eduardowolbert

Posting for Noir Topics - where to post

64 posts in this topic

Maybe it would be better to have a separate folder for the Daily Doses, and then a separate folder for each movie. If major topics develop, then they could be added as separate folders, as needed.

Right now it's a bit difficult to follow all the threads. I wonder if it's even possible to corral them all when you have so many people who are taking the class and have interesting insights to offer.

That just made me think: Will we be able to continue reading the posts after the class ends? If we can, then we can read at our leisure, knowing that we can get back to the various dicussion topics.

-Marianne

Great point, Marianne. Yes, the reason we are using TCM message boards is that these posts will stay up after the class. If we used Canvas, they would be automatically archived and inaccessible after 8/3/15. I wanted us to leave behind a public trail of our conversations! So yes, down the road, we can probably return and revisit these posts when the initial rush has subsided, or even after the course has ended. Thanks for bringing that up! 

• Like 1

I am wondering why TCM picked Friday to show film noir? I just got TCM a couple of weeks ago and don't have a DVR. Of course, if it was a weekend day I would probably never leave the house!

I'm starting to find the posts very cumbersome. It was frustrating to see another person start another thread entitled Daily Dose #3 Under a Full Moon. I assumed it was a discussion specific to the moon's image in the film. Instead, it's just another general thread.

It would be very helpful if people didn't start a new thread using the exact same title as another. I think if people were more specific in titling their content, and have an analysis of exactly what the post title says, it would be much more helpful.

• Like 5

I'm starting to find the posts very cumbersome. It was frustrating to see another person start another thread entitled Daily Dose #3 Under a Full Moon. I assumed it was a discussion specific to the moon's image in the film. Instead, it's just another general thread.

It would be very helpful if people didn't start a new thread using the exact same title as another. I think if people were more specific in titling their content, and have an analysis of exactly what the post title says, it would be much more helpful.

I agree completely. Yesterday the problem seemed to be getting better, but then today there were even more posts about the same thing. The problem is people begin to think that posting to an already-crowded thread will cause their post to go unnoticed. I wish this forum was a little more like disqus or other comment boards, where replying directly to one persons post opens up another little mini-thread beneath it. It would make it much easier to keep track and engage in ongoing discussion. Right now, if I reply to someone, or they reply to me, there's no notification. It's easy to miss.

• Like 2

I do like the idea of sub folders and perhaps pinning the official "daily darkness" response threads with the option of adding new threads beneath.

• Like 4

Will there be more to the course than posting our responses and viewing the films?  It's beginning to feel a bit isolating, rather than as an inclusive educational experience. 

Will there be more to the course than posting our responses and viewing the films?  It's beginning to feel a bit isolating, rather than as an inclusive educational experience. 

Yeah, this is just the first week to get used to the forums and daily discussions. Next week will have lectures and reading material and quizzes, apparently.

Hi All

Late to class....LOL.  I would be interested in the folder version as I am a more organized thinker and would like to see everyone's thoughts on each posting.  Different opinions and viewpoints are always of interest to me.

I'm working with the message board moderators to adopt some of these suggestions. Please bear with us as we work out the message boards. But overall, I am very pleased with the quality of the posts. Some amazing stuff in these threads.

FYI, with such a large community of 11,000+ learners (and the community is still growing each day), the first week of the course is dedicated to settling in and getting accustomed to TCM message boards, Twitter, and the Canvas site. In my experience, that helps set the whole community up for the fabulous eight weeks to follow. 

Next week, this course begins in earnest as we continue our investigation into film noir. We start on the topic, "What is Film Noir." There will be a new topic each week. Starting on Sunday, June 7, there will be a video lecture on that topic, a companion podcast, four new Daily Doses that help us work on our definition of film noir, and a graded quiz that is the first step towards a Certificate of Completion.

Thanks everyone for your help and your participation in this course!

• Like 3

I'm working with the message board moderators to adopt some of these suggestions. Please bear with us as we work out the message boards. But overall, I am very pleased with the quality of the posts. Some amazing stuff in these threads.

FYI, with such a large community of 11,000+ learners (and the community is still growing each day), the first week of the course is dedicated to settling in and getting accustomed to TCM message boards, Twitter, and the Canvas site. In my experience, that helps set the whole community up for the fabulous eight weeks to follow.

Next week, this course begins in earnest as we continue our investigation into film noir. We start on the topic, "What is Film Noir." There will be a new topic each week. Starting on Sunday, June 7, there will be a video lecture on that topic, a companion podcast, four new Daily Doses that help us work on our definition of film noir, and a graded quiz that is the first step towards a Certificate of Completion.

Thanks everyone for your help and your participation in this course!

Bring on the dirty cheap dames,and gun molls. Can't get enough of that! Looool
  • Like 1

I am wondering why TCM picked Friday to show film noir? I just got TCM a couple of weeks ago and don't have a DVR. Of course, if it was a weekend day I would probably never leave the house!

The Friday noir is part of their Friday Night Spotlight series which they do every month. Except this month and July, they're changing up the format a little bit by doing noir all day. In May, for example, The Friday Night Spotlight series was on Orson Welles in honor of his 100th birthday. Each Friday night in May, TCM showed Welles' films.

Although I respect the concept of letting the community "create itself" to a certain extent, I think it would make sense for a daily thread created by the instructor as the "official" thread to reply to the Daily Dose. That still leaves the ability to create new threads on related or unrelated topics.

For example, my reaction to the "M" clip could be posted in the "official thread", but if I wanted to discuss the use of silhouettes as plot devices, that could be a tangent and a separate thread.

The idea of an official daily thread makes sense. Today, there are two threads already with replies, one called Daily Dose #4 - Dark Passage , which looks like it may be the "official" thread, but only has one reply. And one just called Dark Pasage (sic) that has 17 replies. Confusing! 

• Like 1

What did someone above mean about a Canvas? Shall we also go on twitter or other sites with this class?

First, make sure you are actually enrolled in the class by going here: https://www.canvas.net/browse/bsu/tcm/courses/film-noir

Once you are enrolled, the course itself is being delivered by Canvas.net, a learning management system, that is available for both desktop, mobile, and tablet devices. 

Canvas.net has the instructions for the class, a syllabus, graded quizzes, a Weekly Summer of Darkness Viewing Guide, a Film Noir Quick Start Guid, Announcements (including the Daily Dose clips), learning materials (including lectures starting in Week 2) and a Getting Started Punchlist with an easy to follow list of things you need to get set up this week. 

Beyond the Canvas.net site, this course is actively using Twitter under the hashtag #NoirSummer and the TCM Summer of Darkness Message Board. But if you are only experiencing the course through the message board and Twitter, you are missing the foundational course material. Please enroll. The course, its objectives, and themes are all explained at the Canvas site. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

The idea of an official daily thread makes sense. Today, there are two threads already with replies, one called Daily Dose #4 - Dark Passage , which looks like it may be the "official" thread, but only has one reply. And one just called Dark Pasage (sic) that has 17 replies. Confusing! 

I am working to resolve this by today. Please bear with us as we work through Week 1 issues. I agree it is confusing! But at the same time, please appreciate the scale of this course and the number of students (11,000+). It only takes one or two people out of 11,000 to start their own threads to start some of this duplication, and not everyone is going to read all of the instructions even after we do a better job organizing and pinning threads. That said, I am working behind the scenes to have the Daily Dose conversations be less chaotic.

That said, even though it is confusing, I still find that the level of commentary and insight is still there in the posts themselves, which is the key thing. Thanks everyone for your patience and your thoughts on these matters. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback Noir Investigators and Students of #NoirSummer! This is such a great community. 

After considering all the suggestions and all the great feedback, we have decided to try a simple change first and see if that meets the main needs of the community.

We will start "pinning" at the top of the board the four weekly Daily Doses so they are in place each week. Remember, just like this week, you won't get next week's clip or the curator's note until the day it is released, but we want to anticipate in advance each week's four Daily Doses and have those topic areas pre-loaded each week and pinned so each of you know where to find the "official instructor-began" Daily Dose discussion. That should eliminate the need for students to open up multiple threads on the Daily Dose. 

Second, we will have a single pinned thread for tomorrow's Summer of Darkness TCM viewing lineup. I know in advance that there are 13 films that can be potentially watched and discussed in that thread, but we need to try to see if a single thread will work for the bulk of students. If we keep discussing each film in a separate thread, a certain number of movies will get pushed down the forum and be somewhat "invisible" (i.e. not on the main page) after 3-4 movies. So having a "pinned" thread will keep that topic at the top of the forum. 

Third, everyone is still able to start their own threads. We are not going to change that. But there are 11,000+ students now, and we are hoping that these organizational choices will work for the vast number of that 11,000. We know that these changes or choices will not satisfy everyone. We understand that. This is not meant to be restrictive. We want this forum to remain lively and full of great posts! Rather our goal is to help guide the largest numbers of students easily find the most popular discussions. 

As always, we remain open-minded, and will continue to listen to suggestions. We are constantly evaluating everything we do so that this remains an amazing learning experience. 

Thanks for understanding, and for helping make this such a terrific course! 

Your instructor,

Richard Edwards

• Like 3

I appreciate everything that's being done to streamline and organize the course communications.  I may be the last holdout in still having problems signing into both TCM msg. board and Twitter.  TCM seems to require that I re-register, or at least get a new password, each time.  Is this the case or am I just misunderstanding?  With Twitter, which I have no experience using, I can't find a way to sign in so I can get to my Profile page and edit it.  Others have their posts listed there, but not me; also, is there an easy one-step way to getting to our particular stream?  Thanks in advance.  .  

I appreciate everything that's being done to streamline and organize the course communications.  I may be the last holdout in still having problems signing into both TCM msg. board and Twitter.  TCM seems to require that I re-register, or at least get a new password, each time.  Is this the case or am I just misunderstanding?  With Twitter, which I have no experience using, I can't find a way to sign in so I can get to my Profile page and edit it.  Others have their posts listed there, but not me; also, is there an easy one-step way to getting to our particular stream?  Thanks in advance.  .  

TCM Message Boards do not require you to get a new password each time, so something is not set up properly in your official account. Are you trying to use "guest" accounts each time? You need to set up your own account, and the button (it's in green and called "Create Account) for doing is at the right hand top of this screen at TCM: http://forums.tcm.com/

Regarding Twitter, there has been a bunch of discussion about that for people who are new to Twitter on the Canvas Discussion boards. We are using the hashtag, #NoirSummer. If you sign up for Twitter and search for #NoirSummer, you will find the other course discussions that have been happening in tweet form.

Hope this helps. And PS, since there are 15,000 students now, if other students out there are savvy with Twitter, please help those who aren't. I am increasingly having trouble keeping up with the amount of comments, as you would expect, so any help others can provide the course is much appreciated! 

Brand new to this, I just joined the message board is there anything else I should do to get ready for the course??

Yes, there is an entire course over at Canvas.net. You should have gotten instructions for that when you signed up for the course. The best place to start is at the course site, and there you will find valuable information about this course. Thanks!

• Like 1

Probably a dumb question, but how do I see replies to my posts? I get e-mail notifications, but the links take me to the tops of the message boards, not to my posts or replies to my posts, and these are some looong message boards. I can see my posts if I go to my profile, but I can't see replies there.

What's the trick I don't know?

Probably a dumb question, but how do I see replies to my posts? I get e-mail notifications, but the links take me to the tops of the message boards, not to my posts or replies to my posts, and these are some looong message boards. I can see my posts if I go to my profile, but I can't see replies there.

What's the trick I don't know?

One just has to go to the thread where you have posted and scroll down to your post and than up from there to see replies to your post.

Yea,  somewhat of a pain, depending on how often one goes to a specific thread.   e.g. If one comes to the thread fairly often than there are only a few 'new' message and one doesn't have to scroll down very far.    

• Like 1

One just has to go to the thread where you have posted and scroll down to your post and than up from there to see replies to your post.

Yea,  somewhat of a pain, depending on how often one goes to a specific thread.   e.g. If one comes to the tread fairly often than there are only a few 'new' message and one doesn't have to scroll down very far.

Thanks, James. This time when I logged on there was a little red "notifications" button lit up at the top right. That's the first time I've seen that so maybe that's the ticket.

Thanks, James. This time when I logged on there was a little red "notifications" button lit up at the top right. That's the first time I've seen that so maybe that's the ticket.

It's actually a little easier than that. When you come to the board, instead of clicking on the thread itself, look at the little icon to the left of the thread title. If it's a circle, that means you've never posted in that thread but there have been new posts since you last looked at it. If there's a small star, it means you've posted but there's nothing new since your last visit. If there's a big star it means you've posted, and there are new comments since your last visit.

There's nothing that will easily take you to replies to your thread, but clicking on those icons instead of the thread link itself will take you instantly to the first post since your last visit. This should make it a bit easier to navigate what's new and what's old. One thing I've been doing is; I always 'like' the comment I'm replying to, that way the author knows someone has read their post and there might be something on the thread to check out.

• Like 2