Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,101 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, June 15

VARDA-DU-COTE.png

midnight.  Du Cote de la Cote (1958).  A short subject about the French Riviera.

According to TCM schedule, this is on at 11:30, before Saturday night's Noir Alley presentation of Pickup on South Street at Midnight.

• Thanks 1

they seem to be having a sort of shark-themed day on TCM,

at 6:30 om today (Friday the 14th) they are showing TIGER SHARK (1932) which is a curiosity to me.

It is basically LITTLE CAESAR at sea (LITTLE SEASAR?)...

It's a Precode, which I love, has EDWARD G ROBINSON, who I love, was directed by HOWARD HAWKS, whom I love, it's a sea picture, which I enjoy, and it costars two interesting actresses- LEILA BENNETT and ZITA JOHANN (of THE MUMMY fame.)

but you what? It kinda sucks.

it's clunky, the sound is bad, and the actual footage of the open sea and actual sharks really, really does not pair well with the obvious soundstage shots and is- as I recall- accompanied by some Foley sounds of water lapping that someone recorded in a kitchen sink.

edit- it's literally THIS level of realism:

Fuck-sharks.jpg

• Haha 2

Saturday, June 15, 2:15 PM, Kansas City Confidential (1952) with John Payne, Coleen Gray, Preston Foster, Lee Van Cleef, Jack Elam, Neville Brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunday, June 16

i326384.jpg

3:45 a.m.  Les Rendezvous d’Anna (1978).  Chantal Akerman film.  If you are in the mood for a slow cerebral film at this time.

• Thanks 1

Sunday afternoon-

is it just me or does A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT (1993) show up an awful lot on weekends?...I mean, not GIGI or BEN-HUR levels, but enough to get some side-eye from me....

I mean, I'm not one of those "HOW DARE THEY SHOW SOMETHING FROM THE LAST 30 YEARS ON TCM???" TYPES, but if it's going to be trotted out this much, I think there's better films from the era than this.

Monday, June 17th, 1:30 PM, Edward G. Robinson stars in Brother Orchid (1940) as a crime boss alongside Humphrey Bogart.

brotherorchid_mp_1sht_1200_081120080540.

Edward G. Robinson, gangster role, a perfect combination! But alas, instead Canada gets a romantic comedy entitled Affectionately Yours, slightly ironic. But this was on before in a crime block, some long time ago.

• Like 1

Monday, June 17

Eleanor_Roosevelt,_Ralph_Bellamy,_and_Gr

3:15 p.m.  Sunrise at Campobello (1960).  With Ralph Bellamy as FDR.  Nice Canadian island retreat by the way.

• Like 1

Tuesday, June 18/19

526.jpg

midnight.  Staircase (1969).  Fans of Rex Harrison and Richard Burton may wish to give this a try.  They camp it up as an aging gay couple.  I thought they were great.

MV5BZTQ2NDJlOTMtN2FlOS00NzhhLWJmNDAtNzU0

3:30 a.m.  Z (1969).  Top notch political thriller by Costa-Gavras.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Sunday afternoon-

is it just me or does A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT (1993) show up an awful lot on weekends?...I mean, not GIGI or BEN-HUR levels, but enough to get some side-eye from me....

I mean, I'm not one of those "HOW DARE THEY SHOW SOMETHING FROM THE LAST 30 YEARS ON TCM???" TYPES, but if it's going to be trotted out this much, I think there's better films from the era than this.

It IS on an awful lot.......

• Thanks 1

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice is on tomorrow.  I love this film.  I find the 60s sex revolution films interesting.  They're just starting to get a little more risque than the production code films, but not so risque that they garner an R or X rating. 

• Like 1

Wednesday, June 19

brightroad1953_639_678x380_1211201304420

6:45 p.m.  Bright Road (1953).  With Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte.

Looking quickly, in that photo Dorothy Dandridge looks a bit like Jennifer Jones.  Anyone else see it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RoyCronin said:

Looking quickly, in that photo Dorothy Dandridge looks a bit like Jennifer Jones.  Anyone else see it?

YES.

7 hours ago, RoyCronin said:

Agree. I also see a bit of Jane Wyman there also.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

Agree. I also see a bit of Jane Wyman there also.

YES.

17 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice is on tomorrow.  I love this film.  I find the 60s sex revolution films interesting.  They're just starting to get a little more risque than the production code films, but not so risque that they garner an R or X rating. 

Bob, etc was rated R. 

53 minutes ago, alleybj said:

Bob, etc was rated R. 

I guess I was thinking of today’s rated R when I wrote that. Nowadays, Bob, et. Al Would get a PG-13 at best. 

• Like 1

Thursday, June 20/21

image-w1280.jpg?1445905491

4:45 a.m.  Eight Iron Men (1952).  Commando film that co-stars Lee Marvin.

from this afternoon, don't remember seeing  this one before & it was quite effective and WITHOUT the Dead End Kids!! ;)

1:15 PM

drama
Boy Slaves (1939)

Synopsis: A young runaway ends up in a juvenile labor camp.
DirP. J. Wolfson CastAnne Shirley , Roger Daniel , James McCallion .

new_ondemand_button.png

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 P J Wolfson. Anne Shirley, Roger Daniel, James McCallion, Walter Ward, Charles Powers, Johnny Fitzgerald, Walter Tetley, Charles Lane.

"Grim social drama about a gang of impoverished runaways who are promised work by oily businessman Lane, only to end up behind barbed wire in a forced labor camp. Scrappy grade-B hybrid of WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD and I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG is dated but still packs a punch."

• Like 1

Friday, June 21/22

NIGHTMARE+MAKER.jpeg

2:45 a.m.  Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (1981).  Another nutzoid Auntie film.  With Susan Tyrrell.

• Like 1

Saturday, June 22

latest?cb=20161003030726

10 a.m.  Popeye: Learn Polikeness (1938)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Saturday, June 22

latest?cb=20161003030726

10 a.m.  Popeye: Learn Polikeness (1938)

aka OLIVE OYL GOES ON A DATE WITH BEN ROETHELSBERGER

• Haha 1

I usually try to focus on the "hits" and not the "misses"- but two films that I really recommend avoiding are on today- DREAM WIFE (1953)- which is the WORST NON-BETSY DRAKE FILM CARY GRANT EVER MADE and IRMA LA DUECE (1963), which actually starts out promisingly, but then goes off the rails totally.

the TCM UNDERGROUND feature is ANOTHER REPEAT- BUTCHER, BAKER, NIGHTMARE MAKER- starring SUSAN TYRRELL- it's interesting enough if you haven't caught it already.

• Thanks 1