Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,492 posts in this topic

LOL. Yeah, they don't strike me as the types that would hit it off!

The only trouble with that costume is that GARBO's wearing it!  :rolleyes: And anyway, I like these outfits better!  ;) 

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL! Whatta costume! I was out of recording space or I would've recorded it. Haven't seen it in a long time.  The odd (and ONLY) pairing of Garbo and Clark Gable!

I haven't seen this film.  Is Garbo wearing like a flesh colored leotard with celestial appliques to give the illusion of nudity or is it see-through with strategically placed celestial appliques?

Speaking of nudity or illusions of nudity... I still have not figured out Ann Sheridan's dress in Nora Prentiss

Yeah, if you look closely by her shoulders, it's some sort of sheer shoulderless garment they are attached to. This film doesnt pop up that often on TCM.

I have not figured out Greta Garbo's appeal.  I have some of her films recorded and I try to watch her, but she's so colorless and humorless. I don't even find her all that pretty, unless it's her on-screen personality that is diluting my opinion of her appearance.  She just seems like so much work.  The only thing I can figure is that she rose to prominence at the right time, and was a different type of personality to contrast with the Mary Pickford/Louise Brooks/Clara Bow-types at the time--which elevated her into a different echelon of stardom than her peers. 

• Like 1

On, the contrary, I think she is beautiful. But most of her films are very dated. Mostly only worth watching for the clothes she wears. She had that foreign mystique that appealed to moviegoers back then and often played tragic figures. This didnt translate well when Hollywood entered the more realistic 40s...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

On, the contrary, I think she is beautiful. But most of her films are very dated. Mostly only worth watching for the clothes she wears. She had that foreign mystique that appealed to moviegoers back then and often played tragic figures. This didnt translate well when Hollywood entered the more realistic 40s...

Maybe I just need to find the "right" Greta Garbo film.  I have seen Ninotchka and I did like that film, but I think I liked it more for Ernst Lubitsch and Melvyn Douglas.  I've also seen Two Faced Woman and thought it was just odd...

Two Faced Woman is ok, but not Greta at her peak. Also she wears some unflattering outfits. (Adrian quit rather than participate in the project).

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I have not figured out Greta Garbo's appeal.

...in many cases, even watching a failed, dated performance of GARBO's can be more interesting than watching a successful one that seems contemporary. There is also the fact that many of her films were either poorly shot (like ANNA CHRISTIE, in which her very good performance is muted by the dull direction) or the fact that they have not been well-preserved and have a "hissing" soundtrack and blurry image that makes her a "hard sell" to new generations.

I know she is polarizing and a bit silly in GRAND HOTEL, but I love her in it. Also SUSAN LENOX, and FLESH AND THE DEVIL is the rare silent that I find pretty compelling...QUEEN CHRISTINA is probably her best performance. THE PAINTED VEIL is also great.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...in many cases, even watching a failed, dated performance of GARBO's can be more interesting than watching a successful one that seems contemporary. There is also the fact that many of her films were either poorly shot (like ANNA CHRISTIE, in which her very good performance is muted by the dull direction) or the fact that they have not been well-preserved and have a "hissing" soundtrack and blurry image that makes her a "hard sell" to new generations.

I know she is polarizing and a bit silly in GRAND HOTEL, but I love her in it. Also SUSAN LENOX, and FLESH AND THE DEVIL is the rare silent that I find pretty compelling...QUEEN CHRISTINA is probably her best performance. THE PAINTED VEIL is also great.

Totally agree with your post Lorna. I would add A Woman of Affairs to your great list. Not only is Garbo great and beautiful in this one, it's one of my favorite silent films. I understand that at the last TCM Film Festival, A Woman of Affairs was scheduled to be shown on the big screen with an orchestra! 

• Like 1

I think I have to ease myself into silent film--they aren't my favorite. Honestly I tend to get bored, and thus distracted.  I find myself agreeing with Kathy Seldon in Singin' in the Rain when she mocks the overly-theatrical performances.  

I have found that I can enjoy the Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd films as the physical comedy is entertaining and easy to follow.

But the dramatic films... 

I haven't managed to sit through one yet without being bored out of my mind.  I do have Pandora's Box and It recorded, I'm trying--but it's hard.

Silent films are a challenge.

People who love silent films would be angry with me for saying that, but it’s true.

ill watch anything with LON CHANEY and the MELIES films are great, and BEN HUR (1926) is excellent...

i just *like* dialogue.

(dodges NORMA DESMOND’s cigarette)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I think I have to ease myself into silent film--they aren't my favorite. Honestly I tend to get bored, and thus distracted.  I find myself agreeing with Kathy Seldon in Singin' in the Rain when she mocks the overly-theatrical performances.  

I have found that I can enjoy the Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd films as the physical comedy is entertaining and easy to follow.

But the dramatic films... 

I haven't managed to sit through one yet without being bored out of my mind.  I do have Pandora's Box and It recorded, I'm trying--but it's hard.

Thanks for trying to watch silent movies, even if they are not your favorites. Seeing them with music helps, because that's the way there were shown, although sometimes there are contemporary scores that just won't shut up! Seeing them with an audience can help, too. You might try The Thief of Bagdad, which is longish but has plenty of action and some nice sets and special effects. Many of the dramatic films do seem dated, both in story and in acting style.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

People who love silent films would be angry with me for saying that, but it’s true.

ill watch anything with LON CHANEY and the MELIES films are great, and BEN HUR (1926) is excellent...

i just *like* dialogue.

Hey, I like dialogue, too. Even when a film has an extended silent sequence--The Asphalt Jungle, Rififi--I'm glad that there's dialogue in the rest of the film. It's sometimes worth the challenge to watch silent films, but there aren't many that are actual favorites of mine. I think it's always important to recognize the difference between what I admire and what I truly enjoy and would be happy to watch RIGHT NOW.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i just *like* dialogue.

The thing I find most interesting about silent films is that they are over one hundred (or almost one-hundred) years old.  It's interesting to see what the 1910s-1920s looked like. 

The poor women are often costumed in the worst clothes, e.g. Buster Keaton's girlfriend in Sherlock Jr. The poor woman is dressed like a giant 4 year old. I think too, the sets and everything are so primitive (which pains me to say, because these are often the same criticisms that modern audiences have against the golden era films that I enjoy), the acting style is so over the top, that it makes it difficult to watch and take seriously. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Totally agree with your post Lorna. I would add A Woman of Affairs to your great list. Not only is Garbo great and beautiful in this one, it's one of my favorite silent films. I understand that at the last TCM Film Festival, A Woman of Affairs was scheduled to be shown on the big screen with an orchestra! 

I also love Woman of Affairs. Too bad they had to censor it. Would've been great to see it on a big screen with an orchestra!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i just *like* dialogue.

I sort of have to be in the mood to watch one. It helps if I like the star (like Garbo) too!. You can't really be busy doing something to watch one or you'll miss something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i just *like* dialogue.

Most silent films on television are a challenge.  They often put me to sleep.  But I do try to see one or two in the cinema with live music each year and that is a totally different experience.  Especially if the accompanist isn't trying to compete with the movie but is truly trying to give it some appreciation.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

I also like her aloof personality in her films ("I want to be alone." "Must you flirt?") and think it contrasts well with the wise cracking leading male characters of 1930s films. 

• Like 1

My favorite Garbo silents are Gosta Berling and the Kiss. Torrent is really a bit meh but I love that ending.

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i just *like* dialogue.

have you tried METROPOLIS, GREED or NOSFERATU ??  :unsure:

• Like 1

Poitier's performance is explosive!  I've seen others in the role and this is still powerful.

And every female cast member deserved recognition.

How on earth did the Academy overlook this?

• Thanks 1

Thursday, September 12

More Bond, .. James Bond.

76646b94448b7b6ea7641c8ad4f86795.jpg

8 p.m.  On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969).  The BFI is showing this as it's the 50th anniversary.  George Lazenby is a pretty good Bond.  It’s a shame he screwed up and self-admittedly was big-headed.  He might have really grown into the part if he had done more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mr6666 said:

have you tried METROPOLIS, GREED or NOSFERATU ??  :unsure:

Oh yeah, I’ve seen NOSFERATU many, many, many times. And if I left it off my list it was by accident. METROPOLIS is great too. I read the book GREED was based on This time last year and absolutely loved it...I tried watching the movie but they had done that thing where they re-inserted lost scenes and showed still photos and I have a hard time When they do that.

It really is more of a personal shortcomings on my part that I can’t make it through silence, I genuinely do have attention deficit disorder. And I tend to be a listener not a watcher.

• Thanks 1