Sign in to follow this  
kaslovesTCM

can't believe it .... 3 Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward movies

64 posts in this topic

Long Hot Summer

I don't think that has ever been on TCM has it?  saw this as a kid on tv and that was my first Paul Newman movie

Rally Round the Flag Boys

have seen this on TCM before it is a cute movie

From the Terrace

this is another one I don't think has ever been on TCM before

have taped all 3

Thank you TCM

I love Joanne Woodward & Paul Newman in that order. Please let us know your opinions of these after you've watched them, I'd like to know what you think.

Have seen The Long Hot Summer at least five times--is a wonderful drama with some comedy that is given an extra fillip by watching Newman and Woodward fall in love on screen.  A film that was overshadowed by Cat on a Hot Tin Roof--TLHS is a must see!

Have not seen Rally Round the Flag Boys or From the Terrace--will post after seeing them.

Have three on DVD.  The Long Hot Summer (based on William Faulkner stories) is the best and the one we re-watch the most often.  Perhaps because it has a better story and more humor than Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  From the Terrace (John O'Hara) is good, but also very serious.  Similar to a lot of movies made at the time.  Rally Round the Flag Boys is a comedy and not bad, but haven't seen it in a while.

I grew up in South Carolina and we "vacationed" in northeast Louisiana so the settings for TLHS were familiar to me, even though actually filmed around New Orleans.

The Long Hot Summer is the only good one out of the 3. (The Newmans didnt have much luck in their co-starring vehicles). Rachel, Rachel is on later with Newman directing Woodward. I'm looking forward to the evening (as much as I can watch) A nice change!

Three? There are five, including early morning telecasts of "Rachel, Rachel" (1968) -- which Newman directed, earning four Academy Award nominations -- and "The Drowning Pool" Newman's 1975 followup to the 1966 detective drama "Harper." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gz2ch1YOok

Three? There are five, including early morning telecasts of "Rachel, Rachel" (1968) -- which Newman directed, earning four Academy Award nominations.

And there's "The Drowning Pool" (1975), Newman's follow up to the 1966 detective drama "Harper." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gz2ch1YOok

I like the Drowning Pool. I like it better than the first foray, Harper. Too bad Woodward has such a small part in it.........

By the way, here's Sally Field's tribute to Newman and Woodward at the 1992 Kennedy Center Honors. The Essentials co-host worked with Woodward in the 1976 made-for-TV drama "Sybil" and with Newman in "Absence of Malice" (1981).

my pvr let me down and it didn't tape From the Terrace

I hope they show it again

damn that makes me mad

"From the Terrace" is on Watch TCM until June 9th.

Rally Round the Flag Boys (1958) wasn't bad--not near as bad as 1958 reviews led me to expect.  Paul Newman and Joan Collins (as an ignored suburban housewife looking for diversion) are quite good--Joanne Wooodward isn't bad-- but the script lets everyone down, and RRTFB ends up as a minor amusement/credit for the stars.  Thank you TCM, for searching this out.

Rally Round the Flag Boys (1958) wasn't bad--not near as bad as 1958 reviews led me to expect.  Paul Newman and Joan Collins (as an ignored suburban housewife looking for diversion) are quite good--Joanne Wooodward isn't bad-- but the script lets everyone down, and RRTFB ends up as a minor amusement/credit for the stars.  Thank you TCM, for searching this out.

I remember, I think it was during early adolescence( and I don't recall MUCH from then! ) a network weekly movie presentation program, NBC's "Saturday Night At he Movies", possibly, made a big deal out of this one.  They even showed a promotional film for it that had BOB HOPE in it!  Of all people! ( At one point in the "promotion", a black cat walks in front of Hope, and he quickly stops, THEN points to it and asks, "Is that the SAME cat....?"  And the guy with him bursts out laughing.)

I never saw it until I was somewhere in my mid 30's, and concurred with your assessment.

I believe FROM THE TERRACE was a premiere on TCM. 

PARIS BLUES was also scheduled but removed at the last minute. Maybe it will return on Dr. Sidney Luther King Day in January.

The Long Hot Summer was just as good as I remembered--Woodward was the better of the two in TLHS,I think.

I think THE LONG HOT SUMMER is a very poor "adaptation" of several different Faulkner stories. The acting is bad, Varner trying to marry his daughter to a jobless bum and drifter is silly. The fake Mississippi accents were awful. This seemed to be a look-alike imitation of CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF, like in the beginning when Boss Varner returns from Memphis in an ambulance after serious medical surgery. I expected the little no-neck kids to start running and screaming around the big house.

I think THE LONG HOT SUMMER is a very poor "adaptation" of several different Faulkner stories. The acting is bad, Varner trying to marry his daughter to a jobless bum and drifter is silly. The fake Mississippi accents were awful. This seemed to be a look-alike imitation of CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.

I agree Fred-- even the main mansion set looked copied from CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF. I kept expecting them to pull a mask off Orson Welles and for Burl Ives to be underneath.

I love "The Long Hot Summer" because it reminds me of the 1960s TV series of the same title. Several episodes are on YouTube.

It starred Edmond O'Brien as Will Varner, Nancy Malone as his daughter Clara and Paul Newman lookalike Roy Thinnes (before "The Invaders") as Ben Quick. Paul Geary co-starred as Jody Varner, while Lana Wood (Natalie's younger sister) appeared as  Eula Johnson. Ruth Roman played Minnie Littlejohn. The show's theme song was the one by Jimmie Rodgers that was used in the movie.

O'Brien left the series after a dispute with the producers and was replaced at midseason by Dan O'Herlihy.

I think THE LONG HOT SUMMER is a very poor "adaptation" of several different Faulkner stories. The acting is bad, Varner trying to marry his daughter to a jobless bum and drifter is silly. The fake Mississippi accents were awful. This seemed to be a look-alike imitation of CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF, like in the beginning when Boss Varner returns from Memphis in an ambulance after serious medical surgery. I expected the little no-neck kids to start running and screaming around the big house.

Considering.that THE LONG HOT SUMMER was filmed and released before CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF,.the former.could not be considered an imitation of the latter, unless you want to say that Faulkner was imitating Williams. In the 50s, florid southern gothic stories were popular, and two of the main sources.were the aforementioned writers. Most likely, since TLHS was a TCM premiere, and COAHTR is shown frequently, the relative familiarity with each probably colors how these.are perceived by TCM viewers.

• Like 2

Most likely, since TLHS was a TCM premiere, and COAHTR is shown frequently, the relative familiarity with each probably colors how these.are perceived by TCM viewers.

THE LONG HOT SUMMER was not a TCM premiere. It was featured a few years ago as an Essential with Alec Baldwin.

While I agree this comedy is ok, and the cast.is as well generally, I think the main weakness are Newman and Woodward's not very adept abilities as farceurs. Joan Collins was quite good, and better, I think, than the original choice for that role would have been, Jayne Mansfield.

I love "The Long Hot Summer" because it reminds me of the 1960s TV series of the same title. Several episodes are on YouTube.

It starred Edmond O'Brien as Will Varner, Nancy Malone as his daughter Clara and Paul Newman lookalike Roy Thinnes (before "The Invaders") as Ben Quick. Paul Geary co-starred as Jody Varner, while Lana Wood (Natalie's younger sister) appeared as  Eula Johnson. Ruth Roman played Minnie Littlejohn. The show's theme song was the one by Jimmie Rodgers that was used in the movie.

O'Brien left the series after a dispute with the producers and was replaced at midseason by Dan O'Herlihy.

The Long Hot Summer was my first exposure to Paul Newman. I saw it first on tv on one of the network showings as a child. I do remember the short lived series, it managed to last a season, but there were many cast changes during its short time on the air.......

Considering.that THE LONG HOT SUMMER was filmed and released before CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF,.the former.could not be considered an imitation of the latter, unless you want to say that Faulkner was imitating Williams. In the 50s, florid southern gothic stories were popular, and two of the main sources.were the aforementioned writers. Most likely, since TLHS was a TCM premiere, and COAHTR is shown frequently, the relative familiarity with each probably colors how these.are perceived by TCM viewers.

Both films were released in 1958 by two competing companies. Jerry Wald Productions/Fox, and MGM. It is obvious that in trying to beat MGM to the big screen, Jerry Wald rushed his film into production using a patch-work of different Falkner stories, while MGM used a major high quality Tennessee Williams play and made a well-produced film out of it.

In popularity, the poorly made Long Hot Summer lost out to the higher quality of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, which was nominated for 6 Academy Awards.

• Like 1

Both films were released in 1958 by two competing companies. Jerry Wald Productions/Fox, and MGM. It is obvious that in trying to beat MGM to the big screen, Jerry Wald rushed his film into production using a patch-work of different Falkner stories, while MGM used a major high quality Tennessee Williams play and made a well-produced film out of it.

In popularity, the poorly made Long Hot Summer lost out to the higher quality of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, which was nominated for 6 Academy Awards.

I agree Cat is the better film and Summer does feel like a rip off in some respects. Welles is so overbearing and hard to understand at times. And his being so quickly forgiving of his son for trying to kill him rings false. The film's storyline does feel awkward and cobbled together. But the chemistry between Newman and Woodward is definitely there............

But the chemistry between Newman and Woodward is definitely there............

Yes and I would like to have seen many more minutes of that rather than all that other stuff and Varner mumblng on and on and on.

Great post. I agree with everything you wrote.

LONG HOT SUMMER does come off as a rushed copy. 

It doesn't matter how many times TCM shows one film as opposed to the other. Clearly, CAT is the better production.