speedracer5

I Just Watched...

21,495 posts in this topic

I just finished watching all 21 films of Deanna Durbin. The first ten films were the best.  Her film career peaked at the age of 19 for her.  Ironically, the last film on this list was her best.

Three Smart Girls (1936)
One Hundred Men and a Girl
Mad About Music
That Certain Age
Three Smart Girls Grow Up
First Love 
It's a Date
Spring Parade
Nice Girl?
It Started with Eve (1941)

"Deanna Durbin is the only actress in motion picture history to have ten hits in a row. The first ten were both artistic and financial successes"

http://www.fabulousfilmsongs.com/deanna-durbin-femme-fatal/

tumblr-owi1i0-Ri-Ta1v7xjnoo1-500.gif

• Thanks 1

Midnight (1982)  -  3/10

220px-Midnight-1980s-film-poster.jpg

A teenage runaway (Melanie Verlin) is terrorized by rural devil worshipers. Her drunk cop stepdad (Lawrence Tierney) comes looking for her. Also featuring John Amplas, John Hall, Charles Jackson, David Marchick, Greg Besnak, and Robin Walsh. This very low budget horror flick was filmed in Pennsylvania by John Russo, the co-writer of Night of the Living Dead. He uses some of George Romero's regulars, like actor Amplas and makeup effects man Tom Savini. It's all pretty ugly and boring, although Tierney excels as a thuggish lout. Also released as Backwoods Massacre.

• Thanks 1

Deadly Lessons (1983)  -  6/10

hqdefault.jpg

Decent TV-movie mystery-thriller, with Diane Franklin as the new student at an exclusive all-girls school located out in the country. Before she can settle in, a series of murders begins, and while local police detective Larry Wilcox is on the case, Franklin decides to try and solve it herself. Also featuring Donna Reed as the stern headmistress, Ally Sheedy, Renee Jones, Deena Freeman, Vicki Kriegler, David Ackroyd, Robin Gammell, Ellen Geer, Donald Hotton, Rick Rossovich, Nancy Cartwright, and Bill Paxton. They pile on the suspects so thick that it's hard to suss out the culprit too quickly. There are also several future notables in the cast, including Bill Paxton as a nice-guy stable hand, future soap star Renee Jones, Brat-Packer Ally Sheedy, and Nancy "voice of Bart Simpson" Cartwright. This was the last movie for Donna Reed, who made some more episodic TV appearances before passing in 1986.

I didn't see any mention of THE PROWLER (1951) from TCM's premiere a few months ago. I finally got around to watching it after the first try had playback errors. And boy, was I glad I did, it turned out to be a really fun movie.

This is a 50's noir at it's best- a corrupt cop and a married woman falling in love and how they cleverly/stupidly try to get away with cheating instead of facing it. Van Heflin (character: Webb Garwood (!) and Evelyn Keyes (character: Susan Gilvray) are the principles in this, and in my opinion both shine in their performances. Heflin is intense, you can feel his heat. Keyes is uniquely lovely and what a joy to see her in a fully fleshed, complicated role rather than her typical supporting/set dressing roles. Keys plays confused and determined emotions deftly enough to bring us along with her, while Heflin sinks into manipulative cowardice. A few times, even the viewer is uncertain if either character even knows what they are doing, which greatly adds to the tension of the story.

Along similar lines as many other noirs, Webb Garwood decides to eliminate the husband....but under the shield of law enforcement. Rather than being happy, the newly single Susan Gilvray is now confused about her feelings and slimy Heflin convinces her all is well, he is her knight in shining armor. Predictably, there is an overlooked element pointing to their guilt and at first you think they may have this snag handled. The climax of the story is exciting and kept me on the edge of my seat...all told in a succinct 90 minutes!

The moody cinematography was outstanding, as was the snappy dialogue, but it was really the outstanding performances of the two principles that made this a really fun movie to watch.

220px-TheProwler'1951.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Midnight (1982)  -  3/10

220px-Midnight-1980s-film-poster.jpg

A teenage runaway (Melanie Verlin) is terrorized by rural devil worshipers. Her drunk cop stepdad (Lawrence Tierney) comes looking for her. Also featuring John Amplas, John Hall, Charles Jackson, David Marchick, Greg Besnak, and Robin Walsh. This very low budget horror flick was filmed in Pennsylvania by John Russo, the co-writer of Night of the Living Dead. He uses some of George Romero's regulars, like actor Amplas and makeup effects man Tom Savini. It's all pretty ugly and boring, although Tierney excels as a thuggish lout. Also released as Backwoods Massacre.

A sober Lawrence Tierney is frightening enough. But a drunk one . . . I hate to think how many would have to change their under pants after contemplating such an encounter.

alton-benes-the-jacket-seinfeld-4.jpg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, noah80 said:

I just finished watching all 21 films of Deanna Durbin. The first ten films were the best.  Her film career peaked at the age of 19 for her.  Ironically, the last film on this list was her best.

I'm watching I'll Be Yours as I'm reading your post (eerie, eh?)  cute remake of The Good Fairy.   I really enjoyed her 'lesser' films His Butler's Sister and Lady on a Train...she shows a nice comic flair in both.

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

This very low budget horror flick was filmed in Pennsylvania

Makes me wonder if Pennsylvania ranks #1 in zombies as a % of population..could make an interesting ad campaign..'what dies in Pennsylvania doesn't stay dead'..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, noah80 said:

Three Smart Girls (1936)
One Hundred Men and a Girl
Mad About Music
That Certain Age
Three Smart Girls Grow Up
First Love 
It's a Date
Spring Parade
Nice Girl?
It Started with Eve (1941)

"Deanna Durbin is the only actress in motion picture history to have ten hits in a row. The first ten were both artistic and financial successes"

http://www.fabulousfilmsongs.com/deanna-durbin-femme-fatal/

tumblr-owi1i0-Ri-Ta1v7xjnoo1-500.gif

Holy crap!!! Where????

Deanna Durbin hated her roles in the movies, which is a shame, because she was so good. She brought a hellava lot of joy to the depression era people, including my pop. He was nuts about her. 

I just puked... Oh, wait. I watched Invasion USA, the absolute worst film I have ever seen. The film was made up mostly of WW2 stock footage bombings and aerial dog fights, while the main players sat in a bar in NY City and had their own issues. Brother, what a bomb this picture is. No pun intended. PU.  

• Haha 3

Ms.45 (1981) Vigilante Redux

Ms._45_Poster.jpg

Directed by Abel Ferrara (The Driller Killer(1979), Bad Lieutenant (1992)).

Written by Nicholas St. John (screenplay) (as N.G. St. John). The cinematography was by James Lemmo credited as James Momel. The music by Joe Delia.

The film sort of homages Death Wish (1974), Seven Beauties (1975), and Taxi Driver (1976).

The film stars Zoë Tamerlis as Thana, Albert Sinkys as Albert, Darlene Stuto as Laurie, Helen McGara as Carol, Nike Zachmanoglou as Pamela, Abel Ferrara as First Rapist (credited as "Jimmy Laine") Peter Yellen as The Burglar and Editta Sherman as Mrs. Nasone.

Another vigilante Neo Noir, this time with a post traumatic stress disorder twist.

Thanta, a drab, mute, mousey, seamstress working in some fashion line house in Manhattan's Garment District is raped on her way back home after work.

Meanwhile, coincidently, a burglar has broken into Thanta's apartment and he is rummaging around looking for money and valuables. He's still there when the traumatized Thanta arrives home. He asks for her money, she can't reply, so he pulls his gun and rapes her also.

During this second rape Thanta is able to grab a glass paper weight off a table and smack the burglar upside the head. While he's knocked out, Thanta grabs her iron and finishes the guy off then drags him into her bathroom and dumps him in her tub. His .45 she puts into a side table draw.

She goes back to work the following day never revealing what happened. Her coworkers do notice that she is acting strange. Thanta while watching someone replace a plastic bag in a trash container she gets an idea of how she can dispose the body.

She gets a serrated knife and cuts the guy up. Wrapping the pieces up in newspaper and stuffing him into plastic bags. These, after dumping out the food, she puts in her refrigerator.

Over the next few weeks she drops the pieces all over the city. In garbage cans, in empty lots, even in the open trunk of a guy packing luggage for a trip.

Thanta while outwardly looking clam however is deeply troubled. She hallucinates her attackers. Mrs Nasone her landlady also picks up on Thanta's strange behavior and Phil her can smell the "cold cuts" in the fridge and beings to incessantly bark.

During one of her body disposal trips a guy who is hitting on every woman who passes him notices Thanta drop a paper bag among debris in a trash pile. He picks up the bag and runs after Thanta who flees down a dead end alley. Cornered, she pulls out the .45 and blasts the guy when he catches up to her.

Now she begins a vendetta against men she deems as threatening. She even changes her appearance putting on makeup wearing more seductive clothes all to attract men.

Her plan works but it all goes Noirsville when she attends a Halloween Party given by her boss Albert.

As Thanta, Zoë Tamerlis' performance is intriguing it's all facial expressions and physical body language. Editta Sherman as Mrs. Nasone the wacky looking landlady is memorable.

The film was initially critically panned on its theatrical release. Now it get pretty high maks from  underground and independent film fans. Screen caps are from a Youtube screener. Worth a look 7/10

Full review with some screencaps here in Film Noir/Gangster pages.

16 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I just puked... Oh, wait. I watched Invasion USA, the absolute worst film I have ever seen. The film was made up mostly of WW2 stock footage bombings and aerial dog fights, while the main players sat in a bar in NY City and had their own issues. Brother, what a bomb this picture is. No pun intended. PU.  

No. Seriously, I beg you not to watch. 

17 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

No. Seriously, I beg you not to watch. 

That movie is so terrible that I own it on DVD! One of my favorite bad movies of the 1950's. It's so awful it hurts. I love it!

It's best if viewed in the Dan O'Herlihy manner:

invasionusa2.jpg

• Haha 2

The “Durbin Unit", (Deanna Durbin, producer Joe Pasternak, director Henry Koster) was reliably churning out the hits up to 1941.  Pasternak left Universal after the film It Started with Eve.  Too bad, they could have made more great movies for Durbin.

Her movies are available online. You just have to search.

Deanna Durbin: "Why did I give up my career? For one thing, just take a look at my last four films and you'll appreciate that the stories I had to defend were mediocre, near impossible. Whenever I complained or asked for story or director approval, the studio refused. I was the highest paid star with the poorest material."

82e964e43b8f217a2426a22dc5bac205.gif

M Squad - Season Three (1959-1960)

m-squad.jpg

Third and final season of the cop TV series, with 39 half-hour episodes. Lee Marvin is Chicago PD Lt. Frank Ballinger of the special M Squad division. Paul Newlan returned as Frank's captain. The series was showing signs of fatigue fairly quickly, with repeated story types (four episodes feature a bomber), while the second half of the season introduced several comedic scenes via quirky crime witnesses. A distinct lack of character moments that would have developed Marvin's character may have hurt the show in the long run, while Marvin's restlessness in the heavy TV workload helped usher an end to the show as well.

MSqBadge_1.jpg

The guest roster was weaker, with few major notables beyond the usual TV faces of the period. Leonard Nimoy shows up again as a crook, while Jeremy Slate is the fugitive son of a "Ma Barker" type. One of the better episodes featured Marc Lawrence as a sleazy photographer who moonlighted as an arsonist-for-hire. Lawrence also directed a couple of the other episodes. Other memorable moments included a gang of crooks that used a bazooka to pull off heists, Jeanne Cooper hiring a guy to kill her husband using a hand grenade, and Don "Red" Barry attacking Lee Marvin with a bullwhip in a circus-set episode.

MARVIN-MSQUAD-2--1-.jpg

The Demon Murder Case (1983)  -  4/10

MV5BYTdiNWQwYWMtNzljMC00OWYwLWE1MmUtNTgw

"Based on a true story" supernatural TV movie featuring Kevin Bacon on trial. Flashbacks reveal his backstory, and how he and his fiancee (Liane Langland) were present when her little brother (Charlie Fields) became possessed by a demon. Featuring Andy Griffith as a paranormal investigator, and Beverlee McKinsey as his psychic wife, Cloris Leachman and Ken Kercheval as rival reporters, Eddie Albert as a priest, Joyce Van Patten, Peter Gerety, Richard Masur, and Harvey Fierstein (in his movie debut) as the voice of the demon. Griffith & McKinsey are based on real-life paranormal investigators Ed & Lorraine Warren, who have been fixtures in horror cinema in recent years as played by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga in The Conjuring and its various sequels and spin-offs. The events in this film are played very straight-faced and serious, making it all that much sillier. The second half kind of falls apart dramatically, but the odd cast may be of interest to some viewers.

Silent Madness (1984)  -  4/10

220px-Silent_Madness_1984_poster.jpg

Another slasher flick, this time starring Belinda Montgomery as psychologist who discovers that a computer error has resulted in the accidental release of a murderous psychopath (Solly Marx). When the senior staff at the state hospital prove more interested in covering up the mistake than catching the madman, Montgomery heads to the women's college where the escapee committed a series of murders 20 years earlier. Sure enough, the killings start again. Also featuring Viveca Lindfors as the unstable house mother to the targeted sorority sisters, Sydney Lassick as an ineffectual sheriff, David Greenan, Rick Aiello, and Elizabeth Kaitan. This was originally shown in 3D, and the "let's point things at the camera" rule is in hilarious effect. There's also gratuitous nudity, sexual puritanism as subtext, and what seem to be heavily edited scenes of violence. Some of the film is played straight, while other sections, dealing with the hospital corruption, are cartoonishly over done to the point of parody. 

Final Exam (1981)

I guess you could say Final Exam... Dropped Out by failing the final. Motive? Fail. Kills? Fail. Interesting killer? Fail. Plot? Pass/Fail but still fail. If they spent more time on creative kills and background instead of college hijinks, maybe it could have been something and get a marginal pass but instead, it's about a group of pretty girls, jocks, pledges and some nerd named Radish that has some pretty sick posters in his room (The Toolbox Murders, The Corpse Grinder and Murder is My Beat if I'm right) in exam season with pranking. Somewhere down the line, the killings begin on the campus. The lumbering, slow-walking ninja serial stabber pulls some ghost kills, popping out of nowhere, teleporting from stabbing place to stabbing place, not an ounce of logic on how the mysterious Stabby McStabs gets anywhere or why these kids aren't the brightest pencils in the case.

Still, the posters were a nice touch and the first prank, surely time cannot touch such a prank.

3/10, not the worst on TCM Underground by far, but not the best horror movie either.

I just wanted to get that in there at the start for the short that followed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

A distinct lack of character moments that would have developed Marvin's character may have hurt the show in the long run, while Marvin's restlessness in the heavy TV workload helped usher an end to the show as well.

Maybe it's just me, but I find Lee Marvin (and James Coburn actually) lacking personality. If Gary Cooper is described as "wooden", I'd describe Marvin as "stoney". It's as if his facial expression never changes, there's no emotion in his eyes. Guys seem to love that stoic style of acting, but I'll take Miss 'overdramatic' Bette or **** Cagney any day.

And when we screen a Deanna Durbin movie, the crowd always leaves with big smiles on their faces. Her movies are always a big hit here.

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The Demon Murder Case (1983)  -  4/10

MV5BYTdiNWQwYWMtNzljMC00OWYwLWE1MmUtNTgw

Griffith & McKinsey are based on real-life paranormal investigators Ed & Lorraine Warren, 

The Warrens lived one town over from me. I went to one of their "presentations" back in the 1980s, and although I was entertained, I also discovered they were absolutely horrible public speakers, especially Ed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I'll take Miss 'overdramatic' Bette or **** Cagney any day.

James is auto-censored now?  :lol:

13 minutes ago, Fedya said:

James is auto-censored now?  :lol:

You only wish! 

PS:  I'm watching Maverick right now (the James Garner western):   This is a Warner Bros. production and in this episode they used part of the score from The Big Sleep; the Bogie\Bacall\Hawks film.   

Funny but I wasn't watching the T.V only listening to it since I was making breakfast.  I have seen The Big Sleep at least 25 times.   So I'm cooking and I say to myself 'hey, did I switch the T.V. station to TCM,  because that is The Big Sleep???".   NOT.

Oh, and what Maverick was doing in the scene was what Marlowe was doing;  looking for clues,,,  so the music fit well.