speedracer5

I Just Watched...

18,867 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I hadn't thought of that.

I have to admit I've seen a lot of shortish movies from that time period on FXM that I would never have heard of otherwise, which is what gave me that theory.

Mermaids of Tiburon (1962)  -  4/10

220px-Mermaids_of_Tiburon.jpg

Silly mammillary adventure tale about a marine biologist (George Robotham) who is hired to look for a bed of giant clams that contain "fire pearls", somewhere off the coast of Tiburon Island in the Gulf of California, Mexico. He finds a race of mermaids there protecting the giant clams. Also featuring Diane Webber, Gaby Martone, Jose Gonzales-Gonzales, John Mylong, and Timothy Carey. The filmmakers felt their initial cut of the film was a dud, so they added a lot of footage of topless girls swimming around without the mermaid fins. If one wants to ogle nice-looking women as they swim topless, then this movie is a 9/10. Unfortunately, they leave some story and character stuff in, too, which brings it down a lot. The movie is still titillating, and there are ample displays of the breast stroke. Some night scenes required the use of headlights, and I'm sure jugs of wine were guzzled during production. One early scene features a building entrance with nice, ornate doorknockers, while some noisy owls almost ruined the sound during another scene, those loud hooters! Boobs.

Source: internet

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Timothy Carey??? THAT Timothy Carey??

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

You cant really see anything though.

KdzihXT.jpg

Eleanor Parker in American Dream

19 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Timothy Carey??? THAT Timothy Carey??

Yeah, he plays a goon working for the rich guy who funded the expedition. When the mermaids get in the way, he starts throwing dynamite in the water. 

mermaids24.jpg

mermaids23.jpg

LOL. Sounds like a typical role......

20 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

KdzihXT.jpg

Eleanor Parker in American Dream

I can't get it to play......

16 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I can't get it to play......

It's a screencap, and PS you don't have to it's right there for you to see. 😎

I see her face, yes. I agree she's topless in the scene, but the way it's edited you can't see anything.

GOD HELP ME, ALL I HAVE WATCHED FOR THE PAST TEN DAYS HAS BEEN MURDER SHE WROTE, SEASONS 1-5.

The only way I can tie it in to the recent conversation is that I tried to watch the one where ELEANOR PARKER and EDWARD MULHARE are obviously supposed to be Dick and Liz in a gutbucket Noel Coward ripoff and i Had to turn it off, she is SO "off" I was embarassed for her!

Something was up, I don't think she was well, she seems to be struggling to remember her lines, just like ROBERT CULP in his episode about the ERSATZ MARY KAY LADY MURDER.

• Like 1

also also,

I think my FAVORITE MURDER, SHE WROTE TROPE ( "MURDER, SHE TROPE...?) is how, when Jessica confronts the killer AND he or she ALWAYS ACCUSES HER OF BEING INSANE IN SOME FORM OR ANOTHER.

"Jessica, are you INSANE? I really think you ARE, JESSICA. You are completely MAD. ME kill Duncan? You're out of your mind. Sniffing glue. Hearing voices, like Jean D'Arc..."

• Haha 3

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

also also,

I think my FAVORITE MURDER, SHE WROTE TROPE ( "MURDER, SHE TROPE...?) is how, when Jessica confronts the killer he or she ALWAYS ACCUSES HER OF BEING INSANE IN SOME FORM OR ANOTHER.

"Jessica, are you INSANE? I really think you ARE, JESSICA. You are completely MAD. ME kill Duncan? You're out of your mind. Sniffing glue. Hearing voices, like Jean D'Arc..."

It's such a entertaining show. I haven't seen every episode, but close. Only quibbles are that the earlier years were stronger (last consistently strong season was 8, although the remaining seasons had quite a few good ones as well) and that it just didn't gel completely in the episodes where Jessica wasn't fully there and somebody else was investigating the crime.

6 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

It's such a entertaining show. I haven't seen every episode, but close. Only quibbles are that the earlier years were stronger (last consistently strong season was 8, although the remaining seasons had quite a few good ones as well) and that it just didn't gel completely in the episodes where Jessica wasn't fully there and somebody else was investigating the crime.

yeah, EVERYONE HATES THOSE!

EVERY TIME Angela would look into the camera in a rose garden at the start of an episode I'd know it was gonna be crap.

(Although there is ONE kinda fun one starring GRADY AND DONNA.)

(ALSO ALSO, The Grady and Donna wedding episode SOMETHING BORROWED, SOMEONE BLUE is (I realized last night) one of the best of the series as well. it was a rare instance where the show openly poked at itself.

also also also Donna was cute as a BUTTON and Grady was HOT.

Merrill's Marauders (1962)  -  6/10

220px-Mermaraudpos.jpg

Decent, if routine, WWII action flick from writer-director Sam Fuller. Jeff Chandler stars in his final film role as Brigadier General Frank D. Merrill, the commander of a US Army unit in Burma. Also starring Andrew Duggan, Ty Hardin, Peter Brown, Claude Akins, Will Hutchins, and John Hoyt. The emphasis is on the physical and psychological toll the troops endured, with exhaustion, injury, and tropical disease decimating their ranks. Chandler hurt his back playing baseball with troop extras on location in the Philippines, which required surgery when he returned stateside. He died on the operating table when the surgeon nicked a major blood vessel. The supporting cast of Warner Brothers TV regulars helps quickly differentiate between the characters.

Source: TCM

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Mamma Roma (1962)  -  7/10

Mamma-Roma-750x400.jpg

Italian drama with Anna Magnani as a former streetwalker who is devoted to her teenage son Ettore (Ettore Garofolo), who runs with a gang of street toughs. Magnani tries to make life better for her son, but circumstances and fate are working against her. Also with Franco Citti, Silvana Corsini, Luisa Loiano, and Paolo Volponi. Written and directed by Pier Paolo Pasolini, this is a humanistic look at the sordid corners of Italian society at the time. Magnani plays another of her loud, larger-than-life characters, and your tolerance for same may temper one's enthusiasm for the picture. The guy playing her son reminded me of Leo Gorcey but without the talent for language arts.

Source: TCM

I am not exactly a fan of Pier Paolo Pasolini's films, but I found this film to be a very powerful one. 

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

EVERY TIME Angela would look into the camera in a rose garden at the start of an episode I'd know it was gonna be crap.

(ALSO ALSO, The Grady and Donna wedding episode SOMETHING BORROWED, SOMEONE BLUE is (I realized last night) one of the best of the series as well. it was a rare instance where the show openly poked at itself.

Something Borrowed, Someone Blue also had one of the best reactions when the dead body was found. In that episode, Conchata Farrell (Mystic Pizza, Heaven and Earth, Erin Brockovich, Two and a Half Men) was the victim playing a surly maid who was killed off with a meat thermometer in the back, and when the police came, the main policemen, in a vein of dark humor, deadpanned "She's done." Not to mention, later, when her body was moved,  and Donna found it, Donna's reaction: "It's Harriet! SHES IN MY BATHROOM!!!!"  followed by Gale Storm saying "Well Good, we've been looking all over for her!" :D

38 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

GOD HELP ME, ALL I HAVE WATCHED FOR THE PAST TEN DAYS HAS BEEN MURDER SHE WROTE, SEASONS 1-5.

The only way I can tie it in to the recent conversation is that I tried to watch the one where ELEANOR PARKER and EDWARD MULHARE are obviously supposed to be Dick and Liz in a gutbucket Noel Coward ripoff and i Had to turn it off, she is SO "off" I was embarassed for her!

Something was up, I don't think she was well, she seems to be struggling to remember her lines, just like ROBERT CULP in his episode about the ERSATZ MARY KAY LADY MURDER.

LOL. Jayne Meadows! I dont remember that Parker episode that well. Wasnt she SUPPOSED to be rattled and forgetting her lines? I remember she looked great though. She must've been in her 60s by then.

Just now, Hibi said:

LOL. Jayne Meadows! I dont remember that Parker episode that well. Wasnt she SUPPOSED to be rattled and forgetting her lines? I remember she looked great though. She must've been in her 60s by then.

I think Parker's character was a bit discombobulated in that episode. By that time, she would have been about 65 when that episode aired. (1986). She made it to about 92.

37 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

also also,

I think my FAVORITE MURDER, SHE WROTE TROPE ( "MURDER, SHE TROPE...?) is how, when Jessica confronts the killer AND he or she ALWAYS ACCUSES HER OF BEING INSANE IN SOME FORM OR ANOTHER.

And no one ever shuts up and always confesses. I'd clam up and ask for my lawyer!!!

Just now, Hibi said:

And no one ever shuts up and always confesses. I'd clam up and ask for my lawyer!!!

There was that one episode though where the murderer was so far around the bend mentally that Jessica had to confront a third party, who was not guilty of the murders, (Van Johnson) who did the confessing about the other's activity. That one was a truly gonzo one.

26 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, what season was that? (with the subbing mystery solvers). I can't remember any that were that good. Maybe I wasn't interested because Jessica wasn't involved. The ratings went down every time Jessica wasnt there, so it was back to the salt mines for Angela after that. They didnt try that again. I think it was just one season. Maybe the third?

1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

There was that one episode though where the murderer was so far around the bend mentally that Jessica had to confront a third party, who was not guilty of the murders, (Van Johnson) who did the confessing about the other's activity. That one was a truly gonzo one.

Yeah, that one was really off the wall........

24 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Something Borrowed, Someone Blue also had one of the best reactions when the dead body was found. In that episode, Conchata Farrell (Mystic Pizza, Heaven and Earth, Erin Brockovich, Two and a Half Men) was the victim playing a surly maid who was killed off with a meat thermometer in the back, and when the police came, the main policemen, in a vein of dark humor, deadpanned "She's done." Not to mention, later, when her body was moved,  and Donna found it, Donna's reaction: "It's Harriet! SHES IN MY BATHROOM!!!!"  followed by Gale Storm saying "Well Good, we've been looking all over for her!" :D

LOL. I remember Gale, but have forgotten a lot of that one

Someone once told me that watching Murder, She Wrote was the TV equivalent of going out in public while wearing gray sweatpants: it meant that you'd given up. I often think of that when I'm watching Murder, She Wrote.

Len Cariou often appeared in Murder, She Wrote, and he's also in Blue Bloods, which is the modern gray-sweatpants television. 

I saw Keith Michell in a movie the other day, All Night Long (1962). I don't recall seeing him in anything other than Murder, She Wrote, where I wondered where he came from.

Just now, Hibi said:

Yeah, what season was that? (with the subbing mystery solvers). I can't remember any that were that good. Maybe I wasn't interested because Jessica wasn't involved. The ratings went down every time Jessica wasnt there, so it was back to the salt mines for Angela after that. They didnt try that again. I think it was just one season. Maybe the third?

There was 1 in the third. (February 8, 1987)

8 in season 6 (October 8, 1989/October 29, 1989/January 7, 1990/March 4, 1990/March 25, 1990/April 8, 1990/May 6, 1990/May 20,1990)

5 in Season 7 (September 30, 1990/November 25, 1990/December 16,1990/January 20,1991/March 17,1991)

And after St. Patrick's Day 1991, she was there for every episode.

The only two of the AWOL episodes that were enjoyable were the one where Grady and Donna guarded Jessica's house and found a body in the living room, and the one with Ken Howard and the poodle. And what was up with 1990? Oh well, they still gave us one of the best Cabot Coves in seasons 6 and 7, the one with the botched mayoral campaign with the beauty shop ladies, and the one with the gym servicing a mostly female clientele and how it dovetailed with the dead body in Eve Simpson's bedroom.