speedracer5

I Just Watched...

20,926 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm new here so please bear with me.  I'm so glad to have somewhere to discuss TCM movies.  My family is completely sick of me trying to talk about them! ha ha!  Anyhow so some recent movies I have seen (I DVR anything I'm interested in and then watch later, so some weren't shown recently on TCM):

An American in Paris - literally the first time I've seen this (shameful, isn't it!).  Can I say I love Gene Kelly?  Not only because he is from Pittsburgh (like me!) but because I think he has one of the best smiles ever and, of course, his dancing is so amazing.   His acting and singing aren't the greatest but it gets him by, I think.  Even so, if I was Leslie Caron I would never have chosen him over Georges Guetray a.k.a Henri.  Also, I'm sure it's just me but the song and dance numbers go a little long.  I just lose patience with them after a while and fast forward.  I guess I'm not a huge song and dance fan - although some of the songs are very catchy and I do like Gershwin.  I kind of wish Henri and the lady sponsoring Gene Kelly would end up together just so no one was left alone.  Ha ha!

The Great Race - I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jack Lemmon.  He is so funny and can do some many ridiculous characters.  I think he steals every movie I've ever seen him in.  Tony Curtis is good, he's Tony Curtis seems kind of always the same but I've only seen probably three or four movies with him in so I can't judge that much.  I really like Natalie Wood as well.  One of my favorite performances of hers is Splendor in the Grass, that performance just sticks with you.  I like that she can do drama and comedy.  Again, I think it's my attention span but the movie seemed so long to me.  Parts of it were funny but to me some parts just tried to hard to be funny.  Overall, I liked it.  I don't know that I'd watch it over and over again though.  Also, I did like Peter Faulk in this movie as well.  Thought he was just as funny as Jack Lemmon in a more understated way. 

San Francisco - WOW.  This movie blew me away actually.  I'm a big fan of Spencer Tracy.  I like Clark Gable.  However, I thought Clark Gable was great in this movie.  Jeanette McDonald sings beautifully in this.  All around great and it brought  out a lot of emotion in me, especially at the end.  Super impressed all around.

Those are three I've seen recently.  I've seen TONS of movies in the last couple months and could actually write probably 40,000 words just talking about movies.  On the DVR I currently have:  Lawrence of Arabia (again, never saw, believe it or not) and Captains Courageous.  Looking forward to seeing these!

Thanks for listening!  Hope it wasn't too long and annoying!

• Like 5

So did anyone watch The High and the Mighty last night? Any reviews?

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

One of the worst things about Oscar Month is how DEADLY QUIET the boards get.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

One of the worst things about Oscar Month is how DEADLY QUIET the boards get.

LOL. The doldrums of the year. I miss Noir Alley. :(

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. The doldrums of the year. I miss Noir Alley. :(

I miss Late Night Trash.

Usually they compensate by showing some real filth in March tho, so....

7 hours ago, Fedya said:

They let a black guy make stupid mistakes?

Unfortunately, I don't think the filmmakers intended for the hero's actions to viewed as stupid or poorly thought out, that's just how they were written/presented. A really lazy script, and no one on set to say "wait a minute...this is dumb." But Overlord isn't alone in that regard.

15 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I miss Late Night Trash.

Usually they compensate by showing some real filth in March tho, so....

LOL. I wish they'd show Laura Mars again. I missed that. (too tired to stay up and no room on the dvr).

First Kill (2018)

So when did Bruce Willis stop caring?

He cared when he became a star in the mid -80s on TV's Moonlighting, and demonstrated an adept ability at both comedy and romance, with a marvelous delivery of comedy dialogue.

He cared in 1988 when he made the first Die Hard, with a performance of charm, as well as some humour, demonstrating his ability to play a more human super hero in the movies.

He cared in 1992's Death Becomes Her when he was cast against type as a wimpy little man who gets in over his head in this bizarre surreal black comedy.

He cared when he made Pulp Fiction in '94 (even though he was overshadowed in the reviews by Travalta and Jackson), as well as the first two Die Hards followups (though neither film was remotely as good as the original). He cared in 1999's The Sixth Sense when he delivered a highly effective understated performance as a child psychiatrist, and he was still caring as late as 2006 when he played an alcoholic, pot bellied cop approaching retirement in the thriller 16 Blocks.

But some time after that Willis stop caring and just started going for the pay cheques, often in small supporting roles, falling back more times than not on macho monosyllabic performances.

First Kill is another action thriller with Willis in support, this time as a small town sheriff investigating the case of a cop killed and a man (Hayden Christensen) whose son is kidnapped by a criminal looking for a key (to a locker full of stolen loot) in exchange for the return of that son.

There is worse than First Kill. Willis has been in many of them, other low rent action flicks like Catch .44 (in which he was a real low life criminal), The Prince, Vice and Fire With Fire. Recently he was in a remake (which I haven't seen) of Death Wish which didn't have much of a critical reaction.

First Kill is yet another film that showcases the sad decline of an actor once capable of giving effective performances (his John McClane portrayal in the first Die Hard remains quite extraordinary) into a human cash register interested only in the money and to hell with a film legacy.

MV5BMjkzNTdhNzAtNjFmNC00M2FiLWE3NDYtZTc2

2 out of 4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Black Tent (1956)  -  6/10

61W5hlM2+vL._SY445_.jpg

Dull British WWII drama. Donald Sinden searches for his brother Anthony Steel, who disappeared during the Africa campaign in WWII. We see via flashbacks how Steel joined with a Bedouin tribe to fight off the Nazis, while also falling for the beautiful daughter (Anna Maria Sandri) of the tribal chieftain (Andre Morell). Also featuring Donald Pleasence, Terence Sharkey, Anthony Bushell, Michael Craig, and Anton Diffring. There's some nice location scenery (it was shot in Libya), and the costumes are nice, but the pacing is slow and the story uninspired. Sandri is nice looking, if limited in acting talent, and Steel is as bland as usual. Pleasence is amusing as an Arab camel trader and desert guide.

• Thanks 1

I like this a little better than you did, Lawrence--maybe 7/10 rather than 6/10, not a huge difference. Maybe it's the location shooting in Libya. I seem to recall a scene where the German tanks and Bedouins on camels are racing to a Roman ruin, one of those poetic moments that sometimes occur in less than great films. Anthony Steel, a very handsome man, was one of Joan Collins' husbands.

Congo Crossing (1956)  -  5/10

Congo-Crossing-1956.jpg

Jungle adventure with George Nader as a surveyor trying to map the borders of the Belgian Congo. Along for the ride are fugitive Virginia Mayo and killer Michael Pate. Also featuring Peter Lorre as the local police chief, Rex Ingram as a doctor, Tonio Stewart, Kathryn Givney, Tudor Owen, and Raymond Bailey. Sun-drenched color hokum, with Nader and Mayo both displaying their physiques. There's also malaria, a crocodile attack, Peter Lorre sitting on a chair made from an elephant skull, and Mayo getting knocked out by a shoe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingrat said:

I like this a little better than you did, Lawrence--maybe 7/10 rather than 6/10, not a huge difference. Maybe it's the location shooting in Libya. I seem to recall a scene where the German tanks and Bedouins on camels are racing to a Roman ruin, one of those poetic moments that sometimes occur in less than great films. Anthony Steel, a very handsome man, was one of Joan Collins' husbands.

Oh, I didnt realize he was married to Collins. Joan has good taste! Wish TCM would show more of Anthony Steele. Brit eye candy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Congo Crossing (1956)  -  5/10

Congo-Crossing-1956.jpg

Jungle adventure with George Nader as a surveyor trying to map the borders of the Belgian Congo. Along for the ride are fugitive Virginia Mayo and killer Michael Pate. Also featuring Peter Lorre as the local police chief, Rex Ingram as a doctor, Tonio Stewart, Kathryn Givney, Tudor Owen, and Raymond Bailey. Sun-drenched color hokum, with Nader and Mayo both displaying their physiques. There's also malaria, a crocodile attack, Peter Lorre sitting on a chair made from an elephant skull, and Mayo getting knocked out by a shoe. 

KONGOTANGA? Dont think a place like that exists.

• Thanks 1

A Cry in the Night (1956)  -  6/10

220px-Cry_in_the_night_1956_poster_small

Thriller featuring Raymond Burr as an unstable man-child who kidnaps Natalie Wood. Her cop father Edmond O'Brien, along with fellow cop Brian Donlevy and Natalie's boyfriend Richard Anderson, desperately search for her, while she tries to reason with Burr before he does something drastic. Also with Irene Hervey, Carol Veazie, Mary Lawrence, Peter Hanson, and Anthony Caruso. I've seen this kind of story a hundred times (it's on every other cop show each week, as well), so any enjoyment was dependent on the film's style and cast. The former, unfortunately, is pedestrian and uninspired. The cast makes it passable, though, with strong work by Burr. I had to chuckle at the scene early in the film when Burr bashes Anderson in the head. I'll think of it the next time I see any of the Perry Mason reruns featuring the two of them. The poster above is rather sleazy.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Guilty. I don't mind Oscar month that much because I can catch up on some movies I haven't

seen in a while, like Mighty High. I haven't seen it in ten years or so. I go with what I have

read as the consensus--kind of corny but still entertaining. It is a bit on the long side. One

mystery--did the newlyweds sitting in the front of the plane actually get it on when it seems

the plane might have to ditch in the ocean? You see them start to move toward the floor

and then a cut to another part of cabin. Hmmm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

GREAT DRAG NAME THO!

LMREO!!!! Save that for next Halloween!

18 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

One mystery--did the newlyweds sitting in the front of the plane actually get it on when it seems

the plane might have to ditch in the ocean? You see them start to move toward the floor

and then a cut to another part of cabin. Hmmm.

Yes. They became the first members of The High and the Mighty Mile High Club.

• Haha 1

Iron Man (1951) Jeff Chandler, Evelyn Keyes, Stephen McNally. 

Jeff Chandler is Iron Man, boxer Coke Mason. Paradoxically, Coke is not an iron worker, but a

Pennsylvania coal miner who is good with his fists. Thus he decides to leave the polluted dirty

coal mines for the clean and fresh air of the boxing arena. Due to some psychological quirk,

Coke becomes an ANIMAL in the ring whenever he is humiliated, which earns him a rep as

a "dirty" fighter.  His one goal in life is to earn enough dough to...open a radio store in Philly.

Evelyn Keyes plays his medium-suffering girlfriend and McNally is his older brother and manager.

Rock Hudson has a supporting role as Coke's friend and early sparring partner, Speed. You don't

have to have a crystal ball to see that the grand finale will feature a bout between Coke and Speed.

Coke is the defending champion, despite his use of an extreme low crouch that has him being

hit repeatedly in the forehead by his opponents. Rock wins the match, but Coke Mason comes

away with the life lesson of, well something about not being such an egotistical jackass. We

never do find out if Coke did open that big radio store. This flick is not in the same weight class

as Champion or Body and Soul, but if boxing movies are your thing it's fairly entertaining, since

most of these boxing films have the same general plot. [A number of wags in the YT comment

section had fun with the idea of a boxing match between gay Rock Hudson and supposed cross

dresser Jeff Chandler. One Hollywood actress has come to Jeff's defense, saying that Chandler

was all man from the tip of his ostrich plum hat down to his open toed high heels.] There is

no connection between this film and the Black Sabbath song of the same name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

A Cry in the Night (1956)  -  6/10

220px-Cry_in_the_night_1956_poster_small

Thriller featuring Raymond Burr as an unstable man-child who kidnaps Natalie Wood. Her cop father Edmond O'Brien, along with fellow cop Brian Donlevy and Natalie's boyfriend Richard Anderson, desperately search for her, while she tries to reason with Burr before he does something drastic. Also with Irene Hervey, Carol Veazie, Mary Lawrence, Peter Hanson, and Anthony Caruso. I've seen this kind of story a hundred times (it's on every other cop show each week, as well), so any enjoyment was dependent on the film's style and cast. The former, unfortunately, is pedestrian and uninspired. The cast makes it passable, though, with strong work by Burr. I had to chuckle at the scene early in the film when Burr bashes Anderson in the head. I'll think of it the next time I see any of the Perry Mason reruns featuring the two of them. The poster above is rather sleazy.

Weren't all posters for similar movies from this period sleazy?  Just like the covers on pulp fiction books.  I have been watching the Honey West TV series and Irene Hervey is one of the three main actors.  I think she plays Honey's aunt(?), but sort of takes care of the office/home where Honey lives.

6 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Weren't all posters for similar movies from this period sleazy?  Just like the covers on pulp fiction books.  

I thought it was amusing that the poster implicates Wood as being responsible for Burr kidnapping her. "How did she fall this far?" instead of something more accurate like "She was held in the clutches of a sex-crazed mama's boy!" A nice bit of period-appropriate victim shaming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

Since this occurred toward the end of the flight they might not have been high enough

(altitude wise) to join the mile high club. Then again, maybe they were just bending over

to pick up their bags of spilled peanuts. 

46 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

LMREO!!!

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

A radio store? Aim high!

Yep. You'd think he at least would have tried for a TV store.