Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,626 posts in this topic

Lorna, thanks for giving a shout out to Leora Dana. She's also very good in Kings Go Forth, and does her best with an awful part in Some Came Running.

• Like 1

I also remember Leora Dana in a very, very small role as Joan Hackett's mother in "The Group" and in one of her last roles, a great bit in John Sayles's sadly underappreciated and largely forgotten "Baby It's You" as Rosanna Arquette's drama teacher.

• Like 1

Wednesday, July 17/18

SJkXkNR.png

“Keep on telling me about the good life, Elton because it makes me puke.”

4 a.m.  Five Easy Pieces (1970).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wednesday July 17th

James Cagney - 12:45pm to 8pm

I can single out the two obvious picks for me; The Public Enemy (1931) and White Heat (1949)

220px-The_Public_Enemy_1931_Poster.jpg220px-WhiteHeat.jpg

First one, it has gangsters, James Cagney, organized crime, gangsters in organized crime, prohibition and the poster just screams gangsters and molls, where he will die in a gun battle because that's how all crime movies end. She's a girl up to no good who will fall for Cagney and more gun battles with a grapefruit scene thrown in. I am psyched for The Public Enemy.

I don't even need to explain why for White Heat.

It was easier to mention the start and end of it, as the bookends are the real treat. The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941) and Footlight Parade (1933) are the filling of this sandwich that's just plain criminal.

Edited by Ampersand
6PM was when White Heat started, just noticed that 24 minutes before it started.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, July 17/18

SJkXkNR.png

“Keep on telling me about the good life, Elton because it makes me puke.”

4 a.m.  Five Easy Pieces (1970).

Just so long as he doesn't do it on that chicken salad sandwiche he wants so much.

Thursday, July 18

the-train1.jpg

8 p.m.  The Train (1964).  Super John Frankenheimer film with Burt Lancaster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Friday, July 19/20

maxresdefault.jpg

2 a.m.  Lifeforce (1985).  Space Vampires!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2019 at 8:32 PM, TomJH said:

Just so long as he doesn't do it on that chicken salad sandwiche he wants so much.

Is this the one where he wants toast and to hold the chicken salad or chicken salad and hold the toast?  I have a friend who will order tuna salad sandwiches in order to get tuna salad and leaves the bread.

5 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Is this the one where he wants toast and to hold the chicken salad or chicken salad and hold the toast?  I have a friend who will order tuna salad sandwiches in order to get tuna salad and leaves the bread.

Yeh, but does he ever hold the tuna between his knees?

• Haha 1

Saturday, July 20

0140d9f928dc59e87ec93f3f4fcd9d26.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Plumbing Is a Pipe (1938). 

5056760334_4866e97751_b.jpg

2 a.m.  Zabriskie Point (1970).  This would make for a good double bill with Orson Welles’ The Other Side of the Wind (2018).  The Welles film was filmed at a sister home to the one used in Zabriskie.  Not to mention Welles' spoof film-within-a-film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2019 at 5:29 AM, Bogie56 said:

Friday, July 19/20

maxresdefault.jpg

2 a.m.  Lifeforce (1985).  Space Vampires!

IT'S SO BAD THOUGH.

I say "miss."

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

IT'S SO BAD THOUGH.

I say "miss."

You could not be more wrong.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

IT'S SO BAD THOUGH.

I say "miss."

I saw it in England a year ago and thought it was in the same vein (no pun intended) as the Quartermass films.  IMO it wasn't bad if you aren't expecting so much.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

You could not be more wrong [in re: LIFEFORCE]

45 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I saw it in England a year ago and thought it was in the same vein (no pun intended) as the Quartermass films.  IMO it wasn't bad if you aren't expecting so much.

LIFEFORCE does have a certain "movie-ness" about it; it almost seems like a fictitious Sci-Fi film-within-a-film; and it's got some good "old-fashioned" stunts and special effects in the third act after LONDON has descended into chaos (you're right about the QUATERMASS similarities)...I think it was after the failure of this film that GOLAN-GLOBUS started notoriously cutting corners on their films (ie SUPERMAN IV)

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

IT'S SO BAD THOUGH.

I say "miss."

If it's a miss tomorrow, then it'll be on in another few months.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

If it's a miss tomorrow, then it'll be on in another few months.

POLTERGEIST too. DAMN that movie is on TCM so so much!

• Like 1

Sunday, July 21

league-hanks.jpg

10 p.m.  A League of Their Own (1992).  By Penny Marshall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

POLTERGEIST too. DAMN that movie is on TCM so so much!

This time, though, it was finally on in the most fitting time slot (Underground.)

I do love the scene toward the end, though, when they are trying to frantically escape their exploding house, and their oldest daughter gets dropped off by her friend (who then drives away 😲). Everyone in the family is yelling at her to get in the car but she just stands there in horror watching it all. Then, her little brother pleads "Drive away, dad, drive away!" No sibling love there! 🤣

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

This time, though, it was finally on in the most fitting time slot (Underground.)

I do love the scene toward the end, though, when they are trying to frantically escape their exploding house, and their oldest daughter gets dropped off by her friend (who then drives away 😲). Everyone in the family is yelling at her to get in the car but she just stands there in horror watching it all. Then, her little brother pleads "Drive away, dad, drive away!" No sibling love there! 🤣

that is a funny scene, and the clip of her looking at the possessed house and screaming "WHAT IS HAPPENING?"  became a popular gif/meme with regard to the 2016 election

d6e671c.gif

(as a matter of fact, it summed up how I felt pretty well.)

that scene actually does have a very unsettling real life counterpart i'm sure a lot of you know about, actress DOMINIQUE DUNNE who played the daughter was murdered outside her LA Apartment by an abusive boyfriend while an actor friend of hers remained inside the house and didn't open the door (he claims he never heard the screams.)

• Thanks 1

While the City Sleeps is a very good Noir on at Midnight Saturday and 10 AM Sunday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheCid said:

While the City Sleeps is a very good Noir on at Midnight Saturday and 10 AM Sunday.

Yes, and we get to see Rhonda Fleming exercising in her bathing suit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Obviously a key noir element.  I believe Vincent Price (husband) is practicing his putting at the same time.

1 minute ago, scsu1975 said:

Ah,  we think alike.   I was going to add another example of a sub-plot that to me drags  down the movie;  the James Craig (who drags down movies in general),  and Fleming's romance with him behind Price's back.   Nothing of interest there at all, so I was going to say they should have cut all of that out,  BUT then I remember that exercising scene;     Yea,   lots of interest there after all!

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

Ah,  we think alike.   I was going to add another example of a sub-plot that to me drags  down the movie;  the James Craig (who drags down movies in general),  and Fleming's romance with him behind Price's back.   Nothing of interest there at all, so I was going to say they should have cut all of that out,  BUT then I remember that exercising scene;     Yea,   lots of interest there after all!

After all, if you are going to have Rhonda Fleming and Ida Lupino in the movie they have to have something interesting to do.  Whether drag down the movie or not, they are entertaining sub-plots.