TimHare

Need one piece of helpful info I cannot find

13 posts in this topic

I have to "catch up" daily on the Summer of Darkness board - but when I open a topic, the newest message is at the top.  How can I change the sort order of the messages within a topic? I can't find out how to do it.  I changed the sort order on the board to A-Z but it didn't affect the order of the mssages

• Like 1

I don't think you can do it, TimHare.  There's been discussion around the boards for a while about it being better if you could see the original thread-starting post first, but until something changes I don't believe there's any way to reverse the order when looking at a thread.  The most recent post shows first and that's that.

I have to "catch up" daily on the Summer of Darkness board - but when I open a topic, the newest message is at the top.  How can I change the sort order of the messages within a topic? I can't find out how to do it.  I changed the sort order on the board to A-Z but it didn't affect the order of the mssages

The only feature that might help you is the 'view new content' feature.    This will show you all sub-forums that contain threads you have NOT read yet.     But it will show you the most recent unread thread first so you're have to scroll down to the oldest unread thread. 

This is really backwards. Posts should be in chronological order and if you want to see the newest posts you can use the view new content button. Not only that, posts can't be refered to by number because the post number changes as new posts are made. Argh!

Surely this can be fixed by the moderator.

This is really backwards. Posts should be in chronological order and if you want to see the newest posts you can use the view new content button. Not only that, posts can't be refered to by number because the post number changes as new posts are made. Argh!

Surely this can be fixed by the moderator.

The moderator has mentioned that they do NOT want this changed;  they think it is best to show newest posts first.    I think there should be an user option so each user can set their preference. 

But really,  in a thread that has, say,  50 post,  why would anyone want to see the 50th oldest post FIRST  (and a post that could have been posted months if not years ago),   and every time one goes to that thread you see this same oldest post FIRST.  

Anyhow,  'view new content' is the best feature,  but this could also be improved.  It should take one to the oldest unread post instead of the newest unread one.      

In an open thread, under the thread title, you can click on some previous page number, or the original first page of the thread.

Also, click on the Page 1 of 14 (or whatever) listing and type in a number and that will take you to the page number you want.

• Like 1

Every other message board I've ever encountered (and I post on quite a few) has been in chronological order.  It makes my head spin to come here, click on a thread and find the first message is not the opening post but an answer to something three pages back.  Yes, I can go to the very end and work forward but it's like reading from right to left -- very contrary to instinct.  The result is lots of repetitious posts because people don't know the same thing has already been said.

• Like 1

Every other message board I've ever encountered (and I post on quite a few) has been in chronological order.  It makes my head spin to come here, click on a thread and find the first message is not the opening post but an answer to something three pages back.  Yes, I can go to the very end and work forward but it's like reading from right to left -- very contrary to instinct.  The result is lots of repetitious posts because people don't know the same thing has already been said.

Yes, one has to scroll up to see 'newer' post and down for 'older' ones.     That is a mistake.

I hope that doesn't cause you to not participate.   I'm for anyone that is a fan is of Ida Lupino.      :D

• Like 1

I think this is TCM's attempt to duplicate the Flashback effect in films.

Could you just try to enjoy it?

I think this is TCM's attempt to duplicate the Flashback effect in films.

Could you just try to enjoy it?

Well the way this works it is like the Flashbacks in The Locket.   

Yeah, James but at least Laraine Day is not around the TCM environs to kill anyone or steal their diamond bracelets!

Agree with this entire post and most of the others ... I"m on many other forums and a mod on 4 and this is just assinine.  I recognize this software and it has the capability to let users customize it to personalize the way content is presented but it's just not activated.  I'd also like the ability to change the number of comments on a page to more than the 10 or whatever is the default so I'm not constantly click the next preceeding number and scolling down to the bottom of each page as many times.

Very clunky and probably why there are less active members than I had hoped this site would have ... I don't read a book back to front from bottom of the page to the top and then flip to the previous page and then scroll to the bottom jeesh.

• Like 1

Agree with this entire post and most of the others ... I"m on many other forums and a mod on 4 and this is just assinine.  I recognize this software and it has the capability to let users customize it to personalize the way content is presented but it's just not activated.  I'd also like the ability to change the number of comments on a page to more than the 10 or whatever is the default so I'm not constantly click the next preceeding number and scolling down to the bottom of each page as many times.

Very clunky and probably why there are less active members than I had hoped this site would have ... I don't read a book back to front from bottom of the page to the top and then flip to the previous page and then scroll to the bottom jeesh.

The custom user features of 'view new content' (which only shows threads that specific user hasn't 'read') and clinking the 'star' that takes one to the 'last read post in a thread for that user' work well.

BUT yea,  even using these useful user specific features requires one to scroll UP to read threads in order.