Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,912 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

God, I hated that song. And it was on 90% of the soundtrack. I liked the first Dalton Bond film, but not the second.

Heheheheh, Wings.

(with Linda Macartney “on” keyboard.)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

please don't think I'm HATIN ON TCM for making what was probably a savvy yardsale acquisition of all the BOND FILMS, i have just never been able to muster even the SLIGHTEST interest in them...outside of A VIEW TO A KILL, which I really just like to think of as GRACE JONES: THE MOVIE.

(TRUE STORY- 8 year old me cried in the theater when she dies.)

She is definitely one of two things everybody recalls from that film (the other being the booming, blasting Duran Duran theme song). She steals all of her scenes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm not a big fan of the Bond films either. They seem like the same movie over and over again.  

Speedy, I can scarcely tell them apart. If they all had the same Bond, I know I couldn't. The more recent ones are "darker" and "more important" = zzzzzz. More power to all of you who can distinguish between them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 6:42 PM, mr6666 said:

have you tried METROPOLIS, GREED or NOSFERATU ??  :unsure:

Greed is good but my favorite Erich Von Stroheim role is in the Merry Widow. That is one of his seriously underrated films.

It's also a lot shorter and probably an easier place to start for someone not into silents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kingrat said:

Speedy, I can scarcely tell them apart. If they all had the same Bond, I know I couldn't. The more recent ones are "darker" and "more important" = zzzzzz. More power to all of you who can distinguish between them.

I am tired of everything being rebooted to make it darker.  The world is already depressing. I want some escapism. 

Give me the Adam West Batman any day of the week.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Saturday, September 14

screen-actors-us-poster-art-from-left-cl

8:10 a.m.  Screen Actors (1950).  This short supposedly takes a look at the off-screen lives of stars.  And there are a lot of stars.  Check it out on the imdb.

1979e1bb08362194a584265b429bf40e.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Mutiny Ain’t Nice (1938).  They got the date wrong again, Fedya.

coconuts-the-3.jpg?w=474

3:30 a.m.  The Coconuts (1929).  He lost his shirt!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, kingrat said:

The more recent [BOND FILMS] are "darker" and "more important" = zzzzzz. More power to all of you who can distinguish between them.

"🎶🎶🎶🎶WED EEE SKYFOOOOOOOOOOO, WED E CWUMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WE SHALL STANDALL TIL THE END..........🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

🎶🎶🎶WED. EEEEEEEEEE SKYFFFFFFFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WED E CWUMBO......DAAAALTON TRUMBOOOOO, OH OH OH!!!!!!"

_65466889_adelesinging.jpg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, kingrat said:

The earlier ones were more cartoonish, then gradually they became more political. SPECTRE ceased to be a foe (at least I think so). A lot of the Roger Moore ones run together for me. The good guys vs. bad guys plots have become more grey over time and complicated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"🎶🎶🎶🎶WED EEE SKYFOOOOOOOOOOO, WED E CWUMBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WE SHALL STANDALL TIL THE END..........🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

🎶🎶🎶WED. EEEEEEEEEE SKYFFFFFFFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WED E CWUMBO......DAAAALTON TRUMBOOOOO, OH OH OH!!!!!!"

This describes exactly how I feel about Adele's music.  She is awful. 

Right now, I'm taking a break from listening to the 90210 podcast to listening to an Apple Music New Years Eve Dinner Party playlist.  Dean Martin is on right now.  Lounge music is so much better than the nonsense on the Top-40 charts. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

This describes exactly how I feel about Adele's music.  She is awful. 

Right now, I'm taking a break from listening to the 90210 podcast to listening to an Apple Music New Years Eve Dinner Party playlist.  Dean Martin is on right now.  Lounge music is so much better than the nonsense on the Top-40 charts. 

I love love LOVE DEAN'S versions of ALL I DO (IS DREAM OF YOU) and I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH ME and ON THE STREET WHERE YOU LIVE (from MY FAIR LADY).

• Like 1

FOR THE RECORD, THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOND THEME, IT IS JUST SO DELISH!

(THE MOVIE WAS TERRIBLE THOUGH)

THERE MAY BE AN AD FIRST.

"GoldenEYE, not lace or lea-THUH!!!"

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

FOR THE RECORD, THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOND THEME, IT IS JUST SO DELISH!

(THE MOVIE WAS TERRIBLE THOUGH)

THERE MAY BE AN AD FIRST.

"GoldenEYE, not lace or lea-THUH!!!"

To use an old but good line, "How about that dress Tina Turner is almost wearing?"

I saw the second half of On Her Majesty's Secret Service last night and enjoyed it pretty well. Good editing, a workable story, some exciting action sequences, Lazenby though not much of an actor looks good shirtless, and Diana Rigg simply looks sensational. I know that Diana Rigg has had a big career on stage and television, but you'd think she would have had more leading roles in films. Perhaps OHMSS and The Hospital weren't big enough hits for Hollywood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I love love LOVE DEAN'S versions of ALL I DO (IS DREAM OF YOU) and I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH ME and ON THE STREET WHERE YOU LIVE (from MY FAIR LADY).

I was listening to the My Fair Lady song you mentioned!! 

I love Dean Martin’s “Sway.”

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kingrat said:

I know that Diana Rigg has had a big career on stage and television, but you'd think she would have had more leading roles in films. Perhaps OHMSS and The Hospital weren't big enough hits for Hollywood.

DIANA RIGG is splendid in EVIL UNDER THE SUN, which is otherwise just sort of ok, and THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER- her introductory scene in that movie was MY EVERYTHING GROWING UP!

(Sadly, the only clip available is en Francais, but you can get some sense of how fabulous she is)

(the inkwell part always kills me)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingrat said:

To use an old but good line, "How about that dress Tina Turner is almost wearing?"

I saw the second half of On Her Majesty's Secret Service last night and enjoyed it pretty well. Good editing, a workable story, some exciting action sequences, Lazenby though not much of an actor looks good shirtless, and Diana Rigg simply looks sensational. I know that Diana Rigg has had a big career on stage and television, but you'd think she would have had more leading roles in films. Perhaps OHMSS and The Hospital weren't big enough hits for Hollywood.

If only I had the “willpower” to hold up a dress like that. Tina looks fantastic. 

Sunday, September 15

Peter Fonda tribute

epix-uleesgold_00382-Full-Image_GalleryB

Ulee’s Gold (1997).  I presume this is on at 8 p.m.  The times do not display in England.  Fonda received praise for this performance including an Academy award nomination.  I couldn’t quite see what all the fuss was about other than it being something unusual for the likes of Peter Fonda.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

_65466889_adelesinging.jpg

I didn't realize you were making fun of it until I read the Speedy's rejoinder. Anyway, your verbal  excerpt is brilliant. You might go into music for the hearing impaired. Your phoneticism is advanced (have I just invented a word?) BTW, I have never heard a song by Adele. Ever. And now I know I never will, at least willingly. Not that your scathing rendition made any difference. I can't stand popular music of almost any kind. I'm really terrible that way, I might hopelessly unhip. It's almost embarrassing.

late tonight, my FAV Marx Bros.   :lol:

2:00 AM (ET)
comedy
Duck Soup (1933)

Synopsis: When he's named dictator of Freedonia, a con artist declares war on the neighboring kingdom.
DirLeo McCarey CastGroucho Marx , Harpo Marx , Chico Marx .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Leo McCarey. Groucho, Harpo, Chico, Zeppo Marx, Margaret Dumont, Louis Calhern, Raquel Torres, Edgar Kennedy, Leonid Kinskey, Charles Middleton.

The Marx Brothers' most sustained bit of insanity, a flop when first released, but now considered a satiric masterpiece. In postage-stampsized Freedonia, Prime Minister Rufus T. Firefly (Groucho) declares war on neighboring Sylvania just for the hell of it. Enough gags for five movies, but our favorite is still the mirror sequence. Zeppo's swan song with his brothers.

• Like 4

Monday, September 16

lIHl5VCJucaStt3iHm9ztjMADuY.jpg

8 p.m.  The Wonderful Country (1959).  Robert Mitchum western with a good supporting cast.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, September 16

lIHl5VCJucaStt3iHm9ztjMADuY.jpg

8 p.m.  The Wonderful Country (1959).  Robert Mitchum western with a good supporting cast.

Not my favorite Mitchum movie, but definitively one that I really enjoy.  Mitchum does a great job, but some how it does not come together as well as it should.  Still very much worth watching.

I was perusing the schedule for the next few days and noticed that they are apparently showing In the Heat of the Night late-night on the 17th/18th (at 12AM ET) and the 18th/19th (at 5AM ET). Is that an oddity, or does TCM show movies on consecutive days more often than I've noticed?

On 9/14/2019 at 1:07 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, September 15

Peter Fonda tribute

epix-uleesgold_00382-Full-Image_GalleryB

Ulee’s Gold (1997).  I presume this is on at 8 p.m.  The times do not display in England.  Fonda received praise for this performance including an Academy award nomination.  I couldn’t quite see what all the fuss was about other than it being something unusual for the likes of Peter Fonda.

Fonda commented on the character he portrayed:

Ulee is the best character I've ever read. It's the kind of role you pay money to do — a complex character full of possibilities and the script was full of moments that were very deep, very pure and very simple. I also found a lot of Ulee in my father. He kept a couple of hives and I can see him hop-footing it across the lawn, thinking he had a bee up his pant leg. As I began to develop Ulee, I used a lot of the way my father was to us as kids, the way he was to us as a family and the way he was to himself.[6]

....... "The plot poses ample opportunities for cliches, all of which Nunez deftly avoids. The characters are wonderfully drawn and bring out the best in the actors —the taciturn Fonda often seems to be channeling his father, ......

Variety's Todd McCarthy described the film as a "gem of rare emotional depth and integrity".[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulee's_Gold

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I was perusing the schedule for the next few days and noticed that they are apparently showing In the Heat of the Night late-night on the 17th/18th (at 12AM ET) and the 18th/19th (at 5AM ET). Is that an oddity, or does TCM show movies on consecutive days more often than I've noticed?

They do that sometimes. I remember them showing the Great Dictator twice in a day.

Tuesday, September 17

“As long as I got me ‘barrow”

To-Sir-With-Love-274.jpg

8 p.m.  To Sir, With Love (1967).  Sidney with Judy Geeson and Lulu!