Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

8,842 posts in this topic

Sunday, October 13/14

Double Antonioni

bea5d85f4b052645f9e8b694a1684733.jpg

2 a.m.  L’Eclisse (1962).

 

lavventura-vitti-foreground-actor-backgr

4:15 a.m.  L’Avventura (1960).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday, October 14

The_Strange_Love_of_Molly_Louvain_1932.j

3:15 a.m.  The Strange Love of Molly Louvain (1932).   With Ann Dvorak and Lee Tracy.  This is the first I had heard of this one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not TCM, but FXM finally went back into the vaults to bring out some stuff the channel hasn't run in years.

It's starting tomorrow at 1:00 PM with The Boston Strangler, which will be on again at 11:30 AM Tuesday.  Later in the week there's the return of The Robe, Daddy Long Legs, and The Best of Everything.  I don't have the schedule page open, but I believe Monday, October 21 brings the return of The St. Valentine's Day Massacre to FXM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:
TCM
 
·
20h
 
Join tomorrow night for F.W Murnau's FAUST ('26)--with an unlimited budget from the studio, it was the most expensive German film made during its time. #SilentSundayNights

Emile Jennings make a very fetching Mephistopheles.

Did I spell his name right? Whatever, he became a Nazi later on, so I don’t really feel guilty if I didn’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, October 14

The_Strange_Love_of_Molly_Louvain_1932.j

3:15 a.m.  The Strange Love of Molly Louvain (1932).   With Ann Dvorak and Lee Tracy.  This is the first I had heard of this one.

Is this the one where Lee Tracy talks a mile a minute?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday, October 15

annie22.png?itok=pQb7iMsH

9:45 p.m.  Annie (1982).  I don’t know whether it is a hit or a miss.  There may be good reason for my not having seen this one yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday, October 16

mm1.jpg

7:15 a.m.  Midnight Mary (1933).  Pre code with Loretta Young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, October 15

annie22.png?itok=pQb7iMsH

9:45 p.m.  Annie (1982).  I don’t know whether it is a hit or a miss.  There may be good reason for my not having seen this one yet.

A very good reason. If that portrait of George Washington in the background could be looking the other way, he would.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Although Tim Curry, Carol Burnett, and Bernadette Peters try nobly)

They are the only redeeming parts of Annie.

I hate the Annie play so much, Annie is so freaking annoying. I like Miss Hannigan because she's mean to Annie.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was about four when ANNIE came out and then, of course, came of age with it on HBO and VHS.

MISS HANNIGAN was a MAJOR INFLUENCE on me as a child who did not much care for the company of other children...

ps- I get the bathtub gin thing now THAT I AM OLDER, but before I knew what Prohibition was, I TOTALLY ASSUMED SHE WAS JUST A FREAK WHO WAS DRINKING HER OWN BATHWATER.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, October 15

annie22.png?itok=pQb7iMsH

9:45 p.m.  Annie (1982).  I don’t know whether it is a hit or a miss.  There may be good reason for my not having seen this one yet.

Instead of Annie...

I would encourage everyone to watch I Love Lucy as October 15 is the 68th anniversary of the debut of I Love Lucy.

If you really want to watch a movie...

Any of the William Powell/Myrna Loy movies scheduled are better than Annie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

instead of ANNIE, you should watch SERIAL MOM, where KATHLEEN TURNER bludgeons a woman to death while watching the opening of ANNIE.

(She didn't rewind)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

I was about four when ANNIE came out and then, of course, came of age with it on HBO and VHS.

MISS HANNIGAN was a MAJOR INFLUENCE on me as a child who did not much care for the company of other children...

ps- I get the bathtub gin thing now, but before I knew what Prohibition was, I TOTALLY ASSUMED SHE WAS DRINK A FREAK WHO WAS DRINKING HER OWN BATHWATER.

"MISS HANNIGAN was a MAJOR INFLUENCE on me as a child who did not much care for the company of other children..."

You and I would have gotten along very well as children.  We could both sit silently, ignoring each other.

"ps- I get the bathtub gin thing now, but before I knew what Prohibition was, I TOTALLY ASSUMED SHE WAS DRINK A FREAK WHO WAS DRINKING HER OWN BATHWATER."

You would have to drink your own bathwater to put up with Annie and her "hard knock life."

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tonight, some good Paul Muni flicks......

8:00 PM

Good Earth, The ( 1937)

 

Epic adaptation of the Pearl Buck classic about Chinese farmers battling the elements.

Dir Sidney Franklin Cast Paul Muni , Luise Rainer , Walter Connolly .

BW- 138 mins, CC,

10:30 PM

Bordertown ( 1935)

 

An ambitious Mexican-American gets mixed up with his boss's neurotic wife.

Dir Archie Mayo Cast Paul Muni , Bette Davis , Margaret Lindsay .

BW- 91 mins, CC,

 

2:15 AM

Black Fury ( 1935)

 

A coal worker gets mixed up in the mob's efforts to infiltrate his union.

Dir Michael Curtiz Cast Paul Muni , Karen Morley , William Gargan .

BW- 94 mins, CC,

2:00 AM

Dr. Socrates ( 1935)

 

A small-town doctor gets mixed up with gangsters.

Dir William Dieterle Cast Paul Muni , Ann Dvorak , Barton MacLane .

BW- 70 mins, CC,

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday, October 17

1938-You-Cant-Take-It-With-You-07.jpg

noon.  You Can’t Take It With You (1938).  Not bad but hard to believe today that it won the Best Picture Oscar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, October 17

1938-You-Cant-Take-It-With-You-07.jpg

noon.  You Can’t Take It With You (1938).  Not bad but hard to believe today that it won the Best Picture Oscar.

Yes, that was a major Oscar Fail.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 6:44 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Although Tim Curry, Carol Burnett, and Bernadette Peters try nobly)

Yes, Carol Burnett's rendition of "Little Girls" as Miss Hannigan in ANNIE is one of the greatest musical theater performances captured on film.  I'm always amazed at how she can sing so big and yet so nuanced.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday, October 18

MV5BYzU1MGViZWEtNjEyYy00YWE4LTg2NzAtYjJm

4:30 p.m.  Keep 'Em Rolling (1934).  Sounds corny but it has Walter Huston in it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 5:05 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, October 17

1938-You-Cant-Take-It-With-You-07.jpg

noon.  You Can’t Take It With You (1938).  Not bad but hard to believe today that it won the Best Picture Oscar.

Well, outside of The Adventures of Robin Hood, Angels With Dirty Faces, Pygmalion, The Dawn Patrol, The Citadel, Jezebel, Marie Antoinette, Test Pilot, Bringing Up Baby, Holiday, Four Daughters, and The Lady Vanishes, it probably was the best film of the year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Well, outside of The Adventures of Robin Hood, Angels With Dirty Faces, Pygmalion, The Dawn Patrol, The Citadel, Jezebel, Marie Antoinette, Test Pilot, Bringing Up Baby, Holiday, Four Daughters, and The Lady Vanishes, it probably was the best film of the year.

I like You Can't Take It With You more than The CitadelMarie AntoinetteTest Pilot, and Holiday, but your point remains valid. I would add another nominee from that year, Grand Illusion, to the list of those better than the winner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I like You Can't Take It With You more than The CitadelMarie AntoinetteTest Pilot, and Holiday, but your point remains valid. I would add another nominee from that year, Grand Illusion, to the list of those better than the winner.

I was being a bit facetious with that list of titles but only a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the 1938 best picture Oscar, for me the real battle is between “The Adventures of Robin Hood,” and the “The Lady Vanishes,” with the edge going to ‘Robin Hood,’ because of my love for Errol.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

For the 1938 best picture Oscar, for me the real battle is between “The Adventures of Robin Hood,” and the “The Lady Vanishes,” with the edge going to ‘Robin Hood,’ because of my love for Errol.  

Yeah, for me The Adventures of Robin Hood is the best movie of 1938.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us