Sign in to follow this  
Im4movies2

I'll Never Tire Watching.....but It's Time I Stop Watching....

227 posts in this topic

Name just one film you could watch over forever and never tire and one film you've had it with for good.   Mine are; Singing In The Rain and My Fair Lady.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir-I cry at the end, every single time.

Topper-as gorgeous as Cary and Constance and the car are, the way Roland drives that beautiful car is just too stupid to live.

Tough to pick just one.  My nominees for watching over and over (because I do and TCM shows some of these often):  ANATOMY OF A MURDER, SUNSET BLVD., THE THIN MAN, THE THING (original), BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE, THE ASPHALT JUNGLE, WHITE HEAT.  I guess I would go with THE THIN MAN because it combines humor and murder and William Powell.  I can't think of a film I've had it with offhand, probably some nameless, forgetable lame teenage sex comedy or bad horror film from the 1980s that I saw with my husband.  I do agree about MY FAIR LADY - I saw it once and that was enough.  I remember being excited to see THE BLACK HOLE when it came out (I think we saw it on a Christmas night) and looking forward to it - it had a good cast - it was SF - decent special effects, but it was a major diasappointment.

One I could watch over and over:

1938's The Adventures of Robin Hood

One I could maybe wait ten years to watch again:

1939's Gone With the Wind

I look forward to seeing Brian Desmond Hurst's Scrooge, aka A Christmas Carol (1951) each and every year.  It features the performance of the year by Alastair Sim.

According to my diary I've seen Abbott and Costello meet the Mummy (1955) four times, which is three times too many.  Guess I liked that one when I was a kid.  It's awful.

Name just one film you could watch over forever and never tire and one film you've had it with for good.   Mine are; Singing In The Rain and My Fair Lady.

While there are any number of films that I'll watch over and over, I find that even the ones I love the most need a "rest " now and then. After a while, I'll revist them with the  same pleasure one gets from seeing a old friend after a long absence.

There are so many films that never get old to me:

The Long Long Trailer- My family's go-to camping movie.  We've all seen it so many times that it's getting to the point where we can recite the dialogue.  I like to break out lines from it on occasion like when my husband and I go the wrong way while driving somewhere: "Have you any conception how much room it takes to turn this thing around? We might have to go on for miles and miles!" The line is funny because 1) My husband has probably seen the movie as many times as I have and gets the joke; and 2) We have two vehicles for which we would have to turn around, a Toyota Corolla and a Honda Civic Coupe, neither one is difficult to turn around lol.  My other favorite line is at the beginning when Desi Arnaz says: "It's a fine thing when you come home to your home and your home is gone!" Arnaz got the best lines in this movie. 

Most films with Errol Flynn.  I never tire of watching him.  My most re-watched of his films though are probably: The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Sisters, Gentleman Jim and Uncertain Glory

Gilda.  I just love Rita Hayworth's performance in this film so much.  I never tire of watching her or this film.

Singin' in the Rain.  I love Gene Kelly and this film is probably his best.  The rest of the cast is so charming and funny.  I love 99% of this film.  My favorite part though is the sultry dance between Kelly and Cyd Charisse.  Great film.

Casablanca.  Such a romantic film, I never get tired of it and could watch the famous airport scene over and over.

A Face in the Crowd.  Andy Griffith gives such an amazing performance and I never tire of watching his ascent into megalomania.  He's such an unbearable character, but you can't help but feel bad for Griffith since he was the one who was thrust into the spotlight-- he wasn't seeking it out at first.

Clue.  This film is hilarious and I love Tim Curry so much.  This is probably the best movie based on a board game ever. 

There are so many more, but I don't know if I want to bore everyone.

---

Films that I've seen and don't need to see again (but who knows? Knowing me, I'll probably watch them again someday):

Black Swan.  It was a great film, but it was so creepy and unsettling, it doesn't have the rewatchability.

The Exorcist.  Ugh.  Super creepy and gross.

Rosemary's Baby.  It was okay.  I've seen it.  Don't need to watch again.  Though I could watch the old woman over enthusiastically deliver her line "Hail Satan!" over and over.  She was the highlight of the film in my opinion.

The Lost Weekend.  A great movie, but so depressing.

-Many of the horror movies would fit into this category.  Horror is my least favorite genre, unless its the cheesy slasher horror movies from the 70s & 80s (like Halloween, the first Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street). 

I think I mentioned that when my area first got cable, I would watch( due to cable premiums playing it over and over) THE GODFATHER over and over, too.  STILL could do it!

Another is ON THE WATERFRONT.

Or, more recent,  THAT THING YOU DO. 

And, SOLDIER IN THE RAIN!

picking just a couple out of those is hard.

Plus, I agree with Bogie about the Alistair Sim version of SCROOGE( A Christmas Carol).  I have a DVD, and take it in al least four or five times each holiday season!

Sepiatone

Speedracer:

you and I are so totally simpatico when it comes to CLUE. I love that movie and there is no finite number of times I can watch it. it is quite possibly one of the most watchable movies ever made.

And I'm all for its making a TCM debut sometime.

"But: your souls are in danger!"

"OUR LIVES ARE IN DANGER, YA BEATNIK!"

(slams front door shut.)

Speedracer:

you and I are so totally simpatico when it comes to CLUE. I love that movie and there is no finite number of times I can watch it. it is quite possibly one of the most watchable movies ever made.

And I'm all for its making a TCM debut sometime.

"But: your souls are in danger!"

"OUR LIVES ARE IN DANGER, YA BEATNIK!"

(slams front door shut.)

Lol.  I'm glad to see more love for Clue.  Madeline Kahn's Mrs. White was hilarious.  Such a fun film--especially when you watch all three alternate endings in a row.  I think Mr. Green's ending is my favorite.

Yes. Yes I did it. I killed Yvette. I hated her so much... it-it-the-f-it-flam-flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breathl-heaving breaths. Heaving breaths... Heathing.

I also love when Jane Weidlin (of The Go-Gos) shows up and no sooner than she announces that she's a singing telegram, the unseen assailant shoots her.  Thank you unseen assailant.

Now I'm going to have to watch Clue tonight.  Lol.

• Like 1

I'll never tire of watching...

The Lion in Winter--Awesome performances, fantastic characters, funny, intelligent dialogue. Hepbrun and O'Toole have excellent chemistry and it's so twisted and convoluted. You don;t know when the characters are play-acting to gain points or when they are being genuine. It's fascinating try to guess (I also recommend the remake with Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart)

Witness for the Prosecution--Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester trading barbs and chewing scenery. And...Dietrich got robbed. That is all.

All About Eve: More or less a perfect movie. I can;t think of anything that I can complain about--funny, great performances and dialogue, Bette freaking Davis being the best d*mn Bette she can be...what's not to like?

Singin' in the Rain: This one just makes me happy.

...but it's time I stop watching...

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Nostalgia for what once was plus showings practically once a month on TBS (TNT? One of those channels) is not justification enough for this travesty. Nor is the fact that I do not posess telekinetic powers and the remote is across the room. 

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding; My daughter is a TERRIBLE influence on my TV veiwing, but that is no excuse. The reason they keep making terrible trahy shows about terrible trashy people is...wait for it...becasue idiots like me keep watching. AAARRRGH.

Add another fan of and who never tires of catching SINGIN' IN THE RAIN whenever it's on.

And not that I didn't "like" the following or thought it badly made, but once was enough for me of watching the Holocaust themed KAPO.

(...I don't need to be reminded more than once about how inhumane man can be toward his fellow man)

I'll never tire of watching...

The Lion in Winter--Awesome performances, fantastic characters, funny, intelligent dialogue. Hepbrun and O'Toole have excellent chemistry and it's so twisted and convoluted. You don;t know when the characters are play-acting to gain points or when they are being genuine. It's fascinating try to guess (I also recommend the remake with Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart)

Witness for the Prosecution--Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester trading barbs and chewing scenery. And...Dietrich got robbed. That is all.

All About Eve: More or less a perfect movie. I can;t think of anything that I can complain about--funny, great performances and dialogue, Bette freaking Davis being the best d*mn Bette she can be...what's not to like?

Singin' in the Rain: This one just makes me happy.

...but it's time I stop watching...

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Nostalgia for what once was plus showings practically once a month on TBS (TNT? One of those channels) is not justification enough for this travesty. Nor is the fact that I do not posess telekinetic powers and the remote is across the room. 

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding; My daughter is a TERRIBLE influence on my TV veiwing, but that is no excuse. The reason they keep making terrible trahy shows about terrible trashy people is...wait for it...becasue idiots like me keep watching. AAARRRGH.

How could I forget about All About Eve?  I love that film.  It never gets old for me--it's pretty much the perfect film.  I only wish that Thelma Ritter had come back after leaving to go get the guests' coats.  I can only guess that Anne Baxter pretty much replaced her and perhaps Ritter bailed? I can't imagine that Bette Davis would have let her go.  It would make sense that Ritter would leave, or that Baxter would make sure she was gone--after all, she was the only character who was suspicious of Baxter from the get-go. 

Lol.  I know what you mean about bad TV.  For the most part, I've been trying to watch quality things like the offerings on TCM or, because I'm like 80, watching Antiques Roadshow on PBS.  Lol.  I'll admit though, that I probably watch more cartoons than one needs to, but what can I say, I love cartoons.  I used to watch the occasional Toddlers and Tiaras on TLC because that show is such a trainwreck and so creepy I kept watching, but I think I've curbed that habit for now.  I do love watching Forensic Files though.  That show never gets old... unless they start showing the same cases over and over. 

Speedracer5,

about a year ago, the online site BuzzFeed published a very in-depth profile on the movie CLUE that included interviews with several of the surviving stars. It is loaded with behind-the-scenes facts and they even talk to the director and discuss some deleted scenes, including a controversial fourth ending where Wadsworth was the killer.

It can be accessed via the reference of section of the film's Wikipedia entry or you can just go to bing.com and type in: "something terrible has happened here: how the movie CLUE went from a forgotten flop to a cult favorite."

Its a great read.

• Like 1

You are so right about Marlene Dietrich in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION. She was robbed.

She was also brilliant in TOUCH OF EVIL . . . and in BLONDE VENUS . . . and in DER BLAUE ENGEL.  

I guess we can just say that Dietrich was brilliant period.

• Like 1

You are so right about Marlene Dietrich in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION. She was robbed.

WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION is a highly watchable film. I myself have probably sat through it around a dozen times, even though each time I watch it there are certain faults that make themselves apparent: in retrospect the ending is a little obvious, Tyrone Power is way too glib, and some of the banter between Laughton and Lanchester is a trifle pat....and yet, the souffle rises.

I think Deitrich did not get an Oscar nomination because her role totters on the brink of being supporting. She has three huge scenes but is- to some degree- in the background for the rest of the movie, and this is back when major, established stars would sooner have eaten dirt then take a supporting nomination (my how times have changed.)

the five women nominated for Best Actress in 1957 were all major presences in their films and were onscreen for at least 90% of the duration (with the possible exception of Lana Turner in PEYTON PLACE.)

I think Deitrich did not get an Oscar nomination because her role totters on the brink of being supporting. She has three huge scenes but is- to some degree- in the background for the rest of the movie, and this is back when major, established stars would sooner have eaten dirt then take a supporting nomination (my how times have changed.)

the five women nominated for Best Actress in 1957 were all major presences in their films and were onscreen for at least 90% of the duration (with the possible exception of Lana Turner in PEYTON PLACE.)

I was thinking of Marlene Dietrich as being in the Best Supporing Actress category for her role in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION. I didn't realize that it would be taken as an insult for her to be in that category then.

Times have indeed changed.  

• Like 1

I was thinking of Marlene Dietrich as being in the Best Supporing Actress category..... He didn't realize that it would be taken as an insult for her to be in that category then.

Times have indeed changed.

By "he" do you mean you?

anyway, just two years before this, Rosalind Russell told the studio releasing PICNIC to in no way, shape, or form include her name as a candidate for Best Supporting Actress. She even talked to the press about it, claiming she had been a lead for years and years it was not about to turn " supporting" just to win an Oscar.

it's funny because, while I don't really care for PICNIC, she is terrific in it and probably would have won had she been nominated. the ultimate winner that year was Jo Van Fleet for her tiny sliver of a role in EAST OF EDEN, Rosalind Russell would get one more Best Actress nomination, but never win. Van Fleet didn't go on to much of a film career.

and for what it's worth I think WITNESS was Dietrich's last major role as well (although she did have small parts in other films, most notably "Touch of Evil" in which- yes -she is excellent and quite frankly again turns in an Oscar worthy performance.) the ultimate winner of Best Supporting Actress in 1957 was Myoshi UNIKI (SP?) in SAYONARA, who went on to evaporate almist immediately after winning: (all they found was the statuette and a kimono in a stall at the Coconut Grove.)

so in the end it kind of seems like a lose/ lose situation for everyone involved.

I think the recent trend of giant mega stars populating the supporting categories at the Oscars is completely out of control, but there have been instances in the past where big stars had small roles and quite frankly just gave the best performance of the year in them.

• Like 2

By "he" do you mean you?

What is the term for refering to oneself in the third person?

Shirley Knight's character in THE RAIN PEOPLE does that often.

I've corrected my post.

The Great Escape is a complete guilty pleasure for me.  I had seen it about 8 times by the time I was 12 years old and have seen it many many more times since.

But I should probably give up on The Blob, another McQueen film that I have seen much too often and with each viewing it only confirms how bad it really is.

The Great Escape is a complete guilty pleasure for me.  I had seen it about 8 times by the time I was 12 years old and have seen it many many more times since.

But I should probably give up on The Blob, another McQueen film that I have seen much too often and with each viewing it only confirms how bad it really is.

Lol.  When I saw The Blob was disappointed that Helen Crump (Andy's main squeeze on The Andy Griffith Show and a total shrew if you ask me) didn't get consumed by The Blob.

Lol.  When I saw The Blob was disappointed that Helen Crump (Andy's main squeeze on The Andy Griffith Show and a total shrew if you ask me) didn't get consumed by The Blob.

NOOOO!

Her sexy little overbite and bee-stung lips always turned me on!

(...and so, NAY I say to THAT thought, Speedy!!!)

;)

NOOOO!

Yeah. She was cute.

NOOOO!

(...and so, NAY I say to THAT thought, Speedy!!!)

;)

Hair in a bun.  Gets her work done.