Double Antonioni

bea5d85f4b052645f9e8b694a1684733.jpg

2 a.m.  L’Eclisse (1962).

lavventura-vitti-foreground-actor-backgr

4:15 a.m.  L’Avventura (1960).

• Like 1

Monday, October 14

The_Strange_Love_of_Molly_Louvain_1932.j

3:15 a.m.  The Strange Love of Molly Louvain (1932).   With Ann Dvorak and Lee Tracy.  This is the first I had heard of this one.

• Like 1

It's not TCM, but FXM finally went back into the vaults to bring out some stuff the channel hasn't run in years.

It's starting tomorrow at 1:00 PM with The Boston Strangler, which will be on again at 11:30 AM Tuesday.  Later in the week there's the return of The Robe, Daddy Long Legs, and The Best of Everything.  I don't have the schedule page open, but I believe Monday, October 21 brings the return of The St. Valentine's Day Massacre to FXM.

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:
TCM

·
20h

Join tomorrow night for F.W Murnau's FAUST ('26)--with an unlimited budget from the studio, it was the most expensive German film made during its time. #SilentSundayNights

Emile Jennings make a very fetching Mephistopheles.

Did I spell his name right? Whatever, he became a Nazi later on, so I don’t really feel guilty if I didn’t.

19 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Monday, October 14

The_Strange_Love_of_Molly_Louvain_1932.j

3:15 a.m.  The Strange Love of Molly Louvain (1932).   With Ann Dvorak and Lee Tracy.  This is the first I had heard of this one.

Is this the one where Lee Tracy talks a mile a minute?

• Haha 2

Tuesday, October 15

annie22.png?itok=pQb7iMsH

9:45 p.m.  Annie (1982).  I don’t know whether it is a hit or a miss.  There may be good reason for my not having seen this one yet.

Wednesday, October 16

mm1.jpg

7:15 a.m.  Midnight Mary (1933).  Pre code with Loretta Young.

7 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, October 15

9:45 p.m.  Annie (1982).  I don’t know whether it is a hit or a miss.  There may be good reason for my not having seen this one yet.

A very good reason. If that portrait of George Washington in the background could be looking the other way, he would.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Although Tim Curry, Carol Burnett, and Bernadette Peters try nobly)

They are the only redeeming parts of Annie.

I hate the Annie play so much, Annie is so freaking annoying. I like Miss Hannigan because she's mean to Annie.

• Thanks 1

I was about four when ANNIE came out and then, of course, came of age with it on HBO and VHS.

MISS HANNIGAN was a MAJOR INFLUENCE on me as a child who did not much care for the company of other children...

ps- I get the bathtub gin thing now THAT I AM OLDER, but before I knew what Prohibition was, I TOTALLY ASSUMED SHE WAS JUST A FREAK WHO WAS DRINKING HER OWN BATHWATER.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Tuesday, October 15

Instead of Annie...

I would encourage everyone to watch I Love Lucy as October 15 is the 68th anniversary of the debut of I Love Lucy.

If you really want to watch a movie...

Any of the William Powell/Myrna Loy movies scheduled are better than Annie

instead of ANNIE, you should watch SERIAL MOM, where KATHLEEN TURNER bludgeons a woman to death while watching the opening of ANNIE.

(She didn't rewind)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

I was about four when ANNIE came out and then, of course, came of age with it on HBO and VHS.

MISS HANNIGAN was a MAJOR INFLUENCE on me as a child who did not much care for the company of other children...

ps- I get the bathtub gin thing now, but before I knew what Prohibition was, I TOTALLY ASSUMED SHE WAS DRINK A FREAK WHO WAS DRINKING HER OWN BATHWATER.

"MISS HANNIGAN was a MAJOR INFLUENCE on me as a child who did not much care for the company of other children..."

You and I would have gotten along very well as children.  We could both sit silently, ignoring each other.

"ps- I get the bathtub gin thing now, but before I knew what Prohibition was, I TOTALLY ASSUMED SHE WAS DRINK A FREAK WHO WAS DRINKING HER OWN BATHWATER."

You would have to drink your own bathwater to put up with Annie and her "hard knock life."

• Thanks 1

tonight, some good Paul Muni flicks......

8:00 PM

Good Earth, The ( 1937)

Epic adaptation of the Pearl Buck classic about Chinese farmers battling the elements.

Dir Sidney Franklin Cast Paul Muni , Luise Rainer , Walter Connolly .

BW- 138 mins, CC,

10:30 PM

Bordertown ( 1935)

An ambitious Mexican-American gets mixed up with his boss's neurotic wife.

Dir Archie Mayo Cast Paul Muni , Bette Davis , Margaret Lindsay .

BW- 91 mins, CC,

2:15 AM

Black Fury ( 1935)

A coal worker gets mixed up in the mob's efforts to infiltrate his union.

Dir Michael Curtiz Cast Paul Muni , Karen Morley , William Gargan .

BW- 94 mins, CC,

2:00 AM

Dr. Socrates ( 1935)

A small-town doctor gets mixed up with gangsters.

Dir William Dieterle Cast Paul Muni , Ann Dvorak , Barton MacLane .

BW- 70 mins, CC,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thursday, October 17

1938-You-Cant-Take-It-With-You-07.jpg

noon.  You Can’t Take It With You (1938).  Not bad but hard to believe today that it won the Best Picture Oscar.

18 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, October 17

noon.  You Can’t Take It With You (1938).  Not bad but hard to believe today that it won the Best Picture Oscar.

Yes, that was a major Oscar Fail.

On 10/14/2019 at 6:44 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

(Although Tim Curry, Carol Burnett, and Bernadette Peters try nobly)

Yes, Carol Burnett's rendition of "Little Girls" as Miss Hannigan in ANNIE is one of the greatest musical theater performances captured on film.  I'm always amazed at how she can sing so big and yet so nuanced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friday, October 18

MV5BYzU1MGViZWEtNjEyYy00YWE4LTg2NzAtYjJm

4:30 p.m.  Keep 'Em Rolling (1934).  Sounds corny but it has Walter Huston in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2019 at 5:05 AM, Bogie56 said:

Thursday, October 17

Well, outside of The Adventures of Robin Hood, Angels With Dirty Faces, Pygmalion, The Dawn Patrol, The Citadel, Jezebel, Marie Antoinette, Test Pilot, Bringing Up Baby, Holiday, Four Daughters, and The Lady Vanishes, it probably was the best film of the year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Well, outside of The Adventures of Robin Hood, Angels With Dirty Faces, Pygmalion, The Dawn Patrol, The Citadel, Jezebel, Marie Antoinette, Test Pilot, Bringing Up Baby, Holiday, Four Daughters, and The Lady Vanishes, it probably was the best film of the year.

I like You Can't Take It With You more than The CitadelMarie AntoinetteTest Pilot, and Holiday, but your point remains valid. I would add another nominee from that year, Grand Illusion, to the list of those better than the winner.

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

I like You Can't Take It With You more than The CitadelMarie AntoinetteTest Pilot, and Holiday, but your point remains valid. I would add another nominee from that year, Grand Illusion, to the list of those better than the winner.

I was being a bit facetious with that list of titles but only a little bit.

For the 1938 best picture Oscar, for me the real battle is between “The Adventures of Robin Hood,” and the “The Lady Vanishes,” with the edge going to ‘Robin Hood,’ because of my love for Errol.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

For the 1938 best picture Oscar, for me the real battle is between “The Adventures of Robin Hood,” and the “The Lady Vanishes,” with the edge going to ‘Robin Hood,’ because of my love for Errol.  

Yeah, for me The Adventures of Robin Hood is the best movie of 1938.

• Like 3