Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,603 posts in this topic

I am going to be away from the computer for a spell while travelling so I will bore you with some future picks now.

Wednesday, September 18/19

d4c60924d403be2a00a5ef749666f2b9.jpg

12:45 a.m.  Tom Jones (1963).  With Albert Finney and a bevy of English girls.

Thursday, September 19

More Bond, … James Bond.

The-Spy-Who-Loved-Me-2.jpg

8 p.m.  The Spy Who Loved Me (1977).  This is my favourite of the Roger Moore Bonds.

• Sad 1

Friday, September 20/21

eating_raoul_1280.jpg

2:15 a.m.  Eating Raoul (1982).  I saw this when it came out and recall it having a few laughs.

• Thanks 1

Saturday, September 21

8.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: Goonland (1938).  Now we’re talking.

hqdefault.jpg

10:30 p.m.  Hotel Monterey (1973).  by Chantal Akerman.  Might be tough slog?

• Thanks 1

Sunday, September 22/23

stanley-kubrick-and-sue-lyon-at-the-shoo

3:15 p.m.  Lolita (1962) “… light of my life”

Monday, September 23

a-slight-case-of-larceny-movie-poster-19

5 p.m.  A Slight Case of Larceny (1963).  This sounds awfully familiar.  With Mickey Rooney and Eddie Bracken.  Looking forward to this one!

Tuesday, September 24

Too-Many-Crooks-2.jpg

11:30 a.m.  Too Many Crooks (1959).  Sounds very silly but has a cast of British regulars: Terry-Thomas, George Cole and Sid James.

MV5BMTQ3NzAzMTEwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTY1

3:45 a.m.  A Warm December (1972).  Poitier is back in London.  Replaced in Canada with Yes, Giorgio (1982).  I’ve heard that Pavarotti was a big fan of Sidney Poitier!

• Haha 1

Wednesday, September 25

raging_bull.jpg

12:30 a.m.  Raging Bull (1980).  My dream alternate cast has Richard Simmons as Jake LaMotta, Maurice Gosfield (Doberman of Sgt. Bilko) as Joey LaMotta and Madonna as Vickie LaMotta

Thursday, September 26

They are breaking the bank with the Bond films.  I can’t say any of these are among my favourites.

bond-dario.jpg?w=900

10:30 p.m.  License to Kill (1989).  With Timothy Dalton who is a pretty good actor, but maybe not Bond.

• Thanks 1

Friday, September 27/28

belladonna-of-sadness-film-poster-1973.j

2 a.m.  Belladonna of Sadness (1973).  With my favourite Japanese actor, Tatsuya Nakadai. Still going in his 80’s.

• Thanks 1

Saturday, September 28

maxresdefault.jpg

10 a.m.  Popeye: A Date to Skate (1938). 

3134772fb5a133ce413aa5645037fbf7.jpg

2:15 pm.  Spartacus Part 2 followed by Spartacus Part 1 (1960).  As described in the original schedule.

Sunday, September 29

MV5BOGExNDAyZGYtMWRhZS00ZDMxLWI5OTYtY2Yw

5:45 p.m.  Running on Empty (1988).  Not too bad as I recall.  Christine Lahti is very good as usual.  Replaced in Canada with The Hill (1965).

Monday, September 30

Deborah Kerr’s birthday.

471.png

6:15 a.m.  I See a Dark Stranger (1946).  Kerr is very funny in this Frank Launder film.

• Thanks 1

I thought this thread was Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow on TCM.  These latest posts are for a week away, if not more.

He said he was going to be gone for awhile......

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I thought this thread was Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow on TCM.  These latest posts are for a week away, if not more.

Come on, Cid. You really have to start something with him here too? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

He said he was going to be gone for awhile......

Understand that, but still not relevant.  He could have done them all in one post with titles and dates and no pictures.  As others have done on similar occasions.

19 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Understand that, but still not relevant.  He could have done them all in one post with titles and dates and no pictures.  As others have done on similar occasions.

This isn't relevant either,   but I hope you're aware that you're coming off as a grumpy old man.

(also I never assumed "tomorrow" was to be taken so literally,,,   instead I viewed it as  'in the near future' programming). 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9/17 at 6:00 am- FIVE STAR FINAL with EDWARD G ROBINSON from 1931.

I really, really love this movie; it might even be one of my 10 favorites of the 1930s...

SIN-SATIONAL!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Too Many Crooks (1959).  Sounds very silly but has a cast of British regulars: Terry-Thomas, George Cole and Sid James.

A really funny movie.  I've got it on a DVD together with another really good Terry-Thomas movie, Make Mine Mink, which is unfortunately not on the TCM schedule.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

8 p.m.  To Sir, With Love (1967).  Sidney with Judy Geeson and Lulu!

6 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Tonight! A double feature of our king Paul Bartel featuring the premiere of EATING RAOUL (1982) at 2:15 am east / 11:15 pm west

followed by PRIVATE PARTS (1972) at 3:45 am!

I keep seeing Private Parts in the schedule and keep being disappointed that it isn't the Howard Stern film.

You have no idea how worried I was about googling "Howard Stern Private Parts" on my phone, which right now is on the company wifi.  I was trying to confirm that I was right about the movie title. However, I did not want to know that much about Stern. 

Late night (3:45 AM ET) tonight on TCM Imports is Manila in the Claws of Light (1975), a very good film from the Philippines that I watched recently. The film looks low budget by Hollywood standards, but the direction by Lino Brocka is excellent, the performances seem genuine. The plot follows young man Julio (Bembol Roco), a country kid who travels to big-city Manila in search of his girlfriend Ligaya (Hilda Koronel). She went to Manila for work, but hasn't been heard from in months. Julio encounters the harsh truth of Filipino city life, with limited work opportunity, entrenched corruption, and increasing moral degradation. The story is allegorical, with Julio standing in for modern Filipino citizenry trying to save their nation (embodied by Ligaya) from destruction by outside forces and internal weakness. I liked the film a lot, and would rank it among the best international films of its year.

TCM Imports is also showing Days of Being Wild (1990), a Hong Kong film from director Wong Kar-wai. I haven't seen it, but it is generally highly regarded, and I've liked most of the other films from the same director that I've seen. It's on at 2:00 AM ET

Also, tonight's Silent Sunday offering (at 12:15 AM ET), The Racket (1928), is worth checking out for fans of early crime pictures, featuring a good performance from Louis Wolheim.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Also, tonight's Silent Sunday offering (at 12:15 AM ET), The Racket (1928), is worth checking out for fans of early crime pictures, featuring a good performance from Louis Wolheim.

Yep, I agree, Lawrence, Wolheim is quite wonderful as the gangster in this film. My favourite scene shows Wolheim's "coolness" when he plans to shoot a rival hood in a restaurant and get away with it, even though he knows cops are in the same room.

117.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

TCM Imports is also showing Days of Being Wild (1990), a Hong Kong film from director Wong Kar-wai. I haven't seen it, but it is generally highly regarded, and I've liked most of the other films from the same director that I've seen. It's on at 2:00 AM ET

Lawrence, I think Days of Being Wild is worth seeing, though it suffers from not having a prepared script when they began filming. One of the main characters more or less disappears, and the final act of the film doesn't seem developed enough. The actors are all good, and the director certainly has talent, if not focus.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Lawrence, I think Days of Being Wild is worth seeing, though it suffers from not having a prepared script when they began filming. One of the main characters more or less disappears, and the final act of the film doesn't seem developed enough. The actors are all good, and the director certainly has talent, if not focus.

Characters who inexplicably disappear from movies without a word of explanation:

BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES: Rob Stevenson (played by Michael Hall), the son who was given a samurai sword by his father. He later vanishes, not even showing up at the wedding at the end. Mom and Pop never seem to notice.

Michael+Hall+in+The+Best+Years+Of+Our+Li

"Gee, Dad, couldn't you stay off the sauce long enough to notice that I'm missing?"

NEVER SAY GOODBYE (1946): Hattie McDaniel as a maid (what else?). Her character disappears about an hour into the film, without a word of explanation. Later a white maid, never seen before, pops up in the household, also without a word of explanation.

MV5BOTUyMTcxMTktZDcwNi00MGFlLTg2MzUtOWM5

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 2:31 AM, Bogie56 said:

Sunday, September 22/23

stanley-kubrick-and-sue-lyon-at-the-shoo

3:15 p.m.  Lolita (1962) “… light of my life”

This has to be the most underrated Kubrick film. Everyone ranks 2001 or Barry Lyndon as his best but this one is definitely up there.

6 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

This has to be the most underrated Kubrick film. Everyone ranks 2001 or Barry Lyndon as his best but this one is definitely up there.

I like Lolita a lot, although I think it's one of Kubrick's most conventional films. Yeah, 2001: A Space Odyssey is usually ranked at the top, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone list Barry Lyndon as his best. Paths of GloryDr. Strangelove, and even A Clockwork Orange I've seen people list as their favorites/"the best".