speedracer5

I Just Watched...

8,411 posts in this topic

There's absolutely no chemistry between Olivier and Monroe in The Prince and the Showgirl. That's part of the problem. TPATS feels like one of those "concept" movies, where someone went "Hey, I've got a great idea - what about we pair up Marilyn Monroe and Laurence Olivier,  We mix in some snobbery, class politics, and a political conspiracy...it'll work, trust me..."

I was disappointed that on that Doris Day day (hey, day X 2), they didn't air one of Doris' best, The Pajama Game. This is a wonderful and mysteriously unknown musical starring Doris and John Raitt (more known for stage and television than movies.)

It's full of great songs, incredible dance numbers (like "This is My Once a Year Day"), and fun characters. I love it, it's my favourite DD movie.

I guess TCM doesn't have the rights to it or something, because they never air it. Too bad.

I agree with you MissWonderly regarding The Prince and the Showgirl-- perhaps that is what is wrong with it.  I don't believe that Olivier and Monroe are into each other at all.  I could see Monroe's character being more easily taken with OIivier's only because of his royal standing... but not the other way around.  I'm all for movies that have a great romance, but this movie didn't convince me that any romance was happening.  Aside from Monroe (who I find likeable in pretty much every role she's in), the only other part of the film I liked was that the date of the King's coronation was also my birthday. 

Thanks for the recommendation on The Pajama Game.  I just bought this Doris Day boxed set a while back and The Pajama Game was included.  I haven't seen that one yet.

"There's absolutely no chemistry between Olivier and Monroe in The Prince and the Showgirl."

The "chemistry" is between Monroe and the audience.

Now I'm watching On Moonlight Bay another Doris Day film.  Sorry for all you non-DD fans... I recorded a lot of these films, so there will be more of my mini-reviews coming.  Lol.  Anyway...

In this film, Day is paired up with Gordon MacRae, who after looking at the cast list of all the other Doris Day films I recorded, appears to have been paired up with Day multiple times.  MacRae reminds me of Richard Long (who we're discussing on another thread).  They look very similar.  While handsome, MacRae's looks are very bland.  He doesn't have that extra pizazz that his contemporaries had.  I'll have to admit that while his singing voice doesn't irritate me like Howard Keel's does, I find Day's singing much more pleasant to listen to. 

Anyway, I liked the film.  It was a very entertaining musical--even though I thought Day seemed a bit too old for this part, but that didn't ruin the enjoyment of the film.  Her little brothers were funny.  What is with all these films that has the older sibling and the way younger (by at least 10 years) siblings? It seems to be a common characteristic in many of these older films.  Rosemary DeCamp and Leon Ames as the parents were effective.  They reminded me of Leon Ames and Mary Astor as the parents in Meet Me in St. Louis, except Astor's mother character was a warmer person.  I just saw DeCamp in Nora Prentiss and she played a similar character, except a little colder.  DeCamp does the cold humorless mother character very well.

Apparently this film has a sequel... By the Light of the Silvery Moon, which I'll have to watch later. 

I think I still prefer the films from the later part of Day's career, but I'm finding that her early musicals are entertaining and good ways to pass time or serve as background noise when working on other chores. 

My comment in this post reminds me of another film I just watched...

Nora Prentiss.  I recorded this the other day because I've been trying to see more Ann Sheridan films.  I loved this film.  It was ridiculous which is a trait that I look forward to in melodramas.  For half of the film, I thought that it was Ann Sheridan and George Brent paired up again, until I realized that it wasn't Brent at all, but someone named Kent Smith. Anyway... I loved the craziness of this film.  Smith, a doctor and married to the cold emotionless Rosemary DeCamp, is unhappy in his relationship.  He meets Ann Sheridan, a beautiful nightclub singer.  They begin an affair and are very much in love.  Smith promises Sheridan that he's going to divorce DeCamp and then they can start their life together.  Smith then finds out that leaving his wife isn't going to be as easy as he thought it would be.  A patient dies in Smith's office.  While looking at his records, Dr. Smith realizes that the patient's physical appearance and age matches his own.  He steals the patient's identity and somehow makes it look like he's the one who has died.  Smith (with his new identity) and Sheridan run away together.

Whatever could go wrong with this scheme?

Sheridan was fantastic per usual.  Her co-star Kent Smith, was good in this film, but he didn't make any major impression on me that would make me want to see more of his work.  He's very George Brent like, meaning, he's very interchangeable with a variety of different handsome, albeit, plain, actors. 

So, I take it nobody thought Bob Mitchum was "sexy" in RIVER OF NO RETURN, and as i mentioned earlier in this thing?!

(...I mean, I'm a straight dude here, and I THOUGHT Mitchum was pretty damn "sexy" in THAT flick he co-starred with Marilyn in, and pretty much ANY movie the guy starred in with ANY actress...so what GIVES here, HUH?!)

...Thanks for the recommendation on The Pajama Game.  I just bought this Doris Day boxed set a while back and The Pajama Game was included.  I haven't seen that one yet.

You're in for a treat. Let us know what you think of it (hopefully it'll be on this thread, and not on the "waste of space" one.)

So, I take it nobody thought Bob Mitchum was "sexy" in RIVER OF NO RETURN, and as i mentioned earlier in this thing?!

(...I mean, I'm a straight dude here, and I THOUGHT Mitchum was pretty damn "sexy" in THAT flick he co-starred with Marilyn in, and pretty much ANY movie the guy starred in with ANY actress...so what GIVES here, HUH?!)

Some people think Tony Curtis was sexy too. Well, women anyway.

Some people think Tony Curtis was sexy too. Well, women anyway.

Yep, good point, dark. I'd say Curtis was probably as "sexy" as Marilyn was in SOME LIKE IT HOT, too.

In fact, when Tony was dressed up as Josephine in that movie, I always thought the guy kind'a gave off a distinct "Eve Arden sexiness"!

(...and call me strange here, but I always found Eve to be kind'a sexy, and ever since as a kid I caught her on TV in "Our Miss Brooks"!!!) ;)

"I was disappointed that on that Doris Day day (hey, day X 2), they didn't air one of Doris' best, The Pajama Game. This is a wonderful and mysteriously unknown musical starring Doris and John Raitt (more known for stage and television than movies.)"

Yeah, me too! :)

Maybe we should start a relentless "Hot Spell" type campaign for a TCM airing??

;)

Lol. 

I've never thought Robert Mitchum was all that sexy.  Though I can see why women would.  Mitchum's got that rough, rugged look going on and was a good actor to boot.  I haven't watched River of No Return forever so I can't form an opinion.

Her leading men:

-Tony Curtis (Some Like it Hot)- I thought he was kind of attractive, but I don't think he's in the same league as some of the other men I love (Flynn, Holden).  He definitely wasn't ugly by any means, and did a good Cary Grant impression.

(Dargo, I do agree that he does somewhat look like Eve Arden! I never realized that before)

-Richard Widmark (Don't Bother to Knock), meh.  He doesn't do much for me.  I never was much into blonde guys, except I do think Paul Newman's cute.

-Robert Mitchum (River of No Return), he doesn't do anything for me, but I can see why women like him.  He took over the rugged outdoorsman type role from Clark Gable.  He's definitely got the right look for a sexy man for Marilyn to hook up with in a Western.

-Jack Lemmon (Some Like it Hot), I never thought Lemmon was "hot" or "sexy" but I think he's cute.  Though, I suppose he isn't really Marilyn's leading "man" in this film, he's Joe E. Brown's, lol.  Brown, btw, is definitely NOT sexy.

-Clark Gable (The Misfits), I've never found Gable hot but in some of his films I thought he was attractive.  Sometimes he's attractive and sometimes he's kind of goofy looking. 

-Yves Montand (Let's Make Love), Another man I don't find all that attractive, but apparently Marilyn did.  They had an affair during the making of this film.

-Laurence Olivier (The Prince and the Showgirl), Ick.  Next.

-Tom Ewell (The Seven Year Itch). Next.

-David Wayne (How to Marry a Millionaire).  No! Next.

-Joseph Cotten (Niagara).  While I like him as an actor, he is not attractive.

-Cary Grant (Monkey Business). Yes! Now we're talking.

-Don Murray (Bus Stop).  He's okay. But I hated his character so much in this film.

-Donald O'Conner (There's No Business Like Show Business).  I like O'Conner, but cute? Not so much.

...I'd have to give the winner of the sexiest Monroe co-star to probably either Cary Grant or Tony Curtis.  Tony Curtis might have the edge, if only because he and Monroe shared such a steamy moment in their film together.

If only Monroe had been able to finish Something's Got to Give with Dean Martin... He might have given these men a run for their money... While he's not the hottest guy, I love him.  He's so cool.  Lol.

Okay.  I spent way too much time on this post.  I need to get up and do other things.

I just watched What's Up Doc? starring Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal.

It's been on the DVR for awhile now. 

The movie opens with a fantastic rendition of Cole Porter's "You're the Top" sung by Barbra Streisand and then proceeds to tell the story of four identical plaid overnight bags that get mixed up: one bag contains rocks belonging to professor Ryan O'Neal (the "doc" of the title), one bag contains Barbra Streisand's clothes and underwear, one bag contains top secret documents and one bag contains a wealthy woman's jewels. Instrumental versions of various Cole Porter songs are heard throughout the movie.

Barbra looks beautiful and sings "As Time Goes By" about halfway through the movie. At one point she's hanging from a hotel ledge wearing only a towel!

Madeline Kahn is hilarious as Ryan's O'Neal's fiance.

The movie is an homage to screwball comedies from the 1930s and the actorrs do a good job witth the fast-paced dialogue.

The car chase through San Francisco near the end of the movie is a lot of fun . There's a pane of glass that some men are trying to cross the street with that you just know is going to get broken as all the cars go by, but what actually causes it to break was quite unexpected.

...Sheridan was fantastic per usual.  Her co-star Kent Smith, was good in this film, but he didn't make any major impression on me that would make me want to see more of his work.  He's very George Brent like, meaning, he's very interchangeable with a variety of different handsome, albeit, plain, actors.

I know what you mean about Kent Smith's blandness, but he was in two very interesting movies, besides Norah Prentiss :

The Damned Don't Cry , a Joan-o drama with (naturally) Joan Crawford. One of those half over-the-top melodrama, half noir affairs. (The poster here called LornaHansenForbes uses a still of Joan from that movie as his "avatar" pic.)

More importantly, Kent Smith was in Cat People. While Kent himself is pretty nondescript in it, the film itself is very unusual and memorable.

I just watched 'Carnal Knowledge' (1971) again.

I so enjoy the movies of Mike Nichols.

There is so much truth represented in the character portrayed by Jack Nicholson. Not nice truth, but truth that many (if not most) men are acquainted with (though they wisely keep it locked inside as best they can).

I'm not sure if Ann-Margret has ever done better acting than in this - I remember being very surprised back in '71. The shallow acting she'd displayed the previous decade was no preparation for it. Mike Nichols should probably get the credit for bringing it out - and she'd be better from this time onward.

Well, so far today, I haven't watched anything. 

But, I DID watch the last hour or so of THE LAST PICTURE SHOW on MOVIES last night.

Really liked this movie for a long time.  Among one of my all-time favorites.  Sure kick started and recharged several careers, didn't it?

I just loved the LOOK of it.  If I didn't know better, I'd have thought it WAS filmed in '52 or thereabouts.  Kudos to the cinematographer!  In fact, I DO know a few who actually DID think it was some old "B" movie from the early '50's, because they didn't recognize any of the actors or actresses in it!  In fact, one guy I know, when I mentioned the one character was being played by JEFF BRIDGES, commented, "Oh, he's that SEA HUNT guy's BROTHER, right?"   And, no----it WASN'T the same guy who confused Desi Arnaz as JAMES ARNESS' brother!  It is only MY misfortune to know too many of these people!

Sepiatone

A couple of days ago, I watched Term Of Trial(1962) on TCM.

Never seen it before, & liked it; apart from the 'trying' wife of the main character.

Don't know why, in the beginning, they had to copy the Oasis 'Importance Of Being Idle' video though. ;)

But, I DID watch the last hour or so of THE LAST PICTURE SHOW on MOVIES last night.

Really liked this movie for a long time.  Among one of my all-time favorites.  Sure kick started and recharged several careers, didn't it?

I just loved the LOOK of it.  If I didn't know better, I'd have thought it WAS filmed in '52 or thereabouts.  Kudos to the cinematographer! 

THE LAST PICTURE SHOW is a favorite movie of mine as well.

I mentioned it another thread as an example of a film in which black-and-white cinematography was chosen althoiugh color cinematography was the standard at the time the movie was made.

Peter Bogdanovich and his cast and crew created something very beautiful and real.

Here's an an amazing example:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvjLvggrYUo[/media]

I just watched What's Up Doc? starring Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal.

It's been on the DVR for awhile now. 

The movie opens with a fantastic rendition of Cole Porter's "You're the Top" sung by Barbra Streisand and then proceeds to tell the story of four identical plaid overnight bags that get mixed up: one bag contains rocks belonging to professor Ryan O'Neal (the "doc" of the title), one bag contains Barbra Streisand's clothes and underwear, one bag contains top secret documents and one bag contains a wealthy woman's jewels.

The woman with the bag of jewels is WHAT'S UP, DOC is played by Mabel Albertson, who played Darrin's mother on BEWITCHED.

The scene where she discovers her jewels have been stolen and she runs screaming "Robbers! Robbers!" into the hotel lobby really cracks me up.

I just loved the LOOK of it.  If I didn't know better, I'd have thought it WAS filmed in '52 or thereabouts.  Kudos to the cinematographer!  In fact, I DO know a few who actually DID think it was some old "B" movie from the early '50's, because they didn't recognize any of the actors or actresses in it!  In fact, one guy I know, when I mentioned the one character was being played by JEFF BRIDGES, commented, "Oh, he's that SEA HUNT guy's BROTHER, right?"   And, no----it WASN'T the same guy who confused Desi Arnaz as JAMES ARNESS' brother!  It is only MY misfortune to know too many of these people!

Sepiatone

Totally agree with all your comments re. THE LAST PICTURE SHOW; it captures bittersweetly the feel of small hamlets not only on the plains, but all over America, as they dried up along with opportunities.

I saw completely for the first time THE LAST OF SHEILA, which I had only seen in parts. I can't say thst I really liked it, but it is so of its time, and had a great cast. This film gives me a nostalgia for when I was a child in the early 70s, and family, and everyone, dressed and looked like that. Otoh, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW had a built in nostalgia for an earlier, arguably simpler time, but the overriding feeling is that of sadness.

I just watched Mark Robson's Champion (1949) with Kirk Douglas, Arthur Kennedy, Paul Stewart, Marilyn Maxwell and Ruth Roman.

I had seen it three times before but not again since the late seventies.  When I was a kid I was a big Kirk fan.  Films like the Vikings, Spartacus, his westerns, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed his performance in this film.  He plays a difficult character to like.  Kirk often played those parts.  Detective Story and The Bad and The Beautiful come to Mind.  

Carl Foreman's screenplay is top notch.  This time around I was watching the film more from Kirk's character's p.o.v. and you could see at times how he was imagining that the world around him was against him and those close to him were letting him down as they didn't have the same sort of ambition as he had.  

The boxing sequences are very well photographed by Franz Planer.  Looking on the imdb it seems Franz was Audrey Hepburn's cameraman.  There must be a story there.

...THE LAST PICTURE SHOW had a built in nostalgia for an earlier, arguably simpler time, but the overriding feeling is that of sadness.

Well, I know I at least was kind'a depressed for a couple of day after the first time I watched this great film, anyway.

OMG, Richard. Back in the day, as a 13 year-old, I loved that show so much. I remember my heart being broken by its cancellation after a single season.

One thing I never forgot was how Elmer Bernstein's theme would soar, right after Joseph Cotten's opening introductory remarks that would always finish with "on Hollywood and the Stars". I've been humming that theme for half a century.

I was 13 years old, too, when this show was on and I looked forward to it every week.  It was very disappointing when it was not renewed for a second season.  I also always like the theme music.  Thanks for the link!

I wouldn't be a true blue Americano if I didn't watch at least one

war film during the holiday weekend. Went with Bataan. Partly

because the 2 to 4 showing fit into my schedule and partly

because I haven't seen it in ages and needed a little refresher

and lastly, sheer inertia. Good flick. But I couldn't help but notice

that a lot of these guys were pretty stupid and it cost them big

time. You're behind your defenses and the enemy is out there,

so instead of hunkering down, why not stand up and stretch and

made some comment and ping, get killed. Then there's the dude

who shots down a Japanese airplane with a machine gun. Does

he then run for cover? Nope, just stands there so the next plane

can strafe his *** to pieces. Duh. Not that the Japanese were any

smarter. At the end of the picture Robert Taylor is the last man

left (Bob you're the star of the movie. That means you're the last

guy to die. Okayyyy). Anyhow, Bob's manning a machine gun.

What do the Japanese do? They run at him and he mows 'em

down like so much grass. Why not just toss a few grenades at

ol' Bob? Whatever. Despite that, still an entertaining film and an

obvious morale booster. Things will work out fine, it will just take

a while.

I wouldn't be a true blue Americano if I didn't watch at least one

war film during the holiday weekend. Went with Bataan. Partly

because the 2 to 4 showing fit into my schedule and partly

because I haven't seen it in ages and needed a little refresher

and lastly, sheer inertia. Good flick. But I couldn't help but notice

that a lot of these guys were pretty stupid and it cost them big

time. You're behind your defenses and the enemy is out there,

so instead of hunkering down, why not stand up and stretch and

made some comment and ping, get killed. Then there's the dude

who shots down a Japanese airplane with a machine gun. Does

he then run for cover? Nope, just stands there so the next plane

can strafe his *** to pieces. Duh. Not that the Japanese were any

smarter. At the end of the picture Robert Taylor is the last man

left (Bob you're the star of the movie. That means you're the last

guy to die. Okayyyy). Anyhow, Bob's manning a machine gun.

What do the Japanese do? They run at him and he mows 'em

down like so much grass. Why not just toss a few grenades at

ol' Bob? Whatever. Despite that, still an entertaining film and an

obvious morale booster. Things will work out fine, it will just take

a while.

I thought Desi Arnaz' part was one of the highlights of the film.  The prayer he tells while succumbing to malaria was a particularly poignant part of the film--especially since in the beginning he was so optimistic while also very homesick for America.