speedracer5

I Just Watched...

21,476 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

this might start a flame war, but I can't stand JENNIFER JASON LEE [EDIT, I HAVE BEEN CORRECTED ON THIS MISTAKE, BUT I LEAVE IT OUT OF SHAME UNCORRECTED FOR POSTERITY], although I certainly haven't seen everything she's done, including this. I think ALAN RUDOLPH directed it and his films are often POLARIZING.

i'D RECOMMEND readinga collection of DOROTHY PARKER'S stories and poetry, which is noteworthy coming from me as i (generally) do not care for short stories or poetry, but I like hers a lot.

she also wrote some damn funny reviews.

9780143106081_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

Thanks I was considering borrowing some of Parker's work from the library.  Maybe I'll do so after I finish reading Shannen Doherty's book called Badass: A Hard-Earned Guide to Living Life With Style and (the Right) Attitude

I think I've only seen Jennifer Jason Leigh in Fast Times at Ridgemont High and I swear she was in an early 80s movie about anorexia that we had to watch in Health class in high school. 

12 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

I LIKE TO HAVE A MARTINI

TWO AT THE VERY MOST

AFTER THREE I'M UNDER THE TABLE

AFTER FOUR I'M UNDER THE HOST

That is hilarious. I'd love to have that embroidered on a sampler--but I'm sure I'd hear negative comments about it from my mom. Haha. 

I've also seen a cross-stitch sampler that said "Please no cocaine in the bathroom."  That would probably be okay. Haha. 

It was a TV movie called Best Little Girl in the World (1981), I remember seeing it at the time.

• Thanks 1

Entertainment Weekly, after Miami Blues and Last Exit to Brooklyn dubs JJL  "The Meryl Streep of Bimbos."

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

but I can't stand JENNIFER JASON [ LEIGH ]

I've had that feeling about her too, there's something repulsive about her ... and she was no Dorothy Parker IMO.

52 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i'D RECOMMEND readinga collection of DOROTHY PARKER'S stories and poetry

We're discussing "Big Blonde" on the my Book Circle (named after Dodo's club.) "Somebody's Song" may just might be her song (i.e. the big blonde). A great story is "Mrs Hofstadter on Josephine Street." That was a random selection chosen from the Portable Dorothy Parker (I don't have a copy of that any more, looking for it). Anyway, that story is a damn riot. And of her criticism, do I need to even say the famous quip regarding Katharine H. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B.......(K. Hepburn).

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Have you seen Cry Baby with Johnny Depp, Ricki Lake, and Traci Lords? 

If you haven't, I highly suggest that one. 

I also recommend The Legend of Billie Jean with Helen Slater. Fair is fair!

I have seen Cry Baby. I liked it; it was a lot of fun :) I will add Legend of Billie Jean to my watchlist 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoyCronin said:

It was a TV movie called Best Little Girl in the World (1981), I remember seeing it at the time.

That sounds about right.  I think Eva Marie Saint was in this movie or maybe she was in the Jodie Foster one. There's a Jodie Foster movie from the same time that has a very similar name, like "The Little Girl Down the Lane" or something like that.  I always get these two movies mixed up. 

28 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I have seen Cry Baby. I liked it; it was a lot of fun :) I will add Legend of Billie Jean to my watchlist 

If you haven't seen Valley Girl, I recommend that one as well.  

I love teen movies... maybe not the ones made now though. They seem too twee? I need some kind of scandalous sexual element or something to them. 

• Like 1

Lorna,

I don't see much of a flame war on here re: JJL and her acting skillz... or perhaps lack thereof in this case? It seems everyone is in agreement that JJL=not so good; Dorothy Parker= awesome.

I always laugh at Stacey in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  Here's Stacey, seemingly ashamed about being a virgin. By the time the movie ends, she's had sex with some random guy in a dugout (who if I remember right, is way too old for her), tried to have sex with Rat who turns her down, and then has sex with Damone in the pool house, leading to her getting a secret abortion.  I'm like "Girl. Calm Down." I cannot hear Jackson Browne's "Somebody's Baby" without thinking of Stacey "making it" (as they say on 90210) with some guy in the dugout. 

• Like 2

Trivia Question: (Don't look it up!)  When Stacy is in that dugout and looking up at the ceiling what graffiti does she see?

1 minute ago, RoyCronin said:

Trivia Question: (Don't look it up!)  When Stacy is in that dugout and looking up at the ceiling what graffiti does she see?

Hmm.  I don't remember.  Something about Damone? He seems like the type that would have sex in the dugout on the regular.

It says SURF NAZIS MUST DIE.

Why, I don't know, but Stacy just stares at it.  Now you know if it is ever a Jeopardy answer.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

Why, I don't know, but Stacy just stares at it.  Now you know if it is ever a Jeopardy answer.

Spicoli probably wrote that.  Maybe Mr. Hand kept him from surfing one day.

41 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Lorna,

I don't see much of a flame war on here re: JJL and her acting skillz... or perhaps lack thereof in this case? It seems everyone is in agreement that JJL=not so good; Dorothy Parker= awesome.

I cannot hear Jackson Browne's "Somebody's Baby" without thinking of Stacey "making it" (as they say on 90210) with some guy in the dugout. 

TO BE FAIR, JJL does have MOVIE STAR LOOKS and maybe even presence...you may know she is the daughter of VIC MORROW- the actor who was killed on the set of THE TWILIGHT ZONE MOVIE through, let's face it, the gross negligence of The Director...

so- i think she maybe felt a need in her prime (the 1990's) to overcompensate- TO PROVE THAT SHE DESERVED TO BE STAR ON HER OWN TALENT AND MERIT AND NOT BECAUSE OF A TRAGEDY TO WHICH SHE WAS CONNECTED (that damn caps lock, I swear). see also: LIZA MINELLI. 

She ends up giving some HARD, JOYLESS, BRITTLE, EMOTIVE, OVERLY MANNERED (yes, I think that's a legit term for her work) in THE HUDSUCKER PROXY and SINGLE WHITE FEMALE and...UGH! GEORGIA (1995)- which was basically her remaking THE ROSE with the "twist" that "The Rose" can't sing for ****.

• Like 2

JJL also turned down (or backed out of?) the role that won KIM BASINGER L'Oscar for LA CONFIDENTIAL, and she might have been marvelous in it, although I still bow at the Altar of Kim.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roy Cronin said:

Mare Winningham should have been nominated for St. Elmo's Fire.

I've never seen it, so I can't make a call on that. I know she evaporated after she got a supporting nomination for GEORGIA

34 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

Perhaps it inspired this...

Surf_Nazis.jpg

Surf Nazis Must Die was criticized by reviewers as boring and hard to follow, and its acting, dialogue, and camerawork were widely panned. Janet Maslin wrote "Not even the actors' relatives will find this interesting." Roger Ebert stated that he walked out of the film after 30 minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_Nazis_Must_Die

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Perhaps it inspired this...

Surf_Nazis.jpg

Roger Ebert stated that he walked out of the film after 30 minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_Nazis_Must_Die

But...

"The beaches have become battlefields!"

"The waves are a war zone!" 

It sounds exciting.  The poster art however makes it look dumb.  Which it probably was. I wonder why the nazi is wearing a rubber glove? 

3 hours ago, RoyCronin said:

From what I understand Parker did sound like that;  I assume that Jennifer had some source recordings to draw on.

Your description sounds apt, sort of a Locust Valley Lockjaw Drunk Drawl.

I have an album of Parker reading some of her poems. What I don't have is a working turntable right now. Excuse me while I check YouTube....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

It sounds exciting.  The poster art however makes it look dumb.  Which it probably was. I wonder why the nazi is wearing a rubber glove? 

Hey, even the Nazis needed proctologists.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I've also seen a cross-stitch sampler that said "Please no cocaine in the bathroom."  That would probably be okay. Haha. 

This is available on: Etsy for approximately $50.

qnGvATW.jpg?1

I believe that my movie-related preference would be this:

IOlnWJe.jpg?1

I must admit a certain fondness for the feelings behind this one:

kYIIa19.jpg?1

• Like 1
  • Haha 4