speedracer5

I Just Watched...

21,392 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Someone comes up with 30 questions each month, and everyone's goal is to find a movie that answers each question so that the end result is watching one movie per day. I am very behind lol. 

And I love Shannen bc of "Charmed" and "Heathers," but even she couldn't save the movie... Jason Lee was VERY annoying in it. 

Wow. I like the idea of the scavenger hunt. I don't know if I'd be able to keep up with the 1 movie/day pace. At night, I'm always like... "hmm a movie or 2 episodes of 90210?" I really need to get back into my classic movie viewing. 

I love Heathers.  Shannen also plays Brenda, part of the infamous Brenda-Dylan-Kelly love triangle in 90210. I remember her mostly from that.  She was also little Jenny Wilder, Laura Ingalls Wilder's niece, in the last season of Little House on the Prairie.  I remembered her from that as well. I never watched Charmed. But I'm not the biggest fan of supernatural type shows, so that is probably why.

The only thing I've liked Jason Lee in is Almost Famous. I always laugh when he says something like: "why do you want my opinion? I'm just one of the out of focus guys!" He says that in response to Billy Crudup's question. Lee is upset that their rock band touring t-shirt shows Crudup in the foreground (very clearly) with the remainder of the band, in the background, blurry. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

She seems to have been a pretty interesting woman....and KARL FREUND seems like a real HEEL)

Karl Freund did help develop the 3-camera filming system when Desi Arnaz hired him to work on I Love Lucy, so he at least has that going for him. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Nothing beats this version:

i.e. the clip with Madeleine, wow. She can hiss at me anytime, woohoo. She was a riot.

I don't generally think in termS of 'best ever" but I don't know that I can refrain from opining that YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN  should certainly be on the short list for FUNNIEST EVER honors.

////

34 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

and KARL FREUND seems like a real HEEL)

That doesn't even scratch the surface, I'm sure.

20 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Karl Freund did help develop the 3-camera filming system when Desi Arnaz hired him to work on I Love Lucy, so he at least has that going for him. 

I had forgotten that! 

Man, I hope Karl didn’t try and pull any crap with Lucy. She’d knock you down, then kick you.

I firmly believe Lucille Ball was capable of killing.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, laffite said:

She coulda offered me a drink any time, even if it was Diet Coke. I would have had a chance to deliver my compliments in person.

I spot checked the score on the DVD which has this as a feature and there were instances throughout where it was not too bad ...

...BUT the score at the opening credits and a bit beyond was ATROCIOUS !!! (I hope you don't mind if a borrow a few of your CAPS), mainly because there was a repetitive sharp accent on the first note of each measure that was TOTALLY DISTRACTING. I couldn't believe my ears and I had one of those WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? momentS.  (Boy, using CAPS like that really gets you pumped up, doesn't it? I feel like running around the block a few times, whew!) :lol: .

///

The only proper way to discuss HOW BAD the Philip Glass score for DRACULA is is in ALL CAPS.

7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I had forgotten that! 

Man, I hope Karl didn’t try and pull any crap with Lucy. She’d knock you down, then kick you.

I firmly believe Lucille Ball was capable of killing.

If she wasn't, I'm sure Desi Arnaz knew some people. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

If she wasn't, I'm sure Desi Arnaz knew some people. 

But then again,

Desi Arnaz had a mob hit put out on him when he created The Untouchables for Desilu Playhouse.

I think Lucy and Desi were friends with Frank Sinatra.  He could hook them up. 

27 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The only proper way to discuss HOW BAD the Philip Glass score for DRACULA is is in ALL CAPS.

And a few of these maybe : #$&(@$#*)!!@# ...

A couple of obscure Film Noir....

The Lie (1954)

The Lie Poster

A Bavarian Noir staring Lee Bowman, Ramsay Ames, Harald Maresch, Eva Probst, Joachim Brennecke, and Reinhard Kolldehoff. Bowman works for a diamond importer, he goes out for a night on the town with girlfriend Ames, circus trapeze star Maresch, Ames brother Brennecke and his girlfriend Probst. They get loaded and the next morning Bowman wakes up next to a dead man Kolldehoff. His companions testify against him and he goes to prison.

He gets released on parole a sets out to set things straight. 6/10

The Flame (1947)

The Flame Poster

RKO Noir that stars John Carroll, Vera Ralston, Robert Paige, Broderick Crawford, Henry Travers, Blanche Yurka, and Constance Dowling.

Caroll has a rich brother Robert Paige, he's a sort of invalid, Caroll is a rake. Caroll comes up with a scheme to marry his French girlfriend Vera Ralston to his brother, once he kicks the bucket she will inherit the family fortune and Caroll will marry her. Putting a fly in the ointment is Crawford and his gal pal Dowling. The twist is Dowling is a nightclub singer who is also a past lover of Caroll. -7/10

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Someone comes up with 30 questions each month, and everyone's goal is to find a movie that answers each question so that the end result is watching one movie per day. I am very behind lol. 

And I love Shannen bc of "Charmed" and "Heathers," but even she couldn't save the movie... Jason Lee was VERY annoying in it. 

Have you seen Cry Baby with Johnny Depp, Ricki Lake, and Traci Lords? 

If you haven't, I highly suggest that one. 

I also recommend The Legend of Billie Jean with Helen Slater. Fair is fair!

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Have you seen Cry Baby with Johnny Depp, Ricki Lake, and Traci Lords? 

If you haven't, I highly suggest that one. 

I always like to needle Tim Burton fans by telling first-timers to watch John Waters' "Hairspray" and "Cry Baby", and ask them to "guess which one is the Tim Burton film".

Trick question, of course, they're BOTH goofy-kitschy-campy John Waters, but watch how many will say Cry Baby was the Burton film because Johnny Depp was in it.  😛

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I always like to needle Tim Burton fans by telling first-timers to watch John Waters' "Hairspray" and "Cry Baby", and ask them to "guess which one is the Tim Burton film".

Trick question, of course, they're BOTH goofy-kitschy-campy John Waters, but watch how many will say Cry Baby was the Burton film because Johnny Depp was in it.  😛

I'm glad Tim Burton didn't have his hand in Cry Baby.  John Waters did a great job with this film.

I'm not the biggest fan of Burton, he seems to be very much a one-trick pony. I don't understand why Nightmare Before Christmas has taken on this cult following to the point where it takes over Disneyland's Haunted Mansion from September-December every year.  The original 1969 version of the ride is much better.  Nightmare Before Christmas is okay, but it hardly warrants this cult status that it has.  Maybe that's the Oogie Boogie in me speaking.

The Tim Burton films that I did like were Big Fish (though I wish there was more Ewan McGregor and less killjoy Billy Crudup) and Ed Wood

If interested, to round out the films of Shannon Doherty I highly recommend Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1985), which starred a very young Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

If interested, to round out the films of Shannon Doherty I highly recommend Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1985), which starred a very young Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt.

I've heard about this film from the 90210 podcast that I'm listening to.  I'm sure that the library has this film.

I was also re-listening to the series on the Hollywood Blacklist HUAC hearings on a classic Hollywood podcast that I listened to...

Has anyone seen Miss Parker and the Vicious Circle ? It apparently stars Jennifer Jason Leigh as Dorothy Parker.  It sounds really interesting. My library doesn't have it.  I can rent it on Amazon though.

45 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I was also re-listening to the series on the Hollywood Blacklist HUAC hearings on a classic Hollywood podcast that I listened to...

Has anyone seen Miss Parker and the Vicious Circle ? It apparently stars Jennifer Jason Leigh as Dorothy Parker.  It sounds really interesting. My library doesn't have it.  I can rent it on Amazon though.

this might start a flame war, but I can't stand JENNIFER JASON LEE [EDIT, I HAVE BEEN CORRECTED ON THIS MISTAKE, BUT I LEAVE IT OUT OF SHAME UNCORRECTED FOR POSTERITY], although I certainly haven't seen everything she's done, including this. I think ALAN RUDOLPH directed it and his films are often POLARIZING.

i'D RECOMMEND readinga collection of DOROTHY PARKER'S stories and poetry, which is noteworthy coming from me as i (generally) do not care for short stories or poetry, but I like hers a lot.

she also wrote some damn funny reviews.

9780143106081_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

SOMEBODY'S SONG

This is what I vow;
He shall have my heart to keep,
Sweetly will we stir and sleep,
All the years, as now.
Swift the measured sands may run;
Love like this is never done;
He and I are welded one:
This is what I vow.

This is what I pray:
Keep him by me tenderly;
Keep him sweet in pride of me,
Ever and a day;
Keep me from the old distress;
Let me, for our happiness,
Be the one to love the less:
This is what I pray.

This is what I know:
Lovers' oaths are thin as rain;
Love's a harbinger of pain-
Would it were not so!
Ever is my heart a-thirst,
Ever is my love accurst;
He is neither last nor first:
This is what I know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

this might start a flame war, but I can't stand JENNIFER JASON LEE, although I certainly haven't seen everything she's done, including this. I think ALAN RUDOLPH directed it and his films are often POLARIZING.

OH MY GOD HOW DARE YOU!!!!

Just kidding, I don't care about Jennifer Jason Leigh one way or the other.  I've liked her in some things (Fast Times at Ridgemont HighMiami Blues) but not in others. 

I never watched Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle, although I recall renting it out regularly.

Do we really have flame wars around here? The most I ever see is one grumpy comment here or there, and that's usually from me, and it's either deleted by a Mod or I delete it myself.

I love Dorothy Parker....I love Jennifer Jason Leigh (Hey, spell her DAMN NAME CORRECTLY!)  and I love the film, Mrs. Parker.

Admittedly, Jennifer's accent becomes incomprehensible at some point, but that's because of the drink.

The film has Lili Taylor as Edna Ferber, so it's worth it just for that.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

OH MY GOD HOW DARE YOU!!!!

Just kidding, I don't care about Jennifer Jason Leigh one way or the other.  I've liked her in some things (Fast Times at Ridgemont HighMiami Blues) but not in others. 

I never watched Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle, although I recall renting it out regularly.

Do we really have flame wars around here? The most I ever see is one grumpy comment here or there, and that's usually from me, and it's either deleted by a Mod or I delete it myself.

i HATE EVEN USING THE (oops caps lock AGAIN!) term "flame war" it was lazy of mine (i'm writing on the side a lot and my vocabulary is strained at the moment)...i just know there are certain actors and actresses who have fierce devotees (see also FRANCES MACDORMAND or LUISE RAINER) and sometimes they get- y'know, impassioned in their defenses.

my two favorite remarks in re: JENNIFER JASON LEIGH are a critic whose name I don't recall remarking that she attacked parts like a terrier on a tube sock (i paraphrase, but it was good) and PREMIERE'S LIBBY GELMAN-WAXNER (SP?) who wondered aloud in her review of SINGLE WHITE FEMALE whether JJL had a clause in her contacts that OUTRIGHT DEMANDED FULL FRONTAL NUDITY.

edit- i did, for the record, spell it right in this post, just so you all know i know how it is spelled. oh God, I hang my head in SHAME.

• Haha 1

I LIKE TO HAVE A MARTINI

TWO AT THE VERY MOST

AFTER THREE I'M UNDER THE TABLE

AFTER FOUR I'M UNDER THE HOST

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

She was, of course, BRUCE LEE'S daughter you all know.

oh god, I broke my FIRST COMMANDMENT- if one is going to be critical, one really should spell the target of one's criticism correctly.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

I love Dorothy Parker....I love Jennifer Jason Leigh (Hey, spell her DAMN NAME CORRECTLY!)  and I love the film, Mrs. Parker.

Admittedly, Jennifer's accent becomes incomprehensible at some point, but that's because of the drink.

The film has Lili Taylor as Edna Ferber, so it's worth it just for that.

The podcast I listened to played a clip from the film.  I've never heard a recording of the real Dorothy Parker speaking.  Is that really her accent?  It was interesting.  She kind of sounded like a drunk Katharine Hepburn with a sprinkling of Bette Davis. 

• Like 1

From what I understand Parker did sound like that;  I assume that Jennifer had some source recordings to draw on.

Your description sounds apt, sort of a Locust Valley Lockjaw Drunk Drawl.