Sir David

A suitable drink to accompany Noir Friday?

54 posts in this topic

I thought this cocktail was particularly appropriate for this week's filmic extravaganza: the classic Noir film, The Killers was based on a short story by Ernest Hemingway who - when he was a young and up-and-coming writer - had a liking for a Whisky Sour, a liking for which I share and indeed am imbibing as I type! 

Whisky Sour

1.5 - 2 oz bourbon

0.5 oz simple syrup

0.5 oz fresh lemon juice

Add to a cocktail shaker with ice, shake and strain into a glass...not forgetting the 1 or 3 maraschino cherries (even numbers being unlucky) as a garnish.

Here's a good drink for film noir fans and characters alike. You'll need the following ingredients:

1 crumpled, brown paper bag

1 bottle of rotgut, cheap, blended

Scotch, Bourbon, or rye.

If you're slightly high class, choose

the scotch. If you're a loser in

the dregs, get the rye.

Insert the bottle in the bag.

Open the bottle.

Enjoy! And don't worry about that

hangover in the morning.

• Like 5

Oh yeah: never ever drink vodka, only gin, preferably from a bathtub and only if whiskey/whisky is not available and if you're a girl. But real noir women, the down and out ones, drink whiskey.The only other booze that you can have is champagne, IF you are the femme fatale or la femme de désir sexuel, who usually are broads running in the upper crust. If they have champagne, you drink champagne. But your booze if choice, your go-to is always cheap, blended whiskey/whisky. No fruity, creamy or sweet girly drinks for you! Not even for any real noir woman!

• Like 1

Straight from Scarlet Street: when mild mannered cashier, Christopher Cross (Edward G Robinson) rescues the trampy vamp Kitty March (Joan Bennett) from her abusive boyfriend he suggests a drink before they part, she agrees and chooses this drink, the Rum Collins:

2oz light rum 

Juice of one lime

1 teaspoon powdered sugar,

Soda water

Add the rum, lime and sugar to a shaker, shake and pour into a highball glass over ice. top with soda water, decorate with lemon slice and cocktail cherries (odd number of cherries only, remember, evens are bad luck!)

I love The Thin Man series, though I always wondered how those two were even conscious most of the time, let alone being out there solving crime! 

I LOVE the Thin Man series and it never fails to make me giggle as they shake the martinis up, then jump in the auto to solve the mystery! Yes, drinking and driving = bad, but the entertainment value is so good! I much prefer it to the bloody thrillers of today.

• Like 1

I prefer a Brass Knuckle!

Slug of Bourbon or Rye

Ginger Ale

splash of soda water

served in a rocks glass over ice

no garnish because garnishes are for dames and gunsels! :) However, if you would like a garnish try a lime wedge or peel.

• Like 2

I prefer a Brass Knuckle!

Slug of Bourbon or Rye

Ginger Ale

splash of soda water

served in a rocks glass over ice

no garnish because garnishes are for dames and gunsels! :) However, if you would like a garnish try a lime wedge or peel.

I like any drink that starts off with a slug!

• Like 2

If i drank the way these folks did in these movies, conversation and walking would be quite difficult!  I guess I'm a light-weight!  Hahahaha!

The Thin Man series never fails to amaze me with the amount of drinking. Nora Charles keeps up with husband Nick when she asks how many martinis he's had before she arrived (6). She promptly tells the waiter that she will have 6 and just line them up right here on the table - whew! In another one of the movies, at a hugh party, she orders up several case or scotch and also a "flock" of sandwiches. Maybe that's how they could still walk and talk! Doesn't work for me - I'd be passed out on the floor!!!!

• Like 1

Just thought of another good one! Moscow Mule

juice of one lime

couple shots of vodka

top off with ginger beer

serve in a copper mug

Veddy tasty!

• Like 1

juice of one lime

couple shots of vodka

top off with ginger beer

serve in a copper mug

Veddy tasty!

Gosh, what boring taste I have!!  I'm basically a white wine drinker!    Like so many who have posted before me, I, too, am always amazed at how much Nick and Nora Charles drink in The Thin Man movies!!  There's not enough sandwiches in the world to keep everyone sober.  I, for one, would be unconscious!!

It's a hot summer evening, the shadows are taking on a velvet hue, lightened only by pools of pearl street lamps and the dark is drawing out the people you simply don't want to know...it's getting Noir out there and the side of your drink is beading with sweat...it's going to be a long night and you need to cool down with a: 

Gin Rickey

1.5 oz Gin

Juice of 1/2 Lime

Ice

Soda water

lime wedge

• Like 1

So did everyone have a soda dispenser in the 40's? I mean in The Big Sleep alone it seems like every room had a small bar set. After watching Murder, my Sweet and the Mildred pierce I decided whiskey Soda would be my drink for noir night. Yes I also have dispenser:)

My drink of choice for noir night would be either a dirty vodka martini (suffer with some style :) ), or scotch or whiskey on the rocks.

Love that movie and glad to read it can be considered neo noir.

I really enjoyed that alfredo garcia as well. And think it is one of Peckinpah's best and a great Peckinpah-esque picture, but neo-noir? That strikes me as a real, real stretch. If that's a neo-noir then so is a movie like Rolling Thunder, which is a bridge too far. Some elements? Granted, but you could say there are elements of numerous types of pictures in Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia. 

It's closer to being a western, I'd say, than a noir, though it's not a western either.

In the Big Sleep, Bogie had a bottle of Rye in his pocket. However, I prefer a vodka martini with a lemon twist, shaken - not stirred. ;)

Would you be Miss Bond?  :)

• Like 1

My drink of choice for noir night would be either a dirty vodka martini (suffer with some style :) ), or scotch or whiskey on the rocks.

I really enjoyed that alfredo garcia as well. And think it is one of Peckinpah's best and a great Peckinpah-esque picture, but neo-noir? That strikes me as a real, real stretch. If that's a neo-noir then so is a movie like Rolling Thunder, which is a bridge too far. Some elements? Granted, but you could say there are elements of numerous types of pictures in Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

It's closer to being a western, I'd say, than a noir, though it's not a western either.

Could argue that is as close to neo-westerns as Peckinpah was seemingly exploring in his latter career. He also delved in the turn of the century and old west meets new west. Interesting someone read neo-noir into Bring me the Head of...

My drink of choice would be whiskey on the rocks with tequila chasers ????

juice of one lime

couple shots of vodka

top off with ginger beer

serve in a copper mug

Veddy tasty!

When I was a freshman in college, my roomate and I went to a bar where we could purchase the drink and the copper mug it came in.  Still have the mug, but it says Smirnoff Mule.  We only bought one drink each though.  Probably switched to bourbon and Coke as it was the popular beginning drink for underage drinkers in the South.  Lots of adults drink it also.  

Interestingly, we were both only 18 and purchasing hard liquor was illegal.  Of course at that time in S.C., serving anything other than beer in bars was illegal.  So, why worry about age limits.

• Like 1

In the Big Sleep, Bogie had a bottle of Rye in his pocket. However, I prefer a vodka martini with a lemon twist, shaken - not stirred. ;)

Every time I see this scene I wonder how many guys carried a bottle in their pocktes.  For Spade, it would be a gun, lots of keys, money, badge, ID, etc.  Maybe that's why men wore coats so much then - needed all the pockets for the liquor.

• Like 1

juice of one lime

couple shots of vodka

top off with ginger beer

serve in a copper mug

Veddy tasty!

For an alternative, a Dark and Stormy is tremendous:

2 oz Dark Rum (should be Goslings Black Seal)

8 oz Ginger Beer

Lime wedge

• Like 3

Could argue that is as close to neo-westerns as Peckinpah was seemingly exploring in his latter career. He also delved in the turn of the century and old west meets new west. Interesting someone read neo-noir into Bring me the Head of...

My drink of choice would be whiskey on the rocks with tequila chasers

Of course it's Noir, its as Noir as any Neo Noir set in Western North America. A family scandal (a unwed pregnant daughter) causes a wealthy and powerful Mexican rancher (Fernandez) to make the pronouncement--'Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia!' Causing a flurry of activity.

Two of the bounty-hunters dispatched Robert Webber and Gig Young encounter a local piano-player Bennie (Oates) in their hunt for information. Bennie does a little investigating on his own and finds out that his hooker girlfriend Elita (Vega) knows of Garcia's death and last resting place. Thinking that he can make some easy money and gain financial security for himself and his (now) fiancée, they set off on this goal. To get the head of Alfredo Garcia.

Bennie's whole world goes t-i-t-s up, he looses everybody he cared for, and is reduced to having conversations with Al's head as he barrels across Mexico leaving blue contrails in a '62 Chevy Impala.

This is also the anti-Casablanca, You just feel, after watching this, that all the over extravagant Hollywood versions of expat Americans in far off lands and their bars/nightclubs are way way too antiseptic and safe and the women in them way too virginal. This film made between the end of the Hayes Code and before PC hits the nail on the head. You get a feeling that this was more like it would have been. Peckinpah's twisted take on Rick's Place in "Casablanca", Bennie's Tlaquepaque tourist bar

<spoilers>

Everybody dies, as Noir as you can get. ;)

• Like 1

From The Big Clock (1948) comes this drink:

The Stinger

5cl Cognac

2cl (White) Creme de menthe

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass

At one stage George Stroud calls for the cocktail to be made with green creme de menthe instead of white, which is known as a Green Hornet.

• Like 3

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us