Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

can't believe it .... 3 Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward movies

64 posts in this topic

By the way, this is the REAL "Big Daddy". This is Leander Perez, political boss of Plaquemine Parish, Louisiana. He was famous all the way back in the 1940s and on through the 1960s. Tennessee Williams knew all about him.

I met him and talked to him several times while doing news work. Perez was an amazing man, who had the self-assurance and personality of a King, who could have you killed and fed to alligators if you ever crossed him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leander_Perez

leander-perez.jpg

LOL. Looks like he could be related to George Wallace..........

You know something Hibi?

TCM needs to get all of us together on one set, pay us remarkably well, and get us to discuss these two films. Show one film on one night and the other film the next night, since, obviously, we are the world's best experts on these two films and the main actors. :)

You know something Hibi?

TCM needs to get all of us together on one set, pay us remarkably well, and get us to discuss these two films. Show one film on one night and the other film the next night, since, obviously, we are the world's best experts on these two films and the main actors. :)

As long as we get paid. LOL.

"From the Terrace" is on Watch TCM until June 9th.

I just tried it and since I am in Canada they do not have my service provider listed boooooo

I just tried it and since I am in Canada they do not have my service provider listed boooooo

That's a bummer. I am starting to feel sorry for our Canadian viewers-- they seem to be disadvantaged on a lot of these issues.

This might better fit in the "Arcane phrases" thread, but since I've only heard it in a movie, it really sort of fits HERE.

In "Rally 'Round The Flag, Boys". both the soldier's and the Putnam Landing boys used a term to make referrence to the GIRLS of the town.

That word, as best as I can guess the spelling of, is "Boojum"!

The town boys made referrence to "our boojum", while in another segment, the soldier's made referral to "boojum" in general, and when on the outskirts of town, looked over at the teen-aged girls watching the protest and looking over the soldiers, and one of the soldier's said, "Look at all that NICE BOOJUM!"

Now, to ME, "Boojum" sounds like just another crude term  or another way of referring to that which guys usually use a word that traditionally precedes the word "cat", but has more to do with something more v a g i n a l  than feline!  AND I'm left owondering how it got past any censors, and/or what the writers TOLD them in order to get it passed, or what they CLAIMED the word was supposed to possibly mean?

Sepiatone

From Urbandictionary.com   Under "boojum", 4th definition down;  a late 1950's slang term relating to females

Google "boojum"--Urbandictionary should be the first result.

From Urbandictionary.com   Under "boojum", 4th definition down;  a late 1950's slang term relating to females

Google "boojum"--Urbandictionary should be the first result.

Funny. But Thanks, but I have to say...

"boojum" as a referrence to females.  In strictest terms, words like "s n a t c h",   and "p o o n t a n g" ALSO refer to females, only not so innocently.  "boojum" sounds just as crass and crude as the others.  Of course, I'll have to look into it to see what the FIRST THREE definitions are!  :P

Another consideration.

When did "urbandictionary" claim it's definition was determined, and these days, whenever anything is preceded with the word "urban", it usually means "African American", which may NOT really be the case here, since none of the people using it in the move WERE African American, and I doubt screenwriters back in the late '50's would rely on African American slang to be used by anyone white.

Sepiatone

"boojum" as a referrence to females.  In strictest terms, words like "s n a t c h",   and "p o o n t a n g" ALSO refer to females, only not so innocently.  "boojum" sounds just as crass and crude as the others.  Of course, I'll have to look into it to see what the FIRST THREE definitions are!  :P

Another consideration.

When did "urbandictionary" claim it's definition was determined, and these days, whenever anything is preceded with the word "urban", it usually means "African American", which may NOT really be the case here, since none of the people using it in the move WERE African American, and I doubt screenwriters back in the late '50's would rely on African American slang to be used by anyone white.

Sepiatone

Urban stopped being only about African Americans when the Jefferson's moved on up!    ;)

Watched Rally Round the Flag Boys last night.  Not really impressesd.  Newman and Woodward just didn't seem to have their comedic ablities down correctly for it.  Almost seemed like they were doing a parody of a movie.  Maybe it was the script or the director.  Joan Collins actually seemed to be better, except for the dance scenes.  

Watched Rally Round the Flag Boys last night.  Not really impressesd.  Newman and Woodward just didn't seem to have their comedic ablities down correctly for it.  Almost seemed like they were doing a parody of a movie.  Maybe it was the script or the director.  Joan Collins actually seemed to be better, except for the dance scenes.  

Yea, I felt the same way as you.    Both have comedic abilities (somewhat limited),  but those abilities were not used well by the director of this film.  

• Like 1

"boojum" as a referrence to females. In strictest terms, words like "s n a t c h", and "p o o n t a n g" ALSO refer to females, only not so innocently. "boojum" sounds just as crass and crude as the others. Of course, I'll have to look into it to see what the FIRST THREE definitions are! :P

Another consideration.

Sepiatone

Unless the white writers, aware of this term used among blacks,.decided to use it to get it past the white censors.who, the writers rightly surmised, did not know the term.

Offhand, to me it sounds like it could've been derived from b o s o m.

There is a tall spindly, spiny tree-sized plant, found only in the central desert in Baja California, and one small patch across the Sea of Cortes around Puerto Libertad, Sonora (don't ask me how I know this), known in English as the Boojum Tree. In Spanish, it is called cirio, which means candle, which can roughly describe its appearance. It has also been described as looking like an upside down carrot.

Anyway, I remember reading that early Yankees to the area knicknamed it Boojum Tree because it reminded.them of one such named in the writings of Lewis Carrol, I believe.

Sorry, Arturo, but a Lewis Carroll correction will come down the page a bit:

I decided to look this up, and here is what I found:

There's a BOOJUM Burrito bar in Dublin, Ireland.

A "Boojum" is a geometric pattern on the surface of one of the phases of superfluid helium-3.

Boojum-Referral to a fictional animal species created by Lewis Carroll referred to in his nonsense poem "The Hunting Of The Snark."  Not a tree.

Once a slang term depicting both either a boyfriend OR girlfriend, which possibly, was more recently shortened to the "urban"( sorry, James, as since mostly music that's created by, and largely listened to by African Americans is played on radio stations whose formats, according to arbitron are designated as "urban".)

Anyway, young "urban" kids largely use the term "boo" to refer to their significant other.  This COULD be short for BOOJUM

Nothing about trees or '50's slang for females.  I'm beginning to think that the writers may have been familiar with this term in the more crude referrence( "boojum" being the equivalent of "p o o n t a n g", or pu * * y,) from when THEY were servicemen, and maybe figured the term was SO obscure as to be easy to fly past the censors.  Of course, it's only a guess.

Sepiatone