speedracer5

I Just Watched...

21,496 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Hey speedy, we're watching 90210 right now LOL. Yes, Luke was a H-o-t-tie :D

He's so freaking hot. Ugh! Who cares about stupid Brandon?

I'm on I think episode 4 of season 3. Brenda and Donna are in Paris.  Things are looking toward a summer fling between Dylan and Kelly at the beach.  Heck, Kelly was already moving in on Dylan when Brenda's airport shuttle was literally still on her street.  Brenda is such a b. Dylan deserves better. I'm definitely Team Dylan/Kelly. I do remember a Dylan/Brenda/Kelly love triangle, so I'm here for that too!

I watched this show during its original run, but didn't see a lot of the Brenda episodes--the show started when I was 6, I wasn't into it then.  But late elementary school through sophomore year of high school, I was there! Every Wednesday night at 8! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

He's so freaking hot. Ugh! Who cares about stupid Brandon?

I'm on I think episode 4 of season 3. Brenda and Donna are in Paris.  Things are looking toward a summer fling between Dylan and Kelly at the beach.  Heck, Kelly was already moving in on Dylan when Brenda's airport shuttle was literally still on her street.  Brenda is such a b. Dylan deserves better. I'm definitely Team Dylan/Kelly. I do remember a Dylan/Brenda/Kelly love triangle, so I'm here for that too!

I watched this show during its original run, but didn't see a lot of the Brenda episodes--the show started when I was 6, I wasn't into it then.  But late elementary school through sophomore year of high school, I was there! Every Wednesday night at 8! 

You gals and your love of the bad boy.

image.jpeg.5f328e86ce87d30a992e928093083a73.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nightbird311 said:

The recent showing of “Reflections in a Golden Eye” was the gold-tinted version, which I had never seen.  It was distracting at first until I got used to it.  It didn’t really seem to add anything to the story, though.  I had read that there was supposedly one object in each scene without the gold tone, but I didn’t notice that on my TV anyway.  The movie itself was interesting, if overwrought, and Brando especially was excellent in a role at one time meant for Montgomery Clift.

And I’ve always thought Robert Mapplethorpe would be a big fan of that gold tinted print they show. 

58 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I bet DH would've been a big ole' SOAP OPERA QUEEN.

Not to get to serious about this, but I think he would have abhorred soap opera. Conventional behavior was abhorrent to him. I'm hardly a scholar but think about the novel Women in Love, where the main characters seek intrinsic and personal values in finding themselves, rather than blithely conforming with norms. Just a thought. And who knows, he might still have been amused on some level. A guilty pleasure, perhaps.

• Like 1

Claire's Knee  (1970)  -  5/10

220px-Claire's_Knee.jpg

French drama from writer-director Eric Rohmer. Jean-Claude Brialy stars as French Cat Stevens, a 30-something-year-old guy who the chicks really dig. He meets old friend Aurora (Aurora Cornu), and vacations on a lake, where he meets landlady Madame Walter (Michele Montel) and her teen daughter Laura (Beatrice Romand) who immediately has a crush on French Cat Stevens, because girls at that time really dug Cat Stevens. Later, FCS meets Laura's slightly older sister Claire (Laurence de Monaghan), who has the best knees. One look and FCS falls for her, and can't wait to get his mitts on that sweet, young knee. Plus, talking. With Gerard Falconetti and Fabrice Luchini. Rohmer's shtick has worn thin for me by this point, with insufferable French pseudo-intellectuals spouting inanities while contemplating bedding each other. This was #5 in Rohmer's Six Moral Tales. I can't wait for the last one to see how it all gets wrapped up.

Source: The Criterion Channel

French Cat Stevens, undoubtedly scoping out some hot knee action.

Claire00003.jpg

18 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You gals and your love of the bad boy.

image.jpeg.5f328e86ce87d30a992e928093083a73.jpeg

Brandon is too much of a whiner! Dylan's at least confident! 

I have an ever growing list of men to add to my harem (is that what it'd be called for a woman collecting boyfriends?). 

-Errol Flynn

-Luke Perry

-Jim Morrison

-Ricky Nelson (he's the boyfriend you'd bring home to meet the parents)

• Haha 1

220px-Claire's_Knee.jpg

A poster for a fetishist of a certain feather. Who me? Not really, in this case, anyway. But it's still pretty sexy.

:ph34r:

28 minutes ago, laffite said:

220px-Claire's_Knee.jpg

A poster for a fetishist of a certain feather. Who me? Not really, in this case, anyway. But it's still pretty sexy.

:ph34r:

They should remake this one for the people who like feet. :lol: 

43 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

They should remake this one for the people who like feet. :lol: 

Actually it goes best with feet, I wasn't even thinking of that one. That goes to show you where my fetishes tend to and where they do not. I was never much of foot man. Not to be confused with footman (whose sometime reputations in some novels have a bawdiness of their own).

//

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i DON'T GET IT EITHER. HE MUST'VE BEEN A HUMAN TRIPOD OR SOMETHING....

The only possible explanation.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

connie-stevens-us-singer-and-film-actres

I saw SUSAN SLADE (1961?) for the first time last night...

it was DELISH.

CONNIE FRANCIS plays the daughter of DORoTHY MAGUIRE- who apparently made  ENEMIES FOR LIFE of the hair and make-up people- and LLOYD NOLAN- who I actually think gives the best performance in PEYTON PLACE- that doesn't have anything to do with anything, I just think he handles himself quite well in the courtroom scene.

CONNIE has waist-length tresses and she and her folks live in a FAAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS ASIAN STYLE HOME ON THE CALIFORNIA COAST OVERLOOKING THE SEA CRASHING ON THE ROCKS in MONTERREY. RON AND NANCY ARE PROBABLY RIGHT DOWN THE STREET. .

Connie has waist-length tresses and she gets a second horse for her birthday. I hate her. sort of.

i mean, she can ROCK A FALL like no other-

th?id=OIP.Xho4POxenwvmEichImmQTwAAAA&pid

ASIDE- THE LEITMOTIF of horses, horse-riding and weird-**** horse people got DAMN OLD DAMN FAST you could even say they were "beating" it...

it is a shame DH LAWRENCE did not live to see this movie.

Connie gets pregnant and the father falls out of the picture and DOROTHY MAGUIRE- her mother and graduate of the JOAN CRAWFORD SCHOOL FOR PARENTING- SAYS THEY CAN PASS OFF THE KID AS HERS, MEANING DOROTHY MAGUIRE IS GOING TO CLAIM to all their society friends (among whom is none other than LOVEY HOWELL herself Natalie Schaeffer!) THAT SHE IS:

1. the one who is pregnant and...

2. GOING TO GUATAMALA TO HAVE THE BABY, BECAUSE- YEAH- THAT'S TOTALLY A PLACE KNOWN FOR THE ACE MEDICAL CARE AND SECURE SURROUNDINGS IN WHICH TO BIRTH A BABY...MIND YOU,THAT IS ONLY IF CALCUTTA IS ALREADY BOOKED FOR THE WEEK.

I would give anything for one of the old society ladies at the luncheon MAGUIRE gives where she tells them she is pregnant and moving away to ask IF THE RABBIT DIED LAUGHING.

(YES, THAT'S FROM THE GOLDEN GIRLS)

i cannot tell you how many times i rewatched CONNIE'S BIG "FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION" MOMENT WHERE SHE TEARS OFF HER DRESS AND RIPS AT HER HAIR. I REMEMEBER COMING ACROSS THIS IMAGE WHILE WATCHING BAD MOVIES WE LOVE, AN OLD SHOW ON TNT AND NEVER KNEW WHERE IT WAS FROM, BUT IT HAS BEEN BURNED INTO MY WORM-ADDLED BRAIN EVER SINCE.

th?id=OIP.H8Slc4n9FSpIoGJFjkTypQHaEK&pid

And, in the interest of being totally tasteless, let us not forget the Burning Baby of "Susan Slade."  Yes, Susan who was SO anxious to play Mommy to the child appropriated by her Mommy, lets the kid play with a lighter and then is shocked, shocked, that the kid sets himself on fire. (This movie has got everything  --  teenage pregnancy, love triangles, dead fathers, gorgeous real estate AND burning babies.) The producers of this epic, anxious to make sure everybody knows that that "No babies or animals have been harmed in the production of this movie" proceed to pour lighter fluid on the most obviously plastic non-child ever incinerated on film. The cheesiest effects of the worst horror film you have ever seen has nothing on this scene. 

• Like 3

Yeah, the burning doll scene. LOL. Susan Slade has it all!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Brandon is too much of a whiner! Dylan's at least confident! 

I have an ever growing list of men to add to my harem (is that what it'd be called for a woman collecting boyfriends?). 

-Errol Flynn

-Luke Perry

-Jim Morrison

-Ricky Nelson (he's the boyfriend you'd bring home to meet the parents)

As for Ricky Nelson;  he's the guy you'd bring home to meet the parents pretending to be your boyfriend,  while you double date with Luke Perry and Ricky's actual girlfriend.     

• Like 1

Donkey Skin  (1970)  -  6/10

Peau_ane.jpg

French director Jacques Demy finally went around the bend with this fantasy musical. Catherine Deneuve stars as a princess whose father the king (Jean Marais), slightly mad with grief over the death of the queen and vowing to marry the most beautiful girl in the realm, announces that he will marry his own daughter. To escape this untenable situation, the princess pretends to be a scullery maid named Donkey Skin (she wears a donkey's skin, of course!), and she meets a prince charming (Jacques Perrin). With Delphin Seyrig as the fabulous Lilac Fairy Godmother, Micheline Presle, Fernand Ledoux, Henri Cremieux, and Sacha Pitoeff. This very colorful, child-like fairy tale has some charm to go with its bizarre lunacy. The production design is a mix of the gorgeous and the tacky, with some elaborate costumes, and set art that looks like something a stoner would paint on the side of his van in the late 70's. In the end it's still a French musical, so I could only enjoy it so far. Still, I liked it more than the critically acclaimed Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Young Girls of Rochefort.

Source: The Criterion Channel

Catherine-Deneuve-in-Donkeyskin-1970-mov

MV5BYzBkZjA0YjAtYTgzZS00YTI3LWI5NDYtMjAz

Donkey-Skin-4.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lydecker said:

And, in the interest of being totally tasteless, let us not forget the Burning Baby of "Susan Slade."  Yes, Susan who was SO anxious to play Mommy to the child appropriated by her Mommy, lets the kid play with a lighter and then is shocked, shocked, that the kid sets himself on fire. (This movie has got everything  --  teenage pregnancy, love triangles, dead fathers, gorgeous real estate AND burning babies.) The producers of this epic, anxious to make sure everybody knows that that "No babies or animals have been harmed in the production of this movie" proceed to pour lighter fluid on the most obviously plastic non-child ever incinerated on film. The cheesiest effects of the worst horror film you have ever seen has nothing on this scene. 

Omg. I forgot about the burning baby scene!...I know. I can't believe it either.

I guess that's the effect of too much Dylan McKay on the brain.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for Ricky Nelson;  he's the guy you'd bring home to meet the parents pretending to be your boyfriend,  while you double date with Luke Perry and Ricky's actual girlfriend.     

Lol.

Jim Morrison would be the guy for whom I would sneak out of the house in the middle of the night, to meet in some sleazy motel across the street from the Whisky A-Go-Go. 

Flynn would be my sophisticated boyfriend who would take me to fancy parties and invite me to go sailing with him. 

Every man in my harem has a purpose. Lol.

9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

connie-stevens-us-singer-and-film-actres

I saw SUSAN SLADE (1961?) for the first time last night...

it was DELISH.

CONNIE FRANCIS plays the daughter of DORoTHY MAGUIRE- who apparently made  ENEMIES FOR LIFE of the hair and make-up people- and LLOYD NOLAN- who I actually think gives the best performance in PEYTON PLACE- that doesn't have anything to do with anything, I just think he handles himself quite well in the courtroom scene.

CONNIE has waist-length tresses and she and her folks live in a FAAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS ASIAN STYLE HOME ON THE CALIFORNIA COAST OVERLOOKING THE SEA CRASHING ON THE ROCKS in MONTERREY. RON AND NANCY ARE PROBABLY RIGHT DOWN THE STREET. .

Connie has waist-length tresses and she gets a second horse for her birthday. I hate her. sort of.

i mean, she can ROCK A FALL like no other-

th?id=OIP.Xho4POxenwvmEichImmQTwAAAA&pid

ASIDE- THE LEITMOTIF of horses, horse-riding and weird-**** horse people got DAMN OLD DAMN FAST you could even say they were "beating" it...

it is a shame DH LAWRENCE did not live to see this movie.

Connie gets pregnant and the father falls out of the picture and DOROTHY MAGUIRE- her mother and graduate of the JOAN CRAWFORD SCHOOL FOR PARENTING- SAYS THEY CAN PASS OFF THE KID AS HERS, MEANING DOROTHY MAGUIRE IS GOING TO CLAIM to all their society friends (among whom is none other than LOVEY HOWELL herself Natalie Schaeffer!) THAT SHE IS:

1. the one who is pregnant and...

2. GOING TO GUATAMALA TO HAVE THE BABY, BECAUSE- YEAH- THAT'S TOTALLY A PLACE KNOWN FOR THE ACE MEDICAL CARE AND SECURE SURROUNDINGS IN WHICH TO BIRTH A BABY...MIND YOU,THAT IS ONLY IF CALCUTTA IS ALREADY BOOKED FOR THE WEEK.

I would give anything for one of the old society ladies at the luncheon MAGUIRE gives where she tells them she is pregnant and moving away to ask IF THE RABBIT DIED LAUGHING.

(YES, THAT'S FROM THE GOLDEN GIRLS)

i cannot tell you how many times i rewatched CONNIE'S BIG "FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION" MOMENT WHERE SHE TEARS OFF HER DRESS AND RIPS AT HER HAIR. I REMEMEBER COMING ACROSS THIS IMAGE WHILE WATCHING BAD MOVIES WE LOVE, AN OLD SHOW ON TNT AND NEVER KNEW WHERE IT WAS FROM, BUT IT HAS BEEN BURNED INTO MY WORM-ADDLED BRAIN EVER SINCE.

th?id=OIP.H8Slc4n9FSpIoGJFjkTypQHaEK&pid

Lorna, I was so hoping you would get the opportunity to see this! It is something like bad movie heaven. I can only add, "What was the costume designer thinking by putting Dorothy McGuire in a mustard-colored dress?" I believe that's her first appearance in the film. In A Summer Place McGuire gets to wear a dark blue gown which is very becoming, perfect for her coloring. If you follow the "four seasons" approach which was so popular 25 years ago, Dorothy McGuire is a "summer" who should run like the dickens from colors like mustard, gold, and lime-green.

• Like 1

The Garden of the Finzi-Continis  (1970)  -  7/10

FinziContini.jpg

Italian WWII drama from director Vittorio De Sica. The film tracks the lives of a handful of Italian Jews in Fascist Italy during the early war years. As the government passes more and more oppressive anti-Semitic laws, the Finzi-Continis, a wealthy Jewish family, lives in isolated luxury on their walled estate, where they invite others to relax in their expansive gardens and tennis courts. Giorgio (Lino Capolicchio), another local Jew, is in love with Micol Finzi Contini (Dominique Sanda), and he's also friends with her sickly brother Alberto (Helmut Berger). As the war progresses, all three have their relationships tested. Also with Fabio Testi, Romolo Valli, and Barbara Pilavin. De Sica's successful film is a well-shot, moving tale featuring good performances from the young cast. The film earned an Oscar nod for Best Adapted Screenplay, and it won for Best Foreign Language Film.

Source: YouTube

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am watching 90210 right now.  Poor Brenda cannot find boyfriend Dylan aka "super h o t t i e" in Palm Springs. He rented a hotel room and she was supposed to meet him.  Brenda, that fool, didn't write down the name of the hotel! Man, if I had Dylan freaking McKay waiting for me, I'd be writing that crap down! Anyway, I digress.

I actually did manage to watch a film noir last night--Side Street (1950)

This film is a re-teaming of Farley Granger and Cathy O'Donnell from They Live By Night. Granger and O'Donnell play a young married couple who are expecting a baby. Granger has lost his job at a gas station and currently works as a part-time mailman. Only wanting the best for his expectant wife, he decides to steal a nominal amount from one of the lawyers on his route.  Except, he ends up stealing $30k from a crooked lawyer.  Is it still considered committing a crime if you steal stolen money? The $30k was apparently the proceeds from an extortion attempt committed by the crooked attorney. 

Granger then explains his sudden windfall to his wife by stating that he found a lucrative job, out of town. Because of course.  Sketchy things always seem to happen "out of town." Granger then puts the money in a package and asks a local bartender to keep his parcel safe.

The rest of the film depicts the corrupt attorney and his cronies, including a young Jean Hagen, trying to locate Granger and their missing money. 

This was a great film. I really enjoyed the pairing of Granger and O'Donnell.  During the car chase scene, I loved the overhead air shots of the cars driving between the tall buildings.  There was a lot of interesting cinematography that I enjoyed.  In this film, Jean Hagen reminded me of an older version of a 1940s-era Judy Garland.

This was an old Noir Alley recording--back when Noir Alley was only on Sundays at 7am, and Eddie Muller's intro and closing were excellent, per usual. I don't think I've been disappointed by one of his selections yet. 

• Thanks 1

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion  (1970)  -  8/10

91xwBn0dHiL._SX342_.jpg

Italian crime drama/black comedy with Gian Maria Volonte as a high-ranking police official who murders his mistress (Florinda Bolkan) and leaves clues that point to him as the culprit. Flashbacks show his twisted relationship with the mistress, as well as outlining his political and law enforcement philosophies. Meanwhile, in the present, he tracks the progress of the murder investigation by the detectives under his command. With Gianni Santucci, Orazio Orlando, Sergio Tramonti, Arturo Dominici, and Massimo Foschi. Writer-director Elio Petri paints a scathing portrait of corruption in the upper echelons of power, while Volonte, who I know mainly from spaghetti westerns, turns in the performance of a lifetime, at times pathetic, at others terrifying. The production is helped immensely by one of the best scores of Ennio Morricone's career, too. The film won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. Recommended.

Source: internet

indagine13.jpg

citizen.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, lydecker said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO SORRY, In my rush to word vomit my feelings in re: SUSAN SLADE, i did not even get to THE BURNING BABY SCENE which, SERIOUSLY- THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXACT TRANSCRIPTION (FROM MEMORY) OF MY HONEST-TO-GOD THOUGHTS ON WATCHING THE SCENE FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT EVENING:

"What the Hell...? Well, the child has gone and set a life-size doll of himself on fire. Who the hell gives a little boy a life-sized doll of himself? That is odd. And of course he's going to burn it, i mean- give a little boy a life size doll and you're lucky if setting it on fire is ALL he does to it...Wait, now Troy is wrapping a blanket around it? No, you're going to get SCALDING HOT PLASTIC ON YOU, TROY...Wait, now they're taking the burned doll to the hospi...

[FINALLY GETS IT]

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!!!!

Oh that is cheap!"

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, there was AT LEAST a 15 second delay before i realized it was supposed to be the child and not a doll the child set on fire.

this movie took me down at least three IQ points...I've been thinking about re-watching it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mother Didn't Tell Me (1950): I wasn't familiar with this Dorothy McGuire film, never even heard of it, caught it on her day.

An of-its-time "comedy", she's married to a doctor, with, of course, complications. Dorothy was a pleasure to watch in a non-serious role.

She and June Havoc (also a doctor's wife) wear some nice New Look fashions.... (I don't think they had scenes together in Gentleman's Agreement? )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO SORRY, In my rush to word vomit my feelings in re: SUSAN SLADE, i did not even get to THE BURNING BABY SCENE which, SERIOUSLY- THE FOLLOWING IS AN EXACT TRANSCRIPTION (FROM MEMORY) OF MY HONEST-TO-GOD THOUGHTS ON WATCHING THE SCENE FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT EVENING:

"What the Hell...? Well, the child has gone and set a life-size doll of himself on fire. Who the hell gives a little boy a life-sized doll of himself? That is odd. And of course he's going to burn it, i mean- give a little boy a life size doll and you're lucky if setting it on fire is ALL he does to it...Wait, now Troy is wrapping a blanket around it? No, you're going to get SCALDING HOT PLASTIC ON YOU, TROY...Wait, now they're taking the burned doll to the hospi...

[FINALLY GETS IT]

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!!!!

Oh that is cheap!"

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, there was AT LEAST a 15 second delay before i realized it was supposed to be the child and not a doll the child set on fire.

this movie took me down at least three IQ points...I've been thinking about re-watching it.

I'd say about ten! (points). LOL!

• Thanks 1