speedracer5

I Just Watched...

14,752 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Excellent review, except Kolchak drives a Mustang. 

This is one of my favorite films and it really holds together well today. Still creeps me out some, especially at night home alone. I have always loved Darren McGavin. 

I have tried to catch Barry Atwater in other roles, but I never seem to be able to focus on him long enough to catch the resemblance. I can't remember what I saw him in, but he was a blonde.

Looks like a 1968 Chevrolet Camaro 327

1968 Chevrolet Camaro 327

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm not sure of the actress's name, but the character of the former prostitute who has become a hotel maid was the best in the picture and the film's most interesting aspect.

That's Mary Philips..she did more stage work than screen I think..and she was married to Humphrey Bogart for a while...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, shutoo said:

That's Mary Philips..she did more stage work than screen I think..and she was married to Humphrey Bogart for a while...

THANK YOU FOR THIS!

Just imdb'd her. She was also in MANNEQUIN with CRAWFORD the next year and played GENE TIERNEY'S mother in LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN.

(Heretofore I thought Bogie's only ex-wife was MAYO METHOT)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Night Stalker (1972) Twilight Zone Neo Noir

Directed by John Llewellyn Moxey, adapted from the novel by Jeff Rice The Kolchak Papers by Richard Matheson

The Night Stalker became ABC's highest rated original TV movie, it did so well it was actually released overseas as a theatrical movie and inspired a sequel TV movie titled The Night Strangler.

And, of course, went on to be the most beloved Friday-night staple of every 10-yo. for two seasons in '74-'75--Also available on DVD series-boxset:

MV5BMjEwMTEyMjgzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDY2

https://www.amazon.com/Kolchak-Night-Stalker-Universal-Studios/dp/B00UGQC9BQ/

(The DVD seems to be OOP, but it's streaming on Amazon VOD, and surfaces on Netflix/Hulu frequently.)

Night Strangler (1973) Twilight Zone Neo Noir

the-night-stalker-dvd-cover.jpg

Carl Kolchak: This is the story behind the most incredible series of murders to ever occur in the city of Seattle, Washington. You never read about them in your local newspapers or heard about them on your local radio or television station. Why? Because the facts were watered down, torn apart, and reassembled... in a word, falsified.

The first film was extremely successful and the second instalment actually improved upon the formula. It garnered very strong ratings and ABC ordered a TV series.

Directed by Dan Curtis (Dark Shadows producer), written by Richard Matheson. The cinematography was by Robert B. Hauser, and the music was Bob Cobert.

The film stars Darren McGavin as Carl Kolchak, Jo Ann Pflug as Louise Harper, Simon Oakland (who himself played a reporter in the Noir I Want To Live) as Tony Vincenzo, Scott Brady (younger brother of Lawrence Tierney  and a vet of six Classic Film Noir) as Capt. Roscoe Schubert, Wally Cox as Titus Berry, Margaret Hamilton (the wicked witch of the West from the The Wizard Of Oz (1939)) as Prof. Hester Crabwell, John Carradine (Fallen Angel (1945)) as Llewellyn Crossbinder, Al Lewis (The Munsters TV Series (1964–1966) ) as Tramp, Nina Wayne (sister of Carol Wayne Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round (1966)) as Charisma Beauty, Virginia Peters as Wilma Krankheimer, Richard Anderson (a veteran of three Classic Noir and Classic SiFi film Forbidden Planet (1956) as Dr. Richard Malcolm/Dr. Malcolm Richards.

The film was as successful as The Night Stalker, and this resulted in ABC actually shelving a third TV Movie and deciding to develop the TV series and have it produced by Universal. 8/10. Full review with some screen caps in Film Noir/Gangster.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Night Strangler (1973) Twilight Zone Neo Noir

The film was as successful as The Night Stalker, and this resulted in ABC actually shelving a third TV Movie and deciding to develop the TV series and have it produced by Universal. 8/10. Full review with some screen caps in Film Noir/Gangster.

Unfortunately, the TV series bordered on the ridiculous, despite McGavin's presence. I watched quite a few of the episodes. I think Johnny Carson even lampooned the series, saying "in every episode, Darren McGavin goes in search of the plot."

I recall seeing both The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler when they first ran on ABC. I preferred the former to the latter, but they were both enjoyable.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THANK YOU FOR THIS!

Just imdb'd her. She was also in MANNEQUIN with CRAWFORD the next year and played GENE TIERNEY'S mother in LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN.

(Heretofore I thought Bogie's only ex-wife was MAYO METHOT)

I believe Mary Philips is also the nurse who doesn't want to date Gary Cooper in A Farewell to Arms and seems very lesbian, not wanting Helen Hayes to date Cooper, either.

I also seem to recall that Adrian's costumes for Crawford in The Bride Wore Red are really wild.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Unfortunately, the TV series bordered on the ridiculous, despite McGavin's presence. I watched quite a few of the episodes. I think Johnny Carson even lampooned the series, saying "in every episode, Darren McGavin goes in search of the plot."

I recall seeing both The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler when they first ran on ABC. I preferred the former to the latter, but they were both enjoyable.

I've never seen that series, that I can remember, I was living in the boonies in Montana in the 70s with no TV. Anyway. 

I've just watched McGavin in the Mike Hammer TV series 58-59 it was quite entertaining a lot of those episodes were written by Frank Kane. I do remember liking his The Outsider, which I'd like to revisit (I have found a source for the pilot movie). What's interesting about The Outsider is that it was about an ex-con who becomes a licensed Private Eye and pretty much lives out of his car in The City Of Angels. It only lasted a season.

The series creator Roy Huggins, took the same scenario an ex-con PI, added a father figure, a police buddy, and an ex-con, had him now living in a trailer on the beach and called it The Rockford Files. It was highly successful. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I agree that the TV movies were much better than the TV series they made from the idea.  But the banter between the Kolchak character and his co-workers in the news service office and his boss (brilliantly portrayed by the always brilliant SIMON OAKLAND) was always fun to watch. 

Poor Simon... After having to deal with TOMA and all his insubordination, then having to put up with KOLCHAK and his nonsense.

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2018 at 12:25 PM, cigarjoe said:

Oh, my gosh! That's from the movie??? Maybe I'm thinking of the show, then. I was sure it was a yellow Mustang. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 12:25 PM, cigarjoe said:

You're right. It's a Camaro. Must the Stang in the short lived series.

On 11/8/2018 at 8:12 AM, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, I agree that the TV movies were much better than the TV series they made from the idea.  But the banter between the Kolchak character and his co-workers in the news service office and his boss (brilliantly portrayed by the always brilliant SIMON OAKLAND) was always fun to watch. 

Poor Simon... After having to deal with TOMA and all his insubordination, then having to put up with KOLCHAK and his nonsense.

Sepiatone

I think Darren McGavin is great in everything he did. I have a soft spot for his perf in The Christmas Story and often spend most of the time watching his reactions on Christmas morn. It's as if he has a mega hangover.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

The Terminal Man (1974) looked promising but it wasn't 5/10

That's the one I always bragged about seeing with our old college-town all-night festival audience (every President's February, there'd be a sleep-in all-night sci-fi festival, and things would get a bit punchy by 2am):

70's Andromeda Strain-era Crichton sounded good, until we got half an hour of medical footage, followed by an hour of Grandpa Goldberg, Drooling Serial Killer...And then, boy, was it Terminal.  

Every time the scene faded out, we'd cheer "Yayy!", and then "Aww!" when the next scene came on.  At one point the heroine went out on the balcony, and we shouted, "Jump, jump!  Save yourself!"

(There's a great Forbidden Planet story too, but I'll save that for the appropriate screening.)  ;)

The Matchmaker (1958)--As many times as I have seen Hello Dolly, it's kind of surprising I had never seen the original.  Of course, the biggest difference is..no music.  There is also no niece Ermengarde, or her dancing boyfriend..and Ernestina is merely a picture (in the musical, someone pretends to be her).  Even though I like the music (and hearing Streisand) I really loved this b/w version..I did think it strange that it wasn't shot in color (for the ornate dresses and settings alone).  Shirley Booth is perfection as Dolly, somewhat middle-age-plump and in need of cash..but with a knack of 'arranging' things to happen.  Paul Ford, the epitome of 'grumpy old man', is a natural for Horace.  Anthony Perkins as the gangly Cornelius Hackle, Robert Morse as his side-kick Barnaby and a young Shirley MacLaine as Irene Malloy, the hat maker-ready to take a chance-round out the main cast.  In this version, Malloy's assistant, Minnie Fay is an older woman, and not a date/dancing partner for Barnaby.  Everyone knows the basic story..one difference in this version concerns money..Ford loses his wallet and it is given to Perkins..who can then pay for the meal like the big spender he's pretending to be.  The remaining money ends up with Dolly herself..and she uses it to invest in a 'fake' storefront to convince Ford he'll soon have competition.  The fourth wall crumbles in the film, and the characters occasionally speak to the audience.  That sounds gimmicky, but it's done with such ease, it feels perfectly natural.  Even though I knew the story inside out, it really was like watching something different, in no small part because of Booth--the ultimate Dolly.  source: Cinema apk  
EoAEBPTE.jpeg

• Like 3

"Hard, Fast and Beautiful" - Ida Lupino - 1951 -

"Spoiler Alert" -

starring Claire Trevor, Sally Forrest, Carlton G. Young, Robert Clarke, Kenneth Paterson -

the cinema of Ida Lupino is lean and unpretentious -

it builds slowly, gradually to a final wallop/punch -

and it deliberately avoids melodramatic confrontations, you know, the big scenes -

this very effective film seems to be about a young girl's rise to tennis stardom -

but it's actually about her mother's overweaning ambition to acheive fame for her daughter -

at the end, when the daughter walks out on her mother and chooses love for her boyfriend and a simpler life -

the film delivers its final, crushing image - an abandoned mother sitting alone in a tennis stadium on a dark and windy night -

all of the principal actors are quite fine -

especially Claire Trevor as the manipulative mother, Sally Forrest as the accomodating daughter who's driven to the breaking point and Carlton  G. Young, who looks at Miss Forrest and sees only dollar signs -

Hard-Fast-and-Beautiful-1600x900-c-defau

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lady Street Fighter (1981)

This is so amazingly bad.

Just about everything short of the music and restoration is bad. To start somewhere, I don't know if this is "acting" or not. A lot of the actors are just saying their lines, as if they're reading from a script that only they can see; devoid of emotion, heart and life itself even in moments of mortal peril. I'm not one that notices bad acting from half-competent acting but this is just so bad, past the point of cheese that exploitation movies should have. Especially this one guy, think he was the agent but his delivery is so awful. I was begging for him to stop talking. He stood out, among thick accents, sleazy 70s Bee Gees gangsters, hookers and drunken stoned togas.

The plot is about Lady Street Fighter maybe trying to figure out what happened to her sister? And some crooks trying to recover a cassette tape of their misdeeds in a stuffed animal she has. She also has a romance with an FBI agent among some fighting of what I think is kung-fu that somehow gets worse as it goes on. She gets tangled in webs of lies, 70s sleazy cats, assassins from Assassins Inc and sleazy dives. It's baffling, but it suits it, as does its conclusion. 

But almost forgot to mention a comical stealthy, sneaky guy sneaking into Lady Street Fighter's room to steal a stuffed animal. He could hear the shower but didn't look into the bathroom at all where she saw him sneaking around. Sneakily.

I don't know if I want any celery after this.

2.5/10

I don't regret catching this, as it's a TCM Premiere mixed with Underground but it's the kind of movie where you need a drink with another drink as a chaser. I was far too sober for this.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ampersand said:

Lady Street Fighter (1981)

This is so amazingly bad.

Just about everything short of the music and restoration is bad. To start somewhere, I don't know if this is "acting" or not. A lot of the actors are just saying their lines, as if they're reading from a script that only they can see; devoid of emotion, heart and life itself even in moments of mortal peril. I'm not one that notices bad acting from half-competent acting but this is just so bad, past the point of cheese that exploitation movies should have. Especially this one guy, think he was the agent but his delivery is so awful. I was begging for him to stop talking. He stood out, among thick accents, sleazy 70s Bee Gees gangsters, hookers and drunken stoned togas.

The plot is about Lady Street Fighter maybe trying to figure out what happened to her sister? And some crooks trying to recover a cassette tape of their misdeeds in a stuffed animal she has. She also has a romance with an FBI agent among some fighting of what I think is kung-fu that somehow gets worse as it goes on. She gets tangled in webs of lies, 70s sleazy cats, assassins from Assassins Inc and sleazy dives. It's baffling, but it suits it, as does its conclusion. 

But almost forgot to mention a comical stealthy, sneaky guy sneaking into Lady Street Fighter's room to steal a stuffed animal. He could hear the shower but didn't look into the bathroom at all where she saw him sneaking around. Sneakily.

I don't know if I want any celery after this.

2.5/10

I don't regret catching this, as it's a TCM Premiere mixed with Underground but it's the kind of movie where you need a drink with another drink as a chaser. I was far too sober for this.

YOUR REVIEW HAS BROKEN MY HEART, I AM DEVASTATED I MISSED THIS!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

"The Wild Affair" - written and directed by John Krish - 1963, released here in 1965 -

rather trite rendering of the Christmas Office Party, except this one has an exceptionally memorable supporting cast and a starring performance from Nancy Kwan, who is absolutely charming -

MV5BN2M3ZWE3NTgtOGJiMC00MjFjLWJiYjgtNzIx

• Thanks 1

Cold Around The Heart (1997) Road Trip Neo Noir

MV5BMTU2NjI0MTc5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDk4OTcyMQ%2540%2540._V1_UY1200_CR17%252C0%252C630%252C1200_AL_.jpg

It got lost in 1997, that's year that had an impressive trifecta of Jackie BrownL.A. Confidential, and Lost Highway. The year before saw FargoHard EightMulholland Falls, and the little gem Hit Me (1996) come out. The year after Dark CityA Simple PlanThe Big Lebowski. It's an OK road flick with a bit of style and a lot of problems. No wonder nobody remembers it.

It was directed and written by John Ridley, the cinematographer was Malik Hassan Sayeed, the music was by Mason Daring.

The film stars David Caruso as Ned Tash, Kelly Lynch as Jude Law, Stacey Dash as Bec Rosenberg, Chris Noth as "T", John Spencer as Uncle Mike, Pruitt Taylor Vince as Johnny 'Cokebottles' Costello, Richard Kind as Attorney Nabbish.

The film is quite stylistic but the script is a bit whimsical with too many coincidental sequences. David Caruso is good as Ned but he and Kelly Lynch have about zero chemistry. Stacey Dash and Pruitt Taylor Vince are convincing. Chris Noth is adequate but has the least to do.

The film does have a lot of visual style too bad the rest didn't hold up. The story has been done before. The equivalent of a borderline "B" film. It uses The Turtles "So Happy Together" for  the lovers theme, 30 years late, pretty lame there too. Watch it if you can find it, 6/10

Full review with some screen caps in Film Noir/Gangster.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Bucket Of Blood (1959) Dir Roger Corman with Dick Miller as Walter Paisley  and Bert Convy as an undercover cop.  A nerdy busboy at the Yellow Door Beatnik café. is tired of being a nobody. After accidentally killing his landlady's cat, he covers it with clay and takes the sculpture to the Yellow Door becoming an overnight sensation. It's like a take on the House of Wax.

Needing more sculptures he begins getting new "posers" for his work the first being a cop who tries to bust him for having heroin. (It was a gift from a female admirer) 6/10 watchable, features some Beat poetry and folk music.

Source Kanopy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heat Lightning (1934) Mohave Desert pit stop.

From IMDb: "Olga runs a gas station, lunch counter, and auto camp with her younger sister Myra. In a 24-hour period, Olga must deal with Myra's desire to go to a town dance with a cad, the appearance by happenstance of George, an old boyfriend whose conduct is never above suspicion, and the overnight presence of two women recently divorced in Reno, who, with a chauffeur, are carrying valuable jewels. George gets wind of the jewels and plays with Olga's heartstrings to set up a robbery. Myra arranges to sneak off with her beau. It's hot, and the heat lightening is crackling on the horizon."

Watchable 6/10

Source TCM On Demand

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

LawrenceA is your TV broke or did you run out of movies to watch? :D

No, I've just been watching newer stuff for the past few weeks, and some don't appreciate those being discussed on what they view as a classic-film-only message board. So I haven't been posting capsule reviews for everything I've been watching.

However, I have posted a couple of "best and worst of the week" in this thread:

http://forums.tcm.com/topic/31219-least-most-favorite-of-the-week/?page=44

I'm wrapping up stuff I have from 2015 at the moment, and then I'll watch 2016, 2017, and 2018 stuff afterwards. I should be back to the classic era in a month or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Heat Lightning (1934) Mohave Desert pit stop.

From IMDb: "Olga runs a gas station, lunch counter, and auto camp with her younger sister Myra. In a 24-hour period, Olga must deal with Myra's desire to go to a town dance with a cad, the appearance by happenstance of George, an old boyfriend whose conduct is never above suspicion, and the overnight presence of two women recently divorced in Reno, who, with a chauffeur, are carrying valuable jewels. George gets wind of the jewels and plays with Olga's heartstrings to set up a robbery. Myra arranges to sneak off with her beau. It's hot, and the heat lightening is crackling on the horizon."

Watchable 6/10

Source TCM On Demand

I liked it better than you. I’d call it “PreCode Gas Station Chekhov.”

• Like 1