Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,850 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

If Nymph was meant to have a lurid title, wouldn't it have an O at the end so it would be Nymph0?

Or if you've read Nabokov, "Nymphet."

• Thanks 1

Sunday, September 1

08d5ce7e8b57592dde212dc179ea9ec6.jpg

2 a.m.  Scent of a Woman (1974).  The original with Vittorio Gassman.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Even for a sitcom character she was pretty clueless. Have to admit she was a bit of a

dingbat, though a nice one.

Well, anyone who'd give money to The Black Panther Party because she thought they'd preserve wildlife can't be all bad, eh?  ;) 

You do realize( hopefully because it was so obvious) that Edith's "simplicity", et al: her looking at things in such an innocuous manner served to take much of the "bite" out of Archie's racial and social rants, therefore somehow making him appear as the bigger "dingbat"(his favorite slur about her).  ;) 

And sadly today, on KIRK DOUGLAS day, a lot of his greats( and usual suspects) are on, but I would have liked to see LONELY ARE THE BRAVE among the line-up.  :(

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

for tomorrow on SILENT SUNDAY  (don't remember seeing this before)  :unsure:

12:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 72 min
drama

Synopsis: In this silent film, a World War I veteran takes on the Ku Klux Klan when he loses his wife to a womanizing Klansman.

DirJames Cruze CastThomas Meighan , Evelyn Brent , Renée Adorée .

The New York Times observed, "It looks very much as though a great deal of superfluous matter had been packed into The Mating Call."An outspoken critic of cinematic decadence, the trade publication Harrison's Reports dismissed the film as "controversial in nature." Curiously, it was more concerned that the depiction of "The Order" might offend regional chapters of the Ku Klux Klan, and bring about negative repercussions....."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/498285/Mating-Call-The/articles.html

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And sadly today, on KIRK DOUGLAS day, a lot of his greats( and usual suspects) are on, but I would have liked to see LONELY ARE THE BRAVE among the line-up.

Yea,  it would have been nice for TCM to show Lonely Are The Brave.   Fine film,  but one very sad one.

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, anyone who'd give money to The Black Panther Party because she thought they'd preserve wildlife can't be all bad, eh?  ;) 

You do realize( hopefully because it was so obvious) that Edith's "simplicity", et al: her looking at things in such an innocuous manner served to take much of the "bite" out of Archie's racial and social rants, therefore somehow making him appear as the bigger "dingbat"(his favorite slur about her).  ;) 

And sadly today, on KIRK DOUGLAS day, a lot of his greats( and usual suspects) are on, but I would have liked to see LONELY ARE THE BRAVE among the line-up.  :(

Sepiatone

Yes her lack of knowledge was a foil to his utter bigotry which she didn't share in, but

that an adult could be so ignorant was hard to digest, even in a sitcom. I know they've

shown LATB in the past. I'm also a little surprised that they aren't showing it after

Michael Douglas in their promo about Kirk said that that was Kirk's favorite movie.

Maybe, for whatever reason, it wasn't available. I will likely watch Town Without Pity. I

haven't seen that in maybe fifteen or twenty years.

Monday, September 2

MV5BNjkyODY1MGItZGQxYi00MWYzLTg1YjYtYjRh

7:30 a.m.  The Great Meadow (1931).  Filmed in 70mm!  I’ll be interested to see how this is presented on television.

21 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

A lovely film. Wonderful to watch the relationship between the cowboy and his horse. Also the film that is Kirk's  personal favourite of his career. Douglas is known for playing a lot of screen rats but this film shows how likeable and charming be could be while still portraying a rugged individualist.

NM-Film-Review-NMFilmNews.jpg

• Like 5

I was curious to see that, too, after watching Michael's tribute to his father. 

Those tributes are one of my favorite things about TCM.  The one to Ingrid Bergman by one of my favorites, Patricia Clarkson, even made me see Ingrid through her eyes for a while. ;)

16 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Yes her lack of knowledge was a foil to his utter bigotry which she didn't share in, but

that an adult could be so ignorant was hard to digest, even in a sitcom. I know they've

shown LONELY ARE THE BRAVE in the past. I'm also a little surprised that they aren't showing it after

Michael Douglas in their promo about Kirk said that that was Kirk's favorite movie.

Maybe, for whatever reason, it wasn't available. I will likely watch Town Without Pity. I

haven't seen that in maybe fifteen or twenty years.

WHEN Kirk was a SOTM a good while ago, they had to pull LONELY ARE THE BRAVE and rerun MARTHA IVERS (which is PUBLIC DOMAIN) in its scheduled slot. They thought they had the rights but they didn't. they kept airing the promo for it all month though.

17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

, but that an adult could be so ignorant was hard to digest, even in a sitcom.

Not really, as most people then (than apparently now) realized it was a sitcom and not a documentary.  ;) And after shows like MY MOTHER THE CAR, THE MUNSTERS, MY FAVORITE MARTIAN and GILLIGAN'S ISLAND,  well then ALL IN THE FAMILY must have seemed like PBS level television!  ;)  And I don't think most people, like me, saw Edith as ignorant as she was(and I stated earlier) innocuous. And delightfully so. And never judging people quick or harsh, but waited for them to display their true personalities before she held an impression that never had anything to do with race, ethnicity, age, gender or any other outward appearance.  

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Monday, Sept 2

12:45pm (EST) TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

giphy.gif

I've heard of this film. Word is it's pretty good.

The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-Gold-Ha

"Good? I'll say the film is good, amigo, and I'll blow the stinkin' head off of any hombre that says it isn't! Now, Pepe, hand me those pliers and I'll show this filthy gringo how to remove a tooth."

5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Monday, Sept 2

12:45pm (EST) TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

giphy.gif

I've heard of this film. Word is it's pretty good.

The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-Gold-Ha

"Good? I'll say the film is good, amigo, and I'll blow the stinkin' head off of any hombre that says it isn't! Now, Pepe, hand me those pliers and I'll show this filthy gringo how to remove a tooth."

Are there any badgers in this film?

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Are there any badgers in this film?

Gold_Hat_portrayed_by_Alfonso_Bedoya.jpg

"Nah, I don't need those stinkin' things."

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WHEN Kirk was a SOTM a good while ago, they had to pull LONELY ARE THE BRAVE and rerun MARTHA IVERS (which is PUBLIC DOMAIN) in its scheduled slot. They thought they had the rights but they didn't. they kept airing the promo for it all month though.

That is kind of funny. I know it's been on TCM before and I  too think it is one of Kirk's best

films. I watched Town Without Pity, which I hadn't seen in ages. Being the early 1960s, Kirk

used the blame the victim defense on steroids. Things didn't turn out quite as he had hoped,

at least in some respects.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Vautrin said:

That is kind of funny. I know it's been on TCM before and I  too think it is one of Kirk's best

films. I watched Town Without Pity, which I hadn't seen in ages. Being the early 1960s, Kirk

used the blame the victim defense on steroids. Things didn't turn out quite as he had hoped,

at least in some respects.

It isn't very pretty.

or so I hear.

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Not really, as most people then (than apparently now) realized it was a sitcom and not a documentary.  ;) And after shows like MY MOTHER THE CAR, THE MUNSTERS, MY FAVORITE MARTIAN and GILLIGAN'S ISLAND,  well then ALL IN THE FAMILY must have seemed like PBS level television!  ;)  And I don't think most people, like me, saw Edith as ignorant as she was(and I stated earlier) innocuous. And delightfully so. And never judging people quick or harsh, but waited for them to display their true personalities before she held an impression that never had anything to do with race, ethnicity, age, gender or any other outward appearance.  

Sepiatone

I agree with that and I didn't think too much of it at the time, but watching the show in

reruns for many years, I just have to say that the American educational system wasn't

quite as good as people say it was in the 1930s and 1940s. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It isn't very pretty.

or so I hear.

No it wasn't. TWP is one of those early 1960s films where they could only go so far, but they go

as far as they can and make it as sleazy as possible with lots of wink winks. As a story about how

a town can get ugly and turn against its citizens it does so very effectively. Kirk's goal was to break

down the girl so totally that she would not complete her testimony and so his clients could not

face the death penalty. That worked, but other things did not. And the sound of the theme song

fits perfectly with the whole nasty vibe of the movie.

• Thanks 1

Tuesday, September 3

352c0103e01c8888acf4ecb6afc5029e.jpg

7:15 a.m.  Tarzan’s Desert Mystery (1943).  Tarzan, Nazis and is this the one with the quicksand?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, September 3

352c0103e01c8888acf4ecb6afc5029e.jpg

7:15 a.m.  Tarzan’s Desert Mystery (1943).  Tarzan, Nazis and is this the one with the quicksand?

I don't remember quicksand but there's a man eating plant whose vines capture Tarzan, as well as some blown up iguanas and mini crocodiles with fins glued to their backs serving as dinosaurs. There's also a spider bigger than a house.

• Haha 2

On September 1, 2019 at 5:33 AM, Bogie56 said:

Monday, September 2

MV5BNjkyODY1MGItZGQxYi00MWYzLTg1YjYtYjRh

7:30 a.m.  The Great Meadow (1931).  Filmed in 70mm!  I’ll be interested to see how this is presented on television.

I caught a bit of this this morning and it was not a 70mm print but your standard 1:37.  The film itself looked rather creaky.  Oh, well.

Tuesday, Sep. 3 - lots of SciFi.  The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and The Giant Behemoth are fairly good.

Interesting that One Million BC (1940) is Horror and the remake One Million Years BC is Adventure.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I agree with that and I didn't think too much of it at the time, but watching the show in

reruns for many years, I just have to say that the American educational system wasn't

quite as good as people say it was in the 1930s and 1940s. :)

And on that note I'll mention my Mother's consternation in the early '90s when a group of what she called "lemon-sucking prudes" tried to get American public high schools to drop the idea of having those students read WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'S "Romeo and Juliet" due to the matter of teen-age marriage and sexual activity in the classic, and it might incite impressionable teen-agers into being sexually active! :o :rolleyes:  Her argument being that as most people, even adults found Shakespeare boring and hard to understand, then how in the HELL are those kids going to get ANY unsavory ideas from it?  Well, I got her point since I recalled when we were reading the play in English class all I could think of was how it seemed to be the ONLY thing that could make me look forward to GYM CLASS!  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

Sidney Poitier's run as SOTM gets off to a good start Tuesday night. Though Something of Value and Band of Angels have their weaknesses, I like them, and Poitier is great in both. Granted that Rock Hudson isn't ideally cast as an Englishman who's grown up in Kenya, this is a strong story about how the Mau Mau uprising affects two men (Poitier and Hudson) who have known each other since childhood. The opening scene of the two shirtless stars playing soccer will appeal to some. In Band of Angels Yvonne De Carlo is believably cast as a young aristocrat who's discovered to be less than 100% white; Clark Gable is also effective in one of his older, tougher, world-weary roles.

I keep forgetting to watch Edge of the City, so here's another chance. Poitier and Richard Widmark are dependably fine in No Way Out, and Linda Darnell considered this her best performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

And on that note I'll mention my Mother's consternation in the early '90s when a group of what she called "lemon-sucking prudes" tried to get American public high schools to drop the idea of having those students read WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE'S "Romeo and Juliet" due to the matter of teen-age marriage and sexual activity in the classic, and it might incite impressionable teen-agers into being sexually active! :o :rolleyes:  Her argument being that as most people, even adults found Shakespeare boring and hard to understand, then how in the HELL are those kids going to get ANY unsavory ideas from it?  Well, I got her point since I recalled when we were reading the play in English class all I could think of was how it seemed to be the ONLY thing that could make me look forward to GYM CLASS!  :D 

Sepiatone

I wish somebody had tried to stop our class from reading Romeo and Juliet. Of course

that might leave Macbeth or Hamlet, which aren't exactly wholesome reading material.

Yeah, I doubt that most teenagers would have picked up on all of Shakespeare's erotic

puns unless the teacher pointed them out. 

• Thanks 2