tallguy58

Can't upload a profile picture

34 posts in this topic

Hi tallguy58

The option to use a picture from your computer is not working at the moment. We are looking into it. 

But if you can upload the image to one of the many image hosting sites, you can use the URL to get your picture here. 

I hope this helps!

But if you can upload the image to one of the many image hosting sites, you can use the URL to get your picture here. 

I tried that...couldn't get that to work either! 

Try photobucket. I've rarely had a problem, and I just used that site to upload my latest profile picture.

Try photobucket. I've rarely had a problem, and I just used that site to upload my latest profile picture.

Perhaps I'm over-thinking it, or perhaps I'm just stupid...I tried Photobucket and still couldn't upload it.

Photobucket worked! Thank you very much! 

OK, I give up. I have tried countless times to put a picture in my avatar image, yet nothing happens. So here I am - asking - what am I doing wrong?

Under My Name I click My Profile

I click on My Avatar image (where the word "change" appears)

Under Step 1 I click Use a Custom Photo

I click on browse which takes me to a photo file on my hard drive and I double click on a photo

Under Step 2

I click Done.

But nothing happens. Would somebody please tell me what step I left out or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Message Board Dummy

OK, I give up. I have tried countless times to put a picture in my avatar image, yet nothing happens. So here I am - asking - what am I doing wrong?

I click on browse which takes me to a photo file on my hard drive and I double click on a photo

Under Step 2

I click Done.

But nothing happens. Would somebody please tell me what step I left out or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Message Board Dummy

Tom,

The pictures for the avatars have to be a certain size. If they are too big, the system won't allow them to post.

That may be why you are having problems. 

Try making the photo you want for your avatar smaller, that might help, your avatar photo can only 50kb or smaller.

Hope that helps!

Thanks very much, Izcutter, but I have been taking photo size into account, as well. Just now I tried to browse and download a ,jpg photo that was 27.2 kb.

As you can see by my avatar image, once again, it didn't work.

Under Step 2

I click Done.

Thanks,

Message Board Dummy

I know this is a simple thing, but all bases must be covered. 

When you say "I click Done", have you also returned to the bottom of the Profile page after clicking Done to click Save Changes?

Then there's also this: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/53549-cant-upload-a-profile-picture/

No longer relevant

I had the same problem, so I uploaded Tor to photobucket, then imported the image with its url, and it worked perfectly.

Photobucket worked! Thank you very much! 

You're welcome, and welcome to the boards.

At the present time, uploading a picture from your computer is not working.  I will let everyone know when it's fixed. For the time being, you must upload the picture you wish to use to any image hosting site, then use the URL to upload it to your profile here 

I created a thread this afternoon in Off Topic Chit Chat, and now it's gone.

It's title was, I believe, Changing My Avatar - What Have I Done Wrong?, or something close to that, at least. And I was asking how to change the pix in my avatar, with which I have had no luck. The last time I checked there was one response from Izcutter about the size of the photo used (which, unfortunately, didn't help me).

But now the thread is GONE! VANISHED! KAPUT!

Nor is there any indication here that it was moved to another forum. It appears to have been given the big heave ho.

Why?  It was an innocent question and I have great difficulty believing that something happened on the thread afterward to warrant being sent to the land of vanquished threads that are no more.

Anyone know what the heck happened to it? Hopefully this thread won't follow it into message board Siberia.

By the way, since I have your attention here, if anyone can tell me how to post a pix on my avatar it would be much appreciated. I've tried numerous times without any success.

Whooosshh!

Look down in the Problems with the Message Boards forum. It wasn't moved as a separate topic, it appears to have been melded with another poster's like problem.

That's pretty cool how they did that. I'm looking for that button...

found this old 'sticky' from Lynn

5) Adding an avatar and changing your time zone.

Go to your name at the top of the page and a pull-down menu should appear.

post-8025-0-94056000-1396820090_thumb.jp

Click on My Profile and that should take you the Profile page. Once there, on the right corner you should see the "Edit My Profile" button:

post-8025-0-25194300-1396820356_thumb.jp

Click on that button and it should take you here:

post-8025-0-96558200-1396820616_thumb.jp

Click on the "Change Photo" button to add or change your avatar. Keep in mind that your avatar can only 50kb or smaller.

Right under that button is where you can change the time zone to match the one you are in. Just use the pull down menu to find your time zone.

Be sure to hit the "Save Changes" button at the bottom before leaving the page.

Thanks very much for your assistances, mr6666 and Kid.

A little ironic, considering that I'm baffled by the mystery of how to post an avatar pix here, that my chosen image is one of Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes.

• Like 1

I had trouble changing mine today too.  I tried just uploading it and it didn't work.  I ended up having to upload the picture to TinyPic and then putting the TinyPic link into the URL box in order to upload my new pic. 

I noticed BOTH your avatar changes, Tom & Speedy in other threads. Like them both! Especially Errol in color!

I def think subjects that pertain to "fixing" how the board works -even your profile-should be in the message board "problem" or "instruction" sub-forums.

Yes, and it was changed from a thread on its own to a post within the Can't Upload a Profile Picture thread. Pretty tricky, eh? No wonder I had a few problems finding it at first.

• Like 1

I had trouble changing mine today too.  I tried just uploading it and it didn't work.  I ended up having to upload the picture to TinyPic and then putting the TinyPic link into the URL box in order to upload my new pic. 

Same here, speedy, except that I used Photobucket.

Hey, shouldn't our two avatars be duelling with one another?

As some have noticed, threads of the same topic have been merged together. We do not have the ability to leave a redirect link when we do that, so I apologize for the inconvenience. 

Uploading a picture from your computer to use as your avatar is not working at the moment. Please upload to one of the many image hosting sites (many of which are free), and use the URL to get your chosen picture in here.