Sign in to follow this  
MarshaKatz

Richard Widmark & Bette Davis

6 posts in this topic

Sorry to see that TCM will not be featuring Richard Widmark and Bette Davis in Summer Under The Stars. Miss Davis is my favorite actress and Mr. Widmark is a particular favorite actor of mine who never seems to get enough recognition. Mr. Widmark is also missing from Summer of Darkness and that's a shame because his "film noir" movies are quite wonderful e.g. Kiss of Death, Night And The City, Pickup on South Street, Panic In The Streets, Yellow Sky (it may be considered a western but I consider it in film noir as well), Road House, and Run For The Sun. Miss Davis is just the best darn actress ever in this gal's opinion and I'd like to see her in next year's Summer Under The Stars festival. 

Sorry to see that TCM will not be featuring Richard Widmark and Bette Davis in Summer Under The Stars. Miss Davis is my favorite actress and Mr. Widmark is a particular favorite actor of mine who never seems to get enough recognition. Mr. Widmark is also missing from Summer of Darkness and that's a shame because his "film noir" movies are quite wonderful e.g. Kiss of Death, Night And The City, Pickup on South Street, Panic In The Streets, Yellow Sky (it may be considered a western but I consider it in film noir as well), Road House, and Run For The Sun. Miss Davis is just the best darn actress ever in this gal's opinion and I'd like to see her in next year's Summer Under The Stars festival. 

While Bette Davis is also my favorite actress TCM features Bette Davis a lot.   One reason is that TCM tends to focus on the films from Warner Brothers,  MGM and RKO;  the old Ted Turner library of films.     Since Davis was under contract at WB from 1931 until 1948 TCM shows a lot of her films from this period (as well as her later films like All About Eve etc..).

But yea,  I can't get too much of Bette Davis and I do wish that TCM would feature some of her lessor known films from the 30s (i.e. TCM tends to focus on the 'hits'.   

Now Richard Widmark was under contract at 20th Century Fox.    Fox has its own networks like MOVIE-TV etc...  Therefore TCM doesn't show many Fox films.     So TCM doesn't show a lot of Fox contract players like Gene Tierney,  Dana Andrews,   Victor Mature,  Linda Darnell,  Susan Hayward,  Widmark, etc...    Of course TCM will show these stars when they made movies for other studios (say after their contract with Fox had ended).    From time to time they TCM will also lease a Fox film like Laura.

Hi Marsha--

James is right about the frequency with which TCM airs Bette Davis films and Richard Widmark films. They are not under-represented looking at TCM airplay. I do agree that it would be nice for Widmark to get a tribute of some kind-- even a primetime spotlight with two or three of his Fox films would make a lot of viewers happy. :)

Hi Marsha--

James is right about the frequency with which TCM airs Bette Davis films and Richard Widmark films. They are not under-represented looking at TCM airplay. I do agree that it would be nice for Widmark to get a tribute of some kind-- even a primetime spotlight with two or three of his Fox films would make a lot of viewers happy. :)

Yea, I was hoping that during the noir months that TCM would show Night and the City.    This is a first rate noir.    MOVIES-TV does show it a lot so I have seen it twice in the last few months but always with commercials (of course).     Classic Fox noirs are generally missing from the noir tribute with the exception of Laura.  

Yea, I was hoping that during the noir months that TCM would show Night and the City.    This is a first rate noir.    MOVIES-TV does show it a lot so I have seen it twice in the last few months but always with commercials (of course).     Classic Fox noirs are generally missing from the noir tribute with the exception of Laura.  

But LAURA did not start playing (overplaying?) on TCM until about two years ago. I remember discussing its absence in several threads before it became a TCM premiere then a TCM Essential. Another Fox classic that TCM sometimes airs a lot, then stops airing altogether is THE GRAPES OF WRATH. These films go in cycles, depending upon TCM's leasing agreements with Fox.

I still think they can pony up and do a night of Widmark films. That'd be easy.

Even though this movie was aired on a Faye Dunaway tribute day, I enjoyed it when TCM premiered the 1989 made-for-cable movie COLD SASSY TREE which co-starred Richard Widmark.  I'd watch it again.