Bogie56

Great One-Liners

1,132 posts in this topic

I thought maybe a thread devoted to people's favourite, or even favorite one-liners in films might be fun.

Sometimes a real zinger can cut right to the chase and tell you a lot about the film and its characters.

So perhaps we can give the quote followed by the actor or character and a little context.  Who the line is spoken to, or what the context is.

"God was wrong"  

- James Mason, suffering from psychotic delusions as the result of cortisone is about to kill his own son.  He responds to his wife who had tried to reason that God spared Abraham's son.  In Nicolas Ray's Bigger Than Life (1956).  

• Like 2

"It's easy to be a holy man on top of a mountain."

Bill Murray as Larry Darrell in the 1984 version of The Razor's Edge.

Howard Cosell in The World's Greatest Athlete (1973):

"I've never seen anything like this in my entire illustrious career"

Lt. Frank Drebin from the Naked Gun:

"It's true what they say: Cops and women don't mix. It's like eating a spoonful of Drano; sure, it'll clean you out, but it'll leave you hollow inside."

Tatum O'Neal as Addie in PAPER MOON replying to Ryan's MOZE when he asks if she knows what SCRUPLES are-----

"I might not know what they are, but if YOU got 'em, it's a sure bet they belong to somebody ELSE!"

Always loved that line!

Sepiatone

• Like 2

"Toads are nice."

Tabitha Stephens on the Season 5 episode of BEWITCHED entitled "I Don't Want To Be A Toad, I Want To Be A Butterfly"

Okay, okay, this is not really one-liner, but I love this quote from one of my favorite episodes of BEWITCHED. 

eGx6dnBlMTI=_o_bewitched---i-dont-want-t

"...Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man."
from The Big Lebowski (1998).

• Like 2

"What do they think I am? Dumb or something? Why, I make more money than - than, than Calvin Coolidge! Put together!"
from Jean Hagen in Singin' in the Rain

• Like 4

Bill Dolworth: "What's the proposition?"

Rico: "You won't lose your pants. Your life maybe but, what's that?"

Dolworth: "Hardly nothing at all."

from The Professionals 1966.

Bar Girl: You want to dance?

Senator Raymond Clark: No, thank you, honey. I just had a hernia operation.

from Seven Days in May 1964

Mister (Ben Johnson): "God, what ain't I tried. Pony express rider, Overland Stage driver, lawman, gambler, river-man, rancher, rodeo hand, barman, spittoon man... old man. Never much to remember. Of course, there ain't much to forget, either. Nobody's got much use for an old man. I can't blame 'em much. That's why I'm going to win this here newspaper race. When I cross the finish line, I get to be a big man. Top man. A man to remember.

from "Bite the Bullet" 1975.

Myrna Loy in "The Thin Man"...

annex-loy-myrna-thin-man-the_01.jpg

"Oh, you wouldn't know them, Darling. They're respectable."

• Like 5

Mayor Ollie Perkins (Harry Morgan): "Our last sheriff was a good organizer. Yellow clear through, but a good organizer."

from Support Your Local Sheriff! 1969

I thought maybe a thread devoted to people's favourite, or even favorite one-liners in films might be fun.

Sometimes a real zinger can cut right to the chase and tell you a lot about the film and its characters.

So perhaps we can give the quote followed by the actor or character and a little context.  Who the line is spoken to, or what the context is.

"God was wrong"  

- James Mason, suffering from psychotic delusions as the result of cortisone is about to kill his own son.  He responds to his wife who had tried to reason that God spared Abraham's son.  In Nicolas Ray's Bigger Than Life (1956).  

There use to be a One Liner thread before the website update, think its gone or far back in thread history.  This is why we need the Search function fixed.

"Fire Down Below" (1997) Jack Taggert (Steven Seagal).to Orin Hanner Jr.... If your daddy knew how stupid your were, he trade you in for a pet monkey.

"Somebody oughta to belt you in the mouth.  But I won't, I won't, the hell I won't!"

John Wayne in 1963's McLintock!

• Like 1

Ginger Rogers in 42ND STREET, "It must've been tough on your.mother.not having any children". Yeah I know, it's in a frequently played.clip.on TCM.

There use to be a One Liner thread before the website update, think its gone or far back in thread history.  This is why we need the Search function fixed.

Yes, I couldn't find it.  Oh, well.  At least this thread is not being trotted out as much as NBNW

"Do not speak to me of rules!"

- Sessue Hayakawa as Colonel Sato to Alec Guinness in The Bridge on the River Kwai (after he has slapped him across the face with the code book)

• Like 1

"Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed.  But i do say .. no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops.  Uh ... depending on the breaks."

- George C. Scott as General Buck Turgidson in Dr. Strangleove; or How I Learned to stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

• Like 1

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

Frank Morgan as Professor Marvel/The Wizard of Oz

• Like 1

"So let it be written, so let it be done"

- Yul Bryner as Rameses in The Ten Commandments (1956)

• Like 1