Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,839 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

1. I live about 10 minutes away from (the literal) Atlantic Ocean. And the drive keeps getting a little bit shorter every year.

2. I don’t know, depends on where we’re talking about in Florida. The panhandle? Absolutely not. the Cinderella suite at Walt Disney castle? we can talk.

LOL. Glad you can keep your sense of humor. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, September 6

zl6HcgYEKxdINIOWj9s9ulXoAFS.jpg

3 p.m.  Highly Dangerous (1950).  Good cast in this cold war film from the UK.  Margaret Lockwood, Marius Goring, Michael Hordern, Naunton Wayne.

And of course DANE CLARK, who never IMHO got the amount of work he surely deserved.

Sepiatone

Saturday, September 7

x1080

10 a.m.  Popeye: Bulldozing the Bull (1933).

MV5BMmVlZWEzN2UtZTJhNy00YTE5LWE0NzQtN2U5

3:30 a.m.  Ringo and His Golden Pistol (1966).  Spaghetti western (with extra cheese) by Sergio Carbucci.

Sunday, September 8

arms19.jpg?w=584

midnight approx.  Shoulder Arms (1918).  Charlie Chaplin in WWI.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, September 8

arms19.jpg?w=584

midnight approx.  Shoulder Arms (1918).  Charlie Chaplin in WWI.

I'm not a big Chaplin fan, but I have to admit this one is a cute film. The scene where Charlie is disguised as a tree is very funny. Charlie's brother Sydney plays his buddy and also the Kaiser. The film is also available on YouTube.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2019 at 6:11 AM, Bogie56 said:

x1080

10 a.m.  Popeye: Bulldozing the Bull (1933).

FWIW, the copyright says 1938.  :P

6 minutes ago, Fedya said:

FWIW, the copyright says 1938.  :P

You're right.  I should know better than to trust the TCM listings for that type of information.

Monday, September 9

birthplace-of-marie-dressler.jpg

The Marie Dressler House & Museum, Cobourg, Ontario.

MV5BMWI5YzNhNGUtZDlkNS00M2ExLWI4NjctYzc2

9:45 p.m.  Emma (1932).  With the lady from Cobourg, Ontario, Marie Dressler.

Tuesday, September 10/11

Alan-Ladd-Sidney-Poitier-James-Darren-Al

3:45 a.m.  All the Young Men (1960).  This is a Sidney Poitier film that I have not seen.

Wednesday, September 11

sweetsmell.jpg?itok=tCHrBtq2

9:45 p.m.  Sweet Smell of Success (1957).   The characters are fascinating in this one.  Both Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis are very good.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, September 10/11

Alan-Ladd-Sidney-Poitier-James-Darren-Al

3:45 a.m.  All the Young Men (1960).  This is a Sidney Poitier film that I have not seen.

By the expression on Alan Ladd's face I think he's ticked you didn't mention him, Bogie.

37 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, September 9

birthplace-of-marie-dressler.jpg

The Marie Dressler House & Museum, Cobourg, Ontario.

MV5BMWI5YzNhNGUtZDlkNS00M2ExLWI4NjctYzc2

9:45 p.m.  Emma (1932).  With the lady from Cobourg, Ontario, Marie Dressler.

Really, really want to get to Cobourg one of these days.  I understand they do a great Vintage Film Festival and I love Marie Dressler.  "Emma" is one of my favorites! (Especially love seeing Myrna Loy being such a petulant brat!)

On 9/7/2019 at 4:29 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

THIS IS UNCANNY!

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 8:

TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: STARRING CAROL LYNLEY
8:00 PM

suspense

10:00 PM

Blue Denim (1959)

WAS IT PRE-SCEDULED?

I saw both of these some time back.  Not impressed with either one of them.

15 hours ago, TheCid said:

I saw both of these [BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING and BLUE DENIM] some time back.  Not impressed with either one of them.

I SWEAR I THINK that I am the only person here who likes BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING. (Maybe LAWRENCE is ok with it...? But not even Kingrat likes it, and we're simpatico on almost everything)

granted it's been a while, but i really liked it and still remember details (which is something, because I am BAD at remembering details.)

IT'S WEIRD because there have been INNUMERABLE OTHER INSTANCES where I HAAAAAAAAAAATED a film EVERYONE ELSE HERE LOVED (or loves.)

it feels like BIZARRO WORLD.

i meant to post this before it aired last night- although BLUE DENIM may be available ON DEMAND.

the trailer, narrated by a familiar FACE:

• Thanks 1

11:15 TONIGHT (MONDAY, 9/9)

GARBO

in

SUSAN LENOX: HER FALL AND RISE (1931)

Fascinating Pre-Code I saw for the first time not long ago...

th?id=OIP.s7abUGPmtyGrN1zjFi9ZRwHaKl&pid

• Like 1

oh wow, and tomorrow (9/10) at 6:15-

the (original) 1940 version BRITISH VERSION of GASLIGHT that is A LOT BETTER THAN THE MORE FAMOUS (and rather overplayed) 1944 American remake.

The only thing about it that is not BETTER than the original are the performances of the LEADS- ANTON WALBROOK and DIANA WYNYARD- and I CODIFY that statement with the fact that they are AS GOOD as BERGMAN and BOYER (and possibly better in moments.) BUT THEY HAVE A BETTER SCRIPT TO WORK WITH THAT IS NOT AS HAMPERED BY THE AMERICAN PRODUCTION CODE.

gaslight-3.png

RARELY DO I AGREE WITH MALTIN, BUT HERE IS HIS REVIEW TO BE FILED IN THE DPT. OF STOPPED CLOCKS:

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    
(THREE AND A HALF STARS)

😧 Thorold Dickinson. Anton Walbrook, Diana Wynyard, Frank Pettingell, Cathleen Cordell, Robert Newton, Jimmy Hanley. First version of Patrick Hamilton's play about an insane criminal who drives his wife crazy in order to discover hidden jewels. Electrifying atmosphere, delicious performances, and a succinctly conveyed sense of madness and evil lurking beneath the surface of the ordinary. MGM supposedly tried to destroy the negative of this original when they filmed the remake. Screenplay by A. R. Rawlinson and Bridget Boland. U.S. title: ANGEL STREET.

On 9/8/2019 at 4:37 AM, TomJH said:

By the expression on Alan Ladd's face I think he's ticked you didn't mention him, Bogie.

What about then current Heavyweight Champion Ingmar Johansson? 

22 minutes ago, johnpressman said:

What about then current Heavyweight Champion Ingmar Johansson? 

I forgot he was in All the Young Men, John. Ingemar might be better remembered for what he did with his "toonder and lightning" right hand against Floyd Paterson's glass-like chin.

14 hours ago, TomJH said:

I forgot he was in All the Young Men, John. Ingemar might be better remembered for what he did with his "toonder and lightning" right hand against Floyd Paterson's glass-like chin.

When Patterson was knocked down the first of seven times by Ingo, he looked into the eyes of John Wayne at ringside and said, "That's John Wayne! Why is he sideways?"

Wayne and William Holden were at ringside promoting their film "The Horse Soldiers".

• Like 1

Susan Lenox is a great movie. Garbo's great and you can see her everything in this nice costume. :) 

SusanLenox38.png

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Susan Lenox is a great movie. Garbo's great and you can see her everything in this nice costume. :) 

SusanLenox38.png

YES! THANK YOU! I intended to post a pic of GRETA in her LUCKY-CHARMS inspired get-up, but forgot.

(HALLE BERRY basically stole this for her OSCAR DRESS. )

• Haha 2

LOL! Whatta costume! I was out of recording space or I would've recorded it. Haven't seen it in a long time.  The odd (and ONLY) pairing of Garbo and Clark Gable!

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL! Whatta costume! I was out of recording space or I would've recorded it. Haven't seen it in a long time.  The odd (and ONLY) pairing of Garbo and Clark Gable!

they allegedly HAAAAATED each other, and I swear you can sort of *sense* it onscreen.

(which makes it all the more fascinating!)