Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,826 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, darrylfxanax said:

June 11/12    (2:45 am)

I'm looking forward to seeing Angel, Angel, Down We Go (1969) aka: Cult of the Damned.  I believe it is the first time it has aired on TCM.  From American International Pictures, it marked a return to the screen for Jennifer Jones.

angel.png

Oh, Goodie! Have wanted to see this oddity for decades! Hope I dont forget.

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Oh, Goodie! Have wanted to see this oddity for decades! Hope I dont forget.

The TCM site has a feature where if you click on the movie on the schedule, you go to a link where you can request a reminder via email.

Thanks for reminding me. I'd forgotten about that.

also Tues., 6-11

10:00 PM (ET)
C - 111 m

Medium Cool (1969)

Synopsis: A TV news cameraman finds himself becoming personally involved in the violence that erupts around the 1968 Democratic National Convention.
DirHaskell Wexler CastRobert Forster , Verna Bloom , Peter Bonerz .

"......the form of "Medium Cool." That is, the way the movie was conceived, shot and edited.

Five years ago, this film would have been considered incomprehensible to the general movie audience. Now it's going into a big first-run house, and you don't hear the Loop exhibitors talking so scornfully about "art films" anymore. So what's going on when an experimental, radical film like "Medium Cool" can get this sort of exposure?

What's happened, I think, is that moviemakers have at last figured out how bright the average moviegoer is. By that I don't mean they're making more "intelligent" pictures. I mean they understand how quickly we can catch onto things.......

see: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/medium-cool-1969

3 hours ago, darrylfxanax said:

June 11/12    (2:45 am)

I'm looking forward to seeing Angel, Angel, Down We Go (1969) aka: Cult of the Damned.  I believe it is the first time it has aired on TCM.  From American International Pictures, it marked a return to the screen for Jennifer Jones.

angel.png

You and me both! I suspect this is bad, but I have to see Jennifer Jones in a countercultural film.

• Haha 2

Wednesday, June 12

677556b422979bc4908ddf4a289ff1b2.jpg

10 p.m.  Two Weeks With Love (1950).  Jane Powell SOTM with co-star Debbie Reynolds.

Thursday, June 13

719Qc0uxiDL._SL1000_.jpg

10 p.m.  Tora!  Tora!  Tora!  (1970).  Decent big budget, big cast film about Pearl Harbor attack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did anyone stay up to watch Angel, Angel Down We Go? I recorded it for wknd viewing!

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

Did anyone stay up to watch Angel, Angel Down We Go? I recorded it for wknd viewing!

that is the first movie I ever watched on youtube.

that was a loooooooong time ago and I STILL REMEMBER IT WELL.

it was an interesting choice for JENNifER JONES to play her role HIGH ON NITROUS OXIDE.

WOULD MAKE A GREAT DOUBLE BILL WITH "LYLAH CLARE"- AND BY "GREAT" I MEAN EXCELLENT WAY TO GET SOMEONE TO CONFESS THEIR DEEPEST DARKEST SECRETS TO YOU IN ORDER TO GET YOU TO TURN IT OFF

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, June 13

719Qc0uxiDL._SL1000_.jpg

10 p.m.  Tora!  Tora!  Tora!  (1970).  Decent big budget, big cast film about Pearl Harbor attack.

That has one of my favorite final lines in any movie ever.

Friday, June 14th, features Last of the Pagans (1935) 12 PM ET - Starring Mala and Lotus! Get 'em while supplies last! I've never seen this one, but the poster promises "white menace in the paradise of the bride hunters", which sounds fun.

MV5BYWVlOGYwOTYtN2E0OC00MjhiLTgwNTgtODgy

That's followed by the timeless Death Curse of Tartu (1966) at 1:30 PM ET - Filmed in beautiful downtown The Everglades, a witch doctor gets miffed when some nosy scientists touch his stuff, so he sends a shape-shifting apparition after them. Incredibly dumb and silly, TCM is doing everyone a great favor by airing this gem in the middle of the day. Recommended!

DeathCurseofTartu1966_26966_187x141_0413

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

that is the first movie I ever watched on youtube.

that was a loooooooong time ago and I STILL REMEMBER IT WELL.

it was an interesting choice for JENNifER JONES to play her role HIGH ON NITROUS OXIDE.

WOULD MAKE A GREAT DOUBLE BILL WITH "LYLAH CLARE"- AND BY "GREAT" I MEAN EXCELLENT WAY TO GET SOMEONE TO CONFESS THEIR DEEPEST DARKEST SECRETS TO YOU IN ORDER TO GET YOU TO TURN IT OFF

Lorna, I would love to see you do a FULL review of Angel, Angel, Down We Go. Also look forward to reviews by Hibi, Lawrence, and anyone else who wants to contribute. The Legend of Lylah Clare would indeed be a great double feature. So would The Graduate, with a similar love triangle, which might have helped Angel get greenlighted. So would Teorema, which is the high art version of a similar story, although Terence Stamp can act--no one would never accuse Jordan Christopher of that. And Terence Stamp doesn't have a hairdo which makes him look like a middle-aged woman. Zabriskie Point would also be a reasonable choice, because Angel has pretensions of making Important Political Points About American Life. "Black Afro-Americans," as Lou Rawls calls them, are mistreated, ought to be in rebellion, but are going to lose. Charles Aidman plays a Rich American Capitalist, and that is bad! Even though within the first minute of the film he's naked in the shower with a naked young guy who is very good-looking, so I wouldn't say he's ALL bad. Why, there are even references to the Vietnam War, which is seen Not To Be a Good Thing, unlike young people who have sex and take drugs.

Actually, the ideas in Angel aren't different from many another countercultural film, they're just spouted in such a trashy and ridiculous context that they sound especially foolish. TCM was absolutely right to include this in the Counterculture series.

What was Jennifer Jones thinking? Why this part in this film? Did she read the script? From The Song of Bernadette to a character who made thirty stag movies, "And I had an o***** every time!" What would the nun played by Gladys Cooper in The Song of Bernadette have said about that? Maybe TCM should do a theme of "Worst Movies Subsequently Made by Oscar Winners." You could have Joan Crawford in Trog, and so on.

I love that the script also has literary pretensions. There are references to Shakespeare, and the pretty blonde is called Anna Livia (reference to Joyce's Finnegans Wake). Mercy!

• Like 1

Friday, June 14

A day of shark films.  I guess Donald Trump will be glued to TCM today.  Then ...

robotvmummy1958.623120_080520151041.jpg

2:45 a.m.  The Robot vs the Aztec Mummy (1958).  The last time I saw this was the Friday fright night television show out of Buffalo.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kingrat said:

Lorna, I would love to see you do a FULL review of Angel, Angel, Down We Go. Also look forward to reviews by Hibi, Lawrence, and anyone else who wants to contribute. The Legend of Lylah Clare would indeed be a great double feature. So would The Graduate, with a similar love triangle, which might have helped Angel get greenlighted. So would Teorema, which is the high art version of a similar story, although Terence Stamp can act--no one would never accuse Jordan Christopher of that. And Terence Stamp doesn't have a hairdo which makes him look like a middle-aged woman. Zabriskie Point would also be a reasonable choice, because Angel has pretensions of making Important Political Points About American Life. "Black Afro-Americans," as Lou Rawls calls them, are mistreated, ought to be in rebellion, but are going to lose. Charles Aidman plays a Rich American Capitalist, and that is bad! Even though within the first minute of the film he's naked in the shower with a naked young guy who is very good-looking, so I wouldn't say he's ALL bad. Why, there are even references to the Vietnam War, which is seen Not To Be a Good Thing, unlike young people who have sex and take drugs.

Actually, the ideas in Angel aren't different from many another countercultural film, they're just spouted in such a trashy and ridiculous context that they sound especially foolish. TCM was absolutely right to include this in the Counterculture series.

What was Jennifer Jones thinking? Why this part in this film? Did she read the script? From The Song of Bernadette to a character who made thirty stag movies, "And I had an o***** every time!" What would the nun played by Gladys Cooper in The Song of Bernadette have said about that? Maybe TCM should do a theme of "Worst Movies Subsequently Made by Oscar Winners." You could have Joan Crawford in Trog, and so on.

I love that the script also has literary pretensions. There are references to Shakespeare, and the pretty blonde is called Anna Livia (reference to Joyce's Finnegans Wake). Mercy!

I can't wait to watch it! I can't imagine why Jennifer would want to work in an AIP movie. At least few people saw it. She didnt need the money. Maybe she just wanted to keep busy. Thankfully, at least she finished her career in an A picture (Towering Inferno). Too bad Terms of Endearment didnt work out. (She owned the rights, but couldnt get it produced with her as the star, so sold it.)

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, June 14

A day of shark films.  I guess Donald Trump will be glued to TCM today.  Then ...

robotvmummy1958.623120_080520151041.jpg

2:45 a.m.  The Robot vs the Aztec Mummy (1958).  The last time I saw this was the Friday fright night television show out of Buffalo.

I think you'll discover it hasn't gotten any better since then.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I can't wait to watch it! I can't imagine why Jennifer would want to work in an AIP movie. At least few people saw it. She didnt need the money. Maybe she just wanted to keep busy. Thankfully, at least she finished her career in an A picture (Towering Inferno). Too bad Terms of Endearment didnt work out. (She owned the rights, but couldnt get it produced with her as the star, so sold it.)

I didn't know that Jennifer Jones had the rights to Terms of Endearment. That at least makes sense. Angel, Angel, Down We Go makes you wonder if she had lost the ability to act, though I seem to recall that she was OK in The Towering Inferno

Jones had a rough time of it after Selznick died in the mid-60s, I attribute this poor film choice to that. She attempted suicide once. Maybe she thought keeping busy would help. She had plenty of money.

5 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I think you'll discover it hasn't gotten any better since then.

Here you go.  The entry from my film diary that I had just started that year.  Two stars out of four means "fair" which is pretty harsh for I gave most films three, three and a half or four stars when I started the diary.

27.    The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy    Fri.Dec.6,68     **    1958    1    Rafael Portillo

Ramon Gray, Rosa Arenas

22 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Here you go.  The entry from my film diary that I had just started that year.  Two stars out of four means "fair" which is pretty harsh for I gave most films three, three and a half or four stars when I started the diary.

27.    The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy    Fri.Dec.6,68     **    1958    1    Rafael Portillo

Ramon Gray, Rosa Arenas

My wife gave it 1, out of kindness and she is a big fan of SciFy, even bad SciFy.

24 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Ramon Gray, Rosa Arenas

My wife gave it 1, out of kindness and she is a big fan of SciFy, even bad SciFy.

• Haha 1

10:08 AM, Saturday,June 15:  The Falcon in Hollywood.  Another good entry in the Falcon series and features dthe RKO studio unless I am mistaken.

44 minutes ago, TheCid said:

How old was she when she gave it a One?  I gave it two in 1968 when I was a kid which was the era when most movies were a four IMO.

7 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

How old was she when she gave it a One?  I gave it two in 1968 when I was a kid which was the era when most movies were a four IMO.

Not saying, but within the past few years.

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Not saying, but within the past few years.

Well, I'm guessing that she wasn't a child bride and she wasn't 12 years of age as was I.  :lol:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Saturday, June 15

lets-celebrake-c2a9-max-fleischer.jpg?w=

10 a.m.  Popeye: Let’s Celebrake (1933).

then the Agnes Varda tribute

VARDA-DU-COTE.png

11:30 p.m.  Du Cote de la Cote (1958).  A short subject about the French Riviera.

Fans of Agnes Varda should look for her last film which was released this year.  Made for television it is also getting a theatrical release.  This is not on TCM at this time.

MV5BOWI1MjE5OTEtZmNkMC00ZTlkLWI0YWUtMjM3

Varda by Agnes (2019) Agnes Varda
Edited by Bogie56
  • Like 2