Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

Eastern Boys (2013)

4 posts in this topic

I've just seen the fascinating, award-winning film Eastern Boys, directed by Moroccan-born French director Robin Campillo. It's a powerful, poetic film about a middle-aged French man who picks up a Ukrainian rent boy at the Gare due Nord in Paris. What follows is not what I expected. The movie is definitely worth seeing. 

There are other movies about Eastern European rent boys. I'm thinking particularly of Mandragora and  other excellent films by the Polish director Wiktor Grodecki, who films deal with the sad lot of these boys with compassion, mostly against the Baroque backdrop of 1990s Prague. But Eastern Boys is a bit different.

Eastern Boys did play film festivals and had a general release.  This review gives a good sense of what it's about:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/movies/review-in-eastern-boys-a-train-station-pickup-gone-wrong.html?_r=0

• Like 1

I was very glad that I discovered "Eastern Boys" via Netflix - and I did think that I was watching a talented piece of filmmaking - but, for me, the problem with the film is that "the hero" is basically a very stupid man.  

Can you imagine if TCM programmed an evening of these films...?

Why won't TCM do a primetime programming of explicitly gay films?  Robert Osborne's recent handling of "Deathtrap" was incredibly naive.