eduardowolbert

Posting for Noir Topics - where to post

64 posts in this topic

Hey All,

It's already getting really cluttered and disorganized with all the posting.  When we do the weekly posting (this week it was for Fritz Lang's 'M') can we please reply to the initial thread instead of starting a new one on our own.  If we keep opening our own messages, it will become extremely disorganized by the end of week one and will discourage people from viewing anyone else's comments.  Please post in one thread.

Thanks!

• Like 9

Was there an initial post? So far the only official post from TCM or any officials has been the 'Investigating Film Noir' post welcoming people to the course. Every post so far has been from 'guests' and students.

• Like 2

Right, the initial post was begun by a guest or student. All I meant was for us to reply in one post.  If there is already a thread, just reply in that one.  Starting another one will just make it harder for people to navigate the other replies. I really like reading other replies and would hate to have to constantly go back into new subject threads. Plus, the weeks that follow will be even harder to find.

• Like 1

Right, the initial post was begun by a guest or student. All I meant was for us to reply in one post.  If there is already a thread, just reply in that one.  Starting another one will just make it harder for people to navigate the other replies. I really like reading other replies and would hate to have to constantly go back into new subject threads. Plus, the weeks that follow will be even harder to find.

That would make sense, too. As it is, I'm not minding the clutter too much. The setup makes it easy to see which threads have new replies and goes immediately to the ones made since you last looked. So at least you don't have to keep rechecking old threads.

Right, I don't usually mind clutter myself but look at how many threads we already have now, just from today alone.  This will be exacerbated exponentially in the upcoming weeks.  This is compounded further by the fact that no one is titling their posts with "Response for Week #1: M" or anything uniform, so it's hard to even determine which posts would be about what.  I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do.  It's just a thoughtful suggestion to keep things organized for the easier understanding of all interested parties.

• Like 1

Right, I don't usually mind clutter myself but look at how many threads we already have now, just from today alone.  This will be exacerbated exponentially in the upcoming weeks.  This is compounded further by the fact that no one is titling their posts with "Response for Week #1: M" or anything uniform, so it's hard to even determine which posts would be about what.  I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do.  It's just a thoughtful suggestion to keep things organized for the easier understanding of all interested parties.

Hah! I'm such an idiot, I just noticed the 'guest' who posted the first topic was Richard Edwards, the person teaching this course. So my entire argument is invalid.

I haven't posted anything yet. Is a bit confusing choosing where to post for daily discussion. Think I'll just post in most replied thread at top...after first viewing the clip. :)

• Like 1

One of the problems, I believe, is that no one is absolutely certain of what they are doing.  Hopefully, once there are course questions and points demonstrated in each week's films to be discussed and argued, a more organize method of communication will emerge. 

• Like 1

Meamwhile, I have scrupulously eschewed the Twitter, and suddenly find myself in possesion of same. although it is the furtherest thing from my wishes, only to further participate in this course.  Of course, all will be to no purpose, if I don't figure out how to address people in the same course, instead of errant strangers who wonder what the heck I'm going on about.

Can't you just pin a thread,and delete or lock the old ones? I use a forum like this for my NFL team,and that's what the mods do there. You guys are like "Who are all these people?!!!" Looool

• Like 1

All interested parties,

I've talked to a TCM administrator and I've been told that this post will indeed be pinned and its suggestions for posting guidelines adopted.  For those just seeing this thread and not wanting to go to the beginning: 

When we do the clip posting (whether for Fritz Lang's 'M,' 'la Bete Humaine' et al.) can we please reply to the initial thread instead of starting a new one on our own.  You can identify it by the high number of replies. If each user continues to begin their own thread, it will become extremely disorganized by the end of week one and will discourage people from viewing anyone else's comments.  Please post in one thread

• Like 8

One thread per day, right? We have a clip four days a week.

Yes,there should be a thread for each topic. Otherwise it's a pointless forum to post in.
  • Like 2

OK. This is a good conversation to be having, and I hope the community can help and collaborate to create a framework or establish a set of posting expectations that works effectively and efficiently for the greatest number of students in the TCM Presents Into the Darkness course.

To let you know my viewpoint as the instructor, I believe in letting certain aspects of the course evolve in as organic a manner as possible. That sometimes leads to messy beginnings, but I personally do not like creating frameworks or policies until the need for them arises. I'm sure others have a different view of this, but that was one of my reasons that this course doesn't have its first lecture till Week 2. Week 1 is the time when I like to work out the processes, fix the bugs, get everyone settled in, so that the remaining 8 weeks are focused on the reason for this course: a great and vibrant space for film noir discussion.

That said, I think the need has arisen for a solution to the message board issues raised on this thread. However, I want to make two points. First, message boards like this have limitations due to their threaded and chronological nature and it is sometimes hard when a thread reaches 200 post to feel that your new observation will make sense as Post #201; and 2) any decisions regarding a posting policy for the TCM Message Boards needs to balance two different and competing impulses:

Impulse #1: The desire to keep the threads organized so that it is easier to follow when we have hundreds of posts on the same subject

Impulse #2: The desire to give the community a certain amount of freedom to post on subjects they are passionate and/or knowledgeable about

In a massive course like ours--that has thousands of active daily participants--it is frequently difficult to balance those two competing impulses. For each person who wants more organization, there is likely another person who wants to have the freedom to start their own threads. 

Moreover, different students have different views of the benefits of a message board. Reading through hundreds of posts, I see different desires and purposes among our community of active posters. Some want to just share their views on the films. Others seem more interested in responding to others posts. Yet others feel that their views are different enough that they warrant a new thread. And some of the new topics are truly different from the Daily Dose discussions. I do not see any of these posts as problematic, but it will be hard to find a single framework that works for all those types of postings. 

I do think one place to start is to try to minimize additional topics related to the Daily Dose of Darkness. I see how many of the additional threads that were opened regarding the Daily Dose could be developed and shared under a single topic heading. I think maybe we can post expectations to tell students to stay in the Daily Dose topic if their post involves a comment on the Daily Dose. Moreover, I would love to hear suggestions on how we can better curate and build on the existing posts. There is so much good stuff in those threads, but I'm not sure it is easy to access the knowledge that resides in those posts due to their sheer number. 

Another thought is that we build a system more akin to folders so that it is easier to find posts or to make posts. In that mentality, Summer of Darkness could be broken down into the following "folders" to help organize topics. An initial idea would be like:

--Folder 1: Daily Dose Posts

--Folder 2: Summer of Darkness Film Posts

--Folder 3: General Film Noir Questions

--Folder 4: Everything Else

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Thank in advance for your patience as we work through these issues. 

• Like 9

I think the problem is mostly in the process of fixing itself, as more people read this thread and get the hang of the comments. There are already a lot fewer separate threads for the Daily Dose. More moderation might be the answer, but I would hate to see someone's comments get deleted. And also there have been some good "off topic" threads as well.

I think the idea of folders is pretty good, as it would be an immediate sign of organization, but would hopefully leave room for branching topics. Also, what tripped me up on the first day is that there doesn't seem to be anything denoting which is the "official" thread. Is there any way to pin those, or have them all started by the same user? That last part might be problematic, since we're all in so many different time zones.

OK. This is a good conversation to be having, and I hope the community can help and collaborate to create a framework or establish a set of posting expectations that works effectively and efficiently for the greatest number of students in the TCM Presents Into the Darkness course.

To let you know my viewpoint as the instructor, I believe in letting certain aspects of the course evolve in as organic a manner as possible. That sometimes leads to messy beginnings, but I personally do not like creating frameworks or policies until the need for them arises. I'm sure others have a different view of this, but that was one of my reasons that this course doesn't have its first lecture till Week 2. Week 1 is the time when I like to work out the processes, fix the bugs, get everyone settled in, so that the remaining 8 weeks are focused on the reason for this course: a great and vibrant space for film noir discussion.

That said, I think the need has arisen for a solution to the message board issues raised on this thread. However, I want to make two points. First, message boards like this have limitations due to their threaded and chronological nature and it is sometimes hard when a thread reaches 200 post to feel that your new observation will make sense as Post #201; and 2) any decisions regarding a posting policy for the TCM Message Boards needs to balance two different and competing impulses:

Impulse #1: The desire to keep the threads organized so that it is easier to follow when we have hundreds of posts on the same subject

Impulse #2: The desire to give the community a certain amount of freedom to post on subjects they are passionate and/or knowledgeable about

In a massive course like ours--that has thousands of active daily participants--it is frequently difficult to balance those two competing impulses. For each person who wants more organization, there is likely another person who wants to have the freedom to start their own threads. 

Moreover, different students have different views of the benefits of a message board. Reading through hundreds of posts, I see different desires and purposes among our community of active posters. Some want to just share their views on the films. Others seem more interested in responding to others posts. Yet others feel that their views are different enough that they warrant a new thread. And some of the new topics are truly different from the Daily Dose discussions. I do not see any of these posts as problematic, but it will be hard to find a single framework that works for all those types of postings. 

I do think one place to start is to try to minimize additional topics related to the Daily Dose of Darkness. I see how many of the additional threads that were opened regarding the Daily Dose could be developed and shared under a single topic heading. I think maybe we can post expectations to tell students to stay in the Daily Dose topic if their post involves a comment on the Daily Dose. Moreover, I would love to hear suggestions on how we can better curate and build on the existing posts. There is so much good stuff in those threads, but I'm not sure it is easy to access the knowledge that resides in those posts due to their sheer number. 

Another thought is that we build a system more akin to folders so that it is easier to find posts or to make posts. In that mentality, Summer of Darkness could be broken down into the following "folders" to help organize topics. An initial idea would be like:

Thank you.

There is definitely some organization needed.  I don't know about everyone else, but I don't have time to read through all the individual threads and posts.  I've read some, but there are just too many threads about the same topic.  I think having separate threads where only you (as the instructor) start the thread and everyone else uses the "Reply to This Topic" button at the top of the screen or there's a box at the bottom so that the threads stay organized and contained within a relevant thread.  Having this many identical threads is too confusing and cumbersome.

I do agree that the first week is a good week to work out the bugs in a course.  I think everyone will get the hang of what's going on.  Everyone is not only learning about noir, but also having to learn about navigating a message board as well.

The good thing about having the separate threads for the different class topics is that the message board automatically displays the posts from newest to oldest--so by the time the daily doses in July roll around, the June ones will be pages and pages back.

Works for me professor. Really enjoy this course by the way. ????
  • Like 2

BTW:

In case anyone is posting one of their "Daily Doses" or something that you wouldn't want to type again, should the website timeout...

Typically, the message board undergoes maintenance (for just a few minutes) every evening at roughly 10:30pm PST.  You'll know the board is undergoing maintenance, because you'll try to post and either nothing happens or the cursor spins and spins and eventually brings you to a time out screen.  Most of the time though, you'll hit "save" and nothing happens.  You'll know when your post is saving because either the cursor spins or a green box with moving squares will pop up.

Also, if you've been typing for a little bit, you might notice that at the bottom of the reply box it says: "Last auto saved: 11:13:55PM" (for example).  The message board automatically performs little saves as you type, so in case the page times out, you can retrieve whatever you had typed at the last save.  If this happens to you and you lose your page, you can go back into the thread you were posting in and click on the "reply to this topic" button.  When you get to the reply box, click on the "last auto saved: xx:xx:xx" link at the bottom and your text will be restored, depending on where you were at when it last saved, you might need to resurrect the last few things you said.

Just thought this might be helpful to everyone.  There's a lot of good information and ideas being shared and I'd hate to see someone miss out on posting because the page timed out and they got frustrated.

• Like 1

All this talk regarding where to post and how many places to post in is very beneficial, especially moving forward into the coming weeks. It's hard to scroll through several different threads and discussions and read everyone's comments, so I agree with the idea of breaking them into four different threads so that it be best to condense and view what everyone is saying. It's why we're all here anyways, and the comments I have been able to get to have been really good so I'm excited to move forward!

Whew! I look forward to a forum organized into distinct threads. I was overwhelmed with how to even begin to add my comments. Thank you!

Although I respect the concept of letting the community "create itself" to a certain extent, I think it would make sense for a daily thread created by the instructor as the "official" thread to reply to the Daily Dose. That still leaves the ability to create new threads on related or unrelated topics.

For example, my reaction to the "M" clip could be posted in the "official thread", but if I wanted to discuss the use of silhouettes as plot devices, that could be a tangent and a separate thread.

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestions for separating threads. I agree that replying to the Daily Dose initial post is the way to go for that discussion, since that helps me actually find and read as many as possible. Otherwise, the number is overwhelming, especially for those that started the course late, or can't post until later in the day.

Just wanted to mention that the course, in general, is very well organized - even with the issue of various ways for us to have discussions. It didn't take long for me to find my way around and know what is expected each week. So, thanks for that!

Maybe it would be better to have a separate folder for the Daily Doses, and then a separate folder for each movie. If major topics develop, then they could be added as separate folders, as needed.

Right now it's a bit difficult to follow all the threads. I wonder if it's even possible to corral them all when you have so many people who are taking the class and have interesting insights to offer.

That just made me think: Will we be able to continue reading the posts after the class ends? If we can, then we can read at our leisure, knowing that we can get back to the various dicussion topics.

-Marianne

I am basically posting this to see if I am anywhere near the right spot  for noir comment. No desire to touch Twitter with a ten foot tweet. Looks like the lectures will be wonderful. I am a noir fan from way back, but where oh where is my fave of all time Double Indemnity?? Poor Fred, he was lost at the ankle bracelet!! And hello to fellow coures members.

• Like 1