speedracer5

I Just Watched...

21,459 posts in this topic

Me, Natalie  (1969)  -  6/10

Me_Natalie_(1967).jpg (260Ã382)

Comedy-drama with Patty Duke as a young, Brooklyn-bred woman who has struggled with being unattractive her whole life. All of her efforts to find romance fail miserably, until she strikes out on her own, getting her own apartment, a job, and meeting a nice young man (James Farentino). What could go wrong? With Nancy Marchand, Elsa Lanchester, Martin Balsam, Salome Gens, Philip Sterling, Catherine Burns, Bob Balaban, Susan Lucci, and Al Pacino in his film debut. This is a showcase for Duke, who earned a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical. She wears goofy fake teeth to try and make her more of an ugly duckling. It's not a bad film, just a bit mild for my tastes. The location cinematography will appeal to those with memories of circa-1969 Brooklyn. I watched it for Al Pacino's very brief debut as a blunt-talking guy at a school dance.

Source: YouTube

MV5BYzllMjU4MzUtMDJlNC00ODg2LTg5MTEtZmI4

MV5BZmZlODhiZDEtOWFiOC00OTUwLWE4YjUtNjJi

After this date went poorly, one of the two went lookin' for Joe Buck...

91FsYk8FSeL._SX679_.jpg

• Like 2

Sparkle, Natalie, sparkle!

It does seem strange that this film was never released on VHS or DVD. After all, Patty won a Golden Globe for it, and although it wasn't a big box-office hit, most who have seen it remember it very fondly.

• Like 1

Moon Zero Two  (1969)  -  3/10

19967_1_front.jpg

Science fiction action from Hammer Films. In the far-flung future of 2021, space salvage ship operator James Olson is contracted by lunar crime boss Warren Mitchell with illegally mining an asteroid composed mainly of sapphires. Olson is also asked by desperate Catherine Schell to help find her missing brother. Adrienne Corri, Ori Levy, Dudley Foster, Bernard Breeslaw, Sam Kydd, Michael Ripper, and Carol Cleveland. Hammer's only future-set SF film is also one of their worst, with terrible music, cheap sets, and a bad script.

Source: internet

MV5BYTdlOWM2MjctYjhmNi00ZTNiLWJkNzMtZTRk

MV5BZDBkMjhkY2UtM2RkZi00ZWNjLWExM2EtZDYx

• Like 1

After the debacle of “Valley of the Dolls,” it’s amazing she got ANY more movie roles, which is a shame because she really was a very gifted actress.  Outside of her indelible performance as Helen Keller, “Me, Natalie” was the best chance she ever got to display the range and depth of her talent in a theatrical movie.  Unfortunately, as Lawrence A pointed out, the movie itself is very mild (a good word to describe it) and I believe it was a bust at the box office. Luckily, Duke got many more opportunities on TV, where she gave many excellent performances in TV movies and mini-series.  If you haven’t seen it, I particularly recommend “My Sweet Charlie.”

• Like 2

My Night at Maud's  (1969)  -  6/10

28927_2_front.jpg

French drama from writer-director Eric Rohmer. Stuffy Catholic Jean-Louis (Jean-Louis Trintignant) follows a friend to the home of outgoing divorcee Maud (Francoise Fabian), where he ends up spending the night, with much discussion possibly leading to more intimacy. With Marie-Christine Barrault, Antoine Vitez, and Marie Becker. This is the most technically accomplished Rohmer film that I've seen, even if he went back to B&W cinematography after the color La Collectionneuse. It's also the best acted, with good, subtle work by Trintignant and Fabian. However, the movie is also the gabfest that I'd been warned about, but as I'd been prepared for such, I powered through my boredom to the end. As the poster promises, it is "so French". 

Source: The Criterion Channel

• Like 1

Assignment Terror  (1970)  -  3/10 or 8/10

Los_monstruos_del_terror.jpg

Spanish science fiction horror with Michael Rennie, in his final role, as Dr. Odo Warnoff, an alien bent on domination of the Earth. Towards that end, he decides to assemble and revive the "great monsters of the world", including a blue-skinned vampire (Manuel de Blas), a mummy (Gene Reyes), and even Frankenstein's monster (Ferdinando Murolo), here renamed Farancksalan for some reason. Dr. Warnoff makes a mistake, though, by choosing as his wolfman the seemingly-dead Count Waldemer Daninsky (Paul Naschy), who resist the alien's plot. With Karin Dor as Rennie's chief assistant, Craig Hill as a local cop on the case, Patty Shepard, Angel del Pozo, Diana Sorel, Paul Cross, and Peter Damon. 

MV5BYzIyZWMyMjYtY2UzNi00OTA3LTlhM2ItMWY2

This incredible movie should be better known. Its crazy plot is only matched by the B-movie production design, which mixes old castle sets with mad scientist's labs, and "happening" discotheques. While the movie is part of the Paul Naschy/Count Daninsky werewolf series, he's just one facet of this multi-layered cake of madness. There are several subplots, including Dor being menaced/seduced by the vampire, policeman Hill romancing witness Shepard, and more! The production ran out of money, and had to cut out a fifth monster, the Golem, although a scene hinting at its inclusion remains in the movie. The shoddy production resulted in multiple directors, including Tullo Demicheli, Hugo Fregonese, Eberhard Meichsner, and Antonio Isasi-Isasmendi. There was also later confusion due to the movie's multiple titles. The original Spanish title was Los monstruos del terror, while in the UK it was called Assignment Terror. For its brief American run, it was called Dracula vs Frankenstein, which caused confusion with Al Adamson's 1971 Dracula vs. Frankenstein with Lon Chaney Jr. and J. Carrol Naish. Whatever it's called, it's a bad movie gem that should be sought by fans of such.

Sample dialogue:

Paul Naschy, as Count Daninsky - "Why are you helping me?"

Diana Sorel, as one of Rennie's lab assistants - "I don't know. I guess because...I'm a woman."

assignment-terror-08.jpg

MV5BN2M2OTQ5NWQtMTEwYy00ZTljLWEwMGUtNmVl

MV5BMTU2MGE5NjUtMjc4Yi00YjFhLWE0YzUtYWM2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967) Twisted Soap Opera - Neo Noir

Reflections_in_a_golden_eye.jpg

"There is a fort in the South where a few years ago a murder was committed."(Carson McCullers)

Directed by John Huston. Huston was one of the directors credited with creating one of the first noticed "American" Film Noir after WWII when a backlog of US Films hit Paris, The Maltese Falcon (1941). The other 1941 film curiously was the (in reality) much darker looking visually I Wake Up Screaming (1941) directed by  H. Bruce Humberstone ) it was a one off film, Humberstone never directed another Noir.

John Huston went on to make the classics, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), Key Largo (1948), The Asphalt Jungle (1950), The Misfits (1961), and The Night of the Iguana (1964).

Written by Chapman Mortimer and Gladys Hill and based on Carson McCullers novel. The Cinematography was by Aldo Tonti (The Nights of Cabiria (1957)) and uncredited Oswald Morris.

The film has seven major characters starring Marlon Brando as Major Weldon Penderton, Marlon Brando as Major Weldon Penderton, Brian Keith as Lt Colonel Morris Langdon, Julie Harris as Alison Langdon, Zorro David as Anacleto, Robert Forster as Private L. G. Williams, and Firebird the stallion.

Pretty much right from the get go McCuller's script heads us right back into to that crumbling decadent south land of sexual ambiguity, fetid relationships, and moral swamps, sort of key words for the similar the works of James Leo Herlihy, William Inge, and Tennessee Williams.

Originally the film was released with a golden tint. A a sort of golden noir. Each scene, supposedly, was to contain stylistically one object normally colored. This tied into the films title which derived from the houseboy's watercolor of a golden peacock in whose eye the world was a reflection. I've seen that print once, it's suggestive of the monochrome ambiance of Black and White. It worked for me.

Its not a Noir of gritty cityscapes, or one of bleak desolate deserts. Its a film of the rural night, a shady neighborhood, a stable, a house of shadows and dark interiors both psychical and mental.

Most Noirs and Neo Noirs are usually Crime Genre films, but not all. During the Classic Era the Motion Picture Production Code had guardrails on Film Noir. On one side was the rail for violence, the other side for sex and other taboo subjects. With the demise of the code Film Noir lost it's guardrails and was allowed wander. It had the freedom to exploit whatever and go wherever it wanted to weaving off the usual highway and all over the psycho-sexual landscape. It's an adult noir.

Brando gives a bravura performance of a man going slowly to pieces as his whole world beings to shift. He's like a burnt marshmallow hard just on the outside, but a gooey mess on the inside. He's the complete opposite of testosterone laden Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire.

Taylor is  still good, a bit past her use by date. She's not smoking hot. She's on her way to being a full figured woman. Though in reality both she and her potential prey are confined to the "pool" of the army base. I guess if you are the most desirable woman in that small pool it works. Julie Harris is surprisingly tolerable in this and quite believable. Brian Kieth is playing his usual gentle easy going persona. Forster doesn't have much to say and Firebird is an impressive part of the tale. Some screencaps on Film Noir/Gangster pages. 7/10

• Like 2

connie-stevens-us-singer-and-film-actres

I saw SUSAN SLADE (1961?) for the first time last night...

it was DELISH.

CONNIE FRANCIS plays the daughter of DORoTHY MAGUIRE- who apparently made  ENEMIES FOR LIFE of the hair and make-up people- and LLOYD NOLAN- who I actually think gives the best performance in PEYTON PLACE- that doesn't have anything to do with anything, I just think he handles himself quite well in the courtroom scene.

CONNIE has waist-length tresses and she and her folks live in a FAAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS ASIAN STYLE HOME ON THE CALIFORNIA COAST OVERLOOKING THE SEA CRASHING ON THE ROCKS in MONTERREY. RON AND NANCY ARE PROBABLY RIGHT DOWN THE STREET. .

Connie has waist-length tresses and she gets a second horse for her birthday. I hate her. sort of.

i mean, she can ROCK A FALL like no other-

th?id=OIP.Xho4POxenwvmEichImmQTwAAAA&pid

ASIDE- THE LEITMOTIF of horses, horse-riding and weird-**** horse people got DAMN OLD DAMN FAST you could even say they were "beating" it...

it is a shame DH LAWRENCE did not live to see this movie.

Connie gets pregnant and the father falls out of the picture and DOROTHY MAGUIRE- her mother and graduate of the JOAN CRAWFORD SCHOOL FOR PARENTING- SAYS THEY CAN PASS OFF THE KID AS HERS, MEANING DOROTHY MAGUIRE IS GOING TO CLAIM to all their society friends (among whom is none other than LOVEY HOWELL herself Natalie Schaeffer!) THAT SHE IS:

1. the one who is pregnant and...

2. GOING TO GUATAMALA TO HAVE THE BABY, BECAUSE- YEAH- THAT'S TOTALLY A PLACE KNOWN FOR THE ACE MEDICAL CARE AND SECURE SURROUNDINGS IN WHICH TO BIRTH A BABY...MIND YOU,THAT IS ONLY IF CALCUTTA IS ALREADY BOOKED FOR THE WEEK.

I would give anything for one of the old society ladies at the luncheon MAGUIRE gives where she tells them she is pregnant and moving away to ask IF THE RABBIT DIED LAUGHING.

(YES, THAT'S FROM THE GOLDEN GIRLS)

i cannot tell you how many times i rewatched CONNIE'S BIG "FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION" MOMENT WHERE SHE TEARS OFF HER DRESS AND RIPS AT HER HAIR. I REMEMEBER COMING ACROSS THIS IMAGE WHILE WATCHING BAD MOVIES WE LOVE, AN OLD SHOW ON TNT AND NEVER KNEW WHERE IT WAS FROM, BUT IT HAS BEEN BURNED INTO MY WORM-ADDLED BRAIN EVER SINCE.

th?id=OIP.H8Slc4n9FSpIoGJFjkTypQHaEK&pid

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Assignment Terror  (1970)  -  3/10 or 8/10

Los_monstruos_del_terror.jpg

Spanish science fiction horror with Michael Rennie, in his final role, as Dr. Odo Warnoff, an alien bent on domination of the Earth. Towards that end, he decides to assemble and revive the "great monsters of the world", including a blue-skinned vampire (Manuel de Blas), a mummy (Gene Reyes), and even Frankenstein's monster (Ferdinando Murolo), here renamed Farancksalan for some reason. Dr. Warnoff makes a mistake, though, by choosing as his wolfman the seemingly-dead Count Waldemer Daninsky (Paul Naschy), who resist the alien's plot. With Karin Dor as Rennie's chief assistant, Craig Hill as a local cop on the case, Patty Shepard, Angel del Pozo, Diana Sorel, Paul Cross, and Peter Damon. 

MV5BYzIyZWMyMjYtY2UzNi00OTA3LTlhM2ItMWY2

This incredible movie should be better known. Its crazy plot is only matched by the B-movie production design, which mixes old castle sets with mad scientist's labs, and "happening" discotheques. While the movie is part of the Paul Naschy/Count Daninsky werewolf series, he's just one facet of this multi-layered cake of madness. There are several subplots, including Dor being menaced/seduced by the vampire, policeman Hill romancing witness Shepard, and more! The production ran out of money, and had to cut out a fifth monster, the Golem, although a scene hinting at its inclusion remains in the movie. The shoddy production resulted in multiple directors, including Tullo Demicheli, Hugo Fregonese, Eberhard Meichsner, and Antonio Isasi-Isasmendi. There was also later confusion due to the movie's multiple titles. The original Spanish title was Los monstruos del terror, while in the UK it was called Assignment Terror. For its brief American run, it was called Dracula vs Frankenstein, which caused confusion with Al Adamson's 1971 Dracula vs. Frankenstein with Lon Chaney Jr. and J. Carrol Naish. Whatever it's called, it's a bad movie gem that should be sought by fans of such.

Sample dialogue:

Paul Naschy, as Count Daninsky - "Why are you helping me?"

Diana Sorel, as one of Rennie's lab assistants - "I don't know. I guess because...I'm a woman."

assignment-terror-08.jpg

MV5BN2M2OTQ5NWQtMTEwYy00ZTljLWEwMGUtNmVl

MV5BMTU2MGE5NjUtMjc4Yi00YjFhLWE0YzUtYWM2

I was intrigued enough by your description of this film that I checked out a bit of it on You Tube, Lawrence. There's a less than climactic fight scene reminiscent of that at the end of Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, though in this case I suppose I should call it Farancksalan Meets the Werewolf. I also noticed in the print I saw that Michael Rennie's voice was dubbed, sounding, intriguingly, more like Peter Cushing than himself.

Lorna Hanson Forbes:  I think you mean Connie Stevens, not Connie Francis!  And, I agree, "Susan Slade" is a riot.  Yea, 40-something women who suddenly "disappears" to Guatemala and then reappears with an infant is totally credible. (Not.) I think Lloyd Nolan demanded that his character die early in this turgid mess . . . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967) Twisted Soap Opera - Neo Noir

Reflections_in_a_golden_eye.jpg

"There is a fort in the South where a few years ago a murder was committed."(Carson McCullers)

Directed by John Huston. Huston was one of the directors credited with creating one of the first noticed "American" Film Noir after WWII when a backlog of US Films hit Paris, The Maltese Falcon (1941). The other 1941 film curiously was the (in reality) much darker looking visually I Wake Up Screaming (1941) directed by  H. Bruce Humberstone ) it was a one off film, Humberstone never directed another Noir.

John Huston went on to make the classics, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), Key Largo (1948), The Asphalt Jungle (1950), The Misfits (1961), and The Night of the Iguana (1964).

Written by Chapman Mortimer and Gladys Hill and based on Carson McCullers novel. The Cinematography was by Aldo Tonti (The Nights of Cabiria (1957)) and uncredited Oswald Morris.

The film has seven major characters starring Marlon Brando as Major Weldon Penderton, Marlon Brando as Major Weldon Penderton, Brian Keith as Lt Colonel Morris Langdon, Julie Harris as Alison Langdon, Zorro David as Anacleto, Robert Forster as Private L. G. Williams, and Firebird the stallion.

Pretty much right from the get go McCuller's script heads us right back into to that crumbling decadent south land of sexual ambiguity, fetid relationships, and moral swamps, sort of key words for the similar the works of James Leo Herlihy, William Inge, and Tennessee Williams.

Originally the film was released with a golden tint. A a sort of golden noir. Each scene, supposedly, was to contain stylistically one object normally colored. This tied into the films title which derived from the houseboy's watercolor of a golden peacock in whose eye the world was a reflection. I've seen that print once, it's suggestive of the monochrome ambiance of Black and White. It worked for me.

Its not a Noir of gritty cityscapes, or one of bleak desolate deserts. Its a film of the rural night, a shady neighborhood, a stable, a house of shadows and dark interiors both psychical and mental.

Most Noirs and Neo Noirs are usually Crime Genre films, but not all. During the Classic Era the Motion Picture Production Code had guardrails on Film Noir. On one side was the rail for violence, the other side for sex and other taboo subjects. With the demise of the code Film Noir lost it's guardrails and was allowed wander. It had the freedom to exploit whatever and go wherever it wanted to weaving off the usual highway and all over the psycho-sexual landscape. It's an adult noir.

Brando gives a bravura performance of a man going slowly to pieces as his whole world beings to shift. He's like a burnt marshmallow hard just on the outside, but a gooey mess on the inside. He's the complete opposite of testosterone laden Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire.

Taylor is  still good, a bit past her use by date. She's not smoking hot. She's on her way to being a full figured woman. Though in reality both she and her potential prey are confined to the "pool" of the army base. I guess if you are the most desirable woman in that small pool it works. Julie Harris is surprisingly tolerable in this and quite believable. Brian Kieth is playing his usual gentle easy going persona. Forster doesn't have much to say and Firebird is an impressive part of the tale. Some screencaps on Film Noir/Gangster pages. 7/10

The movie version brings out the seething underbelly of Carson McCullers' novella.

The movie is so much "gayer" than the novella.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it was DELISH.

CONNIE FRANCIS plays the daughter of DORoTHY MAGUIRE- who apparently made  ENEMIES FOR LIFE of the hair and make-up people- and LLOYD NOLAN- who I actually think gives the best performance in PEYTON PLACE- that doesn't have anything to do with anything, I just think he handles himself quite well in the courtroom scene.

CONNIE has waist-length tresses and she and her folks live in a FAAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS ASIAN STYLE HOME ON THE CALIFORNIA COAST OVERLOOKING THE SEA CRASHING ON THE ROCKS in MONTERREY. RON AND NANCY ARE PROBABLY RIGHT DOWN THE STREET. .

Connie has waist-length tresses and she gets a second horse for her birthday. I hate her. sort of.

ASIDE- THE LEITMOTIF of horses, horse-riding and weird-**** horse people got DAMN OLD DAMN FAST you could even say they were "beating" it...

Connie gets pregnant and the father falls out of the picture and DOROTHY MAGUIRE- her mother and graduate of the JOAN CRAWFORD SCHOOL FOR PARENTING- SAYS THEY CAN PASS OFF THE KID AS HERS, MEANING DOROTHY MAGUIRE IS GOING TO CLAIM to all their society friends (among whom is none other than LOVEY HOWELL herself Natalie Schaeffer!) THAT SHE IS:

2. GOING TO GUATAMALA TO HAVE THE BABY, BECAUSE- YEAH- THAT'S TOTALLY A PLACE KNOWN FOR THE ACE MEDICAL CARE AND SECURE SURROUNDINGS IN WHICH TO BIRTH A BABY...MIND YOU,THAT IS ONLY IF CALCUTTA IS ALREADY BOOKED FOR THE WEEK.

I would give anything for one of the old society ladies at the luncheon MAGUIRE gives where she tells them she is pregnant and moving away to ask IF THE RABBIT DIED LAUGHING.

i cannot tell you how many times i rewatched CONNIE'S BIG "FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION" MOMENT WHERE SHE TEARS OFF HER DRESS AND RIPS AT HER HAIR. I REMEMEBER COMING ACROSS THIS IMAGE WHILE WATCHING BAD MOVIES WE LOVE, AN OLD SHOW ON TNT AND NEVER KNEW WHERE IT WAS FROM, BUT IT HAS BEEN BURNED INTO MY WORM-ADDLED BRAIN EVER SINCE.

"Susan Slade" is soap-opera at its' best.

Delmar Daves became an expert practitioner of the genre, beginning with "Parrish".

• Thanks 1

Flight (2012)

Gripping, emotionally compelling drama from director Robert Zemeckis about a near aviation disaster and the subsequent investigation into the case. The airliner incident was caused by malfunctioning equipment on a plane that never should have taken flight, with six out of 102 dying aboard. The pilot is steady, bold and courageous, performing an incredible eye popping action to save the plane, appearing to be a larger-than-life hero in the process. But when a blood test afterward reveals that the pilot had a high blood alcohol count, along with drugs in his system, at the time of the crash, not only is his career on the line but his freedom from prison, as well.

A film that starts as an exciting and highly dramatic aviation crisis drama takes a turn into a compelling human drama, as the pilot, Whip Whitaker (even his name sounds like that of a hero) is revealed to be a functioning alcoholic deep into the lies and self deception that go with anyone refusing to admit to having a problem. Also, as he approaches the investigation in which his virtual freedom (let alone career) are on the line, he seems to be incapable of keeping away from alcohol.

Flight is perhaps best known and celebrated for the heart stopping special effect sequence in which Whitaker saves the plane from a nose dive by inverting the passenger airliner and flying it upside down to slow down its out of control descent. It's a remarkable sequence, with passengers screaming, amidst a series of fast edits as Whitaker coolly barks orders (even upside down) while his co-pilot panics and squeals. You won't soon forget this spell binding sequence even if, as aviation experts say, it's highly doubtful that a passenger liner couldn't remain inverted as long as it does in this film.

But the human drama, this penetrating tale of denial by an alcoholic, is equally involving, and in that tribute must be given to Denzel Washington in one of the outstanding performances of his career. Washington's larger-than-life heroic screen image of remaining calm under stress may never have been more appropriately utilized than in the airliner inverted sequence in this film.

But this incredible actor also subtly conveys the inner turmoil of a man with a serious addiction problem who refuses to acknowledge it. He fears the consequences of what may happen to his career, and Washington lets us see those insecurities and vulnerabilities of a man who had previously seemed like a rock when he had averted air disaster.

One of Washington's finest moments comes towards the end of the film, a series of closeups on his face when he is asked a pointed question at the formal air crash investigation. You see him hesitate, drink a sip of water and stumble for words, as he finally utters "God help me" to himself before providing a heart breaking response to the question. It is a truly great screen moment of anguish by a remarkable actor.

Kelly Reilly gives a touching, sensitive performance as a drug addict, trying to clean up, with whom Whitaker forms a relationship. Also in the supporting cast is Don Cheadle as the pilot's defence lawyer in a role that couldn't be more of a contrast to the part he had previously played with Washington in Devil in a Blue Dress. John Goodman also makes a big impression in a florid, flamboyant performance as Whitaker's drug contact.

But make no mistake about it, along with the spectacular airliner inverted sequence early in the production, Flight should be remembered as a great showcase for Denzel Washington as an actor.

351536808.jpg

3 out of 4

• Like 1

your reviews never fail to make me laugh, Lorna. 😂

• Thanks 1

it was DELISH.

I can tell you that it's Connie STEVENS that appears in this film, not FRANCIS.  Don't feel bad though, I made this mistake too when I posted about the brilliance that is Susan Slade.  I love this film.

I very much dislike Stevens' hair.  The "Ellie Mae Clampett" hairdo must have been big in the early 60s. Deborah Walley rocks this hairstyle in Gidget Goes Hawaiian. I just don't like it.  It seems like a really elaborate mullet, or a collapsed up-do. 

But I loved Susan Slade.  Troy Donahue's wooden acting seems to work in all these teen melodramas that he is cast in.  I loved the whole "mom Dorothy McGuire is going to pretend she's pregnant, the family will move to Guatemala, Susan will have the baby, they'll return home, McGuire will raise the baby as her own" classic melodrama-stuff.  I know though that Stevens' experience in this film was a common thing that happened back in the day.  I'm surprised that Stevens wasn't sent away to a school for wayward girls or something.

Dorothy McGuire's latter career seemed to be the mother of squeaky teens like Hayley Mills, or at the other end of the spectrum, the mother of troubled teens, like Troy Donahue in A Summer Place, or Connie Stevens in Susan Slade.  

I have Troy Donahue's Parrish recorded, which I haven't watched yet. I believe it may be one of Claudette Colbert's last film, if not her last film. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

I was intrigued enough by your description of this film that I checked out a bit of it on You Tube, Lawrence. There's a less than climactic fight scene reminiscent of that at the end of Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, though in this case I suppose I should call it Farancksalan Meets the Werewolf. I also noticed in the print I saw that Michael Rennie's voice was dubbed, sounding, intriguingly, more like Peter Cushing than himself.

I'm not sure how good the one on YouTube looks. I checked one on there and it looked rather fuzzy and washed out. The copy I watched on "the internet" was a very sharp, widescreen print ripped from the European Blu ray.

I noticed the dubbing on Rennie, as well. He would die of emphysema the next year, so his real voice may have been too weak to use, or he may have been too ill to do the post-production dubbing. Or he may have just cashed his check and gotten out of there as quick as he could!

1 hour ago, lydecker said:

Lorna Hanson Forbes:  I think you mean Connie Stevens, not Connie Francis!  And, I agree, "Susan Slade" is a riot.  Yea, 40-something women who suddenly "disappear" to Guatemala and then reappear with an infant are totally credible. (Not.) I think Lloyd Nolan demanded that his character die early in this turgid mess . . . 

I liked how Dorothy McGuire planted the seed of a possible pregnancy at the luncheon by saying things like "oh, I don't think I can eat much, my stomach's been upset lately." 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm not sure how good the one on YouTube looks. I checked one on there and it looked rather fuzzy and washed out. The copy I watched on "the internet" was a very sharp, widescreen print ripped from the European Blu ray.

I noticed the dubbing on Rennie, as well. He would die of emphysema the next year, so his real voice may have been too weak to use, or he may have been too ill to do the post-production dubbing. Or he may have just cashed his check and gotten out of there as quick as he could!

It's always sad when an actor with a serious career ends up appearing in trash in order to pay the bills.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it was DELISH.

It's Connie Stevens, not Francis. How quickly we forget! They're both Italian, though!

But LMREO for your spot on review!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I can tell you that it's Connie STEVENS that appears in this film, not FRANCIS.  Don't feel bad though, I made this mistake too when I posted about the brilliance that is Susan Slade.  I love this film.

oh SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL APOLOGIES!!!!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It's Connie Stevens, not Francis. How quickly we forget! They're both Italian, though!

But LMREO for your spot on review!

i AM SO SORRY,

In my old age, i am getting BAD about NOT IMDBing or WIKIing or GOOGLING or BINGing a title first!

i also consciously left TROY DONAHUE out of my review because he had such little presence and screen time.

couldn't help but notice THEME FROM A SUMMER PLACE again- bad movie good luck charm that it is (also appearing of course in THE CROWDED SKY)

Honestly, I find the TOBACCO GROWING SCENES in PARRISH more fascinating than anything else in the movie.

(no sarcasm, I genuinely do- you learn A LOT about tobacco farming from that movie!)

• Like 1