Film Fan 50s 60s 70s

THEM! (1954)

10 posts in this topic

It will also be airing again soon on TCM, along with other giant bug movies like THE FLY and THE SWARM. On June 18th.

• Like 1

You didn't say exactly what you enjoy most about it...

Well, what I enjoy most is drama of the film. It's well filmed drama, imo. The pacing is good. Alien is well filmed and well-paced drama. I don't know more how to describe it. If someone appreciates well filmed dramas, than I think they should check out Them!

• Like 1

Well, what I enjoy most is drama of the film. It's well filmed drama, imo. The pacing is good. Alien is well filmed and well-paced drama. I don't know more how to describe it. If someone appreciates well filmed dramas, than I think they should check out Them!

I will agree the pacing is good. The suspense builds very nicely in THEM.

The moment I like the most is when the young girl who was rescued from the site of the first attack is being loaded into an ambulence. She's in shock and totally unresponsive, but then we hear the insect sound in the distance. The attendants are focused on other things and don't see the girl slowly sit up with a look of total terror on her face. The sound fades and she lies back down, completely unnoticed by the men. It's a moment worthy of Hitchcock, making the audience a party to something nobody in the movie knows.

• Like 1

The best of the giant bug movies IMO. Still amazing how well the special effects hold up today. Great mystery and suspense and the serious performances from Gwenn, Arness, and Whitmore really suspend your disbelief. Don't miss Leonard Nimoy's cameo

• Like 3

The best of the giant bug movies IMO. Still amazing how well the special effects hold up today. Great mystery and suspense and the serious performances from Gwenn, Arness, and Whitmore really suspend your disbelief. Don't miss Leonard Nimoy's cameo

And Fess Parker nearly steals the movie as the airman who first sees the flying ants but is not believed-at least in the beginning.  A year later we all would know who he was in that coonskin cap.  

And Fess Parker nearly steals the movie as the airman who first sees the flying ants but is not believed-at least in the beginning.  A year later we all would know who he was in that coonskin cap.  

And the actor I was get a laugh with is Olin Howland as Jensen:

"Make me a sergeant in charge of the booze!"