Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,912 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2019 at 9:33 PM, speedracer5 said:

That gif is amazing. I'm trying to figure out in what context I can text this to my husband as part of a conversation.

Just send it with the message “I SEE YOU.”

I guarantee you, if he’s been up to anything he shouldn’t- he will stop it right then and there.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Wednesday, October 2

MV5BNGQxZWI1ODUtNGNjYS00MTRhLWJhYzctNDE2

6:30 p.m.  One Way Passage (1932)  With William Powell and Kay Francis.

Thanks for reminding me. And Jewel Robbery is on after it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Just send it with the message “I SEE YOU.”

I guarantee you, if he’s been up to anything he shouldn’t- he will stop it right then and there.

Man. I should have sent this to him yesterday when he texted me saying that a woman was walking through downtown Portland (where he works) wearing a completely see-through shirt. She was apparently "modeling." What? I have no idea? Modeling old architecture in downtown Portland?  I will find an opportunity to text this to him today.

HIM: I am getting off work at 4.

ME: ::I SEE YOU GIF::

• Like 1

Thursday, October 3

The-First-Texan-1956-3.jpg

6:30 p.m.  The First Texan (1956).  Sam Houston biopic with Joel McCrea.  I haven’t seen this one.

Friday, October 4

Godzilla fest!

mothra_001.jpg

2:15 a.m.  Mothra (1962).  The very first film I remember seeing at a drive-in, though I probably fell asleep in the back set of my parents’ car.

• Like 3

Saturday, October 5

cops-is-always-right-c2a9-max-fleischer.

10 a.m.  Popeye: Cops Is Always Right (1938).

c571a788c58c0beee52ca0a9800830c6.jpg

4 a.m.  Monkey Business (1931).  “If a Nightingale could sing like you …”

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Friday, October 4

Godzilla fest!

2:15 a.m.  Mothra (1962).  The very first film I remember seeing at a drive-in, though I probably fell asleep in the back set of my parents’ car.

In ENGLAND or the US?

TONIGHT:

(I don't recall this airing on TCM before, but it likely has)

1:00 AM
C - 93 m
TV-MA

aac623d4a8bf2a9926e906eba846d937.jpgSynopsis: A dancing school is haunted by mysterious murders.
DirDario Argento

WITH JESSICA HARPER and JOAN BENNETT.

PS- YOU AIN'T NEVER GONNA LOOK AT BARBED WIRE THE SAME WAY AFTER SEEING THIS FILM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

In ENGLAND or the US?

Canada actually.   Maybe drive-ins were just a North American thing?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

TONIGHT:

C - 93 m
TV-MA

aac623d4a8bf2a9926e906eba846d937.jpgSynopsis: A dancing school is haunted by mysterious murders.
DirDario Argento

PS- YOU AIN'T NEVER GONNA LOOK AT BARBED WIRE THE SAME WAY AFTER SEEING THIS FILM.

Yes, it's been on before. On overnights. I think it was Joan's last movie. She later turned down Cocoon and regretted it.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

Canada actually.   Maybe drive-ins were just a North American thing?

I would think that British weather would be a factor in their lack of popularity. That and the fact that British people don't make out.

(KIDDING! KIDDING!)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

They don't have submarine races in Canada?

What country does?  I don't think we can afford a submarine, let alone two submarines.

But at Christmas we have the exchanging of the socks.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

TONIGHT:

C - 93 m
TV-MA

DirDario Argento

My favorite scene-

• Thanks 1

not sure if premieres, but don't recall seeing before....... :unsure:

tonight for           THE ESSENTIALS: VIETNAM STORIES ....

8:00 PM
B/W - 130 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  award-winning film jumps back and forth through time to create an impression of life for a black Vietnam veteran (John Anderson) suffering from PTSD.

DirHaile Gerima CastJohn Anderson I , Barry Wiggins ,

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2196222/Ashes-and-Embers/articles.html

10:30 PM
B/W - 89 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Summertree (1971)

Synopsis:  antiwar story was about a young man who drops out of college and struggles to find his way in life. When his draft number is called, he plans to bolt to Canada, but winds up in Vietnam after all, ....

DirAnthony Newley CastMichael Douglas , Jack Warden , Brenda Vaccaro .

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/27544/Summertree/articles.html

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2019 at 2:01 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I would think that British weather would be a factor in their lack of popularity. That and the fact that British people don't make out.

(KIDDING! KIDDING!)

Actually drive-ins began as a family oriented enterprise.  You didn't have to worry about a baby sitter or buying tickets for adults and children.  That's why so many had playgrounds and other children oriented activities.

Of course, TV had an effect on them becoming passion pits.

• Haha 2

Sunday, October 6/7

920x920.jpg

4 a.m.  In the Mood For Love (1996).  Stylish Won Kar Wai film.  Possibly a premiere?

1 minute ago, Bogie56 said:

4 a.m.  In the Mood For Love (1996).  Stylish Won Kar Wai film.  Possibly a premiere?

It aired on Imports a few years ago.  Maggie Cheung is beyond beautiful in it, too!

On 10/4/2019 at 7:10 AM, Bogie56 said:

What country does?  I don't think we can afford a submarine, let alone two submarines.

But at Christmas we have the exchanging of the socks.

"Submarine Races" often took place in the back seat of a classic car. Wolfman Jack dedicates a song for everyone at the submarine races in American Graffiti.

18 hours ago, TheCid said:

Actually drive-ins began as a family oriented enterprise.  You didn't have to worry about a baby sitter or buying tickets for adults and children.  That's why so many had playgrounds and other children oriented activities.

Of course, TV had an effect on them becoming passion pits.

Unfortunately the last drive-in left my hometown back in the early 90s. I think I was 8 when I last saw a movie at the drive-in.  8 is probably too young to be partaking in the "passion pit."

There is a drive-in left near the Portland area that still operates... I feel like now I'm probably too old to be partaking in the passion pit. 

Alas, I'll have to live vicariously through the teens on tv/movies and their various make out points.

30 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Unfortunately the last drive-in left my hometown back in the early 90s. I think I was 8 when I last saw a movie at the drive-in.  8 is probably too young to be partaking in the "passion pit."

There is a drive-in left near the Portland area that still operates... I feel like now I'm probably too old to be partaking in the passion pit. 

Alas, I'll have to live vicariously through the teens on tv/movies and their various make out points.

Last I heard there was one drive-in left in S.C.  I don't think they are passion pits anymore, but are rather trying to appeal to nostalgia and families again.

• Like 1

Monday, October 7

scarface-810x600.jpg

8 p.m.  Scarface: The Shame of the Nation (1932).   Terrific Howard Hawks gangster film with Paul Muni.  Excellent Lee Garmes photography.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, October 7

scarface-810x600.jpg

8 p.m.  Scarface: The Shame of the Nation (1932).   Terrific Howard Hawks gangster film with Paul Muni.  Excellent Lee Garmes photography.

truly, a soo-poib film, and the rare CLASSIC MOVIE that I would 100% risk showing to a modern audience. ANN DVORAK is also well worth mentioning.

and around 11:00 is THE VALIANT- which was (I think?) Muni's debut for which he earned a BEST ACTOR nomination. it's from 1929, which is a CURIOUS YEAR in FILM HISTORY.

(Lots of talking slowly beside potted plants and people moving en masse below a boom mic)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wednesday, October 9 at 1:15am (EST)

Devil in a Blue Dress (1995)

Devil-Blue-Dress-1995.jpg

It's L.A. 1948 and Easy Rawlins is unemployed and needing money. A hood hires Easy to find a woman. Sounds easy enough. You know better than that.

Terrific atmosphere in a stylish neo noir told from a black perspective. Denzel Washington is sexy, charming and smooth as Easy but Don Cheadle, as "Mouse," Easy's psychotic gun crazy street friend, steals every scene he's in. Not to be missed by fans of noir or Washington.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1