Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,842 posts in this topic

Saturday, June 8

MV5BZWIyMWZjNDgtMDczMi00ZGVkLTgyYzEtOTIy

8:10 a.m.  Bone Crushers (1933).  This short subject is just for Tor.

10.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Fowl Play (1937)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, June 8

MV5BZWIyMWZjNDgtMDczMi00ZGVkLTgyYzEtOTIy

8:10 a.m.  Bone Crushers (1933).  This short subject is just for Tor.

The Film Daily describes this as "one of the best wrestling shorts ever made." Personally, I think Gorgeous George had the best wrestling shorts ever made.

What a great cast: Charles "Midget" Fischer, Tony Felice, Steve Strolich, Frank Schroll, Lloyd Kennedy, Alex Aberg, "Doc" Lurik, Sol Schlegel, Rubin Schaffer, and Myron Cox - none of whom I have ever heard of. We get to see a "real" bout between Fischer and Felice. Tor could beat all these clowns blindfolded. Yeah, yeah, I know ... what if they weren't blindfolded?

• Haha 1

Saturday, June 08, 10:00 AM, The Falcon In Mexico.  This is one of the more entertaining movies in the series.

• Like 1

Ben MankiewiczVerified account @BenMank77 4h4 hours ago

One of the best documentaries ever made, enhanced - as always - by @ava’s keen and unique understanding of story and struggle.

Do not miss this dual opportunity to see Harlan County, USA with Ava DuVernay breaking it down.

================================

"....Harlan County, U.S.A. (1976) - was an astonishingly intimate and passionate work that won the Oscar® for Best Documentary and recently was selected as one of twenty-five films by the Library of Congress to be placed on its Film Registry.

Harlan County, U.S.A. is not a traditional documentary in any sense of the word.

It combines both cinema verite techniques with archival footage to create a context and background for the political struggle it depicts. Newsreels from the 1920s and '30s, interviews with doctors at the black lung center in West Virginia, information about the coal industry, and candid moments captured on film during the 13 month strike are expertly edited together to form a fascinating sociological study.....

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/330688/Harlan-County-U-S-A-/articles.html

• Like 1

From Sunday night's schedule: City for Conquest is an enjoyable film with elements of proletarian drama and gangster movie/film noir. Well directed by Anatole Litvak. Anthony Quinn in an early role as a villain, Ann Sheridan attractive as usual, and you even get to see Elia Kazan playing a gangster.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kingrat said:

From Sunday night's schedule: City for Conquest is an enjoyable film with elements of proletarian drama and gangster movie/film noir. Well directed by Anatole Litvak. Anthony Quinn in an early role as a villain, Ann Sheridan attractive as usual, and you even get to see Elia Kazan playing a gangster.

City for Conquest is a good film even if Cagney is 15 years (at least),  too old to be playing a boxer.

My favorite Cagney \ Sheridan film is Torrid Zone;  this is also on that same evening but at 4:00 am EDT (so even for me on the west coast it will be on too late,,,,)  but for those that haven't seen the film,  RECORD IT!!!).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

Ben MankiewiczVerified account @BenMank77 4h4 hours ago

One of the best documentaries ever made, enhanced - as always - by @ava’s keen and unique understanding of story and struggle.

Do not miss this dual opportunity to see Harlan County, USA with Ava DuVernay breaking it down.

================================

"....Harlan County, U.S.A. (1976) - was an astonishingly intimate and passionate work that won the Oscar® for Best Documentary and recently was selected as one of twenty-five films by the Library of Congress to be placed on its Film Registry.

Harlan County, U.S.A. is not a traditional documentary in any sense of the word.

It combines both cinema verite techniques with archival footage to create a context and background for the political struggle it depicts. Newsreels from the 1920s and '30s, interviews with doctors at the black lung center in West Virginia, information about the coal industry, and candid moments captured on film during the 13 month strike are expertly edited together to form a fascinating sociological study.....

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/330688/Harlan-County-U-S-A-/articles.html

It was rich to hear Mike Pompeo criticize China for not allowing Unions when America has such a sad history of trying to destroy them themselves.

What a great film.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Despite James Cagney's cheesy mustache and the presence of Andy Devine, I also really like Torrid Zone. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Despite James Cagney's cheesy mustache and the presence of Andy Devine, I also really like Torrid Zone. 

"Aw, shucks!"

Andy_Devine_-_The_Man_Who_Shot_Liberty_V

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

"Aw, shucks!"

Andy_Devine_-_The_Man_Who_Shot_Liberty_V

I know.  How could I not go for a honey like that?

Sunday, June 9

doris-day-spouse-doris-day-1953-Dc5225ce

Doris Day Tribute.   Your pick.

These were bumped and I hope they turn up in a future schedule at some point …

midnight.  The Red Kimona (1929).  Co-starring Tyrone Power Senior.

Satyajit Ray double bill …

Big City (1963)

The Coward (1965)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

It was rich to hear Mike Pompeo criticize China for not allowing Unions when America has such a sad history of trying to destroy them themselves.

What a great film.

Removed by TheCid.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, TheCid said:

One of the rising "stars" of the Republican Party is Nikki Haley, former UN ambassador and former governor of S.C. Some speculation she may run for president in 2024.  One of her signature policies was her total opposition to unions of any kind in S.C.  She promoted the state with big corporations as being anti-union.  

Not to turn this into a political thread (though you can't help avoid some politics when talking about union movies) but even John Kasich took pride in busting as many unions in his state as he possibly could.

I understand those that are not in unions thinking that those that are are a "protected species" but the flip side is Harlan County and Norma Rae and Salt of the Earth where workers are oppressed and taken advantage of.   Unions are not just about wages but about working conditions which sadly owners and corporations often care little about.

• Like 5

Tonight at (I thinK) 2:00 am (although hopefully it'll show up on Hulu) is CITY FOR CONQUEST with JAMES CAGNEY for WARNER BROS in 1940- I've been wanting to see this for a long time now...

th?id=OIP.9aP9R4sBqGxr4KUg-ei8swHaKc&pid

36 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Tonight at (I thinK) 2:00 am (although hopefully it'll show up on Hulu) is CITY FOR CONQUEST with JAMES CAGNEY for WARNER BROS in 1940- I've been wanting to see this for a long time now...

th?id=OIP.9aP9R4sBqGxr4KUg-ei8swHaKc&pid

That looks nothing like Ann Sheridan. But Cagney is too blind to notice.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

That looks nothing like Ann Sheridan. But Cagney is too blind to notice.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE BLIND????

Okay, I did not see that. I just wondered why his eyes were closed.

Yeah, this particular poster needed to go back to publicity with detailed notes attached because there are multiple issues.

Monday, June 10/11

10_004-1-640x380.jpg

4 a.m.  10 (1979).  With Dudley Moore and Bo Derek

Tomorrow June 10 at 6AM EST: Impact (1949) a public domain noir with an intriguing premise. Just don't get too annoyed that the legal system keeps adding two and two and getting five. Starring Brian Donlevy, Ella Raines, Charles Coburn, and Helen Walker. I'd say more about the holes in the legal logic, but then I'd have to spoil the film. Great shots of San Francisco and highway travel post-war.

NOTE: There is a great print of this on youtube that I watched about a month ago, so I'm hoping that what is shown tomorrow will also be from that crisp clean print, wherever it came from.

• Thanks 1

I think Ann Sheridan in Woman on the Run is a very good example of what Noir can be and how well she can act.  This is the one where she wears a bulky raincoat for most of the movie - hiding all the oomph.

I looked up Impact and it sounds good.  I think I may have seen it years ago.

• Haha 1

I watched Harlan County last night and was riveted through the whole thing.  I think those miners are heroes, one and all, just for going into those mines and working like that to support their families.  They had every right to safe working conditions and good pay.

[I'm so tickled to be back here.  It took two years but I never gave up!   After the board update I couldn't get my posts to "wraparound" so I couldn't get to the "submit" button. Today we updated our browser and now I can post here again.  Life is good.]😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

I watched Harlan County last night and was riveted through the whole thing.  I think those miners are heroes, one and all, just for going into those mines and working like that to support their families.  They had every right to safe working conditions and good pay.

[I'm so tickled to be back here.  It took two years but I never gave up!   After the board update I couldn't get my posts to "wraparound" so I couldn't get to the "submit" button. Today we updated our browser and now I can post here again.  Life is good.]😂

Welcome back.  Had an interesting conversation with a friend recently.  She said someone she knew stated that if her father had not belonged to a union, she would not have been able to  to college.  My reply was that neither my sister nor I would have gone to college if my father had not belonged to a union.  

Significant is that all of us were in the Deep South.  A goodly number of the unions that existed 30+ years ago are now gone.

• Sad 1

Tuesday, June 11/12

satyricon_1-1.jpg

4:30 a.m.  Fellini Satyricon (1969).  Creepy.  One of Fellini’s greats IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not at all fond of Fellini Satyricon, but would encourage people to give it a try.

• Thanks 1

June 11/12    (2:45 am)

I'm looking forward to seeing Angel, Angel, Down We Go (1969) aka: Cult of the Damned.  I believe it is the first time it has aired on TCM.  From American International Pictures, it marked a return to the screen for Jennifer Jones.

angel.png

• Thanks 1

Tuesday, 12:30 a.m

Pam Grier as Coffy (1973)

Pam has never looked better. I know because she shows just about everything in this action flick. Pam takes out the trash, blowing one guy's head off with a shotgun. I'm still not sure how she managed to conceal the shotgun in her pocketbook. I don't care, since she conceals little else. Nice 'fro, too. Robert DoQui plays a pimp and gets to wear a yellow suit. 

• Like 1