speedracer5

I Just Watched...

21,418 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

now i can see they are CLEARLY different....

Lol.  I keep them separated mentally by thinking "Connie Francis played the girl who ended up with the Riddler in Where the Boys Are," and "Connie Stevens is the blonde girl with the bad hair in Susan Slade." 

• Haha 1

Just now, speedracer5 said:

Lol.  I keep them separated mentally by thinking "Connie Francis played the girl who ended up with the Riddler in Where the Boys Are," and "Connie Stevens is the blonde girl with the bad hair in Susan Slade." 

I've never seen WHERE THE BOYS ARE. If it's set in the 60's and there's a beach, I tend to avoid it. (go ahead, call me elitist.)

The recent showing of “Reflections in a Golden Eye” was the gold-tinted version, which I had never seen.  It was distracting at first until I got used to it.  It didn’t really seem to add anything to the story, though.  I had read that there was supposedly one object in each scene without the gold tone, but I didn’t notice that on my TV anyway.  The movie itself was interesting, if overwrought, and Brando especially was excellent in a role at one time meant for Montgomery Clift.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i also consciously left TROY DONAHUE out of my review because he had such little presence and screen time.

couldn't help but notice THEME FROM A SUMMER PLACE again- bad movie good luck charm that it is (also appearing of course in THE CROWDED SKY)

Oh man. I love A Summer Place. So dramatic.  I'm also a big fan of Dorothy McGuire and Sandra Dee. I also love the theme and the look of the film. Constance Ford is such a b! She's amazing in this film. I saw her in another film and was turned off by the fact that she was nice.

Theme From A Summer Place is also in Animal House

WB churned out a bunch of these trashy movies in the early 60s. Claudelle English (I think was the title) was another one...

2 minutes ago, Nightbird311 said:

The recent showing of “Reflections in a Golden Eye” was the gold-tinted version, which I had never seen.  It was distracting at first until I got used to it.  It didn’t really seem to add anything to the story, though.  I had read that there was supposedly one object in each scene without the gold tone, but I didn’t notice that on my TV anyway.  The movie itself was interesting, if overwrought, and Brando especially was excellent in a role at one time meant for Montgomery Clift.

Yeah, TCM shows the gold version from time to time. I find it more distracting than illuminating. After the initial engagements, the color version was used for the general release. Either way the film bombed..

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I've never seen WHERE THE BOYS ARE. If it's set in the 60's and there's a beach, I tend to avoid it. (go ahead, call me elitist.)

That was Connie's best movie, it was downhill from there. (she only made 4). Aside from a few on location shots it was all shot in Hollywood, USA!

1 hour ago, rayban said:

"Susan Slade" is soap-opera at its' best.

Delmar Daves became an expert practitioner of the genre, beginning with "Parrish".

YES! LOL.

27 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I can tell you that it's Connie STEVENS that appears in this film, not FRANCIS.  Don't feel bad though, I made this mistake too when I posted about the brilliance that is Susan Slade.  I love this film.

I very much dislike Stevens' hair.  The "Ellie Mae Clampett" hairdo must have been big in the early 60s. Deborah Walley rocks this hairstyle in Gidget Goes Hawaiian. I just don't like it.  It seems like a really elaborate mullet, or a collapsed up-do. 

But I loved Susan Slade.  Troy Donahue's wooden acting seems to work in all these teen melodramas that he is cast in.  I loved the whole "mom Dorothy McGuire is going to pretend she's pregnant, the family will move to Guatemala, Susan will have the baby, they'll return home, McGuire will raise the baby as her own" classic melodrama-stuff.  I know though that Stevens' experience in this film was a common thing that happened back in the day.  I'm surprised that Stevens wasn't sent away to a school for wayward girls or something.

Dorothy McGuire's latter career seemed to be the mother of squeaky teens like Hayley Mills, or at the other end of the spectrum, the mother of troubled teens, like Troy Donahue in A Summer Place, or Connie Stevens in Susan Slade.  

I have Troy Donahue's Parrish recorded, which I haven't watched yet. I believe it may be one of Claudette Colbert's last film, if not her last film. 

Yes, it was Colbert's last theatrical film.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

It does seem strange that this film was never released on VHS or DVD. After all, Patty won a Golden Globe for it, and although it wasn't a big box-office hit, most who have seen it remember it very fondly.

That's too bad. I remember the film, but didnt see it. It disappeared quickly after it was released. Not sure it even was broadcast on one of the networks.

23 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i also consciously left TROY DONAHUE out of my review because he had such little presence and screen time.

couldn't help but notice THEME FROM A SUMMER PLACE again- bad movie good luck charm that it is (also appearing of course in THE CROWDED SKY)

Troy Donahue was the gorgeous young man who did not think that he had a chance with Connie Stevens.

Don't forget, Grant Williams impregnated her - and she loved him madly.

And Bert Convy was being pushed on her - by her parents and his.

But what was your take on Conn White (Grant Williams' character)?

Was he just too busy planning his climb on Mt. McKinley?

Or was he just not that serious about his involvement with Susan Slade?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Me, Natalie  (1969)  -  6/10

Me_Natalie_(1967).jpg (260Ã382)

Comedy-drama with Patty Duke as a young, Brooklyn-bred woman who has struggled with being unattractive her whole life. All of her efforts to find romance fail miserably, until she strikes out on her own, getting her own apartment, a job, and meeting a nice young man (James Farentino). What could go wrong? With Nancy Marchand, Elsa Lanchester, Martin Balsam, Salome Gens, Philip Sterling, Catherine Burns, Bob Balaban, Susan Lucci, and Al Pacino in his film debut. This is a showcase for Duke, who earned a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical. She wears goofy fake teeth to try and make her more of an ugly duckling. It's not a bad film, just a bit mild for my tastes. The location cinematography will appeal to those with memories of circa-1969 Brooklyn. I watched it for Al Pacino's very brief debut as a blunt-talking guy at a school dance.

Source: YouTube

MV5BYzllMjU4MzUtMDJlNC00ODg2LTg5MTEtZmI4

MV5BZmZlODhiZDEtOWFiOC00OTUwLWE4YjUtNjJi

After this date went poorly, one of the two went lookin' for Joe Buck...

91FsYk8FSeL._SX679_.jpg

LOL!!! That didnt go too well either......

19 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

now i can see they are CLEARLY different....

Stevens is the blonde......

16 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

And, Connie Stevens was one of the unfortunate women who married Eddie Fisher (What WAS that guy's attraction??) and also played a singer named "Cricket" (No, I am not making this up) in a 1960's TV show, "Hawaiian Eye." I think they were originally going to call it "Guatemalan Eye" but changed their minds at the last minute.

Baal  (1970)  -  3/10

baal_05a.jpg

German drama based on the play by Bertolt Brecht, adapted for the screen and directed by Volker Schlondorff. Baal (Rainer Werner Fassbinder) is regarded as a genius poet, but his rough manner makes him an outcast from high society. Instead, he spends his time with blue-collar workers and people of low character, drinking and carousing. With Margarethe von Trotta, Hanna Schygulla, Marian Seidowsky, Sigi Graue, Gunther Neutze, Christine Schuberth, Harry Baer, Rudolf Waldemar Brem, and Irm Hermann. Brecht's widow hated this adaptation of her husband's work so much that she had it pulled from circulation for 40 years. I have to agree with her. It's ugly, pretentious, and dull.

Source: The Criterion Channel

21 minutes ago, lydecker said:

And, Connie Stevens was one of the unfortunate women who married Eddie Fisher (What WAS that guy's attraction??) and also played a singer named "Cricket" (No, I am not making this up) in a 1960's TV show, "Hawaiian Eye." I think they were originally going to call it "Guatemalan Eye" but changed their minds at the last minute.

Yes, true! LOL. She sang on that show too. (Eye). I vaguely remember it. I think she played a nightclub singer on that show. Don't remember how she figured into the plots. She, at least got 2 nice daughters out of him (Fisher). I know she's very close to her daughters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nightbird311 said:

I was going to watch Reflections in a Golden Eye this go round on TCM for the review but by the time I was ready it had already dropped off the "on demand" queue and I had to go with an Amazon Prime offering which was in normal color.  

As far as an object in each scene without the gold tone, they must have meant just the static sequences it would have been a bit problematic for the runaway horse episode. 

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it is a shame DH LAWRENCE did not live to see this movie. [SUSAN SLADE]

Because ... ?

His short story "The Rocking Horse Winner"?

I haven't seen the movie, just curious, though.

///

Bed & Board  (1970)  -  7/10

domicile-conjugal.jpg

French comedy-drama from writer-director Francois Truffaut. In the further adventures of Antoine Doniel (Jean-Pierre Leaud), he's now married to longtime girlfriend Christine (Claude Jade), and the two are making a go at life. She gives violin lessons, while he dyes flowers for a nearby florist. When they learn that a baby is on the way, Antoine seeks new employment piloting remote control boats (!!!!) for a large company, where he meets an exotic Japanese woman (Hiroko Berghauer), tempting him toward infidelity. With Daniel Ceccaldi, Claire Duhamel, Barbara Laage, Daniele Girard, and Claude Vega. This was another entertaining film from Truffaut, nearly as witty and charming as Stolen Kisses

Source: The Criterion Channel

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh man.  If it's set in the 60s and there's a beach, I'M ALL IN. 50s/60s teen beach movies are my life (okay not really, but I love them). Right now my life is Dylan McKay and Beverly Hills 90210

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, laffite said:

Because ... ?

His short story "The Rocking Horse Winner"?

I haven't seen the movie, just curious, though.

///

HORSE RIDING was equated in many ways with SUSAN SLADE's budding and VOLATILE sexuality, there were also a lot of ANIMAL HUSBANDRY references and an equating of TROY DONAHUE'S profession as STABLE BOY reminded me of the earthy link to sexuality LAWRENCE applied to his gardener in LADY CHATTERLY (man of the land must be more RUGGED and in touch with HUMAN EMOTION and SEX etc.) 

Plus it was just REALLY TRASHY.

I bet DH would've been a big ole' SOAP OPERA QUEEN.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lydecker said:

I don't get the appeal of Eddie Fisher either.  He landed both Debbie Reynolds and Connie Stevens.  Eddie Fisher very much has a sleazy, smarmy quality to me. 

• Like 1

Oh man.  If it's set in the 60s and there's a beach, I'M ALL IN. 50s/60s teen beach movies are my life (okay not really, but I love them). Right now my life is Dylan McKay and Beverly Hills 90210

I HAD A VERY SIMILAR EXPERIENCE WITH JESSICA FLETCHER EARLIER THIS SUMMER, SO I CAN RELATE.

(Wow, kinda crazy to think she outlived Dylan!)

• Like 1

I don't get the appeal of Eddie Fisher either.  He landed both Debbie Reynolds and Connie Stevens.  Eddie Fisher very much has a sleazy, smarmy quality to me. 

i DON'T GET IT EITHER. HE MUST'VE BEEN A HUMAN TRIPOD OR SOMETHING....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I HAD A VERY SIMILAR EXPERIENCE WITH JESSICA FLETCHER EARLIER THIS SUMMER, SO I CAN RELATE.

(Wow, kinda crazy to think she outlived Dylan!)

I'm still so sad about Dylan! What a h o t t i e! Who cares about his alcoholism and eventual heroin addiction? I can fix him! Lol. Plus he drives that sweet Porsche.

I literally just sit on the couch, watching episodes of '90210' gawking at Dylan and being jealous of Brenda during the constant scenes of them making out. Then I remember that there is a plot to pay attention to.

Image result for dylan mckay