speedracer5

I Just Watched...

21,428 posts in this topic

Hotline (1982)  -  5/10

250px-Hotline_VHS_cover.jpg

TV-movie thriller with Lynda Carter as a bartender who takes a second job working at a crisis hotline center. There she becomes the target of a mysterious killer who leaves breathless messages to her, promising to "get" her. Steve Forrest, Monte Markham, Granville Van Dusen, James Reynolds, James Booth, and Harry Waters Jr. are suspects, while Joy Garrett, Julian Fellowes, and Frank Stallone also make appearances. Marginally entertaining, but eminently predictable. Of note to those wondering if Julian Fellowes ever made a movie with Frank Stallone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, shutoo said:

Do you mean Mad Youth (39) that's on the watch tcm app now?  it's Betty Compson gone bad, and has one of the most bizarre party scenes I've ever seen:  everyone is jitterbugging and playing strip poker, and suddenly this girl comes out in a shiny majorette get-up and starts twirling the baton..so very strange.  Bad mom's hired gigolo falls for daughter, turns out to be only sensible one in the bunch.

YES!

*Love* your description, I agree 100%, and oops, Yes I did mess up the title (But in my defense it is kind of a generic title)

On 3/25/2019 at 5:23 PM, Hibi said:

LOL. Those bullet bras certainly helped!

She turned 88 this year.

Yes, I knew she was still around, one of my art group buddies is friends with her. I just tried looking at her webpage and it's down, only her FB page is still around-take a look: https://www.facebook.com/mamie.vandoren

She seems like a very sweet person and obviously took good care of herself. Sadly, she still puts a lot of focus on showing her body, while she has a truly caring personality & obviously very sharp mind.

In the 60's my female relatives would actually SEW DARTS in their bras to get them even more pointy!

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Hotline (1982)  -  5/10

250px-Hotline_VHS_cover.jpg

TV-movie thriller with Lynda Carter as a bartender who takes a second job working at a crisis hotline center. There she becomes the target of a mysterious killer who leaves breathless messages to her, promising to "get" her. Steve Forrest, Monte Markham, Granville Van Dusen, James Reynolds, James Booth, and Harry Waters Jr. are suspects, while Joy Garrett, Julian Fellowes, and Frank Stallone also make appearances. Marginally entertaining, but eminently predictable. Of note to those wondering if Julian Fellowes ever made a movie with Frank Stallone.

Wait a minute, is this the same Julian Fellowes of DOWNTON ABBEY/ GOSFORD PARK?!?!

11 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Riot in Juvenile Prison (1959)  -  4/10

220px-Riot_in_Juvenile_Prison_poster.jpg

Scott Marlowe is quickly becoming one of my least favorite actors. 

img-73101-med.gif

"I wouldn't mind meeting this Scott Marlowe varmint."

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Yes, I knew she was still around, one of my art group buddies is friends with her. I just tried looking at her webpage and it's down, only her FB page is still around-take a look: https://www.facebook.com/mamie.vandoren

She seems like a very sweet person and obviously took good care of herself. Sadly, she still puts a lot of focus on showing her body, while she has a truly caring personality & obviously very sharp mind.

In the 60's my female relatives would actually SEW DARTS in their bras to get them even more pointy!

LOL!

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Wait a minute, is this the same Julian Fellowes of DOWNTON ABBEY/ GOSFORD PARK?!?!

It sure is. I knew he'd been a working actor for many years before breaking big with Gosford Park, but I was still surprised to see him in a Lynda Carter TV-movie.

45 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

It sure is. I knew he'd been a working actor for many years before breaking big with Gosford Park, but I was still surprised to see him in a Lynda Carter TV-movie.

Hahahahahahahahaha. 

I remember watching a documentary on Downton Abbey, and the actress who plays the housekeeper referred to him as “Lord Julian” and it spoke VOLUMES. 

I’m sure His Lorship was most DISpleased on seeing it

Santa Claus (1959)  -  2/10 or 9/10

220px-SantaMoviePoster.jpg

Hallucinatory Mexican children's fantasy featuring Santa Claus (Jose Elias Moreno), who lives in his golden castle which floats in a geosynchronous orbit in outer space above the North pole, battling against demon Pitch (Jose Luis Aguirre), tasked by Satan with turning all the world's children evil. And it just gets weirder, from Santa using a variety of mystical devices to also utilizing child slave labor to build his toys, all while surveilling them with his magic piano/video screen. This is another Mexican wonder presented to American children by K. Gordon Murray, dubbed and made just a touch more insane in the process. Truly a wonder to behold, and a strong recommendation to viewers who enjoy the strangest cinema the world has to offer.

pitchsanta.png

• Like 3

T-Bird Gang (1959)  -  3/10

220px-T-Bird_Gang_FilmPoster.jpeg

Shoddy crime drama with dead-eyed John Lindsey as an angry young man who infiltrates a criminal organization run by Ed Nelson. The gang killed Lindsey's security guard father during one of their heists, and Lindsey wants revenge. Also featuring Tony Miller, Pat George, Nola Thorp, Beach Dickerson, Vic Tayback, and Coleman Francis. From producer Roger Corman, this has bad lightning, a weak script (by stars Lindsey and Miller), and weird direction. Nelson is mildly amusing as the vicious gang boss, but I was most pleased by the presence of Coleman Francis as the police chief contact of Lindsey. Francis would shortly gain cinema immortality as the writer, director and narrator of The Beast of Yucca Flats.

Below is a publicity still for the film featuring Jack Nicholson (second from left), who doesn't actually appear in the movie.

T_Bird_Gang_photo__13342.1461714182.1280

Ten Seconds to Hell (1959)  -  6/10

TSfH_poster.jpg

Post-WWII drama from director Robert Aldrich. A sextet of former German soldiers are tasked by the occupying Allied authority with defusing undetonated ordinance scattered throughout the demolished city of Berlin. Starring Jack Palance, Jeff Chandler, Robert Cornthwaite, Wesley Addy, Dave Willock, Jim Goodwin, Virginia Baker, Richard Wattis, Nancy Lee, and Martine Carol. Aldrich later stated that the film company edited out over a half hour from the film before release, which may explain the narrative issues, including poor pacing and character development. I also would have liked more emphasis on the bomb work and less on the half-baked romantic triangle involving Palance, Carol, and Chandler.

17 hours ago, shutoo said:

it's Betty Compson gone bad, and has one of the most bizarre party scenes I've ever seen: 

Have you seen the baby party at the beginning of the 1931 Joe E. Brown movie Broadminded?

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2019 at 4:08 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Image result for mamie van doren high school confidential

TV trays? We never need 'em.

• Haha 1

Just now, Vautrin said:

LOL!

32 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Ten Seconds to Hell (1959)  -  6/10

TSfH_poster.jpg

Post-WWII drama from director Robert Aldrich. A sextet of former German soldiers are tasked by the occupying Allied authority with defusing undetonated ordinance scattered throughout the demolished city of Berlin. Starring Jack Palance, Jeff Chandler, Robert Cornthwaite, Wesley Addy, Dave Willock, Jim Goodwin, Virginia Baker, Richard Wattis, Nancy Lee, and Martine Carol. Aldrich later stated that the film company edited out over a half hour from the film before release, which may explain the narrative issues, including poor pacing and character development. I also would have liked more emphasis on the bomb work and less on the half-baked romantic triangle involving Palance, Carol, and Chandler.

This was about my take when I saw it. It has a promising beginning, and the bomb-defusing scenes are fairly gripping. You wonder who is going to be around at the end of the film. But things are a bit erratic, probably due to the cuts. Too bad. This could have been a lot better. Oh, and Jeff Chandler still sounds like Cochise.

The 30 Foot Bride of Candy Rock (1959)  - 5/10

220px-Thirtyfootbride.jpg

Goofy comedy that proved to be the final film of Lou Costello. He plays a small town trash collector and amateur scientist. He marries the niece (Dorothy Provine) of the town big shot (Gale Gordon) after she's exposed to radioactive fumes and grows to 30 feet in height. Much wackiness ensues. Also featuring Jimmy Conlin, Charles Lane, Robert Burton, and Will Wright. Broad, harmless humor with a lot of endearingly quaint special effects. I thought of Nipkow while watching this, of course, and wonder if he enjoys 30 foot women as much as 50 foot ones.

p4724_i_h12_ab.jpg?d=270x360&q=50

• Like 1

This Earth Is Mine (1959)  -  6/10

220px-This_Earth_Is_Mine_-_Film_Poster.j

Melodrama about the Rambeau family of the Napa Valley wine country, a grape-growing dynasty that struggles to survive during Prohibition. Family patriarch Claude Rains tries to retain the family honor and dignity, but firebrand son Rock Hudson is determined to do whatever it takes to succeed, even if it's illegal. A visit from moody English cousin Jean Simmons causes even more trouble as she draws the attention of Hudson. Also featuring Dorothy McGuire, Cindy Robbins, Anna Lee, Kent Smith, Augusta Merighi, Alberto Morin, Ken Scott, and Peter Chong. The convoluted family tree was never really clear to me, so I wasn't quite sure who was related to who, and how. The movie also dances around a lot of taboo subjects, like "spoiled women" and out-of-wedlock children. Robbins, who receives an "introducing" credit despite having appeared in several earlier films including I Was a Teenage Werewolf, earned a Golden Globe nomination for Best Newcomer. She plays a "low born" vineyard worker who ends up in the "family way" thanks to a casual dalliance. This was the final available film of Claude Rains' that I had not seen, and he's as good as usual.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The 30 Foot Bride of Candy Rock (1959)  - 5/10

220px-Thirtyfootbride.jpg

Goofy comedy that proved to be the final film of Lou Costello. He plays a small town trash collector and amateur scientist. He marries the niece (Dorothy Provine) of the town big shot (Gale Gordon) after she's exposed to radioactive fumes and grows to 30 feet in height.

It's not a great movie, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a lot more FUN to watch than that, ahem...other retooled bit of Joan-Crawford-wannabe hysteria that had a flying saucer jammed out of nowhere into its third script-doctoring.  And Provine with big backscreens and little props is one significant reason why.  ;)

Even before Abbott & Costello broke up after "Dance With Me, Henry", Lou was trying to fashion himself as more and more of a "family-man" comic with an interest in children's charity and trying to gear himself as a kid-friendly star.  This wouldn't be his first attempt to crack into a "kiddy-matinee" market (that would be the A&C "Jack & the Beanstalk"), but it shows he wouldn't have floundered as a solo act if he'd had more of the chance.

Vice Raid (1959) -  5/10

220px-Viceraid1.jpg

It's fitting that I close out my 1959 movie watching the same way it began: with Mamie Van Doren. This time she plays a model who works for racketeer Brad Dexter. After she helps him frame up vice cop Richard Coogan (from Captain Video), she gets torn between the revenge-seeking cop and the big-money Dexter. Also featuring Barry Atwater, Frank Gerstle, Carol Nugent, Joseph Sullivan, Chris Alcaide, and Nestor Paiva. This isn't quite as outrageous at her four other 1959 films, but it has its moments. Watching Captain Video repeatedly refer to women as "pigs" is certainly memorable. Mamie looks good and gets to sneer and roll her eyes at creepy Barry Atwater. 

• Like 1

The Loch Ness Horror (1982)  -  2/10

220px-LochNessHorror.jpg

Another cinematic travesty from writer-producer-director Larry Buchanan (Zontar, the Thing from Venus). Various characters, including an American scientist (Larry's son Barry Buchanan), a Scottish scientist (Sandy Kenyon), an old Scottish eccentric (Doc Livingston) who took the famous blurry Nessie photo, and his granddaughter (Miki McKenzie), search for the fabled creature that lives in a lake in Scotland. There's also some nonsense about a British government cover-up of a Nazi warplane in the loch back in 1940. Also featuring Eric Scott, Karie-Louis Scott, Preston Hanson, and Stuart Lancaster. The movie once again demonstrates Buchanan's ability to imbue any film with a lack of pacing, credible acting, or convincing special effects. All shot on location at Lake Tahoe. The big fake Nessie was later reused in Amazon Women on the Moon.

lochnesshorror005.jpg?fit=416,317&ssl=1

• Thanks 1

No wonder most people don't believe there really is a Loch Ness Monster. Just look at that photo. Nessie keeps a head of people.

Hey, come on, it wasn't that bad!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought of Nipkow while watching this, of course, and wonder if he enjoys 30 foot women as much as 50 foot ones.

Isn't it funny how this board can seep into your real life? 

I once took a photo of a car dealership called DOAN and had to explain why to MrTiki.

Another cinematic travesty from writer-producer-director Larry Buchanan (snipped) The movie once again demonstrates Buchanan's ability to imbue any film with a lack of pacing, credible acting, or convincing special effects. 

Thanks for slogging through these, I typically turn them off 15-25 minutes in. I love your succinct scathing comments.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vautrin said:

before tv trays: 😄 7a77b52f32d3d3b0fd369305cd99fa2b.jpg

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, shutoo said:

before tv trays: 😄 7a77b52f32d3d3b0fd369305cd99fa2b.jpg

LMREO!!!

12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

220px-LochNessHorror.jpg

Another cinematic travesty from writer-producer-director Larry Buchanan (Zontar, the Thing from Venus). Various characters, including an American scientist (Larry's son Barry Buchanan), a Scottish scientist (Sandy Kenyon), an old Scottish eccentric (Doc Livingston) who took the famous blurry Nessie photo, and his granddaughter (Miki McKenzie), search for the fabled creature that lives in a lake in Scotland. There's also some nonsense about a British government cover-up of a Nazi warplane in the loch back in 1940. Also featuring Eric Scott, Karie-Louis Scott, Preston Hanson, and Stuart Lancaster. The movie once again demonstrates Buchanan's ability to imbue any film with a lack of pacing, credible acting, or convincing special effects. All shot on location at Lake Tahoe. The big fake Nessie was later reused in Amazon Women on the Moon.

Lake TAHOE???? He has nice hands. (I have a thing about hands and feet)