Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Film festivals?

9 posts in this topic

I realized we did not have a thread in this sub-forum about gay and lesbian film festivals. Usually every June, there are a bunch of them across the country. Probably during other months, too.

I thought it might be a good idea to post about them here and to discuss some of the different offerings at these festivals.

Anyone attending a festival somewhere...?

Little disappointed nobody's commented on this thread-- I was hoping people were having good festival experiences during Pride Month and eager to share out about them...guess not!

I didn't go to any film festivals this month, but in January I did attend the Cleveland International Film Festival, and saw a film I forget the name of...but it was a film from Brazil, and it was about a blind boy who befriends someone at school, and disrupts the friendship of between him and his best friend because of the time they spend together. He eventually repairs his relationship with his best friend, and grows closer to the new friend. 

• Like 1

The film- at least the English title, was called The Way He Looks. 

Thanks hepclassic!

I never responded here because technically there is no local gay and lesbian film festival, though the local annual festival does heavily feature these films. Since it takes place in what is widely considered to be a gay hot spot, I think there's a certain resistance to being perceived as being a "gay" festival, which I find understandable since they program a wide range of films. Anyway, in the "offseason" they operate a small two-screen theater which often screens films which were originally featured in the festival. I was just able to see Tab Hunter Confidential, which I mentioned in another thread, but which I thought I should talk about here so that the other thread could proceed in its intended direction.

Tab looks great and his memories seem clear and pointed. He seems very happy in a life away from movies, with not a lot of bitterness about how his gayness was sometimes used against him. One thing I found interesting was that Jack Warner was supportive after Confidential published its article about Tab's early-1950's arrest at a "limp-wristed pajama party", basically telling Tab to ignore it and move on. The article came about because, and I don't think just "allegedly", agent Henry Willson traded the story and a story about Rory Calhoun's arrest record in order to squelch a planned article outing Rock Hudson, Willson's biggest client. After he left Warner Bros. when they began building Troy Donahue into the "new" Tab Hunter, he became an easier target without the protection of a studio and there was some very unsubtle sniping by the press.

Tab speaks candidly about his relationship with Anthony Perkins, as well as with a professional skater Tab was deelpy involved with whose bosses eventually forbade the skater to be seen publicly with Tab, which ended the relationship. He's now in a 30+ year relationship and happily spends his time with his horses. He acknowledges that he didn't become open about his sexuality until very late in life, but by telling his story now he has shown the extent of the need for public figures of his time to conform and the perils of straying from that conformity.

• Like 1

I never responded here because technically there is no local gay and lesbian film festival, though the local annual festival does heavily feature these films. Since it takes place in what is widely considered to be a gay hot spot, I think there's a certain resistance to being perceived as being a "gay" festival, which I find understandable since they program a wide range of films. Anyway, in the "offseason" they operate a small two-screen theater which often screens films which were originally featured in the festival. I was just able to see Tab Hunter Confidential, which I mentioned in another thread, but which I thought I should talk about here so that the other thread could proceed in its intended direction.

Tab looks great and his memories seem clear and pointed. He seems very happy in a life away from movies, with not a lot of bitterness about how his gayness was sometimes used against him. One thing I found interesting was that Jack Warner was supportive after Confidential published its article about Tab's early-1950's arrest at a "limp-wristed pajama party", basically telling Tab to ignore it and move on. The article came about because, and I don't think just "allegedly", agent Henry Willson traded the story and a story about Rory Calhoun's arrest record in order to squelch a planned article outing Rock Hudson, Willson's biggest client. After he left Warner Bros. when they began building Troy Donahue into the "new" Tab Hunter, he became an easier target without the protection of a studio and there was some very unsubtle sniping by the press.

Tab speaks candidly about his relationship with Anthony Perkins, as well as with a professional skater Tab was deelpy involved with whose bosses eventually forbade the skater to be seen publicly with Tab, which ended the relationship. He's now in a 30+ year relationship and happily spends his time with his horses. He acknowledges that he didn't become open about his sexuality until very late in life, but by telling his story now he has shown the extent of the need for public figures of his time to conform and the perils of straying from that conformity.

Great post...thanks for including it within this thread. I would say there were perils in conforming (obviously). But having outlived the old moguls and agents, some are now freer to conduct life on their own terms.

What I find interesting is that a lot of these guys remained friendly with Rock, but I wonder if Rock ever had any guilt about some of these actors getting tossed under the proverbial bus in order to protect his own movie career. His success often came at a price that these other men paid on his behalf.

• Like 1

Great post...thanks for including it within this thread. I would say there were perils in conforming (obviously). But having outlived the old moguls and agents, some are now freer to conduct life on their own terms.

What I find interesting is that a lot of these guys remained friendly with Rock, but I wonder if Rock ever had any guilt about some of these actors getting tossed under the proverbial bus in order to protect his own movie career. His success often came at a price that these other men paid on his behalf.

Good question about Rock. It seems very unlikely he wouldn't have known or been able to figure out what happened. It's not something that could have been passed off as the luck of the draw if his agent, acting on his behalf, engineered the whole thing. I'd hope Rock felt some guilt about it, but by some accounts he was able to compartmentalize his marriage and still keep on seeing guys, so maybe he could isolate his guilt about Tab's fate that way too. Rock wrote (or co-wrote) his story shortly before he died in an apparent attempt to neutralize a competing (unauthorized) biography, but all-in-all it seems like the true story of Rock Hudson is yet to be told.

• Like 1