speedracer5

I Just Watched...

21,475 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. MAMIE for SOTM!!!!

Because of TCM, I now like Mamie Van Doren better than Mamie Eisenhower!  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. MAMIE for SOTM!!!!

Oh, I watched Tomorrow the World over the wknd. "Skippy" Homier was so awful. WHERE did his accent come from???? You must've meant Betty Field, not Bonita Granville? Bonita was in  Hitler's Children. And that sappy happy ending. GAG.

Yes, yes, BETTY FIELD- I corrected myself in the review which I posted a few days back, it’s probably three or four pages down in the thread.

1 minute ago, midwestan said:

Because of TCM, I now like Mamie Van Doren better than Mamie Eisenhower!  

LOL. According to Van Doren she took her first name from Mamie E. :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

That is actually from JACK FROST, which is one of my favorite, favorite MST eps ever.

They did four Russo-Finnish "fairy tales" during the run of MST: THE DAY THE EARTH FROZE, SINBAD THE SAILOR, JACK FROST, and THE SWORD AND THE DRAGON.

(Errata: "The Magic Voyage of Sinbad", which was actually the Russian fairytale of Sadko, hence the jokes about why "Sinbad" dresses like Peter the Great.)

my favorite part is when the evil witch steals the mythical SAMPO (some kind of contraption that makes gold and salt out of thin air, and that's it) and is using it and she turns to her excited troll minions and Crow says "WHO'S HUNGRY FOR SALT?!?"

Us (2019)  -  7/10

220px-Us_(2019)_theatrical_poster.png

Horror thriller from writer-producer-director Jordan Peele about a normal, middle-class family, including dad Winston Duke, mom Lupita Nyong'o, daughter Shahadi Wright Joseph, and son Evan Alex, who are menaced one night by their doppelgangers, mysterious duplicates wearing red coveralls and brandishing golden scissors. As they struggle to survive, the nature of the threat is slowly revealed. Also featuring Elisabeth Moss, Tim Heidecker, Anna Diop, and Yahya Abdul-Mahteen II. Peele abandons the social commentary present in his previous hit Get Out, instead focusing on the dark fantasy trappings of a straight-up fright film, shot through with a welcome dose of humor. The screenplay telegraphs the story's twists a bit too loudly, so there were no real surprises for me, but it was well made, with very good performances from Nyong'o and Duke.

• Like 1

Hannibal (1959)  -  5/10

220px-Hannibal_(1959_film).jpg

Italian historical epic with Victor Mature as the title Carthaginian, who wars again and again with Rome. He also finds time for romance with Roman gal Rita Gam. Also featuring Gabriele Ferzetti, Milly Vitale, Rik Battaglia, Franco Silva, Andrea Aureli, Terence Hill, and Bud Spencer. Edgar Ulmer gets the directing credit, although it was also helmed by Carlo Ludovico Bragaglia. Ulmer claims Warner Brothers chopped the film into garbage for its American release, so maybe the directors aren't at fault for this lackluster effort. There's very little momentum to script, nor any well-drawn characters. Some scenes have an eye for period grandeur, while others look like a high school drama production. It was interesting to see Terence Hill and Bud Spencer in this film, their first together, although they share no scenes.

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Hannibal (1959)  -  5/10

220px-Hannibal_(1959_film).jpg

Italian historical epic with Victor Mature as the title Carthaginian, who wars again and again with Rome. He also finds time for romance with Roman gal Rita Gam. Also featuring Gabriele Ferzetti, Milly Vitale, Rik Battaglia, Franco Silva, Andrea Aureli, Terence Hill, and Bud Spencer. Edgar Ulmer gets the directing credit, although it was also helmed by Carlo Ludovico Bragaglia. Ulmer claims Warner Brothers chopped the film into garbage for its American release, so maybe the directors aren't at fault for this lackluster effort. There's very little momentum to script, nor any well-drawn characters. Some scenes have an eye for period grandeur, while others look like a high school drama production. It was interesting to see Terence Hill and Bud Spencer in this film, their first together, although they share no scenes.

Did it show the Elephants cutting through the Alps? LOL.

"Wild Oranges" from 1924 as directed by King Vidor.

The film was about fear, distaste, repulsion and attraction. Great visuals and with Frank Mayo, Ford Sterling, who I've hardly ever seen in films but is in my silent film book, and Virginia Valli. A very fascinating movie with tinted film and some frightening settings.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. MAMIE for SOTM!!!!

Mamie was always my favorite of the Marilyn Monroe types. Unlike Marilyn or Jayne Mansfield who played it naive and innocent. There was nothing innocent about Mamie, she was sexy and seductive and she knew it and used it.

Image result for mamie van doren high school confidential

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Did it show the Elephants cutting through the Alps? LOL.

That's how the movie begins! Poor elephants. :(

4 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Mamie was always my favorite of the Marilyn Monroe types. Unlike Marilyn or Jayne Mansfield who played it naive and innocent. There was nothing innocent about Mamie, she was sexy and seductive and she knew it and used it.

She has a line in Guns Girls and Gangsters - "Give me some room, fellas. I take deep breaths." :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

LOL. Those bullet bras certainly helped!

She turned 88 this year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

She has a line in Guns Girls and Gangsters - "Give me some room, fellas. I take deep breaths." :lol:

LMREO!!!

11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That's how the movie begins! Poor elephants. :(

I guess it goes downhill from there. LOL.

54 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Careful, you could poke someone's eye out with those.

The Headless Ghost (1959)  -  3/10

220px-HeadlessGhost.jpg

Dreadful British comedy about three young tourists (Richard Lyon, Liliane Sottane, and David Rose) who stay after closing at a castle said to be haunted. They encounter spectral apparitions that emerge from the portraits of the place's former occupants, including one who has literally lost his head. Also featuring Clive Revill, Jack Allen, and Alexander Archdale. This is terrible unfunny and a complete waste of everyone's time, especially the viewer. This was quickly churned out to be on a double-bill with Horrors of the Black Museum. The producers even had a novelty record produced to tie in with the films.

22 hours ago, Swithin said:

I saw Ambrosine Phillpotts on stage once. Many years ago at the Savoy Theatre, in a play called A Ghost on Tiptoe. Robert Morley played a man who thinks he's dying, so he wears a pink suit and prances about. That's all I remember about it. I think in the end he lives, sort of like Ralph Kramden in the arterial monochromia episode.

In any case, the play had a great cast. It was my first visit to the beautiful Savoy Theatre.

2014GY4472.jpg

Yes, it had to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Look how far back her head is on her shoulders looks deformed or like she's arching her back, compare her to the other woman.....

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Green Mansions (1959)  -  5/10

225209608.jpg

Anthony Perkins stars as a man escaping from revolutionary violence by entering the South American jungle. He encounters natives led by Sessue Hayakawa and his son Henry Silva, before meeting the mysterious Rima (Audrey Hepburn), a seeming innocent who is in communion with the natural world all around them. As Tony and Rima begin a tentative romance, they meet resistance both from the natives and ornery old man Lee J. Cobb, who also lives nearby. Featuring Nehemiah Persoff and Michael Pate. This was directed by Hepburn's then-husband Mel Ferrer. The film uses a lot of bad process shots that repeatedly took me out of the action. I also didn't much care for Perkins' character. The movie's just off-beat enough to generate a cult following, I would guess.

It's an unforgettable jungle romance - and completely faithful to the original novel.

The film had to be shot on the MGM soundstages - but the process shots are well-woven into the visuals.

It's a truly haunting film.

There has never been a jungle romance like it.

Speaking of Robert Morley plays, I watched Edward, My Son last week.  Spencer Tracy is slightly miscast even though he played some heels in his early days at Fox.  Deborah Kerr obviously got bad direction, because once her character becomes an alcoholic Kerr goes hilariously over the top, which the movie doesn't (or shouldn't) call for.

6/10.

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Actually, in that particular photo, I would say that Mamie is using them.

• Haha 2

I Mobster (1959)  -  6/10

220px-I-Mobster-poster.jpg

Crime drama that charts the rise and fall of mobster Joe Sante (Steve Cochran). Featuring Lita Milan as the good girl he loves, Robert Strauss as his underworld mentor, Celia Lovsky as his old-world mother, Lili St. Cyr as a stripper, Grant Withers, Yvette Vickers, John Brinkley, Frank Gerstle, Robert Shayne, Ed Nelson, and Bruno VeSota as "Bruno". This is one of producer-director Roger Corman's more polished outings. This was the final film of former leading man Withers, who committed suicide at age 54 (he looks 15 years older here) a month after the movie's release. 

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Look how far back her head is on her shoulders looks deformed or like she's arching her back, compare her to the other woman.....

That 'other woman' is Jan Sterling from High School Confidential. 

I wonder what Jan is thinking?   Could it be:  "hey,  only 7 years or so ago,  I might have been the one asked to dress like that!".

6513cc8f-e3c6-417d-89b1-2b44526976d4_1.f8cd4df16282f3d6681c8411236570d4.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

• Haha 1

I can't believe the bras that must have created those figures!  An engineer must have created them.

Jack the Ripper (1959)  -  6/10

hqdefault.jpg

British thriller very loosely based on the real events of 1888. American detective Sam Lowry (Lee Patterson) teams with Scotland Yard inspector O'Neill (Eddie Byrne) to try and catch the infamous murderer terrorizing London. Also featuring Betty McDowall, Ewen Solon, John Le Mesurier, George Rose, Anne Sharp, Denis Shaw, Esma Cannon, and Bill Shine. The film doesn't make any pretense at being historically accurate, but it's still an entertaining period-piece thriller with good production values.