne Heywood, David McCallum and Peter Cushing.

%C3%82%C2%A9rowland-scherman-1-lg.jpg

4 a.m.  Three (1969).  With Charlotte Rampling!

And Sam Waterston, later Deputy DA or New York in Law and Order.

Monday, June 3

MV5BMTE3ODNiMGMtZDNlOC00ZWE5LWJkZmUtNWMw

11 a.m.  Age of Indiscretion (1935).  Paul Lukas is not usually one of my favourites but I have yet to see this one.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, June 3

MV5BMTE3ODNiMGMtZDNlOC00ZWE5LWJkZmUtNWMw

11 a.m.  Age of Indiscretion (1935).  Paul Lukas is not usually one of my favourites but I have yet to see this one.

Even if you're not into Paul Lukas, surely the charismatic excitement that Ralph Forbes brings to his every scene will help to keep you mesmerized.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For Monday evening: if it weren't for the Hollywood Hair Hall of Fame theme, you'd never have had the chance to see The Little Princess in between Pandora's Box and Rebel Without a Cause. The theme is off to a good start, because Louise Brooks, Shirley Temple, and James Dean all had memorable and much-imitated hairstyles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kingrat said:

For Monday evening: if it weren't for the Hollywood Hair Hall of Fame theme, you'd never have had the chance to see The Little Princess in between Pandora's Box and Rebel Without a Cause. The theme is off to a good start, because Louise Brooks, Shirley Temple, and James Dean all had memorable and much-imitated hairstyles.

One of the most iconic images of the silent era, Louise Brooks as Lulu in PANDORA'S BOX. She delivers a completely natural, seemingly spontaneous, performance, without a hint of artifice.

louise-brooks.jpg?w968h681

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anybody have the Criterion DVD of Pandora's Box?  I watched the last TCM showing of it which I'd assume is the Criterion print since it had the Criterion title at the beginning, and a lot of the score seemed awfully familiar.  I'm just wondering if the liner notes mention what was used for the score.

There are definitely Christmas carols for the scenes in England, but I could swear I heard themes from Dvorak's New World Symphony and other stuff sounded familiar.

27 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Does anybody have the Criterion DVD of Pandora's Box?  I watched the last TCM showing of it which I'd assume is the Criterion print since it had the Criterion title at the beginning, and a lot of the score seemed awfully familiar.  I'm just wondering if the liner notes mention what was used for the score.

There are definitely Christmas carols for the scenes in England, but I could swear I heard themes from Dvorak's New World Symphony and other stuff sounded familiar.

There's a review of the Criterion DVD that discusses the 4 different scores that Criterion commissioned for the disc: 

https://reelclub.wordpress.com/2010/12/26/what’s-the-score-considering-the-four-score-options-for-pandora’s-box/

I have not confirmed but would suspect that TCM would use the 'classical orchestral score' in their presentation. Sorry, but there is no discussion of the sources of the score(s) to identify if there are similarities to other music.  There are, however, comments about the attempt of the score to match what audiences would have heard in 1929.

• Thanks 1

OK I looked through my collection and found that I had recorded a TCM showing of the Criterion version of Pandora's Box in April of 2016.  During the end credits there is a music "List of Pieces" section as follows:

Overture
Pyotr Tchaikovsky

Act One
Antonín Dvorák, Legends nos. 1-5

Act Two
Victor Holländer, “Monbijou-Sanssouci”
Paul Lincke, “Barn Dance”
Paul Lincke, “Berlin be Nacht”
Paul Lincke, “Rollschuh-Läufer-Walzer”

Act Three
Paul Lincke, “Wen der Mondschein scheint!”
Robert Stolz, “Whirled into Happiness no. 3”
Paul Lincke, “Casanova marche”
Eubie Blake, “Fizz Water”
Paul Lincke, “Am Bosorus”
Robert Stolz, “Whirled into Happiness no. 12, New Moon”
Robert Stolz, “Whirled into Happiness no. 15, Waltz”

Act Four
Eubie Blake, “Chevy Chase”
Paul Lincke, “Ninetta-Walzer no. 3”
Noble Sissle and Eubie Blake, “Ain’t Cha Coming Back, Mary Ann, to Maryland”
Pyotr Tchaikovsky, ‘Romeo and Juliet’

Act Five
Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Suite no. 1, op. 43, “Introduzioine e fuga”

Act Six
Igor Stravinsky, Scherzo Fantastique

Act Seven
Franz Liszt, ‘Faust’ Symphony, “Mephistopheles”

Act Eight
Medley of traditional Christmas carols and hymns:
“God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”
“Adeste fideles”
“It Came upon a Midnight Clear”
“Hark the Herald Angels Sing”
“Angels from the Realms of Glory”
Antonin Dvorák, Legends nos. 3, 2, 1
Pyotr Tchaikovsky, ‘Romeo and Juliet’
Reprise of Christmas carol medley

- Therefore Fedya, I am impressed with your ear for music.
(I typed this while reading the credits so I apologize in advance for typos.)

• Thanks 2

Tuesday, June 4

Dracula's%20disintegration%2003.jpg

12:30 p.m.  Horror of Dracula (1958).  With Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.  Gee I wonder if this copy will have the extra few frames at the ending that someone keeps mentioning?

On 6/1/2019 at 7:56 AM, Rumann Koch said:

I'll go one step further than you - I can't stand Peter Fonda's acting. 👎

I only tolerate him in "Easy Rider" (1969).

Eve, you're back!!!!

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

- Therefore Fedya, I am impressed with your ear for music.

If I listen to the radio, it's usually the classical music station.

The print TCM ran back in December (I think) that I recorded didn't have end credits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fedya said:

If I listen to the radio, it's usually the classical music station.

The print TCM ran back in December (I think) that I recorded didn't have end credits.

I notice they did the same thing this evening - there were no credits at all shown at the end of Pandora's Box.  Strange. 

Wednesday, June 5/6

MV5BMTkyNzc2NDc2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM4

5:30 a.m.  In Which We Serve (1942).  A tough look at sacrifice made during the war.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, June 6

hqdefault.jpg

5:45 p.m.  Battle of Britain (1969).  With the iconic William Walton composition.

Friday, June 7/8

whoslewauntieroo.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? (1971).  Don’t upset Shelley Winters.

• Thanks 1

Did the film have 2 different titles? I see it listed various places as either "Who Slew" or "Whoever Slew"....one for the US and the other in the UK?

7 hours ago, RoyCronin said:

Did the film have 2 different titles? I see it listed various places as either "Who Slew" or "Whoever Slew"....one for the US and the other in the UK?

I believe Whoever Slew is the original British title and Who Slew the U.S.

• Thanks 1