Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,083 posts in this topic

Probably most of the films about Vietnam Nam are very raw and graphic not that family friendly for daytime showings. Maybe things like Platoon or Apocalypse Now are expensive. Could be many reasons that have nothing to do with the outcome of the war.

Has COMING HOME ever aired on TCM?

Maybe Vietnam movies - essentially, movies about a wrong war that the U.S. lost, may not be what TCM considers Memorial Day-friendly?

Sorry dark, but I think you're a little confused here about that.

Ya see, we got "Peace with honor"...or "honour" as you Canucks might say)

Well, at least according to THIS guy anyway...

Nixon%20thumbs%20up.jpg

• Like 1

Steel Helmet would be my pick of the day.  It's the best movie about the Korean War and directed by Sam Fuller.  Very gritty and compelling.  Silent Sunday has The Big Parade about WW1 with the great John Gilbert and directed by King Vidor.  The fighting scenes are among the best ever.  I am very disappointed, and have expressed such on another board a while ago, that the only Viet Nam movie is The Green Berets.  Really, TCM, you couldn't find something better?  I guess some of the other offerings make up for this oversight but still...

• Like 2

Sorry dark, but I think you're a little confused here about that.

Ya see, we got "Peace with honor"...or "honour" as you Canucks might say)

Well, at least according to THIS guy anyway...

Nixon%20thumbs%20up.jpg

Well, that settles my hash. Tricky Dick would never tell a lie.

• Like 2

Has COMING HOME ever aired on TCM?

I want to say it has, maybe in the last year or so, but I don't really know.

Monday, May 25

Geesh, is it time to resurrect that thread that bemoaned the fact that TCM trots out the same old same old on Memorial Day and doesn’t dig very deep?

As Mr6666 pointed out besides The Green Berets, where are the Viet Nam pictures?  How about some documentaries like Hearts and Minds?

Or even Coming Home as Holden suggested?  Great Bruce Dern performance in that one.

These films are all very good, don’t get me wrong.  But a lot of us on the Boards have probably seen most of them already, if not have copies.

post-35686-0-75124700-1432494504_thumb.png

post-35686-0-75124700-1432494504_thumb.png

• Like 1

Well at least you've got MASH on tonight.  That is less of a wartime flag waver and shows a bit more of the ugly side of war.

But then again, it did have Hotlips in it.

MASH was supposed to be set in Vietnam. But the producers needed the help of the U.S. military in the production and the military would not give it unless the script was changed to be about the Korean war.

MASH was supposed to be set in Vietnam. But the producers needed the help of the U.S. military in the production and the military would not give it unless the script was changed to be about the Korean war.

So, in other words, kind'a the opposite of how many people still feel about those "So other than that Mrs. Lincoln/Mrs. Kennedy, how did you like the play/Dallas?" jokes, EH?!

(...for the U.S. Army, the Korean War wasn't still "too soon"!) ;)

Well, at least they are not following The Green Berets with Eastwood's Heartbreak Ridge.  Now there was a campaign, I tell you.

Well, at least they are not following The Green Berets with Eastwood's Heartbreak Ridge.  Now there was a campaign, I tell you.

Hey - Grenada - now that was one tough foe, for sure. Thank heavens for U.S. military might.

Hey - Grenada - now that was one tough foe, for sure. Thank heavens for U.S. military might.

Heartbreak Ridge would have been a better film if Graham Greene had written it.

Tuesday, May 26

I’m guessing that a lot of the better films shown this day have also been shown fairly recently?

The Go-Getter, a 1937 Busby Berkeley film with George Brent makes me curious.  Sounds like a part for Herbert Marshall.

Island Prisons in the evening is good but could have used a change up like, John Ford’s The Prisoner of Shark Island.  But that one was Twentieth Century Fox.

8 p.m.  has The Count of Monte Crisco (sic)

Papillon is on tomorrow at midnight.

At least Steve McQueen never got old. He'll always be cool and tough for us.

Papillon is on tomorrow at midnight.

At least Steve McQueen never got old. He'll always be cool and tough for us.

Great movie, great cast. Hope that's midnight.eastern time, so I can watch it all, instead of falling asleep at some point.

Great movie, great cast. Hope that's midnight.eastern time, so I can watch it all, instead of falling asleep at some point.

Yes -- midnight eastern. And at 5am eastern: Devil's Island (1939) with Boris Karloff. I don't remember if i've ever seen it, but I see Adia Kuznetzoff gets good billing. He's the guy who gave us one of horror film's best musical sequences -- the "Festival of the New Wine" scene in Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman.

Yes -- midnight eastern. And at 5am eastern: Devil's Island (1939) with Boris Karloff. I don't remember if i've ever seen it, but I see Adia Kuznetzoff gets good billing. He's the guy who gave us one of horror film's best musical sequences -- the "Festival of the New Wine" scene in Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman.

Tell us more about Adia Kuznetzoff, Swithin!  I had never even heard of this bloke.  How did he end up in Hollywood on a Frankenstein picture?

Its been years since I've seen this Universal horror, so I can't place.that scene. I think I have tsped from AMC many years ago, but where do I have the vhs cassette. Hmmm....

In Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (directed by Roy William Neill, who directed most of the Rathbone/Holmes films), Larry (the Wolf Man) is taken by Maria Ouspenskaya from Wales to Vasaria --  he has heard that Dr. F. can cure his werewolfery. He hooks up with Baroness Elsa, Dr. F's granddaughter, played by Ilona Massey. He and the Baroness are invited by the Mayor (Lionel Atwill) to the village fete. "The Festival of the New Wine," an operetta-like production number, is sung by Adia Kuznetzoff, a Russian- born actor who seems to have been a bit player in many movies. At one point in the song, Adia sings to Elsa and Larry:

"To they I toast come drink with me, that may they ever happy be

And may they live eternally..."

Well, Larry gets hysterical when he hears those lines, jumps up, grabs Adia, and shouts:

"Eternally! I don't want to live eternally!"  -- which spoils the fun for Adia and all the villagers, who slink away.

It's a nice touch -- a musical interlude in the midst of a horror film. Other examples which I particularly like are "Hey You!," sung by Ann Codee at the beginning of The Mummy's Curse; and "I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls," sung by Evelyn Ankers in The Mad Ghoul.

• Like 1

In Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (directed by Roy William Neill, who directed most of the Rathbone/Holmes films), Larry (the Wolf Man) is taken by Maria Ouspenskaya from the Wales to Vasaria --  he has heard that Dr. F. can cure his werewolfery. He hooks up with Baroness Elsa, Dr. F's granddaughter, played by Ilona Massey. He and the Baroness are invited by the Mayor (Lionel Atwill) to the village fete. "The Festival of the New Wine," an operetta-like production number, is sung by Adia Kuznetzoff, a Russian- born actor who seems to have been a bit player in many movies. At one point in the song, Adia sings to Elsa and Larry:

"To they I toast come drink with me, that may they ever happy be

And may they live eternally..."

Well, Larry gets hysterical when he hears those lines, jumps up, grabs Adia, and shouts:

"Eternally! I don't want to live eternally!"  -- which spoils the fun for Adia and all the villagers, who slink away.

It's a nice touch -- a musical interlude in the midst of a horror film. Other examples which I particularly like are "Hey You!," sung by Ann Codee at the beginning of The Mummy's Curse; and "I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls," sung by Evelyn Ankers in The Mad Ghoul.

You're examples.sound.like.much needed.levity among.the horror.

On.a lighter,.though related note, there's the batch of.songs.done by Phyllis Diller and others in the MAD.MONSTER PARTY. The only title I remember, sung by a band.of skeletons, is "It's the Mummy".

You're examples.sound.like.much needed.levity among.the horror.

On.a lighter,.though related note, there's the batch of.songs.done by Phyllis Diller and others in the MAD.MONSTER PARTY. The only title I remember, sung by a band.of skeletons, is "It's the Mummy".

An important aspect of all that music is that it's pretty well integrated with the plot line.  As is of course the beautiful scene with the hermit and the "Ave Maria" in Bride of Frankenstein.

Wednesday, May 27

"Let's go Mandrake, the redcoats are coming!"

Teacher pictures during the day followed by some of Sterling Hayden’s best films; The Long Goodbye, Loving and Dr. Strangelove.  All of these films offer great support performances from Hayden and others.

George Segal and Eva Marie Saint fans will probably like Loving.  Keenan Wynn is pretty good in it too.  I bought a copy of it just before this schedule was announced.  Is this a premiere on TCM?

Bette Davis and Sterling appear in The Star at 8 p.m.

post-35686-0-08941700-1432636810_thumb.png

post-35686-0-08941700-1432636810_thumb.png