Bogie56

HITS & MISSES: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow on TCM

7,883 posts in this topic

My pick for Thursday, May 28, is Alice Adams (1935) with Katharine Hepburn and Fred MacMurray.  It's not as well known as some of Hepburn's other films, but I found this film to be very sweet and enjoyable.  It's also an early film role for Fred MacMurray.  Hepburn plays Alice Adams, a social climber who is trying to climb out of poverty.  She attends a dance and meets wealthy Fred MacMurray.  The family is in dire straits after Hepburn's father is ostracized from society by his disgruntled former employer.  The family tries to do everything they can do to try and impress MacMurray and hopefully get him to marry Hepburn. 

I really liked this movie.  It's not a huge blockbuster or fancy Technicolor movie.  It's just a sweet little romantic film starring two actors I like--Hepburn and MacMurray. 

I definitely recommend The Star for this evening. It's part of the SOTM for Sterling Hayden but it's Bette Davis' film all the way.

My pick for Thursday, May 28, is Alice Adams (1935) with Katharine Hepburn and Fred MacMurray.  It's not as well known as some of Hepburn's other films, but I found this film to be very sweet and enjoyable.  It's also an early film role for Fred MacMurray.  Hepburn plays Alice Adams, a social climber who is trying to climb out of poverty.  She attends a dance and meets wealthy Fred MacMurray.  The family is in dire straits after Hepburn's father is ostracized from society by his disgruntled former employer.  The family tries to do everything they can do to try and impress MacMurray and hopefully get him to marry Hepburn. 

I really liked this movie.  It's not a huge blockbuster or fancy Technicolor movie.  It's just a sweet little romantic film starring two actors I like--Hepburn and MacMurray. 

I totally agree about this movie. Bette Davis always maintained that she felt her oscar for DANGEROUS was a consolation prize for the previous year's OF HUMAN BONDAGE, and felt her oscar should've rightly gone to Hepburn for ALICE ADAMS.

Thursday, May 28

There are two fairly rare screenings (as far as I know) on during the day.

Smilin’ Through (1932) at 10:15 a.m. and

What Price Hollywood? (1932) at noon

The entire cast of What Price Hollywood is very good, Gregory Ratoff included.

Time travel films in the evening, but dang it, TCM didn’t bother to pony up the 25 cents for the Canadian rights to the Dr. Who film.  No, in Canada it is Forbidden Planet.  That must be right up there with North by Northwest repeat screenings.

​Chris Marker's short subject La Jetee at 11:45 p.m.  is worth a look for anyone that hasn't seen it.  My school board owned a copy of it so it was trotted out by our teachers at least once a year.  As everyone probably knows, Marker's short was the basis of Terry Gilliam's Twelve Monkeys

post-35686-0-75162300-1432757457_thumb.png

post-35686-0-75162300-1432757457_thumb.png

For those who get FXM Retro (FMC), tomorrow, Thursday, May 28 @ 10:05 am est, they will show the 1972 crime drama, TROUBLE MAN, which came early during the Blaxploitation wave. It features the great jazzy score by Marvin Gaye (his followup to his masterpiece "What's Going On"), including the sublime title tune. I have never seen this film.

Thursday, May 28

There are two fairly rare screenings (as far as I know) on during the day.

Smilin’ Through (1932) at 10:15 a.m. and

What Price Hollywood? (1932) at noon

The entire cast of What Price Hollywood is very good, Gregory Ratoff included.

Time travel films in the evening, but dang it, TCM didn’t bother to pony up the 25 cents for the Canadian rights to the Dr. Who film.  No, in Canada it is Forbidden Planet.  That must be right up there with North by Northwest repeat screenings.

​Chris Marker's short subject La Jetee at 11:45 p.m.  is worth a look for anyone that hasn't seen it.  My school board owned a copy of it so it was trotted out by our teachers at least once a year.  As everyone probably knows, Marker's short was the basis of Terry Gilliam's Twelve Monkeys

Runaway Bride looks good too, at least in terms of cast. Never seen it before.

.................It's a clunker. Too bad. Hopefully Smilin' Through will be better.

Runaway Bride looks good too, at least in terms of cast. Never seen it before.

.................It's a clunker. Too bad. Hopefully Smilin' Through will be better.

Whoa. Not just a clunker, but did you catch the big mob boss stroking the head of the crooked doc at the end of the picture?

Yikes. :blink:

Whoa. Not just a clunker, but did you catch the big mob boss stroking the head of the crooked doc at the end of the picture?

Yikes. :blink:

Oh my. Smilin' Through was a tear jerker. 

Lovely.

WOW.

COMPLETE waste of the gorgeous and beautiful and talented and wonderful and highly underrated Ann Harding in the drek garbage Life of Vergie Withers.

What a piece of ..............................

So sad she had to say yes to this. I apologize for all the men in charge at the time, Ms. Harding. You deserved better.

Friday, May 29

I'll be recording Blackmail with Edward G. for sure

Carol Reed's film, The Third Man is on at 8 p.m. 

And Orson is also good in several of the other films.  His Max Buda, the Hungarian film producer in The V.I.P.’s is pretty spot on.  Was he channeling Korda?

And I read on the boards of some interest in Act of Violence on at 4:30 in the morning.  I thought it was just ‘fair’ but it has been 30 years.  It has a good cast.

I definitely recommend The Star for this evening. It's part of the SOTM for Sterling Hayden but it's Bette Davis' film all the way.

Yes. Bette Davis is THE STAR.

Natalie Wood plays her daughter in the movie.

My picks for tomorrow are two Orson Welles movies-- The Third Man and Tomorrow is Forever.

I always think of The Third Man as an Orson Welles movie, but it's not, he's just an actor in it.  The movie fits his aesthetic so well, it's hard to forget that it was directed by Carol Reed and not Welles.  Welles' Harry Lime character is one of the all time great villains in cinema, he also has one of the best onscreen entrances ever. 

I also really like Tomorrow is Forever with Welles and Claudette Colbert.  Natalie Wood also plays Welles' daughter in this film.  He and Colbert were a great team.  I love seeing Welles in films where he just acts--especially in sweet romantic films like this one.  He was a very versatile performer and I look forward to seeing this film again.

My picks for tomorrow are two Orson Welles movies-- The Third Man and Tomorrow is Forever.

I always think of The Third Man as an Orson Welles movie, but it's not, he's just an actor in it.  The movie fits his aesthetic so well, it's hard to forget that it was directed by Carol Reed and not Welles.  Welles' Harry Lime character is one of the all time great villains in cinema, he also has one of the best onscreen entrances ever. 

I was told an interesting anecdote about The Third Man by someone who worked on it.  Apparently the work print, or the copy from the original negative that the picture editor uses to cut the picture with was completely lost in a fire just when the film was due to be completed.

You can imagine - months of work gone up in flames.

So it was back to the drawing board and they then had to reprint the film from the original negative and start cutting once again.  A copy of the cut sound track had survived and they were able to match the picture to that soundtrack and get back to the cut they had before.

A similar thing happened with the documentary The Man Who Skied Down Everest.  That film was over a year in the cutting room before it was completed.  The producers were screening the work print in New York and signing deals.  On arriving back at their hotel for celebrations they suddenly realized that they had left the film in the trunk of the taxi.

They contacted every cab company in New York, hired private detectives but never retrieved the film.  In their case it then took another 9 months to recut the film.  These were the days without digital copies of everything.

I guess they were rewarded for their efforts as the producers went on to win the Academy Award for Best Documentary.

Did I hear my friend Ben M. pronounce Berkeley Square not as Barkley Square but as Berkley Square? I think I did. :o

That's okay, Ben, I forgive you.

Love that movie.

Did I hear my friend Ben M. pronounce Berkeley Square not as Barkley Square but as Berkley Square? I think I did. :o

That's okay, Ben, I forgive you.

Love that movie.

Actually, Ben was correct.

Except, as I noted, he said BERKley Square. BURKley Square.

Not BARK, which is what dogs do.

Ah, so Ben was wrong.

You are right.

I misread your original post. 

Saturday May 30

June Allyson haters may want to sleep in as the day kicks off at 6 a.m. with Till the Clouds Roll By (1946)

I recently watched The Man Who Could Work Miracles again for a second time.  Roland Young is quite good in a rare lead role.

The real gem may be the serial,  Batman: Embers of Evil (1943)  ‘A Japanese scientist turning people into zombies.’?  Sounds like the start of a genre to me.  A friend told me that Dana Andrews’ The Frozen Dead (1966) was the first Nazi Zombie flick.  I doan know?

Then it is take your pick of classics starting at noon with Another Thin Man (1939)

But I'll be watching the FA Cup live from Wembley at 12:30.  Arsenal v Aston Villa

Has anyone seen the 2 a.m. Bill Murray movie, Nothing Lasts Forever (1984) ?

Perversion For Profit (1965) at 5:15 looks a bit kitschy.  

Saturday May 30

June Allyson haters may want to sleep in as the day kicks off at 6 a.m. with Till the Clouds Roll By (1946)

I recently watched The Man Who Could Work Miracles again for a second time.  Roland Young is quite good in a rare lead role.

The real gem may be the serial,  Batman: Embers of Evil (1943)  ‘A Japanese scientist turning people into zombies.’?  Sounds like the start of a genre to me.  A friend told me that Dana Andrews’ The Frozen Dead (1966) was the first Nazi Zombie flick.  I doan know?

Then it is take your pick of classics starting at noon with Another Thin Man (1939)

But I'll be watching the FA Cup live from Wembley at 12:30.  Arsenal v Aston Villa

Has anyone seen the 2 a.m. Bill Murray movie, Nothing Lasts Forever (1984) ?

Perversion For Profit (1965) at 5:15 looks a bit kitschy.  

Thanks for the heads up. Roland Young was very good in that movie. Very English, very quirky.

And Powell at noon? Even though they stuck a kid in and got them on the wagon, it will still be good to see Nick and Nora.

Wow, that Bill Murray movie sounds bizarro. Too bad it isn't on at a decent hour. Imogene Coca, Eddie Fisher, Mort Sahl, Sam Jaffe and Lawrence Tierney? Holy mackerel, imagine being on THAT set!!!!!!!!  :o

Saturday May 30

I recently watched The Man Who Could Work Miracles 

Ask him if he'd like to clean up the message boards.

• Like 1