speedracer5

I Just Watched...

20,960 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I watched "HIGH WALL" last night, apparently that is the official title (?), which just seems stupid since it REALLY SHOULD BE "THE HIGH WALL", but, what are you gonna do?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrtnIpxXhcVVQHGrhOKke

v1.bTsxMTIzOTE3OTtqOzE4MjY1OzEyMDA7MTk5N

I tried watching this when it aired on NOIR ALLEY  awhile back and ROBERT TAYLOR'S monotone drove me away...I made it all the way through this time, and while it has some real faults- it's not  abad way to kill an hour and a half.

I absolutely LOVED the photography and all the use of RAIN in this movie, there were also some excellent montages and scene transitions, some rapid edits and great music- this was more like a WARNER BROS picture than an MGM one.

AUDREY TOTTER costars in the role of a Psychiatrist who makes Dr. Harlene Quinzel look like a beacon of good judgment and wise decision-making, I wonder why directors always wanted to shoot her with a POV camera...feels slightly VOYEURISTIC and PERVERSE.

HERBERT MARSHALL is the best though.

THE RADIO ADAPTATION THEY DID OF THIS MOVIE FOR THE 30 MINUTE SHOW "SUSPENSE" (WITH A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND WAAAAAAY BETTER ENDING absolutely BLOWS THIS MOVIE OUT OF THE WATER.

I think I have this recorded as well.  I haven't watched it yet.  I really cannot remember anything remarkable about Robert Taylor, except 1) He was married to Barbara Stanwyck; and 2) Lucy Ricardo got him to autograph an orange (off screen) at the LA Farmer's market; and 3) His real name is Spangler Arlington Brugh.  What a name.

I love Audrey Totter and I also love movies that feature lots of rain--it makes me feel right at home.  Why wasn't Oregon used for noir? Portland would have been a great noir city! Lots of rain, bridges, trees. 

Herbert Marshall is one of my faves.  I didn't learn about his fake leg until the last couple of years or so--now I look for it when I see him in a film.  I love Marshall's voice.  Is it weird that I thought he was kind of cute in Trouble in Paradise ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. Funny show (though not intended to be).....

Were the crimes on Dragnet based on real LA crimes?

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I'd guess 'yes'.  At the end of each episode, there was always a disclaimer/announcement, "The story you have seen is true.  The names have been changed to protect the innocent.".  And by guessing, I mean I think they were all based on LA area crimes and not something parsed from other parts of California or the United States.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I think so. The original Dragnet aired in the 50s. By the 60s the concept was really dated. But it was popular at the time.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think so. The original Dragnet aired in the 50s. By the 60s the concept was really dated. But it was popular at the time.

I remember on Nick at Nite, during Block Party Summer one year there was "Joe Friday Fridays" or something and it was a 3-hour block of Dragnet.  Being young at the time though, it wasn't a show that interested me. 

The Apple (1980) - The worst musical ever made, or the greatest musical ever made? You decide!

Doesn't the Rocky Horror Picture Show already have that honor? 

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

There's one case where a comic fan is stealing "Captain Lightning" merchandise from stores and theaters--And while Webb and Morgan do plenty of 60's head-shaking about "What happened to our heroes?", given the timing, it's pretty obviously fictionalizing a 60's-Batman obsessed fan.

And whether the 60's Dragnet was "corny" depends on your own opinion of the Hippie movement, which the '66-'68 LA-set series set out to address.  Looking at it today, there's a lot about the movement that now seems like showy, hollow combative psychobabble from "lazy kids", and as rightwing as Joe Friday was, none of it fooled Webb for a second.  You know you're officially your parents when the episode where Friday lectured a snotty privileged kid throwing around "Death of materialistic society" cliche's, and stealing hardware/grocery supplies for his "new commune", actually starts to make SENSE:  

(Darn, and they cut out the line about "You haven't 'given up on our materialistic society', you've given up on paying for it...And that makes you exactly what you said you weren't.")

29 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

No, Rocky Horror Picture Show is wonderful. The sequel- Shock Treatment -was the worst thing I've ever seen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Herbert Marshall is one of my faves.  I didn't learn about his fake leg until the last couple of years or so--now I look for it when I see him in a film.  I love Marshall's voice.  Is it weird that I thought he was kind of cute in Trouble in Paradise ?

herbert_marshall.jpg

"There's nothing weird, young lady, about having remarkably good taste."

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Apple (1980) - The worst musical ever made, or the greatest musical ever made? You decide!

Hey, I actually enjoy Rocky Horror Picture Show quite a bit!

The Apple is also very entertaining, but for a lot of different reasons. Just imagine Biblical End-Times prophecy dramatized as a sci-fi disco musical set against a record-industry backdrop, and filmed in Berlin but set in the "US".

47 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

ever see myra Breckinridge?

15 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

The sequel- Shock Treatment -was the worst thing I've ever seen.

Stuart Whitman isn't that bad, although I'll admit I'm not a particular fan of Lauren Bacall.

Oh, you're talking about a different Shock Treatment.

15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Hey, I actually enjoy Rocky Horror Picture Show quite a bit!

The Apple is also very entertaining, but for a lot of different reasons. Just imagine Biblical End-Times prophecy dramatized as a sci-fi disco musical set against a record-industry backdrop, and filmed in Berlin but set in the "US".

I just wish this film would make it CLEAR whether or not BIM is, in fact, on its way or not.

• Haha 1

A few nights ago I discovered a whole sting of "B" movies on YouTube starring Beverly Michaels.  They're awful, but I can't look away.  My first one was Wicked Woman which begins with  a song by someone who sounds like he's imitating Frankie Lane.  Beverly gets off the bus and you can tell right away that she's wicked because she smokes on the street and she walks. real. slow.   The whole time I felt like I was watching a Carol Burnett parody and wished I had someone to laugh with me.  They're fun!

1 hour ago, AndreaDoria said:

A few nights ago I discovered a whole sting of "B" movies on YouTube starring Beverly Michaels.  They're awful, but I can't look away.  My first one was Wicked Woman which begins with  a song by someone who sounds like he's imitating Frankie Lane.  Beverly gets off the bus and you can tell right away that she's wicked because she smokes on the street and she walks. real. slow.   The whole time I felt like I was watching a Carol Burnett parody and wished I had someone to laugh with me.  They're fun!

She has to walk slow so the randy guys in wheelchairs can catch up with her.

• Haha 1

Two Sisters from Boston (1946).

Acquired taste Kathryn Grayson and reliably boring Peter Lawford star alongside June Allyson in this movie that could just as easily be a rehash of Dames or Gold Diggers of 1933 about somebody from a wealthy family who is secretly involved in the wrong sort of the arts.  This time, it's turn-of-the-century opera singer Grayson forced to slum in Jimmy Durante's Bowery burlesque.

The plot, while old and hoary, still works, although the music is nuts as there are all sorts of non-operatic tunes given lyrics they never had (at the very least I recognized Liszt's "Les Preludes" and "Liebestraum" and Weber's "Invitation to the Dance") for Grayson and some Danish tenor I'd never heard of to sing.

If you like Grayson, you'll like this; if not, watch Dames instead.  6/10.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Acquired taste Kathryn Grayson and reliably boring Peter Lawford star alongside June Allyson in this movie that could just as easily be a rehash of Dames or Gold Diggers of 1933 about somebody from a wealthy family who is secretly involved in the wrong sort of the arts.  This time, it's turn-of-the-century opera singer Grayson forced to slum in Jimmy Durante's Bowery burlesque.

The plot, while old and hoary, still works, although the music is nuts as there are all sorts of non-operatic tunes given lyrics they never had (at the very least I recognized Liszt's "Les Preludes" and "Liebestraum" and Weber's "Invitation to the Dance") for Grayson and some Danish tenor I'd never heard of to sing.

If you like Grayson, you'll like this; if not, watch Dames instead.  6/10.

I'm not a fan of any of those three so I'll watch Dames.

27 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Kathryn Grayson and reliably boring Peter Lawford star alongside June Allyson [...]

Wow, that cast is like my kryptonite. Guaranteed to keep me as far away as possible.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Wow, that cast is like my kryptonite. Guaranteed to keep me as far away as possible.

Lol.  Pretty bad when Peter Lawford is the best option of the three. 

• Haha 2

Did anyone catch this one?

RA5o5Q8.png

That is some weird football helmet that Humphrey Bogart is wearing ... kind of like he's in the Sahara?

36 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Lol.  Pretty bad when Peter Lawford is the best option of the three. 

I've seen plastic plants that have more charisma than Peter Lawford.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who's not a fan of Peter Lawford.

56 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Did anyone catch this one?

RA5o5Q8.png

That is some weird football helmet that Humphrey Bogart is wearing ... kind of like he's in the Sahara?

Maybe he was watching the game from an adjacent airstrip?

I was taken aback while watching "That's My Boy", "The Big Game", and "Gridiron Flash" that the star runners of the winning teams NEVER wore a helmet.  I was looking around at the real game footage used in these films to see if other players played without helmets, and to my surprise, there were a few who did.  Most of us here are old enough to remember when most hockey players never wore helmets.  Now, it's standard equipment for professional pucksters, and for good reason.

9 hours ago, midwestan said:

Maybe he was watching the game from an adjacent airstrip?

I was taken aback while watching "That's My Boy", "The Big Game", and "Gridiron Flash" that the star runners of the winning teams NEVER wore a helmet.  I was looking around at the real game footage used in these films to see if other players played without helmets, and to my surprise, there were a few who did.  Most of us here are old enough to remember when most hockey players never wore helmets.  Now, it's standard equipment for professional pucksters, and for good reason.

Not only do the hockey players wear helmets, but so many of them wear visors now. That was unheard of years ago. I think that is in response to the "stick work" of many modern players. Regarding football helmets, I wonder how many of today's players would be so anxious to lead with their heads when making a tackle if all they had on were those old leather headpieces. The "safer" the headgear, the more careless the player ...

• Like 1