speedracer5

I Just Watched...

20,967 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I have a twisted kinky attraction to Glynis John's for some reason. I want to do something but have know idea what.  

Hold the yarn while she knits a tea cozy?

(Kinky.)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Hold the yarn while she knits a tea cozy?

(Kinky.)

It stems first from her voice in Mary Poppins (1964) and then later seeing her in The Cabinet of Caligari (1962)....

I told you it was kinky.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I have a twisted kinky attraction to Glynis John's for some reason. I want to do something but have know idea what.  

Does it involve furry pot holders and soy sauce?

6246505b9cc1067dfbc4789eadcf9335.jpg

1 minute ago, TomJH said:

Does it involve furry pot holders and soy sauce?

6246505b9cc1067dfbc4789eadcf9335.jpg

Does yours?

Just now, cigarjoe said:

Does yours?

Every day.

I haven't seen many of her flicks, if you have something to recommend?

I've only see her in stuff from the 50s & 60s

22 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I haven't seen many oF [GLYNIS JOHNS'S]  flicks, if you have something to recommend?

I've only see her in stuff from the 50s & 60s

she is in VAULT OF HORROR one of the many, many, many, maaaany AMICUS Horror Anthologies from England in the 1970's...I think it is possibly directed by ROY WARD BAKER.

The vignette in which she appears (the second one maybe?) costars TERRY-THOMAS and it is actually quite comic in tone (and it sort of works, in a weird way.)

i saw the movie on youtube and would wager it is still there....

She also has a very, very charming role in WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING (1995)

I checked imdb and she will be 96 in Oct. Amazing!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Thanks. I was thinking more of her earlier stuff.

Try Miranda (1948) and Mad About Men (1954), in both of which she plays a mermaid.

miranda-1948-glynis-johns.jpg?w=640

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Try Miranda (1948) and Mad About Men (1954), in both of which she plays a mermaid.

I remember seeing one of them, don't know which though.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

The Chapman Report?

I'll have to give that TCM recording another try. Fell asleep first try.

I was disappointed with MIRANDA, although Glynis is bee-oo-tee-ful in that photo. 

I like Gynis now too, although initially turned off by her warbley voice in Mary Poppins. I honestly think favorable/unfavorable "initial" impressions are recognized familial traits & appearances. 

23 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I was disappointed with MIRANDA, although Glynis is bee-oo-tee-ful in that photo. 

I've actually never seen either of them, but I thought Johns was cute in the photo.

Black Tuesday (1954)  -  7/10

220px-BlackTuesday.jpg

Crime drama with Edward G. Robinson as a violent gangster on death row. He orchestrates an escape that includes fellow death row inmate Peter Graves as well as some hostages. Robinson attempts to secure a way out of the country while the manhunt for him grows. Also featuring Jean Parker, Milburn Stone, Warren Stevens, Jack Kelly, Sylvia Findley, Hal Baylor, James Bell, William Schallert, and Russell Johnson. The films' low budget only accentuates the gritty tone. Robinson gets to play a real out-and-out bad guy again, which is a treat.

• Like 2

The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters (1954)  -  6/10

MV5BNTEwMjExYmMtNTY4MC00NmQzLWExNTUtNDI3

Extremely silly comedy that sees the Boys (Leo Gorcey & Huntz Hall) staying in a mansion belonging to a family of mad scientists and weirdos. Featuring series regulars Bernard Gorcey, David Gorcey, and Benny Bartlett. Also with John Dehner, Lloyd Corrigan, Ellen Corby, Laura Mason, and Paul Wexler as the Lurch-like butler Grissom. There's a guy in a gorilla suit, a carnivorous plant creature, and one of cinema's worst robots. Mixed with the usual Bowery Boys stupidity, this is a low-taste delight.

boweryboysmeetthemonsters1954.69490_0115

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

She played a mermaid in 2 FILMS???  I knew about Miranda (though I haven't seen it). That must be a record!

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

She played a mermaid in 2 FILMS???  I knew about Miranda (though I haven't seen it). That must be a record!

I believe Mad About Men is a sequel to Miranda.

Wikipedia says: Mad About Men is a 1954 Technicolor British comedy film. It was directed by Ralph Thomas and written by Peter Blackmore, who also wrote the 1948 film Miranda which preceded Mad About Men. Glynis Johns appears in both films as the mermaid Miranda.
However, Rank Films insisted it was not a sequel.

:unsure:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

I'll have to give that TCM recording another try. Fell asleep first try.

I like Gynis now too, although initially turned off by her warbley voice in Mary Poppins. I honestly think favorable/unfavorable "initial" impressions are recognized familial traits & appearances. 

The Claire Bloom storyline is the best part of the film (though it was cut for the censors) Johns has some amusing moments in hers.

5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Thanks. I was thinking more of [GLYNNIS JOHNS'S] earlier stuff [AS OPPOSED TO vault of horror (1974).

I understand, but honestly, I was taken aback by what a committed comedic performance she gives in a vignette that is something of an Ealing Short Comedy with some minor gore. Really and truly, it's worth it to check out just her 20 minute story in VAULT OF HORROR.

she's pretty damn funny and, i spoil nothing in revealing this, she murders TERRY-THOMAS.

• Thanks 1